Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you'd think wizards would have learned after the last time they decided to push a synergetic tribe of colourless dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Can you "fix" the basic lands the same way you do when putting your draft deck together?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

eSporks posted:

I'd settle for any format really. I think the last one we had was koth right?

there is a red planeswalker literally playable right now who doesn't have a loot ability on their +.

(it's on their 0 instead, lol)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So we've basically come full-circle back to the "no evasion, no way to protect itself, no value if it dies right away" reason people thought it was underwhelming when it first got spoiled?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Because sometimes you don't want to wait for them to tap out for something before going off.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My "budget" version of abzan company just uses Wooded Foothills instead of Verdant Catacombs, and Avacyn's Pilgrim instead of Noble Hierarch.

I'm not sure you can really call an $800 deck "budget", but it works fine without spending that extra $300-400. Actually the big annoyance for me money-wise is the lack of fulminators for the tron matchup.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There are actually two different ones, though obviously one of them is a lot better than the other.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What happens if you activate a token copy of Chaos Orb?

Are you allowed to represent your tokens with one of those oversized commander cards?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

Not sure if I agree with Boom//Bust, unless the whole point is to use it only when you have Flagstones in play. Manamorphose also seems a little weak, other than for digging for cards you actually want.

Boom is a 2-mana Stone Rain if you have a fetchland out, even if you ignore the flagstones value.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Voyager I posted:

If you want more mana dorks to make T1 more productive and power out your Rhinos faster., I think Arbor Elf is the go-to budget option for decks that already run Birds and aren't willing to shell out for Hierarch. They're definitely not as good, but they perform the job and can make your colors as long as you have shocklands out.

FWIW, I use Avacyn's Pilgrim as my budget-hierarch of choice. Fixes your colours almost as well as hierarch, and you can play non-fetch/shock lands to save on life without worrying about turning off your mana dorks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sigma-X posted:

I don't get why that gifts pile has quicken

commandeer isn't very good when played at sorcery speed

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The head judge already has discretion to backup the game state if the "appropriate" fix without backing up leaves the game in a stupid situation.

Just give the head judge the discretion to also do that for missed-trigger cases where the opponent wants the trigger to be resolved.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Why would you rewind there though? It's the chalice's owner's responsibility to remember that trigger. Playing into a chalice to see if your opponent is paying attention is perfectly reasonable. I suppose if nothing else happened to the boardstate then yeah, you could argue for a rewind but it's still a legal play and a textbook ruling.

It was Player A missing his own chalice trigger.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mfcrocker posted:

The Head Judge always has discretion to ignore policy, but they should be really careful about doing so. Policy is there to provide consistency.

Sorry, I left out a sentence fragment there.

What I meant was that for a Game Rule Violation, the policy (in the IPG) explicitly calls out "hey you can back this up if (in the head judge's opinion) it's substantially better than leaving this as-is". Missed trigger doesn't say this, but perhaps it should.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm pretty sure the answer is split decision to copy crop rotation, getting ancient tomb. Then cunning wish for pact of negation. You're cold to them naturally drawing a depths in the next two turns, or if they have wasteland in hand, but after that you're not in bad shape.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheKingofSprings posted:

Doesn't that leave you a mana short on your next upkeep?

Three islands + Ancient Tomb is 5. You're copying the crop rotation, not casting it, so you don't pay the additional cost.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GoutPatrol posted:

If you never plan on selling it who cares.

pretty much, but at that point you might as well buy an sp (or even mp) one and save some cash.

though you probably shouldn't buy one of those online, you'd want to see in person what exactly someone means by "slightly played"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Spell Snare also doesn't do anything about Duress, which is pretty relevant in your infernal tutor matchups

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

does modern dredge not play thug already? i know i could look at lists and answer this myself but thug is real good in LED dredge since you you put narcomoebas and other stuff back on the top of your deck (also putrid imp but that isn't legal)

Dredge in modern is mostly built on the haunted dead/amalgam interaction, narcomoeba is fine as yet another free body but it's much less powerful than it is in legacy where you have bridges and therapies to turn your 1/1 into some 2/2s plus taking your opponent's answer.

Essentially, instead of running thug to maybe recur a narcomoeba engine, modern dredge has been running loam to power haunted dead and conflagrate.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cactrot posted:

Yes, this is what I'm saying, if it hit all versions of the card it would hit mountains. The card does not function that way, it works in the way you described.

Every printing of every card works exactly the same way as every other printing of the same card in regards in city in a bottle. There is absolutely nothing there that would cause you to need to code different printings separately.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Played my first RL magic in ages, 3-0-1 at fnm with modern coco. :feelsgood: Lots of tense games, a few moments where I felt I misplayed (but didn't really get punished for it), and a few where I think I was correct to roll the dice and I got rewarded.

R1 vs. Eldrazi Tron (2-1), and this lucky dude has turn 3 tron every game. Not that it seemed to help him much. Game 1 he assembles tron off a map and just steamrollers me with big dudes, culminating in an ulamog. Fiend hunter buys me a turn but ends up having to chump block, which is a bit unfortunate. Game 2 he has natural tron, leaving a turn 1 map unused while playing out two relics of progenitus. His only big spell is a turn 4 Karn though, and with a companied-up spellskite protecting me from his first activation I get there with some small dudes and a township. Game 3 he again has natural tron and this time has a bit of pressure in the form of eldrazi, but I'm able to combo for life and he doesn't have any disruption to stop me scrying into a win. I was feeling pretty dead to an O-stone or Ugin at any point there, but I suppose "not always having it" is the downside to not playing Ancient Stirrings or any other sort of filtering.

