Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Soldier Stompy will run you $600-700 depending on whether or not you want to run Karakas, but the best I can say about it is that it's a bad deck that can steal games from other gimmicky decks. I am building it anyway so I can at least play Legacy when I find other people playing it, ideally I turn it in D&T somewhere down the line even though those decks don't really overlap outside of Thalia & Karakas.

I thought Nic Fit was usually GWB? At least when I played against it in a Thunderdome it was Junk colors. Would be curious to see some lists if people are running it.

Also I like Modern but I especially like dumb gimmicky bullshit in Modern (see: running Mill since 2014). Sue me :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

^^ "Nic Fit" is just a catchall for the GBx builds - they're anywhere from 3-5 colors, have a bit of a ramp strategy, and win via creatures. It was just a joke name from the Source forums where someone said they had a deck that they thought would be "a nic fit for the current meta". The misspelling stuck.

Honestly if I was going to do a NicFit deck it would be a maverick or abzan in general version - turn 2 siege rhino, and you get to play the GB commander that has experience counters for good value. Jund in general (both "real" jund and nicfit) are a bit of a dog in the current meta, but that doesn't matter too much if your local isn't full of Miracles and Delver.

Lists similar to this : http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-nic-fit-25716#paper

There's a lot of room to budget off that deck, especially if you have fetches or any of the duals.

Yeah part of my interest in Nic Fit is that I'm already working on Modern Junk, so I have most of the Modern-legal cards in that list and a couple other things like Marsh Flats I could use until I can get the priciest cards.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

known bad deck blue tron

I might actually sell off my U Tron deck :( It's fun and all but my store only does Modern once a month and I'm having a lot of fun and success with Mill. I also have more decks than I could realistically play on a regular basis so I should really make some cuts if I'm going to build anything else (that's also why I'm trying to build a similar archetype for both Modern and Legacy).

I know we discussed modern junk lists in the last thread, so I'll throw in my 2 cent and say I really enjoy playing dark maverick in legacy. Similar to junk in that it's a good stuffs deck but leaning more towards hatebears and extremely flexible lists. I only run 4 duals (bayou, scrub land, 2 savannah). No rhinos but you get stoneforge package and thalia, plus all star knight of the Reliquary. Lots of flex spots to play with.

Word, I'll check it out. There's gotta be a site or app or whatever out there where you can plug in multiple decklists and see what cards they have in common, right?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 2, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

One week to EMA as of today :3:

Just learned my store is doing $35 24-player drafts for the first month it's out, with 8 EMA packs going to the winner of each 8-player pod (4 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd/4th). Super tempted to sign up for one at those odds even though I'm not a great Limited player.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Backno posted:

HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo!!!!!!!!!!

Clay is a kid at my local shop here in Indy. Kid wins the Classic in Indy and now this. So freaking proud of him. In November he had to get a kidney removed where cancer was found in it. Months of chemo later here we are.

https://goo.gl/photos/E2pciWPpnQRDc7Lj6

After his first round of treatment the shop pooled together and built Modern Affinity for him as a get well soon gift.

Edit: His treatment was more preemptive since the form of cancer was so aggressive. He is cancer free as of a month ago.

Nice! Which event was this, and what was he piloting?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

Sower of Temptation.
Blood Moon
Murderous Redcap
Birthing Pod
Acidic Slime

What the hell kind of Legacy deck is running all of these together? Wanna meet that deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh OUT of a Blood Moon lock :downs: I didn't realize Pod saw Legacy play, that's neat.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AgentSythe posted:

Let's talk about the objectively best eternal format, which is Pauper

What is everyone doing in pauper? I'm not particularly revolutionary and have been trying out elvish vanguard, shaving a few visionaries and sometimes a priest of titania. It has been Pretty Good but just making a big idiot isn't that interesting.

i've also tried making UG Canadian Threshold work, and as sweet of a card as Temporal Spring is, it is not going well

I'm not doing poo poo in Pauper but I really should because my store does a Pauper FNM once a month and it's a fuckload cheaper to get into than everything else. I'm halfway to an Izzet Blitz deck except people are telling me it's bad? I also have a bunch of Pauper-eligible Goblins and could maybe come up with a list that uses them but I've been too lazy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Once again it was Mill'er Time at Modern FNM. Small crowd of six tonight, so three rounds with cut to top 2-
Deck: Esper Mill

