Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

gay picnic defence posted:

can you summarize that?

It's worth a read but in summary, LNP qld calls on qld government to release a bunch of files to the public relating to a 12 month police investigation and "explain" why there was no prosecution.

And gets absolutely hosed by a bunch of reporters on why that's a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Comstar posted:

The Liberals are telling their backers that the Super changes will totally not happen after the election.

Labour: Announce policy
Liberal: Announce watered down policy

Get elected

implement gently caress all

standard liberal playbook

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

And now for the comments section...

Never read the comments

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Redcordial posted:

CORY BERNADI WANTS TO MOLEST YOUR DOGS! ... Wait that's not right, I'm doing this wrong.

No, it seems oddly appropriate

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

adamantium|wang posted:

This week, Senator Leyonhjelm blamed a Liberal Party "spy" in the Liberal Democrat federal executive for leaking damaging documents to the media.

And why does that diminish the allegations of bribery?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That's dated 2014 m8

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Don't read the comments

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

gay picnic defence posted:

Can much be done about that other than putting in a big rockwall? They had to do that down here at Somers and there isn't any beach at high tide, the water comes right up to the rocks. I'll be funny when the insurance companies stop insuring properties like this because of climate change.

Brings new meaning to border protection

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Where is this from, do you have a link? google doesnt help

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...ty-clean-energy

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ket posted:

Well it's fitting they'd all pick the same character

And none of them women

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Starshark posted:

Have you told them you don't wish to create joinder with them? Have you asked them, "Am I being detained?"

:golfclap:

Redundant question though ;)

What's happening to the guy though, is he in a cell?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

No reason that he can't do a shitload of time AND pay a shitload of money.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dude McAwesome posted:

edit: gently caress, i got a ponytar, i liked my anzac day avatar. someone in this thread gets really pissy about opinions on an internet forum

Share your opinion friendo, I don't do the whole hostile avatar gifting thing.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Isn't voting due to start in a month?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hearts of Iron 4, apparently reddit is up in arms because a fascist australia would never call itself the empire of the platypus

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Frogmanv2 posted:

of loving course they are.

got a link?

Abbott's a walking talking attack line, this is them giving themselves future ammo

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

I think the long election cycle has thrown some of us off, neither party has launched the cannons yet and this is some weird pre-election sandpit fight that made its way in. I think in the last 2 weeks you'll see some mobilization and it wont seem like any party is trying to lose anymore.

I think you're crediting them with more tact and skill than they have. The coalition was prepared ahead of time and wanted the long game. This was why they had advertising up in May - they simply have nothing positive to contribute, so they've got a message, and they're going to ape tony abbott and hammer that message as much as they can.

Unfortunately for them, people are wary of them, and they aren't completely buying what the coalition are selling.

Or labour for that matter.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Starshark posted:

Yes, chaos like the lowest rate of passing legislation in Australian history... No, wait...

You can strip out everything else he said past the opening statement.

Just like ewe2 said, this election is about damaging the credibility of anyone not lib/lab

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ScreamingLlama posted:

I found a leaflet issued by the MUA and AIMEU ragging on Barnaby. They drew him as a donkey and added the slogan "Give Him The Arse - Put Barnaby Last".

Nice to see some unions still care.

Amusingly this is part of the drama at my union, which is affiliated with the ALP, but the new National Secretary wants us to affiliate with "someone else"

For the sakes of clarity, that's the rumour anyway, that she wants us to affiliate with someone else but there's definitely been talk, by her, that I personally have heard that she's no longer happy to affiliate with the ALP.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Reminder - Don't read the comments

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That was implied, yes.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LibertyCat posted:

yeah, backing out of the farce of a refugee convention, which I have repeatedly advocated for. These people aren't swimming across the border from a failed state, they have gone though multiple safe countries on their way to the one local idiot nation that has stuck with an obsolete treaty.

Would you kindly gently caress off back to the country your family emigrated here from

1940s germany, assumedly

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

37 is the minimum primary vote Labor requires for majority government if I recall.

Anyone heard from Negligent recently?

Freudian Slip posted:

Well if you lose you will be in the same position as most Auspol goons!

Edit: Holy poo poo. Coalition at $1.13 :psyduck:

Weren't labour at 5:1 at one point?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Snod. posted:

But what about the carp?

Increased share via the entry

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

gently caress me, they actually did it

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Fascinating developments in brexit territory last night

Ler posted:

There is some suggestion, and speculation that Scotland and NIRE could possibly veto the EU exit.
https://twitter.com/jimfitzbiz/status/746722921125654528

Scotland & NI have the power of Veto on Brexit ALSO! the EU said that there's no way for Scotland to remain in the EU while it's a part of the UK.

quote:

European Commission says after Brexit vote: Scotland part of UK

The European Commission said on Saturday Scotland was part of the United Kingdom and declined to "speculate further" after First Minister Nicola Sturgeon called for talks with the European Union to keep Scotland in the bloc.

