Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Kelly or Franklin could be in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
FYI, Rutgers wanted to talk to Phil Longo (Sam Houston St OC) for their OC opening, and was told he's a done deal to Ole Miss.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Man it's gonna be fun when all your athletic programs are awful. Can't even play the "but Iowa City isn't awful unlike the rest of Iowa" card now. It all needs to be cleansed by fire.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

Piscataway even beats out West Lafayette as the worst Big Ten city.

Y'all have never been to College Park. I'm guessing not Piscataway either? Because College Park is loving horrible.

Piscataway is just a generic suburb. New Brunswick is cool enough.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am going to say there's prolly a little Stockholm Syndrome here, tbh. Everything I've ever heard about him points to him being a complete rear end in a top hat who thinks its okay to put hands on players.

Yeah dude is a loving crazy person.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Roasted Donut posted:

Shut the gently caress up you jersey pile of poo poo. Rutgers sucks, bitch.

No New Jersey is great and Rutgers is great, Pennsylvania is horrible and needs to be exterminated.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I can't wait to leave New Jersey, like everyone who somehow finds themselves in Jersey.

Nope, we're a huge destination for immigrants, and young people who want to get out of whatever shithole they're from and can't afford New York, or 30+ New Yorkers who want to settle down.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's awesome and I'm thrilled that you guys are staying where you are instead of driving up our skyrocketing rents even further.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Sash! posted:

If you've ever thought "I want to find a place that combines with rundown shittiness of the Rust Belt with the expenses of the urban Northeast, married to New York elitism," then New Jersey might be the place for you!

You know it's actually a gigantic upscale suburb for the most part like the rest of the northeast?

Kill is a lovely hire and I am really upset right now.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Sash! posted:

Is there some other New Jersey because the only one I've ever seen is the lovely one that's got Newark, Jersey City, and Trenton.

Yes. The highways are routed through the poor areas and don't touch the rich ones. NJ is like a sci fi dystopia with a gini of 70 billion. Princeton is the rule in NJ, not Trenton.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

New Jersey is like the arm pit of America and going to school at WVU with roughly 4k Rutgers rejects has made me loving hate the state with a burning passion. Moving to the Big Ten was prolly a good move for all the money, but Rutgers pretty much doomed themselves to never being able to win more than 7/8 games ever.

I spent a week over the summer in West Virginia (panhandle) and desperately want the entire place razed. I spent every second wanting to go back to civilization.

Pretty much every program that isn't a traditional power, that's how it is unless you luck into a great coach.

Thoguh posted:

But enough about their basketball team...

They're already at more wins than that due to having a horrible schedule. They have an average coach now instead of the worst in America, which helps a lot.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

But enough about New Jersey

Your state has Flint and Detroit. Michigan and really the entire Midwest is a gigantic shithole.

Rutgers isn't over matched in the Big Ten, it's a garbage conference. The old Big East was harder. What they are is Flood wrecked the program.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Detroit is at least interesting and has people interested in making it better. Also everything to the north and west of those cities is wildly different from them.

The exact same could be said for New Jersey. Only we're literally richer, healthier, and smarter.

Regnevelc posted:

Rutgers was trying to force a rivalry with Michigan this offseason.

That was the result.

No they did not. In fact, if anyone was doing anything like that it was Chris Partridge.

Kyle Flood wrecked the program and it will be a tough rebuild. None of that changes the Big Ten being horrible.

AsInHowe posted:

It included people leaving a Rutgers teddy bear on the field of a Michigan satellite camp, and an acrostic poem reading GOFUCKYOURSELF.

A dumb frat did this, meanwhile your LB coach was publicly taunting Rutgers on Twitter when they weren't even in the same stratosphere. What does 80-7 to WVU have to that? It too was the year after a dumb coach wrecked the program.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Rutgers is historically awful, a bad fit in the Big Ten, and KJI is a really annoying poster.

No they're not (you know you can look up historical W-L records right), geographically yes but it's a horrible football conference that only cares about money, and a mod started it. Stop pretending the Big Ten isn't horrible and Midwestern states aren't hellholes that make Syria look appealing by comparison.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

You always say this and I constantly have to point out that actually Rutgers is historically bad for a power conference team. You're Northwestern/Kentucky level at best. That's really loving bad. I'm not going to waste my time actually comparing Rutgers to other "power 5" teams again, but you're bottom 10%.

I've said they're at the same level as Kentucky, South Carolina, and Oregon State. That's not what's been argued.

quote:

You also seem to have the stupid idea that the entire Midwest is somehow Detroit, so I'm going to continue judging all of Jersey as being Camden or wherever your shittiest place is now.

I'm not the one who started this. I know Ann Arbor and Grosse Pointe are nice. Percentage wise, there's a lot more of those in New Jersey than in Michigan or the rest of the region. When you look at the aggregate stats, it's a terrific place by any metric. Albeit painfully boring at times.

quote:

The Big 10 let in your awful team for no real reason given that cable TV is dying and they are not going to make any money in the mythical New York Cable Market by virtue of having a lovely 1-10 Rutgers team in. Great my team gets a free 78-0 win every year instead of playing an actual interesting team or having room for another non conference game. Cool. No reason at all for the rest of the conference to be mad about it.