//Lands
3 Darkslick Shores
2 Flooded Strand
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Godless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
2 Marsh Flats
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Plains
3 Polluted Delta
2 Shelldock Isle
1 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Archive Trap
3 Breaking // Entering
2 Crypt Incursion
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
2 Mesmeric Orb
3 Mind Funeral
3 Path to Exile
4 Surgical Extraction
4 Thought Scour
4 Visions of Beyond

//Creatures
4 Hedron Crab
1 Snapcaster Mage

//Sideboard
1 Crypt Incursion
2 Disenchant
1 Echoing Truth
2 Engineered Explosives
3 Hide // Seek
2 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Pithing Needle
2 Stony Silence

Display deck statistics
I was supposed to have a second Snapcaster but it didn't arrive in time (would replace a Thought Scour)

Round 1: UR Pyro-Delver. Game 1 we both start fast but he's slightly faster, hitting me for lethal combat with no burn in hand and no cards in his library. Game 2 I'm way slower and while I can stall with Engineered Explosives, he lands a Sword of Feast and Famine(!) that outraces me. 0-1 (0-2)

Round 2: GW Midrange/Beats. Kind of budget but not terribe; Smiter, Serra Avenger, Wilt-Leaf Liege, Advent of the Wurm(!), Warden of the First Tree(!!) etc. Game 1 I'm able to outrace a pair of Strangleroot Geists, Game 2 he gets Warden/Smiter/Fleecemane Lion but I get a Crypt Incursion late which gives me enough time to win. Mesmeric Orb did work in this matchup. 1-1 (2-2)

Round 3: Bring to Light Scapeshift. Game 1 he scoops to a turn 3 double Archive Trap -> Surgical on Scapeshift, but doesn't scoop to one on turn 4 in Game 2 as he's boarded in a playset of Obstinate Baloth. Luckily I draw enough Paths to live and finish him with double Mind Funeral (aided by the land searches off Path). He seems a little salty but talks shop with me afterwords and suggests Murderous Cut in the SB as Incursion/Surgical-friendly removal. 2-1 (4-2)

Fate smiles upon me and decides I make the top two cut. Fate then take a dump on my chest by pairing me against...

Final round- Affinity. Game 1 he has a near-perfect draw. Game 2 he hits for seven poison with a Cranial Plating'd Inkmoth, then in the next turn or two I go Hurkyl's (killing a Glimmervoid) -> Surgical (on Cranial Plating) -> Ghost Quarter on Inkmoth -> Stony Silence -> Crypt Incursion for 30+ life. Game 3 I go for broke and spend some life to keep the pressure on him, which comes back to bite me when some good combat math lets him take me down from 11 life in one swing. You play to win the game I guess! Also gently caress Cranial Plating. 2-2 (5-4)

Ended up turning $10 into $25, and turning that into a pair of Heaths and a Qasali Pridemage for my Junk project. More importantly my prize payout streak with Mill is still intact :toot:

Does anyone want to make a case for keeping Thought Scour? I boarded them out in every match, and one of them is about to become a Snapcaster anyway. I'm also considering putting the third Crypt Incursion back in the MB since my meta seems more geared towards creature-focused decks (the one guy I didn't play all night was on BW Eldrazi Taxes), and once I'm at two Scours I might as well put something else there. But the deck is also sorely lacking in turn 1 plays for how fast it wants to go, and Thought Scouring someone right after they Scry is still really funny. However, I don't know if it's better than a pick two of Snap/Breaking/Orb/Incursion/Ghost Quarter.

Also, any sideboard ideas in general? A lot of my SB is applicable to the Affinity matchup but overlaps with other stuff. In particular I wasn't sure what to board in against the Pyro-Delver deck; I ended up going with Explosives, Echoing Truth and the extra Incursion which didn't quite get there. Maybe Night of Soul's Betrayal? Gets all of Delver's creatures while keeping my Crabs alive and is good against the fast+wide strategies that really hurt my deck, though turn 4 seems a little slow. And maybe there's more overlap with Engineered Explosives there than is healthy. Also I'm still super-weak to planeswalkers, which hasn't really come back to bite me but I feel like it's only a matter of time.

Maybe something like
Mainboard: -4 Thought Scour, +1 each Snap, Breaking//Entering, Crypt Incursion, Ghost Quarter
Sideboard: -1 Crypt Incursion, -1 Echoing Truth, +2 Night of Soul's Betrayal
?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 16, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hey nerds I'm getting kind of close to finishing my Junk list, any suggestions as I start to pick up the pricier pieces (need two Voices, three Finks, and the Pulses)?