"Scotland is part of the UK," a Commission spokeswoman told Reuters. "Constitutional arrangements apply. We will not speculate further."

Sturgeon said Scotland would prepare for a possible fresh independence vote after Britain voted to leave the 28-nation EU on Friday. Scots voted heavily in favor of staying in.

(Reporting by Gabriela Baczynska; Editing by Janet Lawrence)

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...n-idUSKCN0ZB0LQ

So either Scotland or NI uses its power of Veto and pisses off most of England, or Scotland votes to Secede.

Two fucken birds one stone.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That's magic

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/747045017127006208

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/747044879310553088

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

Lmao brexit gives them a dead Turdball bounce.

Dead pig bounce

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Kat Delacour posted:

I endorse this message

Hey, here's my Tactical Voting plan for Vic senate - someone tell me if there are any obvi flaws because this is HARD. Maybe wait for the stylesheets god to smile upon us. I pushed Greens #1 and #2 a little higher than tactical suggested because I don't want to risk some hippy getting in ahead of good Greens.

code:
1 to 10	GREENS #3 - end
1st candidate 11	SCIENCE PARTY / CYCLISTS PARTY
1st candidate 12	MARRIAGE EQUALITY
13 and 14	GREENS #1 - 2
1st candidate 15	THE ARTS PARTY
1st candidate 16	ANIMAL JUSTICE PARTY
1st candidate 17	AUSTRALIAN PROGRESSIVES
1st candidate 18	SECULAR PARTY OF AUSTRALIA
1st candidate 19	VOLUNTARY EUTHANASIA PARTY
1st candidate 20	PIRATE PARTY
Ricky 21	AUSTRALIAN MOTORING ENTHUSIAST PARTY ** JUST RICKY
22 to end	ALP

Not sure how that reads, because I genuinely don't understand what this is saying, but I've got a union colleague in the VEP - if you're voting them low, maybe bump them up a bit. Single issue, but it's a reasonable issue and the only other party pushing for it is the greens to my knowledge.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Recoome posted:

it's not to late to back out

There's a reason I've not applied for citizenship yet.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I can't even vote, what did I do to get this :confused:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'll imagine someone is very angry about #indyref2

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Missus voted greens

Won't matter too much in a safe liberal seat, but it's nice all the same

good luck all the people who are up for election today :toot:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

BlindSite posted:

Are you aware that it's not?

Source?

Childcare's expensive as gently caress

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

BlindSite posted:

I'm living proof that, that statement is bullshit.

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/living-in-victoria/education-and-childcare/childcare posted:

Childcare type Typical price range
Centre-based childcare A$80 to A$120 dollars per day
Family day care A$6 to A$10 per hour
Nannies A$20 to A$30 per hour
Au pairs (living in your home) A$200 to A$250 per week

Google search for average australian wage posted:

Often the people on those incomes see multi-millionaires as the ones that are rich.” The ABS says the average individual wage in Australia in November 2013 was $57,980 before tax. The average full-time wage is $74,724 before tax.May 8, 2014

Average $100 per day, 5 days per week $500 * 52 = $26k per year. One third to one half of income straight up on childcare without rebate.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

BlindSite posted:

Because the evidence isn't there to support that funding childcare is how you do it. It's generational through targetting disconnected youth and better education. The better educated your society, particularly women the lower the burden on welfare.

Did you see where I posted the cost of average childcare is one third to one half of the average income?

Education won't fix the cost of childcare, it's extremely expensive.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

BlindSite posted:

If you focus on education and housing affordability the problem takes care of itself. It's part of a bullshit group of policies designed to treat symptoms instead of the cause.

I'm honestly not sure where you're approaching this from.

You want childcare rebates removed because you feel that people who can't afford children shouldn't have them, ok, that's your opinion, but we're in a situation where the cost of child care is extremely prohibitive to the point of being unaffordable without government assistance.

People have a natural desire to procreate, it's literally written into our code as humans - not everyone feels it, true, and more power to them, but the majority of people do. So saying "if you can't afford it, don't have it" isn't going to fix any problem, because even educated people listen to that voice inside them saying "it's time". People are not completely rational actors, and circumstances change - someone who can afford three children and who gets the sack and can 't find a job after that can't exactly hit their kid over the head with a hammer and go "sorry kid, you're breaking the budget"

Education won't fix the cost of childcare, and neither will housing affordability. The fact that childcare will continue to be prohibitively expensive and a good bandaid fix to that is the rebate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Solemn Sloth posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...702-gpwxne.html

I hope they take the two boomers responsible to the vet for the green needle.

There should hoepfully be security footage because that's suss as gently caress.

lot of dirty tricks being pulled this election, I hope something official is done about it

• Locked thread