Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
The coaching carousel is like Christmas: it seems to start earlier and earlier every year.

Fired/Hired

pre:
School           Old                 Interim                     Hired              Notes
Baylor           Art Briles          Jim Grobe                                      Pretty rapey;
FIU              Ron Turner          Ron Cooper                  Butch Davis        ; ESPN 
LSU              Les Miles           DaCoachO                    DaCoachO           ; YAW YAW YAW
Purdue           Darrell Hazell      Gerad Parker
Fresno State     Tim DeRuyter        Eric Kiesau                 Jeff Tedford       ; Consultant
Georgia State    Trent Miles         Tim Lappano
FAU              Charlie Partridge
Nevada           Brian Polian
San Jose State   Ron Caragher
Texas            Charlie Strong                                  Tom Herman         ; HC Houston
Houston          Tom Herman                                                         To Texas
Oregon           Mark Helfrich
Indiana          Kevin Wilson                                    Tom Allen          Did something bad?; was DC
Cincinnati       Tommy Tuberville                                                   Resigned;
Minnesota        Tracy Claeys                                    PJ Fleck           Fired for being clueless
WMU              PJ Fleck                                                           To Minn
Cal              Sonny Dykes                                                        ??
Links

fired
5/26/16 - Art Briles Fired
9/25/16 - Ron Turner loses another job
9/25/16 - Les Miles can't coach his way out of a hat
10/16/16 - Darrell Hazell... meh?
10/23/16 - Tim DeRuyter is not a good coach
11/13/16 - Bad season for coaches named Miles. Trent out.
11/20/16 - Charlie Strong fired... o wai
11/26/16 - Charlie Strong fired for reals this time
11/27/16 - Charlie Partridge released after 3 3-9 seasons
11/27/16 - Nevada & Brian Polian say, "it's not you, it's me" simultaneously
11/27/16 - Ron Caragher doesn't do much at San Jose
11/29/16 - Oregon a bit slow, but fires Helfrich anyway
12/1/16 - Kevin Wilson must have done something gross
12/4/16 - Tuberville gives up

hired
11/10/16 - Jeff Tedford returns to alma mater
11/14/16 - FIU hires another failed coach
11/26/16 - LSU was really gonna hire DaCoachO all along. Really guys. Seriously
11/26/16 - Strong's seat wasn't even cool before Tom Herman was hired
12/1/16 - DC Tom Allen named coach after 3 hour search

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Baylor hires Jim Grobe to serve as Interim coach: http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/05/30/reports-baylor-hire-former-wake-forest-coach-jim-grobe-interim-coach

The bigger thing to note is that they are keeping on the rest of the staff. That's not cool. The entire lot of them need to go.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I'm a fan of this feature Koop

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Way off on Kliff Kingsbury.

He's in the solid category for at least 2 additional years, even with a terrible defense this year. Earliest his seat could heat up will be after the 2017 season if the defense stays awful.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

C. Everett Koop posted:

He's just 19-19 through three years, that doesn't scream solid to me unless you're at a Kansas or something along those lines. But I think Mahomes is a good QB and Heisman dark horse and TTU can make some noise this year, so 8-9 wins would boost him into Solid for next season.

You underestimate the amount of leeway Kingsbury has for being a Tech legend, and the administration and fan base understanding what a mess that Tuberville left the school in. 6 wins won't even have grumblings of him being on the hot seat. Only a disappointing 2017 could land him there.

So he's got at least a season before you can classify as heating up.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Korranus posted:

UNDECIDED

Tommy Tuberville, Cincinnati

It's got to be frustrating to be a Cincy fan because beyond being a known douchebag, Tommy Tuberville's teams are always a big rear end question mark every year. The last couple of years, the answer to said big rear end question mark is a big rear end stink bomb. At some point Tubs's being inconsistent is going to get folks thinking they can do better. But can they?

Tubs still undecided after 3 years? Or is it literally that you don't know what to make of him?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tuberville peacing out to Baylor would be a hilarious and very much encouraged outcome. Watch out if he starts taking Cincinnati recruits to steakhouses during recruiting season.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

pillsburysoldier posted:

Who will be the first coach fired of the 2016 season

I mean, the carousel started with Briles, so... Art Briles?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Benne posted:

So Mark Stoops is a dead man walking right

I'm gotta think so. His Kentucky team is going backwards at this stage.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Les Miles hasn't been fired yet?

They're 110th offensively overall. That's just silly

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Well yeah, its a "pretty big" job. And pretty good program. But LSU fans are also pretty delusional if they think they could get Tom Herman. He could have gone basically anywhere available last offseason.