Maryland also sucks and should not be in the Big 10 if that makes you feel better. Although at least they're good at basketball instead of also being one of the worst major conference schools in the history of the NCAA at that too.

Actually the Big Ten is going to make a lot more money as a result, and I'm shocked you said that given how easily it's disproved. And no, Rutgers isn't one of the worst major conference schools in the history of NCAA basketball.

No poo poo they are really bad at football right now. That's Kyle Flood's fault. That will be corrected, and they'll be comfortably middle of the pack. Rutgers did not make the Big Ten worse. It was just another mediocre program added to a pile of mediocre programs.

Sash! posted:

Rutgers went to one bowl (in NEW JERSEY EVEN) in the 20th century, then took another 30 years to get a second one.

That's a sign of all time garbage team.

No, it's a sign that bowl expansion wasn't really a thing until relatively recently.

Alaois posted:

It's literally entirely because of Kim Jong Il, without him people would talk about Rutgers as much as they talk about, I dunno, Syracuse or UConn.

I'm not the one who brought it up, and I'm not the one saying things that are easily disproven by looking up win/loss stats or financial stats.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Michigan State's worst team since Reagan was president blanked the dang football team like it was the Monstars vs....well Rutgers I guess. Every day I wake up and check BigTen.org to see if Rutgers has been replaced by a better program such as Central Michigan University or Iowa State. Alas, poor yorick, Rutgers is still in the Big Ten. Despite the fact that their two most prominent football alum are a man who cold cocked his wife in an elevator and a guy whose C3 and C4 vertebrae preferred to turn themselves into dust rather than play for Rutgers anymore.

I legitimately think the Midwest should be depopulated in a modern day trail of tears, but honestly there's no point because y'all will die of meth overdoses soon enough. Your team is going to poo poo with Michigan competent and Narduzzi gone, we'll be back to the John L. Smith days soon enough.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Komet posted:

Maryland's football ceiling is quite a bit higher than Rutgers, which will struggle forever going head to head with Penn State in recruiting in its own state.

Why? As you know, Penn State has strip mined Maryland. Maryland does not have a good football history at all. They have significantly worse facilities and worse fan support than Rutgers. All they have on Rutgers is a lot of Under Armour money.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rutgers actually beat Kansas by 13 in 2015.

The defense in 2016 was surprisingly competent. Well, they had good talent on the DL left over from Schiano. All of the DBs were sophomores because all of Kyle Flood's DBs got arrested and kicked off the team last summer, and all of the LBs were freshmen because Kyle Flood was a horrible recruiter. Field position and bad offense can really gently caress over a defense and that certainly happened this year. Think of the PSU game where the Rutgers defense really held its own for a long time. They were 71 in defense in S&P+ and 124 in offense, and that sounds about right. I actually think Jay Niemann is a really good DC who will start to get some buzz over the next few years.

The reason they were a 2 win team when they could have won 4+ in reality is they had the personnel for a boring Big Ten I formation offense, and Ash decided to burn it it all down to get started faster on the rebuild. Their best two players were two running backs who Ash largely benched because they didn't fit the spread, even though both tore poo poo up when they played and had two years of success. They lost their best WR by far to a fluke injury and had nothing to replace him with due to lovely recruiting by Flood.

I sure as poo poo don't know whether Ash will get it done, but he's recruiting much better, and is not a pathetic joke when it comes to team discipline - e.g., the new NCAA allegations which only scratch the surface of what Flood let happen. What gives me pause is he loving year zeroed it knowing how fragile things were. Kill seems a lot less extreme than Mehringer was scheme wise but definitely has his own problems.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Diaco's failing was he hired a lot of really unqualified people to be assistants, mainly on the basis that they were his friends.

Speculation is they're going for Joe Moorhead, who used to be OC at UConn.

*looks around nervously*

It actually worked out ok for us on the defensive side of the ball, and Texas hired our horrible offensive coordinator.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

Or he was a good OC trapped in an awful situation where it was impossible to succeed, which I'm sure Tom Herman can relate to.

It was of his or Ash's making. Someone wouldn't play the team's best players because they weren't a schematic fit. Certainly he would have done better if they actually had personnel to run his offense. It's besides the point though. Ash, like Diaco, just hired a bunch of guys he was friends with who had no track record of success. At least with Ash it seems to have worked out on defense.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Edsall is a good fit for them. He was all abound scouting players NO ONE had ever heard of and then developing the poo poo out of them. He'll get you the best team in the AAC if you're in the AAC, but the problem is he'll do that too if you're in the Big Ten.

I keep saying there's a much different skillset for getting a program from bad to respectable and a top level coach. He's a little bit different in that way than Schiano/Golden/Wannstedt etc... in that he can't recruit at ALL (he got some guys at Maryland but it was all Locksley), and P5 players don't want to deal with him screaming at them 24/7. Guy is definitely an rear end in a top hat who treats people like garbage, and Maryland revolted very quickly after he was hired.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I thought Warinner was supposed to be good, and it was Beck that was the problem?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think he beat up a kid

Edsall did his first year at MD.

