Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

And it's not even running Power! Owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Opposition. So much tilt, so much fun. Practicing for Baltimore. Have gone 4-0 and 2-2 locally in paper. I think 4-0 had a lot to do with being paired against Infect twice, though...

Is this the same as that 80-card elf deck you were talking about earlier? If not :justpost: a list, I'm curious.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ville Valo posted:

Oh, that Soldiers deck didn't make it? :(

Was this the Stompy version that pops up a couple times a year? Have most of it built but got lazy about finishing it since there's no Legacy around here (and also $60 Cavern of Souls :negative:)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

The one that proves that the other 67 cards don't matter if 8 of your cards are Ancient Tomb Chalice of the Void?

That's why I haven't taken it apart yet, lol

I'd just use them to build Eldrazi if I could get City of Traitors for less than a Benjamin per copy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

p much. Fortunately(?) there's only one weekly Legacy event around here and it's at the same time as my favorite gym class, so there's no point in me trying to build anything right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Taking Titan Breach to Modern FNM tomorrow but I'm one card short in the SB. Should I run a singleton Fulminator Mage or get cute with a singleton Sowing Salt (no Crumble to Dust sadly)?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 4, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

OTOH you can go T1 Dork into T2 Fulminator and cut Tron on T2, meaning you can keep them off T3 Tron even on the draw.

Also a lot of the midrangier decks just eat poo poo to T2 LD.

No dorks in my list unfortunately, but I have a lot of T2 ramp so a T3 Sowing Salt is fairly do-able. I haven't seen Tron in a while either, but there are other Valakut decks and a few flavors of midrange. Plus a couple decks with Inkmoth Nexus, which I hate.

I have a pair of SB Fulminators in my Junk list but I'm not sure how good they'll be with Noble Hierarch as my only dork (currently running Birds of Paradise as a stand-in)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Death of Rats posted:

mono-green stompy (best tier-2 deck in Modern?)

It's surprisingly good for ~$100. Had a guy run it at FNM a while back but only showed up with 59/60, so he bought a Boon Satyr out of the bulk bin and it ended up doing work.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I honestly haven't seen Elves first-hand so I can't say for certain :shrug: If I had to compare it to something I would say it plays like Infect or Bogles where it wants a quick kill, but it can survive a little longer than those two if it isn't swinging for the fences on turn 3. It's solidly tier 2 but yeah it can surprise people- I played it against Junk and my opponent went turn 3 Lili->discard, and I dropped a Wilt-Leaf Liege into play and killed the Lili on my next turn. He didn't even notice the Liege until I was swinging with it :lol:

I de-sleeved with the intent to take it apart but honestly it's so cheap I might just put it back together to have in my back pocket. You can flex it around a little bit too- Treetop Village vs. Dungrove Elder, Collected Company vs. maindeck Thrun/Wilt-Leaf etc. This is the list I was running- https://deckbox.org/sets/741804

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

After going 4-0, 4-0 , and 3-1 in my last few FNMs with the same list I have an opinion about Modern Junk:

Grim Flayer is good as a 2/2 and the 4/4 mode should be seen as a bonus, don't put bad cycling artifacts in your deck just to try and turn it on.

What counts as a "bad" cycling artifact in your point of view? Been running a single Nihil Spellbomb but debating whether or not it should be an EE instead.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

I'm really looking forward to running this list on Friday. I'm sure I'll stumble on mana or draw nothing but ramp spells, but that's what happens when you play these decks. I'm just giddy to use my japanese breaches.

