Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

EvilBeard posted:

Took my newly finished Lands deck to FNM, and finished 3-1. I lost the Lands mirror, which is intricate, yet excruciating. I beat Infect, BUG, and BR Reanimator. I think I need to tweak my board a bit for my meta.

Took my newly finished Affinity deck to FNM, and finished 3-1. I lost the Affinity mirror, due to keeping a bad hand with bad draws. I beat BW Tokens, Grixis Delver, and RG Scapeshift. I still need one more Mox Opal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

Was it Scapeshift Scapeshift or RG Breach that's also running Scapeshift? I've been on the straight Breach version for a few events and like it, but I have yet to play the Affinity matchup which is one that worries me on paper. How did that match go?

It was Scapeshift Scapeshift. Tbh the match was like most wherein if he drew well he would've won & if I drew better I would've won faster (we both drew mediocre & I went 2-0)

e: Affinity is probably a bad matchup for you esp if they Thoughtseize you post-board

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Johnny Landmine posted:

To the right of the Gambles

Heh.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Meta call

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

Debating which deck to take to FNM this week. Been doing pretty well with Titan Breach but I recently finished BW Tokens and need an excuse to actually sleeve it up. Any opinions?

Play BW Tokens, it's just FNM

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
3-1 on Affinity tonight, probably have Ad Nauseam done by the end of the month. Biggest moments tonight were:

T2 kill in the mirror with Inkmoth Nexus
and
Got way too excited playing a friend on infect (he tapped out after I Thoughtseized post-board & I knew I could end the game on backswing if he did) and missed my EoT Steel Overseer tap which would have easily won the game. Couldn't rewind since it was a real game, but I did still have just over lethal on the backswing. Felt good to recognize the misplay & note it for the future (I get too excited when I'm about to win) without getting utterly punished for it.

Biggest takeaways were:
Don't declare victory too soon. I may not always say it out loud, but I often get ahead of myself & get punished for it.
Signal Pest is severely underrated & can be the last couple points of damage needed to close a game.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Someone in the competitive EDH community (yes that's a thing) did the side event with their Teferi deck. $30 for a box & 15 packs

myDad fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 19, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Moatman posted:

Are there any decent (good enough to prize in a daily, if those still exist) goyfless GBx controlly-midrange decks running around Modern ATM? Maybe like that pure GB rock deck Reid Duke played at a GP a few years back

This one looks super fun!!

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-abzan-scales-modern/

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Great writeup! I just finished Ad Nauseam & am working on the sideboard. According to some mates at the LGS I should expect to see a lot of Burn & Affinity at the GP which I think is good news for Ad Nauseam. I remember seeing a lot of Infect at the last GP as well and I have a friend that plays it, so I'm going to try out the Crovax tech during playtests. Content like this is amazing, keep it up!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Dragon Stompy

Creatures:
4 Simian Spirit Guide
3 Magus of the Moon
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Sin Prodder
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
4 Thunderbreak Regent
2 Thundermaw Hellkite
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Instants/Sorceries:
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Molten Rain

Artifacts:
3 Mind Stone
3 Trinisphere
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Sword of War and Peace

Lands:
22 Mountain
---------------------------------
Sideboard:
1 Dragon's Claw
2 Sulfur Elemental
3 Vexing Shusher
3 Phyrexian Revoker
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Reforge the Soul

Been playing a version of Dragon Stompy in modern online this weekend. I haven't shelled out for chalices & think they would be very strong here, but it's still surprising how many decks fold to Blood Moon, Trinisphere, and Land Destruction in the main. Most of the threats offer an advantage to make 1-for-1s in my favor as much as possible while Simian Spirit Guides even out awkward draws alongside Mind Stone & allow for early an Trinisphere or Magus of the Moon.

This is the second version where the first one used Thopter Engineer & Smuggler's Copter alongside Pia and Goblin Rabblemaster for early aggression and filter. Besides the lack of Chalices due to budget, I think Skred could potentially fit here, but I like the versatility of Lightning Bolt for reach with a really aggressive hand (Bolts into Rabblemaster against a slower deck).

Wish I had Fiery Confluence as well, but back in reality I think the sideboard could be transformational with planeswalkers, Anger, and Ensnaring Bridge. I can speak to the strength of Dragon's Claw, Anger of the Gods, Phyrexian Revoker, and Vexing Shusher in the appropriate matches, but Sulfur Elemental & Reforge seem out of place.

myDad fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 19, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I think Koth/Chandra/Bridge is a whole different deck, this is a Modern take on Dragon Stompy from Legacy.

