Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Alright guys, I've gotten off my rear end to fix the OP. You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Korranus posted:

I haven't heard Kiffin getting looked at, but Les very much is.

The other guys getting a serious look are Lincoln Riley (naturally), Neal Brown at Troy, and Blake Anderson at Arkansas State. All three are in the Mike Leach tree so it's not hard to figure out who Texas Tech will call when Kliff becomes cheap enough to can.

Riley is a Leach tree, but Neal Brown is a Tony Franklin tree and Blake Anderson is a Larry Fedora guy with no connection to the traditional Air Raid trees.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

an adult beverage posted:

What's the best non-power conference head coaching job anyways? I would say Houston? Maybe Boise State, Cincinnati, UCF/USF would be in the mix.

1. BYU (if you're mormon)
2. Houston
3. Boise State
4. UCF/USF
5. Cincinatti
6. SDSU? NIU? App State? Arkansas State? North Dakota? EWU? SHSU?

Service academies are their own thing. SDSU would be better if the Chargers were to build a new stadium right next door to Qualcomm they could use. I'm trying to think of other programs that have sustained success over multiple coaches and tend to produce coaches that get hired up after 2-3 years. There aren't really any schools where success is guaranteed, you still have to be a good coach for each stop.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

swickles posted:

According to this article, he did not get his buyout.

Also, Mike Leach was fired for cause, but then after it came out that the James family was full of poo poo he sued and won. Schools usually try to negotiate a little reasoning that it might be cheaper and easier to give some money for them to just go away rather than fight in court. Even USC (if I recall correctly) had a settlement with Sark rather than going to court over the buyout.

edit: ^^That number is totally affordable and worth it for just having him go away forever. Might end up spending more in court to not pay him that.

Mike Leach lost all those suits. They didn't pay him his buyout and they didn't pay him the bonus that was owed to him had they fired him 2 days later.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am still waiting to see who Baylor finds. I don't think they realize how awful that job is.

It's going to be either someone so early in their current stop that the jury is still out (Willie Fritz, for example), or someone that's completely desperate to move on from their current position.

Chad Morris already turned them down, and he's of that too early category. I'd be curious if they consider a Briles tree guy (Babers or Montgomery), or if they're aware that that would be a terrible idea.

There are a bunch of good coaches out there that might jump on the idea, but none of them are as high profile as Baylor wants. Guys like Neal Brown, Willie Fritz (or his SHSU replacement KC Keeler), Sonny Cumbie, Lincoln Riley. Hell, could even give Sterlin Gilbert a shot as he's Briles tree, but far enough from Briles that they'd get away with it.

Personally, I'm rooting for them to be conned by Tuberville. I'm rooting for that so hard, it's not even funny.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sab0921 posted:

Tech firing Kilff and UH hiring him is also an acceptable situation.

Not happening this year.

Neal Brown is your guy, Houston.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone want Kliff as their head coach now? When he gets fired he's gonna go back to being an OC which is probably the highest he should go.

I don't want to be a Kliff apologist or anything, but Kliff 2016 is dealing with the problems left him by Kliff 2014. Those first two years plus the final two years of Tuberville left us in really bad shape. As bitchy as the fanbase gets, I think the administration understands that's what they signed up for when they hired him 3-5 years too early. He's just gotta make a bowl next season and he'll be good to go.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Ahem

Snyder, Stoops, and Alvarez are all way better than anyone in the Mumme tree and there's a pretty good argument Ferentz is too. Also Bert, Bo Pelini, Dan McCarney, Jim Leavitt....

Stoops's greatest successes have come with Mumme-tree OC's. Snyder tree needs a Mumme.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Don't even think about it Baylor, please God no

:getin:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mike_V posted:

I think you'll find Lovie Smith is bringing the Illini back to immediate prominence

back?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Real Name Grover posted:

Yeah he's never worked in Texas, which will no doubt upset some Baylor fans

never worked in Texas with 0 Texas recruiting ties and 6 days to put together a recruiting class before we go back into a dead period until mid Jan.

He's a much better coach than the deserve, but definitely going to have a learning curve as far as recruiting.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spintzel posted:

I know Rhule has done nothing but good things so far but

LMAO Baylor hired a coach from Bill Cosby U

Bill Cosby U...