Deck: Breach Shift

Not sure if I agree with going halfsies on the Scapeshift kill and the Emrakul kill, I'd pick one or the other if possible. However, Urbrask is extremely spicy and I' stealing that idea if I can't find a third Emrakul for my own list by next FNM.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Do you run any SB enchantment hate at all? I had Revelries as well as I worry about stuff like Blood Moon and Leyline of Sanctity when I can't just stick an Emrakul to run them over. Might make one or two of them into Ancient Grudges though as stuff like Ensnaring Bridge and Grafdigger's Cage are just as bad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Need someone to talk me out of trying this deck out, deep down I know it's just a worse BW Tokens but it's hilarious when it works and I have everything besides the PWs anyway-

Deck: Polymorph Tokens

//Lands
1 Caves of Koilos
2 Concealed Courtyard
4 Flooded Strand
2 Godless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
1 Isolated Chapel
3 Marsh Flats
4 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Vault of the Archangel

//Spells
1 Anguished Unmaking
3 Collective Brutality
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Intangible Virtue
1 Liliana of the Veil
4 Lingering Souls
3 Path to Exile
4 Polymorph
4 Raise the Alarm
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Spectral Procession
3 Thoughtseize
3 Timely Reinforcements

//Creatures
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

//Sideboard
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Deathmark
1 Kataki, War's Wage
3 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Pithing Needle
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
2 Sundering Growth
1 Wrath of God
1 Zealous Persecution

Display deck statistics

The non-LOTV PWs should probably all be Lilis but I'm cheap. Also don't know if I like Procession in a two-color deck with a splash.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 21, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Getting wrathed with Emrakul in play isn't something I'm super-worried about, since I not only get her back in the deck (barring exile effects) but also all of my token generators.

You're probably right on Reinforcements but the quality of token generators drops when you go past the ones I'm already running. I've also looked at creatures like Cryptbreaker that let you pitch to make tokens in case I draw Emrakul :shrug: Should probably just run more Processions and cut Island/Vault for white mana, but I did have a game where I was stuck on three mana with Polymorph in hand and tokens in play, and my opponent Path'd a token which let me grab my Island, untap and combo off.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think most decks running Angler are three-color decks in Modern, so maybe the extra black is an issue.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I've found my niche, and it's bad sultai piles.

edit2: holy gently caress is this list fun to pilot.

Shocklands in Legacy :lol: Owns

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

snuff out in response, problem solved >.<

"Nonblack creature" :eng101:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Someone talk me out of picking up the dozen or so bulk commons/uncommons I need to finish this dumb Rally deck-
Deck: BW Rally

//Lands
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Caves of Koilos
2 Concealed Courtyard
2 Godless Shrine
3 Marsh Flats
2 Plains
5 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Vault of the Archangel

//Spells
1 Liliana of the Veil
3 Path to Exile
4 Rally the Ancestors
4 Return to the Ranks

//Creatures
4 Blood Artist
4 Bloodthrone Vampire
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Geralf's Messenger
3 Pawn of Ulamog
4 Viscera Seer
4 Zulaport Cutthroat

//Sideboard
2 Disenchant
2 Dismember
2 Leyline of the Void
1 Path to Exile
2 Stony Silence
3 Thoughtseize
3 Vampire Nighthawk

Display deck statistics

Shamelessly cribbed (and slightly modifed) from SaffronOlive's Budget Modern collection on mtggoldfish. Which has some pretty sweet decks, I really want to try that Enchantress list even if it's just the budget version with Gardens and Heaths.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 3, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

We're in the heart of the Dredge meta and literally everyone is packing a plan to either completely hose out graveyard decks postboard or is just trying to win the game in three turns against decks with limited interaction, and the hallmark deck for that strategy doesn't care about you gaining life. It is not a great time to be playing a deck that wants to durdle around and try to get value out of the graveyard.

I'm also not sold on going straight BW. Dropping green cuts you out of some really powerful stuff like Company and combo finishes with Persist (and access to Melira, who is a loving great card right now).

Yeah the ubiquity of Dredge (and thus GY hate) is keeping me from finishing it up. I just have all of the expensive parts already so I thought it might be fun, maybe another day.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Welcome to tier 0!

For the record, I took the Emrakul out for the Vendilion Clique that was in the board and replaced it with a Disrupt because man, Emrakul was not good. I think I was like, 5 mana away from casting it at one point and that was the closest I ever got.

This is a very silly deck and I like it. I assume Standstill + PWs isn't a new innovation?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Probably not. I just had a bad idea for a bad deck and ran with it.