Definitely the Chalices as an upgrade. Relics seem too slow, the deck is basically aggro. Goal is to hose faster decks with Trinisphere/Magus of the Moon/Chalice/Molten Rain then beatdown in a couple turns with Rabblemaster/Dragons.

Cavern of Souls might be a good upgrade, and I like 1-of Gemstone Caverns (it puts odd games in your favor off the bat).

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Got Platinum Angel from an Aether Revolt draft, I'll try trading it for Chandras & see how they work on paper. Thanks for the thoughts y'all!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

L0cke17 posted:

So once? On a related note one of my friends top 8'd a Star city legacy event with TES vs hive mind. His opponent had resolved a hive mind, and had pacts my friend couldn't pay for, at the end of game 3. But my friend cast ad nauseum during the end step, right before he was gonna die. His opponent was at 15 from two ancient tombs and a force. Hive mind copied ad nauseum, and is required to be resolved once. Of course he flips emrakul and dies.

That's sweet

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Man... Monday is modern night & money's kinda tight right now. Usually buy-in for the night is $5 but everyone decided to do win-a-box of MM17 so it was $20. Already kinda upset & sick af (was home all last week ill) I play to get some reps in before the GP next week.

Made it to top 4 which was great! Was ready to split & go home with some packs that I couldn't actually afford, but one guy wanted to play for the whole box so we didn't split & I immediately lost to go home and take some medicine. Sucks.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

empathe posted:

Wow. These invocations are terrible looking.

This, and they're reprinting a bunch of eternal staples

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Hey Aven Mindcensor reprint tho

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Vital Signs posted:

I formerly played Mono Red in Legacy before I sold out of the format. Chalice, Trinisphere, Blood Moon, Through the Breach and Sneak Attack. It seems like some Dragon Stompy variants in Modern are kind of doing the same thing. Considering picking up the deck. Talk me into or out of it.

I brewed up a Dragon Stompy variant in modern & posted my WIP list a page ago or so, imo it would fit great in modern but people are afraid of experimentation

Trinisphere/Chalice completely hoses a lot of combo decks in modern and most fair decks can't deal with 4 Rabblemasters, couple Pia/Kirans, and increasingly scary dragons on curve

Blood Moon/Magus is great against all the 3 color decks, but can be safely taken out after game 1 for more specific hate since they will likely play around it

Vital Signs posted:

I'll just stick to vengeance-ing and TTBing Emmy and Griselbrand for now. Thanks folks.

O lol

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

myDad posted:

Man... Monday is modern night & money's kinda tight right now. Usually buy-in for the night is $5 but everyone decided to do win-a-box of MM17 so it was $20. Already kinda upset & sick af (was home all last week ill) I play to get some reps in before the GP next week.

Made it to top 4 which was great! Was ready to split & go home with some packs that I couldn't actually afford, but one guy wanted to play for the whole box so we didn't split & I immediately lost to go home and take some medicine. Sucks.

C-Euro posted:

That's lame, if I'm going to "make" my entry fee back I'll always at least offer to split. Tell me that guy lost, at least.

Lol just to follow up on this after I left coughing out my insides it turns out the two guys in the finals (one of which was the reason we all played citing that he just wanted to play magic!) decided to split without playing it out! Gonna give both of em poo poo for this one

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
New Gideon looks interesting as a replacement for Phyrexian Unlife in Ad Nauseam. Unlife can buy more time in burn type matches, but Gideon would be an absolute monster against Infect & certain variants of Death's Shadow.

myDad fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 6, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I think what someone else said about answers in modern being narrow was onto something. For the past couple weeks I've been experimenting with tempo elements in Ad Nauseam mainboard (Blessed Alliance, Darkness, Collective Brutality), but the spells that are an absolute blowout in one match may be completely useless in the next, so I obviously went back to all-in combo & left a couple strong contenders for the sideboard. That being said, I love Esper but I think Grixis has a greater ability to turn the corner once it has a card advantage. I have seen control lists in Esper that are 100% draw-go with limited win-cons (Secure the Wastes/Celestial Colonnade), but I think narrow answers make it difficult for any control deck in a format with such aggressive diversity.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
3-0 with a bye on Ad Naus tonight, new Gideon is going to be so brutal though. Talked to a lot of people about it tonight & apparently it is already selling for $40+ with presales. Luckily, I mentioned Platinum Angel masterpiece while looking for trades & found the one guy on U Tron that will look for some Goryo's Vengeance pieces to trade for it!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

EvilBeard posted:

I went 4-0-1 to win FNM tonight with Titan Breach (and a bye). I beat Aristocrats, Elves, Blue Moon, and then drew with a Scapeshift deck because it locked him in 4th and me in first.