Deck: Junk Beatdown

//Lands
2 Forest
2 Gavony Township
2 Godless Shrine
3 Marsh Flats
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Plains
1 Stirring Wildwood
2 Swamp
2 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Lingering Souls
2 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Painful Truths
4 Path to Exile
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

//Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Kitchen Finks
2 Qasali Pridemage
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Siege Rhino
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
4 Voice of Resurgence

//Sideboard
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Dismember
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Spellskite
2 Stony Silence
3 Thoughtseize
2 Zealous Persecution

Display deck statistics

Yes I know Hierarchs would be better than Birds, but the Birds work for now and I'll work on getting the Hierarchs someday.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

He can't play RiP because he's running Lingering Souls, voices, and kitchen finks.

Also I think I may have been the one to originally suggest the Thrun because I ran one maindeck at GP Charlotte in anticipation of jeskai Nahiri decks and it was fantastic all weekend. Wilt-Leaf would be better if you're expecting more creature based matchups.

You were, but if my last FNM was any indication my local meta skews pretty creature-heavy so I might have to track down a couple Wilt-Leafs to use. Thanks MM15 for making them so cheap!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

always be closing posted:

Any thoughts on this hoogland spirits brew? Looks pretty cool.

With both a flying anthem and some Spirit tribal themes in there, I would have included Lingering Souls and dropped a UW dual for a BW dual or something.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

always be closing posted:

I think he's looking for value tacked onto the bodies, and the ability to be vialed in.

That's true, but as a poor without Vials if I were building the deck I would drop the Vials for Souls. Most of the creatures you'd want to Vial in have flash anyway so you wouldn't lose that angle completely.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 28, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

As long as you're all in on spirits, isn't Long-Forgotten Gohei something to strongly consider vs. Favourable Winds?

What about that W/U spell land that exiles creatures to make spirits? Mutavault really doesn't seem that great in a deck with only 4 lords and those lords can't even grant evasion.

Which I guess brings me to the other point; what ultimately makes this worth playing over Merfolk? You trade more power for evasion and some protection, but there doesn't seem to be a way to provide overwhelming board presence and your only source of card advantage is Spell Queller, is it not? Is the deck basically drop Captain then Image, or bust?

That's why I was suggesting Lingering Souls- I can see it getting out of hand with Captain, Winds, and Spellstutter/Queller as protection. Not as fast as Merfolk, but has more tricks (though maybe Merfolk doesn't need them).

More generally, I kinda like this idea of a mixed tribal deck like this. I don't think there's enough cards to make a Spirit tribal deck good enough, and Faeries hasn't really been around for a while, but maybe cherry-picking cards from each is worth something.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally finished my lovely Modern Turbofog deck, excited to (hopefully) troll my aggro-heavy meta with it next week :toot:

Deck: Modern UW Turbofog

//Lands
4 Flooded Strand
2 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Island
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
7 Plains
1 Shelldock Isle

//Spells
2 Angelsong
4 Dawn Charm
4 Dictate of Kruphix
1 Elixir of Immortality
4 Ethereal Haze
4 Holy Day
4 Howling Mine
2 Pollen Lullaby
2 Riot Control
4 Sphinx's Tutelage
2 Supreme Verdict
4 Temple Bell

//Sideboard
4 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Negate
4 Oblivion Ring
2 Pithing Needle
2 Rest in Peace

Display deck statistics

Anything I might have missed or matchups I haven't accounted for?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

kizudarake posted:

Isochron scepter to put fogs on

Had a pair for a while but never felt like I needed them, as I always had fogs in hand. If I did want to include them though I'd probably drop the Lullabies.

standard.deviant posted:

It feels like you're pretty much Leyline-or-bust against Burn and Ad Nauseam.

They're not great matchups but you have Elixir and Riot Control to gain life (Riot Control also prevents all damage to you, not just combat), and Dawn Charm can counter spells that target me. And FWIW I've never seen Ad Nauseum at my store and very little Burn; pretty much everyone who shows up there wins using the combat step except for one Scapeshift guy and me when I'm playing Mill. That was part of my motivation to build the deck in the first place TBH :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bonus posted:

What do y'all think about this deck? Todd Stevens (a streamer and scg grinder) played this version to good success on MODO. My version has a different sideboard and a few minor tweaks (maindeck relic over 3rd spellskite, uhh, that's about it). Anyway, this deck is pretty cheap to build and actually really really powerful. It's sort of like tron in that it goes over the top of decks like jund and control, but it isn't as weak to burn and affinity because of the chalices and infect is a great matchup.