Hey man, dumb pet decks are like half the appeal of this game. No hate here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

Here's a little thought exercise. We're in my end step. My opponent has a Thespian's Stage, two Lotus Petals, a Snow Covered Forest. I have 3 Islands. My hand is Split Decision, Cunning Wish, Omniscience, Fact or Fiction, Emrakul. My opponent casts Crop Rotation, sacrificing his Forest. How do you not lose?

Here is my decklist. Relevant information: I sideboarded out 3 Spell Pierce for the Young Pyromancers in this game.

I think you Wish for one of the Spell Pierces to prevent them comboing off on your end step but I keep coming up one mana short when trying to sequence it. Does it involve using Split Decision to copy the Crop Rotation and get an extra mana source?

Also you forgot the decklist!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 4, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

I apologize for forgetting to paste the decklist. I've corrected the post.

Thanks, I figured it had something to do with copying Rotation but I didn't realize you had Tombs available.

Wish I had the chance to play Legacy around here (and the money to build a Legacy deck)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Come visit Pittsburgh on a Friday. There's a slightly better than 50% chance it'll fire, I have a spare deck, and a few of the cards are even in English.

Split the cost of gas and explain to my wife why I need to drive ten hours round-trip to play Magic and you got a deal :v:

I've been on a crazy deck idea bender lately and came across a Modern Enchantress list that I reeeeally wish I had the time to try out-

Deck: Modern Enchantress

//Lands
5 Forest
2 Horizon Canopy
1 Marsh Flats
3 Plains
4 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
1 Blind Obedience
4 Ghostly Prison
2 Greater Auramancy
3 Idyllic Tutor
2 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Luminarch Ascension
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Phyrexian Unlife
1 Sigil of the Empty Throne
2 Sphere of Safety
1 Starfield of Nyx
1 Story Circle
4 Utopia Sprawl

//Creatures
4 Arbor Elf
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Eidolon of Blossoms
1 Nyx-Fleece Ram

//Sideboard
2 Leyline of Sanctity
2 Nevermore
2 Nyx-Fleece Ram
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Open the Vaults
1 Rule of Law
2 Runed Halo
1 Sphere of Safety
1 Story Circle
2 Wheel of Sun and Moon

Display deck statistics

I hosed around with it for a bit on xMage and it is hilarious, though I wish it had more than three cards that can actually win you the game. I'm kind of tempted to drop the Unlife+Canopies for an Emrakul and a couple Nykthos as pseudo-Serra's Sanctums :getin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I...don't know, actually.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I always played Nykthos in that UW prison deck that is sort of like enchantress. At least, it protects itself in the same way. in that deck it was for fueling huge Sphinx's Revs and then untapping and playing it all. Could perform a similar function here if you're really going off with eidolon

Oh yeah, I wrote that deck down a while back. Did you stop running it?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 7, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah whoops. It combos with Eidolon of Blossoms though! :haw:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Maybe I should pick up my fourth CoBru...

Is it mostly there as a budget choice, or is Duress strong enough for Legacy play? I imagine that here it's enough that it can hit a lot of GY hate turn 1 on the play.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

Maindeck Duress can definitely backfire, but in terms of ability to do its job it's absolutely up to snuff; against Miraces or something it's basically Thoughtsieze. It's not really trying to be the same card as Collective Brutality. T1 Discard can pull apart someone's hand before they even get to start playing the game. Brutality gives that up for being flexible enough to serve as something besides just hand disruption.

Oh no I wasn't trying to make a CoBru vs. Duress argument, I'm just trying to think what I would cut for a couple of Lilis.

E: CoBru is sweet and it's cool to see it in Legacy.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 10, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Stronghold gambit is some neat sideboard tech.

I don't have a lot of Legacy experience under my belt, but I'm guessing you bring this in for matchups where your opponent isn't going to have creatures in hand so you win by default, right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

We just need a goon xmage presence, the newer patch of it makes it actually really good.