He was fired because they got blown out by Bowling Green (which we know now was because of Dino Babers), followed by three straight blow out losses to WVU, UM, and OSU. He was already widely hated inside and outside the program though.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Democrazy posted:

I would just like to point out that Edsall's tenure at UConn was better than Greg Schiano's tenure at Rutgers, including overall win percentage, conference win percentage, and conference titles.

Edit: And Edsall has the job, per the Hartford Courant.

Conference winning percentage is skewed by Schiano having his rebuilding years in conference while Edsall did it as a FCS school and FBS independent. Schiano won 5-4 head to head, with three of those losses coming during the rebuild. Schiano owned Edsall in their respective primes.

Edsall is indeed a better Xs and Os coach but Schiano would build really talented teams that would get derailed. Schiano overall has a much higher ceiling and is much better overall.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

Thank you

Plus Claeys was a stopgap (only has a two year contact + $500K buyout), and was not the current AD's hire either.

E: Fleck would supposedly be a candidate, because of course

I'm sad that he isn't going to wreck their program like Flood did ours.

Day wasn't that great at BC to be honest.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

minnesota to poach the Rutgers OC

I wouldn't mind this, but actually he said gently caress Minnesota they're dead to him.

Rutgers continues its quest to hire any coach with Iowa ties in bringing in Lester Erb, who coached all of those Iowa RBs who were pretty solid and then exploded.

BTW I will die on this hill, Fleck is a very risky hire. There's a decent chance all of his success has been due to outrecruiting the rest of the MAC. His OC is the worst of all time.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Regnevelc posted:

Probably 2nd worse. Whoever Rutgers has last year was probably the worst.

No, Ciarrocca was absolutely the worst, much worse than Mehringer. Mehringer is hard to evaluate because they were trying to force a scheme they didn't have the personnel for. Ciarrocca is the most unqualified OC in FBS history.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

That leaves an opening for a QB coach. The name most people have mentioned is David Raih, a former backup QB and grad assistant who works for the Packers as an assistant o line coach. There's also some talk here and there about brining former OC/QB coach Ken O'Keefe back, which would make sense but feels like a long shot. I assume Brian will continue as OL coach (that's one area where they can definitely afford someone splitting duties since Kirk is so involved anyway), but if they do want to hire someone else for that, bringing AJ Blazek back from Rutgers would make sense.

I won't miss him. He inherited a lot of talent and the OL was awful at pass blocking last year. He had two four star seniors who were good juniors and played like garbage.

Fleck hired the Arkansas DC Robb Smith. There's also a rumor he's looking at Ed Warriner, who would be an upgrade on Kirk "worst OC in FBS history" Ciarrocca, so perhaps he won't be as terrible as I thought.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 10, 2017

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Cristobal turned down the Pitt job in 2011 and Rutgers in 2012. In the latter case, he accepted it, but his wife wanted to stay in Miami. That was reportedly the issue with Pittsburgh too.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Brown would legit be a great AD. They often are the CEO, setting strategic direction and hitting up boosters for money. They have AADs for the actual ops.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
A lot of the times concessions are at the university level and the AD has no choice in the matter.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

That 'ole Lane Kiffin coaching tree

Some irony in that he's Kiffin's brother in law who Kiffin notably screwed over. It wrecked his career for a couple years before he was able to get back on track at USF and become a hot name again.

an adult beverage posted:

lol, the AD at Oregon should have waited like three weeks and they could have had Chip back.

Yeah, but Willie is legit really good though.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Is Iowa serious about Blazek like that Rivals article says?

The line was awful last year with really good talent actually, even though it's hard to judge with the massive scheme changes. And I assume the Ferentzes will just do everything anyway.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Congratulations on not paying attention to anything ever.

Flood had a ton of talent left over from Schiano and the OL was actually pretty good. In 2016, they returned four starters, including two **** recruits. They had average pass blocking and awesome run blocking in 2015. That turned into horrible pass blocking and average run blocking in 2016. Chris Muller went from playing at an honorable mention all conference level to getting benched because he couldn't pass block. The only positive was that the brand new sophomore LT (weirdly enough, a gigantic project that Flood loved) was very good. Everyone else returned and got way worse.

It's hard to isolate the effect of changing the scheme 180 degrees, but positionally Blazek was by far the worst coach on the staff in 2016. And I say that while thinking that the defensive coordinator, another one of Ash's Iowa flunkies, was a miracle worker given what he had to deal with in the back 7.

And Blazek is so good, why was he at a FCS school until last year, and mediocre there at that?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Apparently he's staying, so MV can stop trolling and concede that Blazek sucks now, given that he does and all.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

momtartin posted:

Like father, like son.

More like a significant percentage of abusers were warped by abuse themselves. Not that it matters, but he's adopted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Hiring a guy who took over a top program is always a little scary.

• Locked thread