Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

It's on a loving monday and tuesday? LOL And people wonder why legacy is dying.

Or I just typed the dates wrong or something but that would require thought I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Walked posted:

So after having finally putting a couple legacy decks together: legacy is the bomb. Holy moly fun

Confirmed

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Star Man posted:

Question for Dredge players: how happy are you when your opponent is playing Living End?

Witness the power of my 4 12/12 grave trolls

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Heck yeah, Yacht is getting longer

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ville Valo posted:

I haven't played in like 2 years, so I went out and updated a half dozen Legacy decks and will be playing this weekend. Is it wrong to play Colorless Eldrazi because I want to cast big dumb fatties, and loan out my infinitely more expensive and better 4-color Delver? Or do I just play Delver like a grownup and live vicariously through a friend dropping fatties? :bang:

4c Delver is in a really bad place in the meta to be honest. The colorless eldrazi deck is super strong, as is the white splash for Thalias, Displacer, and whatnot. I've ever seen weirder poo poo, like splashing red for Flametongue Kavu, or playing Fleetwheel Cruisers as Reality Smashers 5-8.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Irony Be My Shield posted:

THE NEW SLASH PANTHER

Turning all your Thalias and TKS into 5 power trampling attackers when they come into play is pretty cool.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Anyone going to EE5 in baltimore this weekend?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I 4-0'd a 20-person legacy tournament last night with sultai Opposition; I cribbed the list from the Bazaar of Moxen top-16 and made a few meta call changes. I beat infect twice, death and taxes, and UW stoneblade in the final round.

This deck is an absolute blast to pilot. My main point of comparison is Elves, since I've played that the most, and these are both decks which can in theory kill you with a T3 hoof, so they are similar in some ways. This is a lot less explosive, and resilient for almost entirely different reasons.

With Elves I am often in a situation where it's "draw X card and win, or probably just die". Elves has a lot of bullshit that you just don't want to topdeck. Because this deck is entirely cantrips and interaction, there aren't nearly as many feel-bad draws; about the only thing that sucks is drawing a second Opposition when you've already got one you can't play. (Drawing a second in general is fine because then you can just slam the first and not care if it eats a force).

Highlight of the night for me was probably the DnT matchup; they had a green splash, in game 1 they played a T2 Gaddock Teeg out of the main when I had 2 GSZ in hand and drew into a 3rd, so that was an absolute blowout. Game two I believe I got Opposition online pretty quickly, blew up his fire & ice, and then ground out a win over many turns. Game 3 we went to time, on turn 3 I got a 4-for-1 by kicking marsh casualties, and got in for lethal with some margin for error on the final turn of the game.

Anyway, if you are looking for something to troll people with that's reasonably competitive, it seems good. You can pretty convincingly pretend to be Jund, Elves or even Infect depending on what your opener is and what you're trying to bait. 3 different win conditions along with 6 main deck discard spells and 4 abrupt decay is also pretty obnoxious; my favorite keep of the night was G3 on the play against infect: thoughtseize, thoughtseize, cabal therapy, bayou, deathrite shaman, jitte, abrupt decay.

Was this at curio?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tim Raines IRL posted:

you got it. which deck were you? :D

I was playing 4c loam

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Ah cool I think I was sitting next to you when you played my buddy, he was the burn deck.

Ugh I played the worst two games of magic I've played in years

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Biaga posted:

I am new to the thread and was introduced to the game via some close friends. They are seriously addicted, like I am worried sometimes, but in an effort to avoid my taunts they have recently purchased me a commander deck in hopes I will, like them, fall in love with the game. The commander deck they gave me was the Wade into Battle, and I was hoping to get some advice from goons on how to min-max it, because obviously I am totally not curious about beating them. Any advice would be helpful or if there is any trick of the trade I should know I would be greatful.

You probably want the main thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751954

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ville Valo posted:

Oh, that Soldiers deck didn't make it? :(

Lost to miracles on t4 to a topdecked entreat

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yeah it's a situation that 99% of the judges I know would be comfortable with the rewind, but hey this is the dude that (seemingly) also said a guy couldnt tutor for a sorcery because a judge said he could at table.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

Are you talking about the Rich Shay thing? Because that's not what happened at all.