:agreed: I've been loving around with it a bunch for the last month while I've been too busy to play in person, it's fun.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally made it to a Modern FNM and went 2-0-1 split for my troubles :toot: Running RG Titan Breach, first time taking it out (note: one Emrakul was an Urabrask for this FNM)-
Deck: Titan Breach

//Lands
2 Cinder Glade
2 Forest
6 Mountain
4 Stomping Ground
4 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
3 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
1 Anger of the Gods
2 Explore
3 Farseek
3 Lightning Bolt
4 Search for Tomorrow
3 Summoner's Pact
2 Summoning Trap
4 Through the Breach

//Creatures
2 Courser of Kruphix
3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Primeval Titan
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder

//Sideboard
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Back to Nature
2 Choke
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Lightning Bolt
2 Obstinate Baloth
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Unravel the Ęther

Display deck statistics

Round 1 was against UR Pyro Delver. Game 1 he taps out right as I ramp up to six and I stick a Prime Time and ride it to a win. Game 2 he counters a Prime Time and I get to Summoning Trap...and whiff. I draw nothing but lands and ramp for a while but manage to keep his board free of creatures with Valakut. I get down to 4 but get him down to 15, and Breach->Emrakul with a ton of open mana (he had one card in hand and I knew it was a Mana Leak). 1-0 (2-0)

Round 2 was against UWr Control. Game 1 I have Breach & Emrakul in hand ready to cast on turn 4 but he has all his mana open. I decide to go for it...and he doesn't counter! Drop Emrakul much to his surprise, wipe his board, and he can't recover in time before I burn the rest off; he had a Ghost Quarter and I was right at five Mountains & Valakut in play so maybe he thought I'd drop Prime Time and he'd Quarter something in response? Game 2 I don't have the ramp but he only has a Clique for a few turns of beating before I get Titan and enough lands. I have to burn through a Spellskite to get to him but I win the damage race at 1 life, having opted not to play a couple fetches from my hand earlier in the match :sweatdrop: I think I mis-played one or two land grabs in this match, not doubling or tripling up on Valakuts when I had a couple chances. Got there anyway! 2-0 (4-0)

Round 3/Finals was against Ad Nauseum and we were both 2-0 so we split. Played it out for funsies anyway. Game 1 I hit a turn 4 Emrakul, Game 2 he combos off pretty quick and has a Pact of Negation when I try to Naturalize his Phyrexian Unlife in response. Game 3 we both go pretty slow but he hits his combo sooner, I Summoning Trap -> Titan in an attempt to burn him out with Valakuts but I goof by needlessly cracking a fetch before getting a second Valakut into play, which would've given me enough to burn him out (he showed me an Angel's Grace in hand after the match so w/e). But hey, practice. 2-0-1 (5-2), I play this guy every time I'm there and we always go to three games and I always lose, no matter what the matchup is :argh:

Fun deck though, and I won $34 which let me pick up my third Emrakul and a Leyline of the Void (thanks 25% off holiday sale!). Plus there was a new player who was running Mill which automatically made him my best bud, so I helped him out with his deck for a bit.

I sided the Coursers out in all three rounds, either because it couldn't really block anything that was a threat (Rounds 1 and 2) or the incidental lifegain wasn't going to save me (Round 3). Will keep them mainboard for now but I could see one of them switching places with a SB Anger, the Delver player stuck a flipped Delver and Young Pyromancer which could've gotten ugly if I hadn't topdecked a couple Mountains to Valakut them away. I also overheard two regulars talking and apparently no one at my store plays Dredge, so the Relics might come out if that holds true.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 18, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

I replaced my Courser with Oracle of Mul Daya. It's only one green and you get extra land drops. Sure, it's only a 2/2, but most of the time, I'm just looking to plow through lands. It was pretty decent last night, but I really need more testing with it. I really like the Urabrask in my maindeck. It offers me a beater and a lot of times, clears removal from their hand and lets the Primetime's run wild.

I went 2-1 drop (losing to Monogreen Tooth and Nail) because we wanted to go to the bar and get food and beer. I beat Martyr Proc and Lantern Control.