But also Matt Rhule played at Penn State under Jerry Sandusky.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

this is still the weirdest drat thing

A lot of this stuff is overplayed a bit. The rumors are usually agents leaking details or pimping their guy.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacebump posted:

Oregon must have low balled Rhule. I can't think of any other reason to go to Baylor over Oregon.

Baylor was probably offering ~$4 million after losing out on Morris because he wanted ~$5.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

I feel like if Oregon takes Taggart, Fleck is better off going to USF than Cincy. Would you rather inherit Tuberville's mess in a P5 conference or remain the hot G5 coach by picking up where Taggart left off?

Err, you seem to be under the false impression that Cincinnati is in a P5 conference... USF and Cincinnati are both AAC.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Don't leach, yo.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

Is that still a rule? I fixed it, but I'd like to know for future reference.

It was a busted image. Instead of saying, "hey, fix your poo poo," I went back to the classic.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Wow, they are paying out the nose for him. I mean, it's a great hire, but that's a huge raise to get him to come to Purdue.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Kim Jong Il posted:

Kill is a lovely hire and I am really upset right now.

Why? It sounds like the enemies of Rutgers athletics are trembling in fear right now.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

C. Everett Koop posted:

Assuming none of these guys run off to the NFL, top guys on the hot seat going into next year would be? Top 5 off the head with no research:

1: Brian Kelly
2: bert
3: Kevin Sumlin
4: Hugh Freeze
5: Kliff Kingsbury

Kliff's on the hot seat, but his expectation is not super high. A bowl and not losing by 60+ to Iowa State would do it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

swickles posted:

SMU has shown us that a death penalty for even one year wrecks a program beyond repair for decades. I know this isn't a death penalty, but if everyone does indeed transfer, it would be a de facto death penalty.

We'll see how true that is with the fallout from Baylor. They lost most of their 2016 recruiting class and are in major catch-up mode for their 2017 class (basically offering every single 3*+ player in the state of Texas without regard for actual scouting of those players). If they're not on their way to the gutter of the Big XII, then there is no de facto death penalty.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Really strange timing. Have to think they've got something in the works for Chip Kelly or at least think they do.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Dykes has not been even close to good enough to justify what a pain in the rear end he's been and yeah Kelly seems like the obvious target.

Taggart should do really well there but I do kinda feel bad for Oregon fans. That'll be really awkward and Kelly probably would have gone back if the Niners had fired him earlier

Not at all good enough, but to fire him after the new year is really strange unless they already have an upgrade in mind.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Also, Sonny, I know an open OC job! #bringtheairraidhome

Nah, Sonny's gonna come OC at Tech. You can have Jake Spavital.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Pretty sure he just got in a pissing match. There's no mention of with cause or anything, they just decided to take on his contract (70% of 5.88 million) and make the move now. Dunno who they're gonna target. Jake Spavital is their interim, but I guess that just means that he's going to be recruiting for the last week or two of his tenure with them?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

CrumFUNist! posted:

High academic standards make recruiting difficult and Cal's athletic department is $20 million in the hole.

$20 million year over year deficit. They're really somewhere over $400 million in the hole.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Maine Root is the best anyway.

Except for IBC on tap. IBC on tap is amazing.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Jabar Juluke (formerly LSU RB coach) is TTU's new RB coach. He held that position for 2 weeks last year before LSU hired him away.

DL coach Kevin Patrick - who is best known for getting in a twitter "beef" with former teammate Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - leaves TTU for NC State which is super awkward after 2 guys had transferred from UNT to TTU just to follow him.

It's not surprising to see any Tech defensive coaches head for greener pastures as they're in a do-or-die season after missing a bowl game last year.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

$1.2 million

I mean, that's kinda silly money for a guy who's only experience as an OC has been in the NFL and includes (exclusively) the 32nd, 29th, 22nd, and 27th ranked offenses by yards and 29th, 31st, 20th, and 32nd ranked offenses by points.

e: to be fair to him, only the Chiefs actually improved with him gone.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
2017 called. It has a carousel thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823780

• Locked thread