Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Les Miles will be fired this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

swickles posted:

Les still has Cam Cameron to fire/blame for his woes.

Can't blame the guy you lobbied to keep for your failures. And it's not like the offense was good before Cam.

go3 posted:

wont firing Les cost them a fortune

It'll be around 4 million by the end of the season, so no, not that much.

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah, but they have a fortune to spend (or could beg it from boosters) if they should decide to do that.

I don't think it happens now if it didn't happen last year for the record.

If the team keeps playing like that, particularly on offense, he's absolutely gone. And it will, because that's what Les Miles teams look like.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

pillsburysoldier posted:

FWIW our boosters are starting to push Jimbo to fire our DC.

Need to fire our WR coach and OL coach and LB coach too. Probably out RB coach too.

What I'm getting from this is that Jimbo is coming back to Baton Rouge.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

Not before Tom Herman has a shot there.

I would greatly prefer Herman, but there is a cadre of boosters that apparently very much want Jimbo because he has history here and he is proven.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

I don't think LSU's had that many rape cases to deal with lately :v:

Well, actually...

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

If I were Jimbo I would definitely be desperate to leave a great job that has had two coaches in the last like 50 years for one that is in a more difficult conference, isn't a significant upgrade in anyway, and where the standard for keeping your job is winning multiple national titles.

I don't actually think he would leave FSU, but there was a lot of smoke around it last year. But then I also laughed when Michigan fans said they were going to steal Jim Harbaugh from the NFL, and here we are. Sometimes people make weird choices for non-obvious reasons.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Les was great for the program but it was time to move on. Hopefully they can make hire that's not a disaster, but I don't have high hopes. With the money they are willing to spend it should certainly be possible, but the AD is a god damned retard.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Rape is not an NCAA infraction.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Roger Craig posted:

So I guess Dave Aranda is staying since they just gave him a 4 million dollar contract?

For the year. Beyond that, I doubt it.

Roasted Donut posted:

I'll take Les Miles right now, just no cam cameron

Sorry, package deal.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

Gotta take the moral high road and go after Art Briles instead

Les wasn't super great about rape either, tbh. Or football players getting into bar fights.

Hopefully it's not Briles though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

oh well ok then

Like I said, I don't want Briles either. I just think LSU fans and media give Miles a bit of a pass because he's really likable and seems like a genuinely good guy, but things like letting the players vote on keeping Jeremy Hill on the team after he jumped a guy in a bar parking lot was kind of gross, especially given that Hill already had a sexual battery charge coming into LSU.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

A&M is a strange case. They started both 2015 and 2014 5-0 and lost 5 of their last 8.

I'm not counting Sumlin's job as safe yet and finishing 8-5 at this point probably gets him fired.

Tennessee, Bama and Ole Miss are the only games left on their schedule that should be competitive. Their defense is improved and it seems like they've fixed some of their offensive issues from last year. I think he will be fine.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Scionix posted:

so LSU fans; you fired the guy for recruiting incredible players and fielding a shiiiiiiiiiiitttttttt offense and being a general on-field buffoon, this I understand.

Is it so easy to recruit Louisiana you are sure the next guy is just going to keep cleaning up? I'm not trying to be a dick and hell you might be better with top 20 classes and a functioning offense vs top 5 classes with just a defense, but I wonder

Maybe? Probably? I mean, it's going to depend on the hire obviously, but pretty much every team in the SEC recruits well now, and even under Dinardo LSU did a good job of recruiting. There are definitely a lot of natural recruiting advantages at LSU so top 10-15 classes should be doable at least.

Whatever happens it will at least be different, which will be nice.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fast cars loose anus posted:

It was an absolute complete bullshit call

Texas can claim eternal scoreboard all they want but we know they've been ducking us like bitches; we'd have murdered those terminal stage Mack Brown teams without even trying.

The team that last beat you was a terminal stage Mack Brown team.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Korranus posted:

Les Miles would be more than welcome to come Spurrier it up in Houston.

Man, going from Herman to the Cam Cameron special would be quite a reversal.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

Keep losing Herminator. Maybe LSU won't want you.

He's just making himself a little more affordable for us.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

I dunno, Coach O is making his case. The things that got Les fired are the things that Orgeron seems to be fixing. The offense isn't one dimensional any more, and the team makes very obvious adjustments during the game. Between Houston's swoon and Coach O's winning, the LSU AD ought not to make pursuing Herman it's sole focus. I mean, if they think he's their guy, buy all means put together a package and woo him, but they might have a replacement in house.

He's improved the offense because it would be almost impossible for it to have gotten worse. They are running a new scheme that teams have very little tape on and have had limited time to prepare for, so they are doing very well, particularly given the low level of competition they've faced so far.

I'm not really prepared to hand the keys to the kingdom to a guy based on three games (or even a half a season) when his last head coaching stint was such a disaster. I'd like a coach that has proven that they can handle the requirements of being a head coach at some level, meaning all of the requirements. Recruiting, assembling a staff, keeping players motivated for a whole year, etc...