You can reliably cast thought-knots and reality smashers on turn 3, but the deck doesn't fold to one crumble to dust.

So just pre-ban Eldrazi minus Eye? :v: It's probably still a good deck if somewhat uninspired. And it would give me an excuse to use these Chalices of the Void that aren't seeing frequent use elsewhere!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

When WoTC creates a new format and destroys modern in a few years it'll be cool to watch the value of all our decks plummet

:homebrew:

Whats your Eldrazi Bears list?

If anything they will kill Legacy and try to get more people invested in Modern (which would be sad because Legacy seems super cool)

Um Modern decks, let's see
Esper Mill
Goblins 8 Whack (before it was cool)
Blue Tron
UW Turbofog
GWb Beats (WIP, still need maybe a dozen cards)

Also picking up sub-$1 cards for BW Tokens, Esper Rally, Aggro Loam, Slivers, maybe some others but it's doubtful I'll ever build all of them (if any). Honestly I have half a mind to decommission Whack and Tron, I don't play them nearly as often as I should.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Someone talk to me about why I should or shouldn't take UW Turbofog to Modern FNM tomorrow instead of my usual Mill list.

Pros: Creature combat-heavy meta, no one knows I have it built.

Cons: Screwed if I'm wrong about said meta, currently on a hot streak with Mill (which might be a predictor of Turbofog's success TBH)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

1) Modern sucks

False.

Skyl3lazer posted:

2) The deck is bad

OK I'll give you this one. Will still likely run it anyway, if only because I want to finally take a match from our local Affinity guy.

Voyager I posted:

I played a homebrewed UW Spirits list at Modern last night and ended up going 2-1, taking down 2-0s against Jund and Abzan Company while getting hosed by Bushwhacker Zoo. It basically feels like a worse version of UR Delver or Faeries that trades speed and consistently good cards for tricky interactions.

If I put more money into the list the first things I'd add would be Celestial Colonnade and Cavern of Souls, but so far the surprise standout was Moorland Haunt. Turns out being able to turn used cards into 1/1 flying tokens for 3 mana is a pretty loving big deal in a topdeck war.

I know it's not as good in this type but every time someone posts a Modern Spirits list my first question is always "why not run Lingering Souls?"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Turbofog FNM trip report: :itwaspoo:

Picked up a couple pieces for Junk so it wasn't a total loss, but it was just a slower and more vulnerable Mill. Oh well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't have a stock Legacy Infect list memorized but I feel like it has to be fairly similar to Modern Infect, so if you have the Modern version built the legwork to get the Legacy components isn't too crazy. Maybe just Trops, FoW, Berserk, Invigorate? Does Legacy Infect still run Blazing Shoal with Progenitus or is that too cute?

D&T does seem sweet though, that's a deck I want to build someday but that mana base :shepface:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Berserk just tanked to under 30 bucks.

Also this.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

So after having finally putting a couple legacy decks together: legacy is the bomb. Holy moly fun

I wish Legacy was played around here so I could justify buying into it :( The one store that does it weekly is a pain in the rear end to get to and also does it on my favorite gym night. For now I'm just paying down all the debt I can so that when I get to a place with a Legacy scene I can justify duals and the like, heh.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Boco_T posted:

now THIS is a fucken deck

EDIT: none of the rest of the decks in the top 64 at all 3 of the GPs were anything I hadn't seen before, except this one

:laffo: Prismatic Omen + Valakut at a GP, that's good poo poo. Someone somewhere has tried that in EDH, right?

Not sure if I agree with Boom//Bust, unless the whole point is to use it only when you have Flagstones in play. Manamorphose also seems a little weak, other than for digging for cards you actually want.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 29, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

Boom is a 2-mana Stone Rain if you have a fetchland out, even if you ignore the flagstones value.