I cut the SSGs I'd been running and added 2 Combustible Gearhulk. It was moderately ok. It got Elves to scoop a game. Seems not too terrible. I got kills with Worldspine Wurm, Emrakul, and Gearhulk tonight.

You're running the Wurm?? Are the tokens left over from it & trample often relevant over Annihilator 6 & flying?

myDad fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 8, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

EvilBeard posted:

The thing about the Wurm is that it's green so you can get it with Summoner's Pact. It's also not that hard to cast with all your ramp. I used to run 2 Emrakul, now I run 1 of it, one Wurm.

Oh the Pact! TitanBreach seems sweet

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Grixis splashing white is also pretty baller

e: Also just wanna throw out that it's nice to see suicide black as a legit archetype in modern even though 10% of the meta is incredible & I hope it settles down without bans

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

BORN TO PLOW
META IS A gently caress
GRIP EM ALL 1990
I am green man
410,757,864,530 DEAD TOPS

Lol

And what a day whew

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Vital Signs posted:

After winning 4 weeks in a row, Griselbrand/Emrakul took a poop on me last night. Several mulls to five, land floods, you name it. Still love the little bastard of a deck though.

Thinking about switching back to Pyroclasm in the side over Anger of the Gods. Most situations I'm seeing locally Pyroclasm is better for being a turn sooner and not needing double red, but there are some cases where the 3 damage and/or exile is needed.

Emrakul as more than a 1-of? Is this RB Reanimator in Modern?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

muon posted:

Speaking of Abzan Company, what list do you guys like? Looking on MTGO it seems like there's two ways to take it, either all-in on the combo or more of a toolbox approach.

Imo there's a healthy middle-ground & flexibility is one of the greatest strengths of the deck. Since it requires a critical mass of creatures <4cmc for Collected Company to be effective you can always go for beats while trying to combo off, and with Chord you can have a bunch of 1-ofs for specific situations in the main.

code:
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Kitchen Finks
3 Devoted Druid
3 Vizier of Remedies
2 Eternal Witness
2 Noble Hierarch
2 Duskwatch Recruiter
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Walking Ballista
1 Archangel of Thune
1 Spike Feeder
1 Fiend Hunter
1 Viscera Seer
1 Bloodthrone Vampire
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Tireless Tracker
1 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Btw, while impractical within the constraints of the deck, there's a neat combo with: your sac outlet, Saffi Eriksdotter, and Reveillark that lets you infinitely loop any creatures with 2 power or less (Fiend Hunter, Fulminator Mage, Tidehollow Sculler)

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Tireless Tracker is great for a really weird reason.

When you have infinite green mana & Duskwatch Recruiter out you can activate the ability on his human side an arbitrary number of times. Since it looks at the top 3 cards and puts them on the bottom of your library in any order, when the size of your library is a multiple of 3 you scry any single card you want to the top. When the size is NOT a multiple of 3 you can rearrange your library as you like. In the latter case you can rearrange your library to enhance the effectiveness of Collected Company, which can be drawn after rearranging your library with Tireless Tracker.

I think it's a neat trick, but I don't see how Courser of Kruphix comes into the discussion.

e: Since this was started as primarily a discussion between a more all-in on combo vs toolbox & one-of approach I'd like to open it up a little more. Do you think hand disruption is a significant problem alongside Surgical Extraction? Have you thought to minimize the effect these spells can have at tearing apart your gameplan, and how does your approach more embody the combo or toolbox side?

myDad fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 16, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Walked posted:

So I've been busting my butt on Abzan Company Combo for SCG Baltimore next weekend. I think I've found something close to the optimal build; right now I'm 9-1 across two Comp League runs today on this build.

Really, really feels solid. The lines of play and level of redundancy is simply nuts. It's resilient to discard; has multiple lines to get to the combo finish, and can grind with the best of them.

It feels like it's got play against the entire meta; no match feels like an instant loss. It can slide into midrange / grind, and threatens a combo finish at every turn. It's not hit by incidental GY hate for dredge. Deck simply feels really, really solid.