Who the hell knows since the only commentary we have on it is Randy "Vintage All-Star" Buehler's.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Death of Rats posted:

Anyone have a great Lands list? There is starting to be a proxy Legacy scene on the casual MTG night at my FLGS, and I was thinking that for the cost of a printer cartridge and a pack of sleeves, I should get involved. Lands seems like it's unlike anything I've ever played before.

Current List:

Spells:

2x Punishing Fire
4x Exploration
4x Crop Rotation
4x Life from the Loam
4x Gamble
4x Mox Diamond
1x Manabond
2x Molten Vortex

Lands:

4x Thespian's Stage
4x Wasteland
4x Rishadan Port
3x Grove of the Burnwillows
3x Taiga
3x Dark Depths
3x Maze of Ith
2x Tranquil Thicket
2x Wooded Foothills
1x Windswept Heath
1x The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1x Riftstone Portal
1x Bojuka Bog
1x Glacial Ghasm
1x Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1x Forest

Sideboard:
2x Trinisphere
2x Chalice of the Void
2x Boil
1x Karakas
2x Tieless Tracker
3x Krosan Grip
1x Back to Nature
2x Kozilek's Return

Flex Spots:
Bog vs Karakas vs Boseiju main is a meta call, I tend to find Karakas is the worst uncuttable card in the 75, and Boseiju is amazing vs Miracles game 1.
Sideboard is fairly flexible - I play the B2N instead of the 4th grip, and Boil over Choke because of the Boseiju. There's so much enchantment hate out of some decks your grips can get overloaded (Miracles, looking at you). You can also play a Crucible of Worlds and a Ghost quarter somewhere int he 75 if you're feeling spicy.
Some people are playing a Barbarian Ring against Prelate, I think it's dumb because postboard they're going to have RiP anyway, so I went with Kozi's return SB and a fire/vortex split main.

I guess ask if you have any other questions, the deck isn't in an amazing place in the meta right now, but it's still fun as heck to play. It rewards really knowing the timings and interactions of your cards as well.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The March Hare posted:

Why return over clasm? Is it being an instant worth the extra mana?

Instant + Devoid so it gets past Mom

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

We just need a goon xmage presence, the newer patch of it makes it actually really good.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

EvilBeard posted:

Do you guys play Punishing Fire or Molten Vortex? I feel like I rarely need Tabernacle. I either lock them up with Molten Vortex/Loam or I just win with the combo. I rarely find myself looking for Tabernacle.

Tabernacle is like Karakas in that games it wins, no other card would. Additionally, it's a strong part of your mana denial plan, and puts a ton of pressure on the low mana creature strategies (delvers, elves, etc). It's nearly a wrath in some cases as well, when you can double waste into tabernacle and pass the turn.

The card is extremely good, and honestly pretty necessary to have an actual good build of lands. I'm not saying it "worth" the money (the card is expensive only because it's a RL card from Legends), but it's a critical part of the deck. I say this as a dude who has played probably over 1000 matches with Lands in its current iteration.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Elyv posted:

Do you even Magic??

As soon as Fastbond is unbanned in Legacy my day will come again

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

L0cke17 posted:

Ye olde 7 card combo: 3 islands, zuran orb, fastbond, crucible, lovely timewalk. Take infinite turns.

Also infinite life and mana

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

signalnoise posted:

poo poo I don't feel bad at all getting rid of it. I just want to get SOMETHING for it but hell I haven't played magic in over a decade

I'm sure there's a lot of people, myself included, that would make a reasonable offer on the collection if you send pictures of just piles of stuff in it

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Snacksmaniac posted:

Who goin to Louisville?

I wish I could. Also, since I can't, I wish I could actually watch legacy that weekend.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

Spell-based combo. I realistically should have lost to Storm when I played it but my draws were good and I knew the right spells to counter. Pierce also usually can't counter an Infernal Tutor but is otherwise generally better.

