Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Walked posted:

I'm looking for suggestions on a third legacy deck, part of it is wanting to mix it up, and part of it is that I'm getting a legacy scene going at my shop and I've been lending decks more and more.

I have Bant Deathblade as my primary deck and Reanimator that I loan often.

I really just want to pick something up that plays differently - I am debating between New Miracles, Death and Taxes (leaning away from this as there's a lot of that here already), and I'm not sure what else.

My primary factor is that it 'feels' different so I have a secondary deck that offers a different dynamic, and isn't just a T1-3 combo deck. What am I foolishly not considering?

the answer is probably lands, isn't it?

It's lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Aston posted:

How do you feel the D&T matchup is from Lands' side?

I've been playing lands forever and it isn't great on RG. You can shore it up a little bit by playing a bayou and running massacre though >: ).

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Yep, not poor legacy guy who owns elves and pimped out lands here to confirm I wish every card dropped to a dollar over night.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

MTGO ladies and gents. (He's on the draw on storm game 3 rd 1 of a league.)

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Ha, I painted a lotus vale into a black lotus for a vintage tourney about a year ago. Woops!

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

BrianBoitano posted:

To think that I had like 15 copies of AEther Vial, a handful of fetch lands, and other fun cards and I gave them away right before WTC made a good format for them :negative:

Mm, legacy my dude!

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I've basically never played modern, am I Really loving Stupid for wanting to play a U/B/W deck that just runs a bunch of discard and fatal pushes/paths on 1, some remands and snaps on 2, ashiok on 3, jace and cryptic on 4 w/ some sweepers in there somewhere?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

As someone who also never plays modern, that all sounds fine in my mind except that as much as I love Ashiok, I don't think it's good enough to see play over either of the 3-drop Lilianas. The Last Hope probably fits better in the deck you're describing since it sounds like you want to be able to hold up countermagic a reasonable amount of the time.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of like a 2/2/3 split between lil/ash/jace in my head. I always think things like "ashiok probably isn't strong enough" but then I cast her in, say, legacy and am just blown away by how strong she actually is. Stealing & casting your opponent's goyfs for 0 mana or whatever feels really good.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
OK, bought an esper list on MTGO and have been doing some modern Jace testing.

Test results so far, bearing in mind I'm just in free play tournament prep games on MTGO. Also bearing in mind that I have not actually played more than a dozen games of modern in my life, and have no idea what my opponents are playing and that I'm also extremely bad at magic.

So far I've played against what seem like mostly real decks, with one exception being some megrim style mill deck w/ an owl in it.

Ashiok update! I have had 3 separate opponents instantly concede to turn 3 ashiok into empty board. I have had 1 opponent instantly concede the entire match to it. So far she feels way way way stronger than Lilly.

I think I need to add 1 or 2 more lands and at least one more wrath.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

They aren't legal online yet, but early testing from a lot of pros and Modern people are pretty consistently portraying Jace as the best thing you can do for 4 mana by a pretty wide margin.

They are legal online, I'm currently 2-0 in a league with my jashiok list above.

Also, Jace is still Pretty Good.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
There's one on ebay for $100 BIN, good deal easily worth the money.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

On MTGO it seems like every deck I play is some variant of playing a single land card and creating limitless token creatures out of your graveyard. Still, every now and then I sneak out a win though. I just beat some dude that summoned an 11/11 black creature (again from the graveyard) on turn 1 by Swords to Plowsharing it and counterspelling stuff until i could get my big flyers out.

You sure it wasn't a 7/7? I don't think there are any 11/11 black creatures in the entire game. The decks that are throwing fatties out of the yard are usually some variant of reanimator. Sometimes though they are tin fins because, why not?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

suicidesteve posted:

Also if you're not playing Deathrite you're making a mistake.

Lands would like a word with you.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Just stopping by to say "lmao" at the Tabernacle buyout.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Mezzanon posted:

Are you interested in an artist signed mox jet?

Serious post would you be interested in maybe working out a trade?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

TheAsterite posted:

In a month or 2. Need to save up a little more, but yeah, I'd be interested. What condition?

I think you've got the wrong guy - I was asking Mezz if he would want to trade his signed jet to me.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

suicidesteve posted:

Just Brain Froze my friend for 114 in response to his Baleful Strix draw trigger AMA

Solidarity is the best deck. Also: unban dig through time.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

TimNeilson posted:

Anyone have some recent sideboarding guides for legacy elves? I’ve just built the deck online and while I feel like I have a decent feel for how you’re supposed to actually play and go off, I’m completely lost on how to sideboard for various matchups. I’ve done a bit of googling and everything I’ve been able to find is like 3-4 years old at this point unless I’ve completely missed something.

Look up itsjulian, prolific elves steamer and very good player.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Hauki posted:

oh I should probably sell a bunch of my dumb eternal format poo poo that hasn’t seen the light of day in years at the gp here in a few months

Send me a list first ;)

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

do you really want one because it's becoming really hard to justify like 25 grand not being put to use at all and i'll probably actually sell

I mean, yeah, send it over. I probably won't buy your entire collection but if you've got power or duals that I don't have I'll at least consider 'em at a price higher than GP buylist.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I mean I'm mostly after vintage stuff but sure. I still need two Korean gambles and the same explorations too in case anyone has any of those.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Did you see the list I posted earlier?

