Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, and imagine if it decided to try goring you with those antlers - I dare say it'll do more damage than a punch! That hunter is either very brave, or very stupid
Such a good .gif though hahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

at the date posted:

It's only a strange and cretinous minority of Witcher 3 players that insists on playing the game like it's a Bioware RPG whose only meaningful choice is which peppy bisexual party member you bang. True connoisseurs of CD Projekt Red's oeuvre relish even the subtlest narrative flourishes of their magnum opus, such as the little-known side quest wherein its protagonist "Geralt" finds a note on the beach and must swim to a chest located a short distance from shore in order to retrieve the priceless treasure to which the note refers.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

Lol I love what a big dope Geralt is... the convo with the hunter who's implying he's gay where Geralt thinks he's talking about being a werewolf is really funny

geralt is hank hill with two swords

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah, "potions are a little better" isnt as tempting as "you now have a flamethrower"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its the same game but everything is leveled up

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

fairly early in the game you get the power to absorb enemy hits and heal off the damage, and the healing is actually drastically better in higher difficulties cause of the damage scaling and it kind of made all combat moot. but i was having a better time with the game for it lol since it's not about the fighting as much as it is the writing and exploration.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it is really bad though, that after a while the combat is just a chore in the way of what you like about the game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it's fun killing bandits and stuff but when you start fighting golems and other terrible poo poo and you either spam quen or you die it becomes kind of tedious lol, imo. it's not terrible or anything, wish it was better than 'just serviceable' tho

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i read a book at some point in the game that added a "Greater Vampires" entry, the game has big weird bat monsters in it but the greater vamps are the ones everyone's familiar with. i never actually fought one though, is there a quest for it?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tumor looking batty posted:

tfw you have sex at night and wake up the next morning

with your boots on? doubting the sex OP

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i picked up the dlcs for this and started a new file..playing through it on the highest difficulty with a lot of HUD stuff turned off and its such a good time, i forgot how drat pretty this game is

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

something ive noticed is that unlike a lot of open world games this game is very good at starving you for resources. there's no get-rich-quick farming exploit and you're constantly using up materials and monster parts, which entices you to explore and just hit that next undiscovered point to maybe nab some ingredients or a sweet chest armor.

it wasnt until very late in the game that i felt i could toss money away on everything and at that point i really felt like i had earned it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

at launch there was an exploit where you could slaughter infinitely respawning cows in White Orchard for their hides and make infinite money. when they addressed it in a patch , the notes just said "Added Bovine Defense Force Initiative" and now a massive overleveled Chort shows up and murders you if you kill too many cows. Also in one of the expansions if you're holding too much money a tax collector shows up and accuses you of "engaging in illegal rawhide trade in the white orchard reigon" or something lol

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

put it on the highest difficulty, youve got to pay attention to the systems and its way more fun. otherwise th game does a pretty good job of explaining itself

this and save often. this games awesome, enjoy

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

vaginal facsimile posted:

Disagreed, normal is fine.

normal is dumb because you're invincible and heal instantly out of combat and don't have to prepare for anything, which is half the fun. very hard is a little insane for most people (you die in 2 hits regardless of armor) but hard felt perfect

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i thought the weakest part of the game was easily the talent tree with stupid small +5% upgrades and then on top of that it only lets you 'equip' a handful of your skillpoints lol like cmon

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theres no grinding. 80% of your experience is from quests and key actions (blowing up monster nests, killing big baddies) and you also literally find skillpoints as you explore. if you consider exploring and doing witcher contracts grinding idk what to tell you

e: oh yospos of course

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

be careful with using whatever liqour though theres some liqour you need to make potions and the game usually auto picks i think? i remember one of the most common potion liqours would get autoquaffed on resting

its not an issue the game is constantly giving you common beers

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

for a game like this with a billion crafting materials its surprising that its intuitive and organic. missing that one herb for a formula? just go to an herbalist. got a new recipe and it needs a whole bunch of poo poo-all of which i already have cause ive been raiding every house and box stack i see

materials can be combined in ways that are logical and easy (2x silver -> silver chunk2x -> silver ingot etc.) and you pretty much almost never have to stop and think about this poo poo. just explore. loot. skins? why would skins be used in alchemy? let me just sell those. sell-only stuff is all filed under junk etc. they went to great lengths to idiot proof some pretty heavy crafting elements

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I never used sword oils.