Post your list! Do you play more to one combo or the other? Do you find yourself siding out combo pieces for more hate & interaction post-board?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Is the Druid there just for more ramp? Vizier does the beats backup better and is used in both combos present in the list. Curious how your expectations have changed as you tried different ratios of combo, ramp, and beats

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Mezzanon posted:

druid and vizier make infinite mana to activate recruiter to find walking ballista to make an infinite damage ballista

Sorry, I mean why have more Druids if Vizier is the common piece in both combos? Finks can combo with Anafenza, so essentially has an extra copy of that piece, but Druid can only combo with Vizier

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Hurricane is modern-legal. If you're ahead on life, it's a win. If you're behind, you can draw any game.

Can't be found with Duskwatch Recruiter, has to be Scry'd via Viscera

e: I haven't played it as much as you guys since I've been away from the game shop, but I've been doing plenty of theory crafting to try and find the most resilient version (combo with 2/3 pieces Extracted) while retaining enough utility & power on the board to win the grind. I'll do a proper write-up once I get back to the shop and put in reps

On that note, has anyone tried Bloodthrone Vampire or Mirror Entity as secondary wins with each half respectively?

myDad fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 20, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
The Eternal Witness notes are interesting, and Druid can be strong for Chords

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
No FNM fired (summer in a college town), but I played a few games on the GW version. Played against Esper Control with a splash for Nahiri, Elves, and RG Ponza. The control matches were great, combo is fast and there's enough redundancy to fight through counters and removal. Post board got Vizier extracted, but Tireless Tracker had some amazing value and Gavony Township pumped the dorks. Elves was basically a race, guy plays Overwhelming Stampede so Path is less useful. RG Ponza was bad, my inexperience showed as I kept a 1-lander against an unknown opponent and had my dorks & lands killed off. Second game he miracle'd two copies of Bonfire for an overwhelming victory. Gonna throw in some Knight of the Reliquaries and more Trackers for that one (another guy at the shop plays Ponza). Has anyone else on GWx Collected Company faced Elves or Ponza? Curious what some big hitters were out of the side or a general strategy.

Some notes:
The threat of combo lets you get away with some pretty greedy plays
Tireless Tracker is an amazing card & I want more of them
Eldritch Evolution feels good with a bunch of mana dorks
Eternal Witness is great & incredibly versatile, heard it aptly described as the `green Snapcaster`
Duskwatch Recruiter's ability is insanely valuable, but his flip is annoying
Still want to try Archangel of Thune for a secondary combo

myDad fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 3, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Fingers McLongDong posted:

One of the guys in my group has played elves for a long time. It's a decent matchup, at least for the abzan version, because they don't have interaction. I bring in orzhov pontiff and maybe eidolon of rhetoric but I actually don't bring paths in at all. They go too wide and path doesn't keep them off fast companies. It really comes down to keeping hands that can combo or find combo.

Yeah the Elves match felt like a straight race. Seems like it's pretty difficult to go over the combo except with something like Eldrazi Tron, and the deck is very well suited to play a grindy game. Thinking about moving some of the interaction (silver bullets) to the side & pushing for a Knight of the Reliquary/Tireless Tracker split main. Against other combo or wide aggro the Druid combo is plan A & attempting to hedge those matches preboard feels wasteful. Knight might be able to stand up to Goyf or Gurmangler if I end up in a grindy game & Tireless Tracker is brilliant in those scenarios. Anyway, thanks for the words of wisdom and I'll provide updates as I play a wider field.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Other company players: I've seen Dusk//Dawn suggested for the sideboard, has anyone tried it? Seems like a huge slam dunk against something like jund shadow or eldrazi decks. Don't know if it's just being cute or not though and I'm low on testing time.

Interesting! It's good chaff for Thoughtseize/TKS and may let you hold on to a CoCo. Also an amazing top-deck that could turn around the game.

myDad fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 3, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Voice of Resurgence sac to Evolution for Renegade Rallier sounds dirty

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Also nulls Ad Nauseam and weakens control. Sort of a tangent, but I often change my deck & sideboard to tailor to whatever the people at the shop are playing and I wonder what pro players do to get a better feel for a tournament meta. Is it just grinding out tournaments and playing online?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
The Abzan version sounds like it has some more complex lines, gonna try it tomorrow though I'm missing a few cards (Horizon Canopy, Noble Hierarch).

e: @DangerDongs Duskwatch Recruiter has been huge in testing, it'd be even better if it didn't flip. Also had a singleton Tracker that I liked a lot; both have incredible, virtual card advantage

e2: roughed something out where the backup plan is a soft lock via Glen Elendra Archmage & Vizier alongside Eidolon of Rhetoric

myDad fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 5, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Bonfire wins games, there's a couple people at the shop with Ponza & I think Bonfire is too good to ignore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
It was a pretty bad joke lol