I mean pierce usually doesn't actually counter tutor but if they go from 6 to 4 mana floating that can be real big.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Nosre posted:

After not playing paper (outside of an occasional draft) since 2003-2005, I come into this thread every couple years to marvel. Blood Moon and Ensnaring Bridge are in the 30-50 goddamn US dollars tier.

Last time I visited there was a lot of discussion about Chinese forgeries getting scary good, how's that front?

They're always getting better but generally on SA expect to talk about how to spot them not where to get them. They're still illegal.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Moatman posted:

Nic Fit's a legit deck now

lol

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I guess I have to take a pic of Lands tonight w updates

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

OK have a bunch of pretty shots of JPN foil Lands. I'm two depths and a handful of recently added cards from my version of complete (barb ring, kozi returns)

http://imgur.com/a/9Cvt7

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

L0cke17 posted:

I think BUG Delver is personally. With Fatal Push you have quality removal without splashing, and you can play either discard or more counterspells to protect Leovold. He takes the slot of what used to be the true-name or clique in the more traditional builds. I personally like the version with stifle and daze, and minimum levels of discard (usually no hymns, small number of TS/Duress).

I disagree with playing a creature in a delver deck which costs 3 mana and isnt immune to everything

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Snagged depths 3 today, if all goes well I'll be 75/75 by next weekend!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Smashing Link posted:

How critical are Glimpses for UBx Mill? I have a single one of them and am not in a hurry to pay for more. Have all the other cards though.

It's the only good card in the deck, and "good" is a stretch here

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Thank loving God, took long enough

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

BORN TO PLOW
META IS A gently caress
GRIP EM ALL 1990
I am green man
410,757,864,530 DEAD TOPS

Correct

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I mean, there are plenty of 1 color and 1 Mana answers to moon, decay isn't required. Also mean you need 2 drs or a basic in play to cast over say, natural state or similar.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

L0cke17 posted:

Or if you think your opponent has it just hold up bg and float Mana in response to the moon on the stack.

Yes, but that's the issue. The only answer to moon being "always hold up 2 Mana and decay"

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Here's the Modern pile I'm going to try out in side events at GP Richmond when I'm not in Legacy Challenges

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/636813#paper

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 5, 2017

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

C-Euro posted:

Why Baby Jace in the board? Seems like a weird include alongside Snapcaster.

Snaps are just flipjace 5-6. Jace lets you cast visions and balance out if your yard with as foretold.

Also Lumbering falls are splashed for hexproof since there's zero creatures main. Less Mana activation is also relevant, but it is mainly a way to blank your opponent's removal g1

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 5, 2017

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

This is the new modern jam I'm testing, sideboard in progress. It's been fun as gently caress.

Deck: Grixis As Foretold

//Lands
1 Blood Crypt
2 Darkslick Shores
3 Island
2 Misty Rainforest
4 Polluted Delta
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
2 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

//Artifacts
1 Engineered Explosives

//Enchantments
4 As Foretold
1 Blood Moon

//Instants
3 Fatal Push
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Mana Leak
1 Spell Snare

//Sorceries
4 Ancestral Vision
1 Collective Brutality
4 Serum Visions
1 Yahenni's Expertise

//Creatures
3 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Keranos, God of Storms
4 Snapcaster Mage
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

//Sideboard
1 Blood Moon
2 Collective Brutality
1 Damnation
4 Fulminator Mage
2 Liliana of the Veil
1 Liliana, the Last Hope
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Terminate

Display deck statistics

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

But modern is the ~~best format~~

Just wait until Deathrite goes and you can justify playing a deck that doesn't have it.

jk pros love their midrange garbage so Deathrite will never go

DRS is like 1/3rd of the meta, who cares its a 1/2 mana dork

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

uninverted posted:

This new god is the best thing to pair with Beck since Nigel Godrich.

Just posting to say I appreciated this joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The one thing Gideon can do us attack and get flickered by angel to still make a token but that's never been relevant so far. Elspeth jumping dudes has been good.

The one thing Gideon can do is +1 and get pathed