Oh I thought there were sac effects on both sides. That's neat.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Got the last cards for my Modern Junk list today, hopefully testing it out at FNM this week :woop:

Deck: Junk Beatdown

//Lands
2 Forest
2 Gavony Township
2 Godless Shrine
1 Hissing Quagmire
3 Marsh Flats
4 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
1 Shambling Vent
1 Stirring Wildwood
1 Swamp
2 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Lingering Souls
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Painful Truths
4 Path to Exile
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

//Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Qasali Pridemage
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Siege Rhino
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
4 Voice of Resurgence

//Sideboard
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Dismember
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Painful Truths
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Spellskite
2 Stony Silence
3 Thoughtseize
1 Zealous Persecution

Display deck statistics

Manabase is admittedly a little weird because it's a combination of stuff I already have and me not knowing which manland(s) are best, but other than that I'm pretty happy. SB is pretty general because I don't have a consistent picture of the local meta yet, and I kind of want to put the Thoughtseizes MB but it's supposed to be a more creature-focused build so I dunno. Maybe once (if?) I pick up the Goyfs and LotVs to make actual Junk.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

One suggestion I'll make is that once you learn your local meta, if it's got lots of breach decks or nahiri decks, basically anything that runs anger and bolt as removal, try Loxodon Smiter in place of kitchen finks.

Hope you don't have a lot of tron. I'll tell you a fun card I've discovered for the tron matchup since we last discussed the deck: Obzedat, Ghost Council. They're required to have an O Stone to deal with it, just keep your paths for ulamog and Wurmcoil engine. No one expects it and it's been kinda great lately.

Also try a westvale abbey sometime! Dunno if I mentioned that last time but that card is fun and synergistic with your death triggers and token producing cards.

Smiter was on my shortlist of "cheap cards to pick up and play around with" along with Wilt-Leaf Liege. There's a decent amount of U Tron locally but I don't think I've seen RG Tron yet, I used to have a Obz lying around somewhere but at least it's cheap. Westvale Abbey will come in once I figure out how I want the manabase to look, for examplee the four Overgrow Tombs aren't optimal but I had them before beginning the deck (same with the Marsh Flats with no Catacombs) so I rolled with those.

E: Notable decks I have seen/gone up against locally-
UR Pyro Delver
GW Midrange
BW Eldrazi Taxes
Affinity
BTL Scapeshift
U Tron (multiple)
G Stompy
UWR Control
UWR Kiki-Resto
Living End
Goblins
RG Zoo-ish
RUG Midrange?

The crowd varies pretty heavily between each FNM, the only person I remember going up against more than once in the last few months is the guy on Affinity.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 1, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

I feel like with no 1 mana discard main and no lilis you're going to get torn apart by fast combo.

That's why I want the Thoughtseizes MB, that and a severe lack of T1 plays (but maybe the deck doesn't need to always hit something T1). But like I said, from what I've experienced the meta is fairly "swing with dudes" heavy so I'll have to see how often I SB in discard. Inquisition would probably be good in that spot too but I dumped mine, maybe I'll pick them up again if they get cheap enough.

Voyager I posted:

Have you thought about Abzan Charm over Painful Truths as a singleton? It doesn't draw as well, but it's an instant that also bring a lot of versatility. It can be removal when you need it to for some problematic creatures and you'll probably even get fringe value out of the Zoidberg mode by resetting a Finks or something.

No but I've seen a couple decks run them, I'll check it out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

Also Noble is just strictly better than Birds in this kind of deck.

I know, but one is $7 and the other is ~$50 :( Those are also on the list of eventual splurges.

Is Dromoka's Command worthwhile in Modern? I have a copy of that lying around and am tempted to throw it in the SB since every mode is useful here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

They're not even the same thing, other than costing 2. Abrupt Decay is generally better if you're looking at removal, yeah, but d-command has some hypothetical uses. Maindeck anger of the gods is somewhat expected these days, plus it can reset a kitchen finks. If the deck is creature dense it's probably good enough as a removal spell against certain decks like affinity. If your deck only uses black as a small splash then d-command might be better to have if you're worried about blood moon. All depends on what he expects to see locally.

Normally I agree about decay but just saying something is better when they're two very different cards without any discussion isn't super helpful. That said, if you're just lookin for removal and mana isn't a problem, decay is the safest answer.