Errr, LSU, A&M, and UT are basically the 3 programs that can land Herman that are anywhere near having an open job right now.

Well, USC probably could get a look if they went after him.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

C. Everett Koop posted:

Short of a collapse A&M won't be up. Jury's still out on Texas, and Auburn might be a player.

A&M is a strange case. They started both 2015 and 2014 5-0 and lost 5 of their last 8.

I'm not counting Sumlin's job as safe yet and finishing 8-5 at this point probably gets him fired.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Nobody gets fired after the bowl game

OK, if we want to be pedantic about it, let's expand: 7-5 gets him fired. 8-4 may get him fired after a 5-0 start. Either scenario can lead to an 8-5 finish.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Neil Armbong posted:

I'm still not sold on Herman leaving UH, especially if the big 12 decides to expand and include Houston this year.

He's putting together some good teams and if they get into p5, why would you leave for a school with higher expectations in a much harder conference/division.

Houston is not getting a Big XII invite this year.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I think the thought is that Strong was directly involved with the defense at Louisville, but at UT he's taken more of a "manager" role and Bedford's shown to not be so great.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

Which may have been his first mistake, since he was hired to be a nuts-and-bolts, x's-and-o's, hands-on kind of coach after we got tired of a CEO who mostly concerned himself with recruiting players and hiring assistants to handle the day-to-day operations.

Except that the UT job requires you be a CEO PR guy just because of the nature of the program.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Silly Burrito posted:

Les just needs to embrace Gameday. It is his destiny.

Les Miles to replace Corso?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Silly Burrito posted:

That makes a hell of a lot of sense, considering Corso is 81. We all know Les loves to wear fun hats.

Les Miles to make his pick based on the quality of the home team grass.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Brent Venables seems like he should get a head coaching job at some point but Clemson already pays him like one so he can be picky

I've heard rumors that he's got some skeletons that keep teams from paying him enough to get him to leave Clemson.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I'll work on updating the OP this week. I've been slacking.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Kliff's still safe no matter what. TTU can't afford the buyout.

I still think he stays as long as he would like, but that defense has got to get fixed. I don't know how long Gibbs is kept around.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

So do we all still think Sonny Dykes to Baylor is going to happen?

No, I think Dykes and Cal like each other again.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Last year he definitely interviewed at Mizzou and I think maybe UVA. He also reportedly tried to get in the running at South Carolina.

Last year things were pretty bad and he was looking to make a move. But I had heard in the offseason that the two sides had gotten their poo poo together and were much happier this year.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I mean, the only coaches in the nation who are pretty much guaranteed to get you titles would be Saban and Meyer.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Saban is 65 and doesn't seem like he enjoys anything, so I doubt he'll retire anytime soon. All great coaches eventually have to get old and mediocre right? I know Mack Brown was around 60. It sounds ludicrous since Ohio State went 12-1 in 2010 (gently caress you Emmerit come over to my house and delete that sugar bowl from my DVR), but I feel like Jim Tressel was trending down around 60 since he was really lording over an absolute poo poo Big Ten. Spurrier was pretty good into his late sixties but fell off at the end. Fulmer lost it relatively early, I didn't realize he's only 66 now and he lost it in his 50s.

Please can it be soon? I don't even hate Alabama anymore I'm just bored with them.

Counterpoint: Bill Snyder

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Posted this in the aftermath thread. This loss definitely landed Kliff firmly in the hot seat, but I still think it more likely than not that he is at Tech next season.

Why? $$.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
https://twitter.com/SportsPlusShow/status/800165575951400960?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

At least let him get back to Austin guys... I mean, that way you could leave him on the tarmac.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Apparently the guy "breaking" the news is a goober who is making it up.

Strong is dead man walking, but it's not official yet.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So let's see Big XII openings:

Texas Tech

75% chance Kliff is at Tech next year. His buyout is massive.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's what I wondered, but wasn't 100% sure.

Yup. Tech can't afford the buyout and a new coaching staff, otherwise that loss would have gotten him fired.

Get blown out by Baylor next week and that might change.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I just looked and lmao 17m? loving really?

Down to 9.4m now.

17m was the start of his contract extension, 6 years, 22m, 17m guaranteed. Next year it'll be down to 6m or 3m (depending on how that all works), and that's more affordable.

Our donors are tapped right now after starting construction on the IPF/ITF, so that makes it even harder to get the money to fire him.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Scarf posted:

Doing some reading around, it looks like rumors are that Baylor is looking at both Herman and Chad Morris?