Yeah, I'm not trying to drop 100 grand on magic cards in one go though...

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Good bans imo, wonder what I should replace DRS with in elves.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Yeah, I've got md scooze already. Was also thinking like 1-2 llanowar and then... not sure.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I'm at the point where I'm considering building high tide because "all" I need are candles. So, at least y'all aren't me.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

suicidesteve posted:

Smgdh @ not playing Reset :colbert:

I already own and sometimes play solidarity, its the best deck in all of magic.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
This is technically an eternal question I guess. No banlist format where the only restriction (outside of normal mtg restrictions) is that your list has to be under $25 TCG market price.

I've already designed a kind of janky worldgorger deck. Can anyone think of anything else that might be good in that range?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hey guys, I'm cashing out of 95% of my legacy and modern stuff. I will be adding a post to the buy/sell thread with an Excel sheet soon but I just wanted the people here to know in case anyone needs anything.

On the extremely off chance you have any German FBB seas I'm in the market for a couple.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Archenteron posted:

Ah my friend someone brought the idea of Cheapo Supremo to your neck of the woods. One shop in my area keeps pushing it, using Vintage banlist but the same price restriction. I've seen some decent white aggro with Always Watching, a cheap Faeries deck used to be doable, some sort of burn is always accessible, Affinity is doable, one beautiful motherfucker swept everyone's rear end off with Mono Green Belcher at that pricepoint, I've seen a mono-black control that uses Necropotence and Bosium Strip and I forget the rest but it was rude as poo poo, I've seen Temporal Storm, some sort of black tempo deck with edicts and Abyssal Persecutors, all sorts of goodies.

But yeah google "Cheapo Supremo" and you should find a collection of decklists.

Would make a good online Thunderdome format to boot.

Oh, no, I just wanted to introduce some friends to magic and figured this would be a more fun way than having everyone play precons. Didn't realize it was a thing.

Those are all cool decklists. I had considered belcher, but didn't look into it. And yeah, I've been having a really good time brewing with it.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

C-Euro posted:

Took a minute to Google this and this format looks dope. I found this Astral Slide/Lightning Rift list that I really really want to play but I think it's too expensive in its current form :(-
4 Boros Garrison
4 Drifting Meadow
4 Forgotten Cave
5 Plains
4 Secluded Steppe
4 Smoldering Crater
4 Akroma's Vengeance
4 Astral Slide
4 Flametongue Kavu
2 Fluctuator
4 Lightning Rift
4 Lone Missionary
2 Radiant's Judgment
1 Sol Ring
4 Sun Titan
2 Sunblast Angel
4 Wall of Omens

I'm currently working on a drake haven/slide list -- I'll post it once I finalize it! But yeah the price on fluctuator is insane :(

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Das Butterbrot posted:

6.5/10 Light play

Gradeable by TCGPlayer standards.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Skyl3lazer posted:

holy poo poo i played in a room of mono-bad matchups, still top 8'd then died to another bad matchup.

I'm on lands, my opponents were maverick, burn, monoR prison, storm, miracles, and 4c loam. There was a single goblins player in the room I think i had a positive matchup against

It's been like this for me locally for a while now on lands and its not great.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Skyl3lazer posted:

BORN TO DIE
META IS A gently caress
Surgical Em All 1989
I am loam man
410,757,864,530 DEAD KARAKAS

You have my extreme support

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Hell yeah Legacy is the fuckin' best.

Yeah, I'm so happy I put solidarity back together. Also really happy I didn't drop the maindeck remand. No one loving expects remand.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Just sold all my standard poo poo on there for tickets and built a Legacy deck again (since I'm taking this year off Standard so I stop spending money to keep up with the meta...saving to move and buy a house).

I don't really talk to anyone who plays standard but I'm curious. Does this sentiment ring true with people who do? Like, do they know standard is more expensive than eternal formats if you play it for more than some (fairly short) ammt of time? Or does everyone just assume this is not the case?

(also, good luck with the move!)

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

kalvanoo posted:

while modern sucks you guys should all play premodern, so i have someone to play with. please. im begging

Working on it brother.

https://imgur.com/a/Dm1Bc0t

Wastelands not pictured but they exist, everything else is in the mail. Need to upgrade some stuff but gonna take it slow before I blow even more $ on poo poo I'll never play with IRL.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

kalvanoo posted:

:monocle: hoooly crap. Are you buying the foil promo wastelands?

Eventually yeah, provided I actually find people to play with IRL. For now I just have the Korean wastelands I play with in legacy that I can swap over.

The only thing I'll be holding off on for sure are the absorbs bc they're high right now because of standard I think.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Walked posted:

So uh

Miracles with new Narset and Teferi is REALLY strong

Got a list? I'm getting a little bored with lands.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Sounds like I should pick up a couple Tundras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what are you getting back in lands?

e: i know siggy literally says seismic assault in the tweet but that seems like a super different deck

Can't tell you how many times I've wished I could get an exploration out of my bin. Or a molten vortex. Also, the new enchantment that gives all your lands (r) cycle seems pretty OK. And the new 1R sorcery that blows up an artifact w/ dredge 1 on it seems pretty OK. Good set for lands.