It's pretty naive to think that the right guy was secretly there all along, right under our noses. When has a mid season interim/turned full head coach actually not ended in mediocrity?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

John Gruden doesn't want to coach your stupid lovely football team and John Harbaugh isn't leaving the NFL team he won a Super Bowl with to coach your garbage fire program, you aren't hiring a proven first tier coach because those guys are already at top programs getting paid a lot of money and they aren't going to leave just because Texas came calling.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I'd be pretty shocked if the boosters who got Miles fired are going to be satisfied replacing him the Ed Orgeron, regardless of how the rest of the seasons goes.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Raku posted:

It would be insanely stupid of LSU to openly court another coach during Orgeron's last few games if they don't want the whole class to evaporate and the team to quit

I mean, they weren't recruited on the assumption that Orgeron was going to be their coach, so I'm not sure why it would matter if it becomes obvious that he's not. And the season is effectively over anyway, all that's left to play for is a middling bowl game.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Raku posted:

guess who is in charge of recruiting them right now

So your argument is that they stuck around when the long tenured and historically beloved and successful head coach was fired mid season, but won't tolerate Ed Orgeron being gone?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Les wasn't always so conservative at LSU either, but I think the Jarret Lee/Jordan Jefferson years broke him.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

If I were a LSU fan I would be mad about Jaret Lee getting benched for no reason every day.

It's the first thing I think about when I wake up most days.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

LSU is going to go all in on Jimbo, miss out on Herman and Fleck and whoever else is promising, then not get Jimbo and end up with, like, Brady Hoke or something, and pretend that's who they wanted all along.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't think anyone who know the climate at Texas thought he was a good fit. I am fairly certain if you go look through the thread, a lot of us -- including me -- said it was going to be a big flop because he does not have the personality for that job.

How does his personality make it so that he can't put together a defense that doesn't give up 50 points to everyone they play? People thought he'd be a bad fit because he wouldn't schmooze the boosters and take the public facing parts of the job seriously enough, not because his teams would be hopeless garbage.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

whiteyfats posted:

That's not terrible, and they usually go to a bowl game. Arkansas is a small state without a lot of people, so they probably know not to expects eleven or twelve wins every year.

They were legitimately good during the Petrino years and I imagine most fans would like to see a return to that and not, say, randomly losing to Toledo and alternating solid performances with inexplicably terrible ones.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Leaf Lock posted:

Wasn't LSU just threatening to shut down the football program because they were poor? How did we make it here so quickly?

The new governor said that mostly to scare people about the seriousness of the budget shortfall Jindal
left him with because a sizable portion of the state doesn't care about LSU the educational institution but cares deeply about LSU the football program and doesn't seem to realize that you can't have the second without the first.

It was never a serious threat though and this costs the school nothing because the boosters are footing the bill.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Scionix posted:

that being said herman going to LSU doesn't make a whole lot of sense so until I see something official I'm going to hold out hope

It makes perfect sense when you consider that LSU has an open head coach position and Texas does not. Also because Texas sucks.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Scionix posted:

im being burned by these hot takes!!! somebody help!!!

Those aren't hot takes, they are literally the truth. Texas lost to Kansas and still employs the coach that was employed when they lost to Texas.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

the fact that orgeron isn't going to be in charge of LSU is a loving tragedy

I mean, it's still possible. Herman could fall through and they'd basically be left with Orgeron as the only choice that at least some of the fan base might accept.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Wasn't ESPN also the network that claimed Charlie Strong was fired several days ago?

I'm not sure the Herman to LSU deal is really done yet.

It's not a done deal, but LSU is prepared to make a hire on Saturday while Texas will still be waiting to play and decide if they want to fire their coach. That's a pretty serious advantage and obviously things have progressed pretty far if we're seeing these reports.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Bill: I've had 8 grilled cheese sandwhiches. 6 bad ones were from a restaurant that is historically not good. 2 good ones were from restaurants that historically are. Grilled cheese sandwhiches must be poo poo.
What is wrong with Bill's logic?

Is it that Bill things grilled cheese sandwiches are analogous to football programs?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Bill doesn't consider that good restaurants better prepare Chefs for success. Much like USC and LSU historically better prepare their coaches for success than Ole Miss.

Orgeron was significantly worse an Ole Miss than other coaches have been there. And being an interim is not the same as being a long term head coach. Different responsibilities and priorities.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Spintzel posted:

Aleva just made a statement saying no one has any lead in the LSU job

Which is pretty much exactly what you'd expect him to say while the team is still playing and when no one has been hired yet.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

pillsburysoldier posted:

Alleva is dumb

This is true, but that non-statement is not evidence of such.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Spintzel posted:

True. But Alleva has hosed everyone over before by letting the media run with an idea before he decides to say anything. Just like with the Les firing last year. Just like with the Duke scandal

I really hope that he's saying that and Herman really is a done deal. But he's also a terrible AD

He's pretty lovely, yea. If he lands Herman no one will care, but if he doesn't he's probably out on his rear end.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Scionix posted:

guys ive talked to tom herman in person and he pinky sweared he was going to Texas so you are all big stupid heads

Did he kiss you on the mouth?

Did you like it?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Spacebump posted:

In a fictional world with only two choices: Would you rather have Coach O or Les Miles as LSU's hc for the next two seasons?

I'd rather have Orgeron because at least he's willing to try new things on offense. But we don't live in a fictional world, so I'd prefer we look at head coaches that haven't been abject failures during their last stints as a head coach.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

LSU is throwing themselves at him while Texas is dithering over whether they'd like to hire him or keep their coach that lost to Kansas. That probably matters to a super competitive type of person. Also, wanting to get a decision made quickly to keep recruiting from falling apart wherever he ends up.

I mean, who really knows, but right now Texas still has a coach and LSU has a job opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

If Texas loses to TCU then Charlie is obviously gone immediately but if they win it may not be so cut and dry.

• Locked thread