I never drew my one Urabrask and also boarded it out every match :shobon: Breaching out an Emrakul almost feels like cheating, I would definitely run multiple if I were you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

I'm cutting my Scapeshift for a second Emrakul. Other than that, I'm fairly happy with the deck. I just need 3 more Japanese Summoner's Pacts.

I had a couple people ask me if I was running Scapeshift, and while I've not played with Scapeshift as a wincon I don't know if I like running both Scapeshift and Titan. I don't like how they both draw from the same well, needing Mountains and Valakuts in your library to work. Ironically, Emrakul is good with Scapeshift since if you can bin Emrakul you'll get back any Mountains that have been destroyed or milled!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Can anyone tell me why people are bringing in Surgical against me playing Death and Taxes? I mean besides the obvious answer that MTGO players are just really, really bad. I've had 2 people do it this week.

What are they extracting out?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Anybody have a cool Death's Shadow list for Legacy I can mess around with? I found a couple random ones online but they don't look that great.

Someone posted one a few pages back but I'm too lazy to dig it up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
First Modern FNM of the year tonight, piloted RG Titan Breach to a 2-2 finish (4-round event)-

R1: Dredge. G1 I "keep" an iffy hand when he starts playing before I declare mulligans and I'm too slow to keep up. Yes I should have said something, no I didn't actually say anything, I'm dumb. Boarded out 2 Bolts and 2 Traps for 2 Anger and 2 Relics. G2 we both have better draws but when I manage to stick a Titan he flashbacks Conflagrate to kill it and overrun me. This comes on the heels of hearing two guys talk at the last FNM about how no one at the store plays Dredge :argh: (I think this guy was new anyway). 0-1 (0-2)

R2: Mono U Turns. Time Walk effects + symmetric draw + lockdown spells (Cryptic, Early Frost, Gigadrowse etc.). He gets the lock early in both games and there's not much I can do. I manage to pitch an Emrakul during G1 which I hoped would buy me some time but he gets a Part The Waterveil off and beats me down with the animated land. Boarded out an Anger and 3 Pacts for 2 Grudge (for his Temple Bells) and 2 Choke. G2 he has the countermagic for my threats and I die again. No lie, I'm pretty salty after this one. 0-2 (0-4)

R3: UWR Control. G1 he and I go back and forth a bit until I Breach out an Emrakul, one he knew I had thanks to Courser of Kruphix. I guess he didn't have the countermagic? He scoops despite having a decent remaining life total and me with no other immediate threats. Boarded out 2 Explore for 2 Choke. G2 I hit critical Valakut mass thanks to a couple of Breached Titans. I bait him into countering the second one and get in a Sakura Tribe Elder while he's tapped out for the last Mountain I need to kill him. 1-2 (2-4)

R4: Skred Red. Match of the night and the best match I've had in a while. We both have the same starts in each game- me with T1 Search and other ramp, him with T1 Relic of Progenitus and T3 Blood Moon. G1 I'm stuck under a Blood Moon but with both my Forests in play, so I'm still able to stick Titans and ramp my buns off. However I have a terrible punt here- I cast a Titan with an Emrakul in hand but neglect not to search because I know I have a Breach on top of my deck...which I then have to shuffle away to a suspended Search on my next upkeep. I die to exact damage on 14 mana with Emrakul + land in hand :negative: Boarded out 1 Explore, 2 Trap and 1 Anger for 2 Ancient Grudge (anticipating Ensnaring Bridge), 1 Unravel, and 1 Naturalize. G2 I hit T4 Breach->Emrakul which gives no fucks about Blood Moon. G3 plays out a lot like G1 but we find out what happens to a dream deferred and I actually use all of my Titan triggers to hardcast Emrakul thanks to Blood Moon :toot: Hooray for learning from one's mistakes! I watch one guy pick up a Preordain playset because it's totally gonna get unbanned guys, and I go home and reward myself with mac & cheese. 2-2 (4-5)

Not as good as I had hoped but what bugs me more is that, outside of the punt R4G1, I'm not sure what I could have done differently R1 and 2. Both decks managed to go off faster than my deck, loathe as I am to use :byodood:MATCHUPS:byodood: as an excuse. The only thing I can think of in hindsight is that I probably didn't need to board out the Pacts R2. My fear was casting a Pact and having him tap down the relevant manner when I tried to pay the upkeep cost, but I think the timing works such that I can pay it off first. Other than that, any advice?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sigma-X posted:

I assume you're making other bad plays / keeps due to lack of familiarity but aren't recognizing them enough to make note of them.