As big a fan as I am of Chad Morris, does he really have the stock for a job that big yet? I could see him going to Houston after Herman goes to UT/LSU... But I dunno about Baylor.

Baylor has issues so they're going to have to go after a guy that's so hungry for a P5 HC job that they'll risk their career going down the drain if they can't withstand 2 lost recruiting classes and potential sanctions down the road.

Chad Morris is early enough in his tenure at SMU that he's not really on many people's radars (other than being due to his reputation). SMU's looking like they're going to turn around, but he needs 1 more year of equal improvement to be a hot commodity.

I could see them trying for Morris or even going for Willie Fritz and trying to sell 3-8 at Tulane in year 1.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^ they can go after anyone they like, depends on who tells them "no"

Personally, I think they wind up with Phillip Montgomery and hope that no one notices that he was on the Baylor staff during the worst of their rape culture.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ah, that's more understandable. Kind of where we were last year. Some of our dumber fans hope someone takes Holgo of our hands, but I am not sure where he'd land.

Tech prolly would go after him. Though if Tech does wind up firing Kliff, I think the hire is a DC or CEO-type G5. This year they'd hop in the PJ Fleck lottery or take a look at Craig Brohl. Venables would get a look (not sure if he hasn't been hired away because of his salary or because Skeletons). And the fanbase has a hard on for Dave Aranda, which is understandable.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

You might be making 2 different points here but for the record, PJ Fleck is a whole lot of things but in no way is he a "CEO-type" coach.

Yeah, I'll admit, I don't know much about PJ Fleck aside from him doing a good job turning around WMU. I couldn't find confirmation that he was the OC/play-caller so I've just been throwing him out there as a name.

I do find it fascinating that very few head coaches are DC-style (call their own defense, lets his OC completely handle the offense), while there are a whole lot of OC-style coaches. DC's tend to convert to CEO-style once they get a HC spot.

e:

MourningView posted:

I dunno I'm sure he has a preference for what type of offense and defense he wants but he doesn't seem like a guy who meddles a lot with the play calling or the minutia of game planning. He was a career WR coach before WMU and his big strengths are recruiting and selling the program

Ah, good, I was right.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
haha, they're totally will-they/won't-they'ing him:

https://twitter.com/StacyS_KVUE/status/800496974080438274

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

That Works posted:

I guess if you're going to eat poo poo all day Saturday, might as well do it the next day too. :v:

I think its being mishandled. Like, it's admirable to say "we won't decide until we see the rest of the season" which is basically where most ADs start with each year. However, in this case you loving know there's no way Strong gets retained. He knows it, his players know it, the fans know it, the AD knows it. So what's the point. If he had a slightly better record before dropping a random loss to KU it would make sense but we've seen that this team still can't compete after 3 seasons. He's still starting young players and they still are making lots of mistakes.

I can't think of any upside or reason at all to not let Strong go now and start looking into replacements. It's already going to be loving up recruitment, a lot of high school seasons are over and students are starting to make arrangements for / take on campus visits.

I mean, make it official, ask Strong coach out the rest of the season, then move forward.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Interesting that Kyle Allen is looking to transfer. Wouldn't be surprised if Tech puts out feelers to him too.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Sounds like Texas Tech is going to be adding SHSU OC Phil Longo to their staff. No idea if it means someone leaving or if they're anticipating using the 10th spot for him.

In that regards, the 10th assistant spot is expected to pass fairly easily. That means there's going to be lots of movement for assistants this year.

Sab0921 posted:

Is Kliff getting fired?

No. $9.4 million buyout + Hocutt doesn't have time to coaching search what with the whole CFB Playoff committee thing.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that, that was weird. And Oregon State lost their coach to Nebraska. That seems to be a common theme, when these moves happen they're weirdly lateral or seemingly a step down. The Wisconsin coaches, Tuberville to Cincy, Fran leaving Bama for A&M.

I guess I forgot Kiffin to USC and Sark to USC too.

Tubs to Cincy was him conning another school into taking him, knowing that he had 0 chance of winning in a do-or-die 2013 season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Florida hiring Kiffin or Strong fresh off him bombing at Texas would be an Extremely SEC Move.

I don't really get people's infatuation with Morris either. I get he was a good OC and SMU isn't a great job but so far he's been significantly worse than June Jones was there. Baylor is kind of a beggers can't be choosers thing I guess but otherwise it makes no sense. maybe wait until he actually wins something

Rumor is that he turned Baylor down. He wanted $4.9 million, Baylor didn't offer as much.

Apparently the biggest reason why Kingsbury is coaching at Tech instead of Morris is that he asked for more money beyond what we would pay him... for his assistants.

• Locked thread