Disagreed, normal is fine.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I saw someone was asking for a quick beginner's tip for this game, and I have some pretty good ones:

-Make SURE that you gather as many Ghoul Snouts as you can before completing the Black Knight's Challenge side quest- if you have less than thirty on your person, you'll be locked out of the quest's REAL ending
-If you find any letters, books, Lore material etc. DO NOT READ THEM! You'll get a silver achievement at the end of the game if you don't read anything
-When the QTE to kill your father at the end of the first act comes up, don't do it immediately, wait for him to finish speaking. Makes the scene a lot more emotional and tense
-When you get to the Aurora Valley region part way through act 2 you'll find three griffons in a canyon immediately to the south, a red, green, and yellow one. Kill them in the following order- Green-Yellow-Red. You will be immediately transported to the final boss and skip the bulk of the game entirely.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the gargoyle stomp is some ol bullshit

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Is this gonna be like witcher 1 where I could gently caress anyone and triss or y-whatever didn't care

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

drat you will straight up miss out on poo poo if you're not paying attention.

theres a certain quest early on where you need to help with a ghost problem. you talk to the ghost, and they ask you to do them a favor. my first run, something was obviously up so i refused and a boss fight ensued, then it started this whole other chain of events that lead to more exposition and rewards.

this time, i decided to just trust the ghost to see what would happen. she murders a dude, quest completed. no boss, no more story, no follow-up quest, just, you did it geralt! :/

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The confessions thread got archived so I may as well say it here, I bought the TW3 strategy guide just for its Gwent section.

i didnt touch gwent once and im not dong it on the second run either. i know it adds another layer to the game and theres a lot of unique dialogue behind it but i just wanna be middle ages batman

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

th ghost also causes a plague that kills a shitload of people. nice goin geralt

god lmao will i just run into this eventually? or should i go somewhere specific

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

And no I don't think there are special timed hits, but positioning matters a lot. I know you do a shitload more damage to human enemies especially if you can get behind them or beside them (and I'm pretty sure it increases the odds of you pulling off an instant kill?)

attacking things in the back is generally smart and i think increases crit chance a shitload.

theres a counter you can do on humanoids using block but that stamina is better used on your magic IMO, the counter feels badass though

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also yeah white orchard (the starting zone) is a little safe island for you to try out the game's mechanics. i'd advise exploring it though, it's really small and you'll find some reaaaally nice early boosts if you help out the locals. but i think the most dangerous thing in the area is like, a local bear lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the arbitrary mobs of random normal-looking enemies that are actually extremely powerful are the worst part of the game but they don't really matter too much

if its around guarded treasure or something, i dont mind since the treasure is intended for a higher level character and it'd just sit in your inventory forever anyway.

random mobs that aren't guarding anything usually aren't very powerful for the zone they're in. if something is just a few levels above you, you can take them on red skull or not even on hard.

if its a boss monster or they have ?? levels thats a different story lol. i love randomly running into a griffin on a hill, he's not guarding any treasure he's just a loving powerful legendary griffin and he likes this drat hill

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

when you first look at the world map in white orchard

when you beat white orchard and look at the real world map

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

love how the crones are built up in the story

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i didnt know installing mods for this was so easy. auto apply oils is a must

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the weight limit is fine, keeps you from piling up a ton of crap and you can upgrade it a lot very early on.

theres "quality of life" mods that make it so that every vendor always buys your stuff for the maximum amount and poo poo like that breaks the game imo, just cheat in money at that point

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Thinking of difficulty, one of the dumb things I did years ago was install mods before playing a game even once, and there was a highly rated difficulty mod for Witcher 1 that people said made the combat a lot more fun even for newbies. The easiest difficulty had me die a dozen times in the tutorial and changed the starting ghost dog enemies you fight into murdering you if you didnt run away and heal up 10 times a fight

Ive only modded two games since then

all the better balance mods for witcher 3 involve either making you a god with every skill maxed out and selling things gives you more gold than buying them, or it makes it so that you have to be naked with 1 sword or youre over max weight and everything murders you

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

beat hearts of stone, very fun adventure. the heist and thee entire wedding quest were awesome, and the villain is built up really well.

just reached blood&wine and its an entire loving continent

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

You a racist, Reginald?!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

man..stone hearts was good but blood n wine is fantastic. theyre introducing a lot of new enemies, most of them very threatening or at the very least cool as hell. getting first time in velen chills and mystery surrounds everything

every couple steps theres a new interesting quest. its really dense with content, i may just do a second play through with a dlc-only character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i just got to the main city in b&w..holy poo poo this is a second game's worth of content easily lol

e: shame i dont care about gwent, there seems to be a lot of stuff for it. the bartenders all have like 100 different cards in stock

• Locked thread