Harsh, but it was my second time out with the deck so you're probably on to something there. I've at least stopped keeping hands that don't contain any ramp :cheeky: I was also maybe a little overconfident after going an easy 2-0-1 with it last time, it's a fun deck.
E: In R2, how hard would you have tried mulling into a Choke?

I wish there was an easier way to take notes during games, I'll always sketch down a couple quick highlights and my SBing after each match but if there was an easy way to jot down my starting hands without slowing the match down and looking like a lunatic I would. Maybe just snapping a picture of them?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 7, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sigma-X posted:

I wouldn't have mulled at all to choke. I also wouldn't run it in my sideboard. I would be bringing in extra summoning traps.

Against blue decks, especially ones running fat counterspells like cryptic, the usual goal is to turn 4 EOT breach/trap into T5 breach/trap/titan. I bring in my obstinate baloths as well in these matchups because a 4/4 on turn 3 is usually "you must counter me" which triggers traps or threatens to do a lot of damage, typically.

FWIW though I've never played against this turns deck so there may be something I'm not understanding about the matchup besides it just trying to slow the game down long enough for it to start stringing time warps together until it hits Significant Mana and actually feels like it can win the game.

You are a super consistent turn 4 deck. You need to mull any hands that don't get to turn 4 wins. You pretty much need at least one ramp spell in your opener.

I don't remember seeing any counterspells besides Cryptic TBH. The deck is more interested in tapping you down with Gigadrowse effects and just making sure you can't do anything, rather than denying the stuff you try to do. I've beaten this guy with much worse decks but I just felt kind of silly sitting there as he strung eight or nine turns together while I was tapped out.

I see your point about bringing in Baloths and getting more aggressive though, and I could be talked into more Traps in the board. The Chokes are there because I already had them; I guess we do have a few people on Merfolk at my LGS but there's other stuff I could board in for them (haven't played any of them with this deck yet). I'm just sad that my one free Trap so far with this deck was a complete whiff :negative:

Sigma-X posted:

turn 4 EOT breach

Wait...if you cast Breach on their end step, you get to keep your Breached creature until your next end step, don't you? Not sure if I've been in a position to do that yet but huge if true.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
X-post from the main thread since it got swallowed up by Standard lamentations-

Hoochie mama. RIP to the newcomer at our last Modern FNM running Dredge (the deck will probably be OK). It just sucks that they banned Troll, then unbanned it, and then had to ban it again, as I can see Wizards being really gunshy about unbanning anything ever again after they had to renege on it (regardless of the fact that they printed a couple good GY enablers after unbanning it. I doubt they noticed).

Probe is interesting, I wonder if they might throw a deck like Storm a bone now that it has one less free spell to use and can't check to make sure if it coast is clear before comboing off. I also wonder what sort of shape Infect takes now that they have to play around removal a little more.

VVV It's being used as a general expression of surprise, a la "yowza!" or "Gat drat" :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 9, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm working on one but I think it involves playing 4 Bobs. Adding 4 one-drops to that deck really brings the average CMC down.

4 Push AND 4 Bob? I'm curious about what you'd cut for those, it sounds like quite the overhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

I wonder if it would be safe to unban a regular cantrip now that Probe is rightfully dead.

I agree with this but I'm not sure about your reasoning. In my mind they fill different niches- Ponder et al. are better for finding cards you need, while Probe's strength comes from it being a free way to determine if you can combo off. I'm not sure if Wizards is ready to start giving combo its good card selection tools back, and these two bans seems targeted at the two main combo decks in the format (Dredge and Infect).