R2 vs. Bogles (2-1), and I get run over by a scout with pro-creatures and ethereal armor and keen sense. My company doesn't hit any enchantment-removing guys. The next couple of games I'm able to keep his enchantments to a manageable number and my bigger creatures end up doing the job, though in game three especially I would have been dead to a lucky topdeck.

R3 vs. Eldrazi Taxes (1-1). I mull to 5 and keep a no-lander on the draw ... And that's the game I won! He doesn't kill my bird immediately, and running lands keep me going through his leonin arbiters and ghost quarters/paths, while a stream of cocos off the top mostly whiffs on real action but gives me a lot of bodies. Eventually he trades off the arbiters, and I build up to double-Township, growing my mass of mana dorks to really threatening levels. He makes a hail-mary attack that leaves me at 1 with the obvious blocks, then scoops when I work it out and start figuring out if sacrificing a reveillark can help me survive a trick. Game 2 he dominates me with Thalia and arbiter/double ghost quarter, leaving me dead with uncastable cards in hand. With less than five minutes on the round clock we decide to take a draw instead of stressing over game 3.

R4 vs. Abzan (2-1) Game 1 is really back and forth, but I eventually stick an anafenza and then chord for redcap, which cleans up his board. Game 2 he plays a big goyf then 1-for-1s all my guys before dropping a Grafdiggers Cage, leaving me with 3 dead cards in hand and unable to refill. Game 3 he keeps a 1 lander with a cage and four pieces of 1-mana interaction, but bricks on a second land for five or six turns, which is kind of unfortunate.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ascendancy combo has a wishboard, fwiw

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Frontier is entirely adequate as a gimmick format where people can bust out their old standard decks with a few upgrades. It's not a real format though, and it has no longevity to it.

Bring back Extended.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheKingofSprings posted:

Akroma is a fringe card in some flicker decks I think

Isn't that the other akroma?

The one doing an exalted angel impression

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Bob + Emrakul.

No fear.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Into the Ocean posted:

I'm sorry for the dumb rule question, but I'm going to play against a dnt player as my lands; does cycle count against something like Spirit of the Labyrinth?

Yes. If you've already drawn a card this turn, you won't be able to draw a card when the cycling ability resolves. I'd also recommend not casting Brainstorm.

Note that you can cycle one card on your opponent's turn and still get to draw that way.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Skyl3lazer posted:

I mean, there are plenty of 1 color and 1 Mana answers to moon, decay isn't required. Also mean you need 2 drs or a basic in play to cast over say, natural state or similar.

You can maindeck Decay though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

Does the phrase "mana cost" in As Foretold let you do something like that? I'm honestly not sure if that's how it works, the wording is general enough that it should but it also doesn't line up with wording that they've used for other alternate cost effects in the past (like trying to Snapcast a Trap card for its trap cost)

Or maybe it's the "pay 0" part?

Snapcaster Mage gives a card Flashback, and you have to pay the card's flashback cost (not its mana cost or any other alternative costs) to actually cast it from your graveyard.

Flip Jace just lets you cast a card from your graveyard. You can totally pay alternate costs if you want to.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think you need a 7. Return Undercity Informer and sacrifice Sun Titan, otherwise you'll be making decisions each time through the loop too.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Temples and Cliffs are totally defensible.

But why verbatim copy the guildgate?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'd lean towards Belcher because then you're not fighting SnT for cantrips. Also because you're probably not the only team to figure out the general lack of forces, so going all-in on getting under the other combo decks will help there.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Nettle Sentinel + Heritage Druid is what lets you dump your hand on turn 2 and be set up to overrun for lethal on turn 3 or 4. It's much better to have a card that's sometimes an explosive powerhouse and sometimes not than it is to have a card that's always mediocre.

Being a 2/2 is also relevant in a lot of matchups.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You don't see anyone calling for a Birds of Paradise ban though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It will always be funny how they "fixed" yawgmoth's will by giving it flashback.

You basically always give them Past in Flames, because if you give them a ritual instead, they'll just flashback past in flames and end up in exactly the same spot but with more mana and storm count. (I guess you could make an exception if you think you can fight over the past in flames, but in that case why aren't you fighting over the gifts?). The real decision is whether you give them Manamorphose or not, which basically comes down to figuring out whether they're more likely to fizzle by running out of mana, or by being short on cards. (If they have a cost reducer in play it's probably "neither" and you shouldn't stress over the decision too much, but if they don't you can look at what they already have in their graveyard and try to figure it out).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Proxy legacy, so it's the temporarily-embarrassed sort of FYGM people.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Merely owning a Tabernacle instead of turning it into cash money probably qualifies as some sort of mistake.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What's the plan against Surgical? Wait until you have a redundant return-to-hand effect in play before trying to combo?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

jassi007 posted:

Surgical is good when it is t1 or t2 discard spell that gets a Scrap Trawler or KCI followed by surgical. If you are trying to gotcha me with a surgical when I'm comboing odds are pretty poo poo to pull it off unless you find a spot where everything that costs more than the target is not on the battlefield, and neither is Myr Retriever, and I don't have a Buried Ruin to activate. It isn't impossible to disrupt the combo, but its really really hard.

Would Dispossess work as a one-card equivalent to discard + surgical, or are you usually fast enough to get things on the battlefield before it comes down?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mezzanon posted:

2d6has more evens than odds just fyi. 1d6 is good for odds/evens.

Also everyone join me on 21land, greed is good.

What do you think the odds are of rolling even vs. odd on 2d6?

Does your answer change if you first roll one die and look at it (let's suppose it's a 4) before rolling the second one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

Bad 2: Had CoCo and Spell Queller to respond to an opponent's BBE. Got greedy and responded with CoCo which was mediocre, then he Cascades into LotV and I lose both creatures by turn's end.

Seems like it would always be correct to let them resolve their Cascade trigger first and see what it hits?