Anger insurance + Finks renewal is mainly what I had in mind, yeah. Again though, I'm not sure what to expect so I'm going kind of general for the time being to feel things out (I also put the Thoughtseizes MB and moved a Finks, Ooze, and Path to the SB)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Woof, 0-2 drop at Modern FNM with only one game won between them. Round 1 was Jund where I took game 1, but games 2 & 3 the guy knew what he was doing better than I did. Round 2 was against Modern Pox which felt unwinnable; game 1 he emptied my hand early on with The Rack and Shrieking Affliction in play, game 2 he hit a T3 Ensnaring Bridge and I never drew the Abrupt Decay I needed (I also boarded out my Thoughtseizes like a dummy after being blindsided by the 6 life/turn drain game 1). Inquisitions would have been nice to have there, likewise with Smiters and Wilt-Leaf Lieges. Growing pains I guess, just gotta get in the reps and figure out what I'm actually doing.

Jund player stuck T2 Grim Flayer games 2 & 3, and in talking to him after our match he said it was his favorite card in the whole deck. To quote, "I wouldn't be playing Jund if I couldn't run it". He had Baubles in the deck but said they weren't necessary. Anyone else tried running Flayers in BGx, and what do you think?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 3, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
X-post from the main thread: Zendikar Expeditions concept becoming re-occurring feature in future blocks, re-named "Masterpieces" and themed specifically for that block. In case your decks weren't blinged out enough.

Kaladesh Inventions spoiler, note that Aether Revolt will have its own set similar to BFZ/OGW so don't panic that only 3/5 Swords are here.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 13, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

How many Rhinos in Junk? I'm running 23 land + 3 Hierarchs. I've got 3 in the list right now.

I have 4 but that's partially due to not having the more expensive creature options. FWIW on my bad Junk outing a couple weeks ago my only win was from slamming back-to-back Rhinos against Jund.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Um, so it's just the Gifts combo with Brain in a Jar letting you cast stuff for cheaper (and uncounterable outside of cards like Squelch)?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 21, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

paying 1 mana and tapping an artifact to put 4 1/1 fliers into play and drawing four cards seems like, if i may borrow a phrase, gas

e: also lets you cast sorceries at instant speed, which is particularly interesting with supreme verdict and opponent man-lands

Don't get me wrong, I was just making sure it still wins the way Gifts decks usually do. Looks like fun.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think there are Pod-like decks in Modern running Collected Company, if you want another alternative and liked Pod. I don't know how similar they are to the old Pod lists though.

Dredge is strong but be prepared to see quite a bit of hate, even maindeck (some Jund/Junk decks have taken to running stuff like Nihil Spellbomb maindeck to also help their Grim Flayers, for example). If you're familiar with the deck though, you might be able to play around the hate. When in doubt, go with the deck with which you feel most comfortable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Just realized I'm ~$30 worth of cards away from a baseline BW Tokens build (no Bitterblossom, Auriok Champion, or Gideon). Worth filling out just to have in my back pocket, or is it not even tier 2 anymore?

E: And if you're playing it, feel free to post a list so I can see if I actually am that close.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 9, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Boco_T posted:

I think it's the deck I've played the most in organized Modern and it's always been competitive. I'd guess my record is over 50/50 with it. Looking at the top decks on Goldfish, I'd guess the match-ups it has are:
Affinity - medium to good
Burn - medium
Infect - medium to good
Eldrazi - no idea, probably bad
Jund - good
Abzan - medium to bad?
Dredge - probably bad
Scapeshift - medium to bad

I mean the main thing is that it is never abysmal in almost any match, except Tron.

I also have never run Bitterblossom or Auriok Champion in any of my builds, and I haven't really got out to any events since I would have theoretically added Gideon because I was on Elves more recently.

EDIT: This looks like the last time I edited it to print a decklist, I bet you even have this copied from me on Deckbox, says I lasted updated in January 2016.

I have even more of this list :lol: And I do copy a ton of decks from goons, but I never copied this one. Thanks, maybe I'll give it a shot in the near future.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So I've gone 0-2 drop in my last three Modern FNMs, all with different decks including a shameful outing with my favorite Mill deck tonight :negative: Time to move away from the gimmicky crap for a little while, methinks. Been working on a few different decks on the side and am mostly done with them, what do you think I should focus on finishing for the next FNM? General suggestions also welcome-

BW Tokens

Budget-y Junk

RG Titan Breach

FWIW I'm closest to finishing Tokens and the furthest from Breach. Meta is pretty varied but has been leaning aggro as of late (saw multiple Infect and Eldrazi Taxes decks tonight, and a Merfolk guy at the top table) but there's always a couple guys on some UW/UWR Control deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Going back to BW Tokens for just a moment, somebody please talk me out of building this version instead.