Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

eSporks posted:

I'd settle for any format really. I think the last one we had was koth right?

Ok, I guess its not as bad I thought, but 1/4 red planeswalkers have a loot ability.

Chandra Pyromaster was playable until they printed outpost siege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

little munchkin posted:

Eidolon is good against Ad Nauseam as well. With Pridemages to answer Phyrexian Unlife, you can keep them off the combo completely.

Prevents cascade into Living End as well. Or Restore Balance if someone is playing that for some reason.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sigma-X posted:

Defense Grid and City of Solitude are basically Duresses that are immune to Flusterstorm, and that you want to play early rather than holding for your critical turn like you do with discard spells.

We ran two D.Grid in our ANT deck's side for a while and against control matchups you would just swap them in for two of the duress effects.

They avoid creature kill that people bring in / keep in for Xantid Swarm and they are very hard to remove as most people do not keep a lot of artifact/enchantment hate in their deck.

I can see City potentially being preferable in the Miracles matchup as they don't have Abrupt Decay and they can't flip into a lot of 3s and they definitely didn't bring/keep Wear//Tear against your 4 LEDs.

Also the aforementioned inability to top during your turn.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

suicidesteve posted:

Oh right, I was thinking Eidolon was after they started giving you any rare as your promo.

Nah that was the bullshit one where everyone was trying to get the white pack because of Dawnbringer Charioteers.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Razzled posted:

I'm super bummed that my little tier 2 modern deck somehow marauded it's way into a PTQ crushing deck that managed to get itself banned not 6 months after I bought all the pieces...

Is there anything similar I can salvage as much as possible from my Amulet Bloom deck into?

Maybe scapeshift or some sort of Valakut deck?

GR titanshift maybe.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

L0cke17 posted:

Luckily in their infinite wisdom, and in anticipation of this exact problem, WotC has produced a magical card to circumvent this issue entirely.
Apart from awesome card name/flavor, I would rather play Chromatic Lantern

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

standard.deviant posted:

It feels like you're pretty much Leyline-or-bust against Burn and Ad Nauseam.

Doesn't Ad Nauseam usually run at least one way to get around these types of things (e.g. Lab Maniac)?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
RIP MIracles

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah I'm tempted to swap to UWR blade with maindeck blood moons.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The March Hare posted:

Guess who has two thumbs and just bought elves. Hot tip for those of you down for a good spec, people are selling SP+ cradles for ~$120 on MKM.

So what you're saying is I should run engineered plague.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

EvilBeard posted:

But it's already a well established reason for banning. Top was already banned in two other formats for this reason. Do I think they NEEDED to ban Top? No. Can I see why they did it? Yeah. It's not the worst decision they've made.

This showed up at WotC today:

Wait what other format besides modern?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

suicidesteve posted:

You know what would make this deck better? A black splash for Deathrite and Abrupt Decay.

Oh right you changed your name.

And Leovolds right?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I think thopterbalance was running enlightened tutor, but that was also a countertop deck. Presumably any kind of Etutor control like list is going to be running some sort of combo finish (e.g. RIP/Helm, Thopter/sword) that is tutorable by Etutor along with haymaker permanents like RIP, blood moon, etc.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

this is the deck list i've waited my whole life to lay eyes on. it's beautiful

my absolute favorite part, and this is not at all a criticism, is that to beat a game 1 leyline of sanctity, you need to have both energy fields, a jace, and your blood moon out in order to turn on Keranos beatdown

And you need to get those out before you die to keranos triggers assuming your opponent doesn't have a creature with >3 toughness.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Soul Glo posted:

Are there any cards from Amonkhet that'll be staples (or at least playable) in non-rotating formats a la Fatal Push from AER that I ought to pick up?

Some people are speculating that As Foretold might be playable since you can do stuff like cast Ancestral Vision, Living End, or Restore Balance from your hand, but I don't think there are any slam dunks like Fatal Push. Maybe Harsh Mentor in sideboards, but it's not as good when people aren't activating top a billion times per turn.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 27, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sampatrick posted:

Do y'all think that the UB Faeriestill deck gets any better in nuLegacy? Do Faerie decks get better in general? Spellstutter Sprite is still the nut and we'll probably see less Decays which means Bitterblossom is probably a better threat. Can my dream deck of Esper Faerieblade be viable now?

Not Esper, but http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15126&d=291656&f=LE. Note: the Chandras are because he lost a bet.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tim Raines IRL posted:

>.< no it's terrible I thought it said draw a card. Okay, that's just a one of.

probably a reasonable idea, but who does that give me in these colors? I think the 4-drop walkers are too expensive to be useful.

Your planeswalker options at 3 CMC in RUG are
Domri Rade
Jace Beleren
Nissa, Steward of Elements
Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
Nissa, Sage Animist
Saheeli Rai

E: how did I forget Jace, Telepath Unbound?

kirtar fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 3, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

C-Euro posted:

Does the phrase "mana cost" in As Foretold let you do something like that? I'm honestly not sure if that's how it works, the wording is general enough that it should but it also doesn't line up with wording that they've used for other alternate cost effects in the past (like trying to Snapcast a Trap card for its trap cost)

Or maybe it's the "pay 0" part?

To me it looks like they're retemplating "without paying its Mana cost" as pay {0} instead.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Star Man posted:

Play Assemble the Legion every chance you get.

That card didn't so much work for me in RTR-THS standard

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Death Bot posted:

I played a copy in fog gates bc it dodged the pithing needles that hit all my other wincons

That's actually the original reason I was playing it, but it also worked really well in UWR control because mono B basically couldn't do anything about it (nobody played illness in the ranks).

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I don't think Affinity has ever dropped out of Tier 1 if we use the Modern Nexus criteria

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Speaking of which, have you read this? http://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2017/05/build-around-mee/

Not sure if he's actually tested his list, but in my own testing I think Moat makes sense in the main again. I haven't had much luck running it as a combo deck like you mentioned. It's objectively slower than other combos, and setting up a soft-lock so you survive to draw into your combo means you have to play as a control deck anyways. Humility is probably still SB-worthy, but I think Moat is unanswerable enough in Game 1 that it's worth the risk.

61 cards without good justification :barf:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

L0cke17 posted:

#freetop

Without having to devote all that sideboard space to beating miracles, I can now play multiple cheap sweepers like staticaster, kozileks return, pyroclasms etc and just gently caress d&t and elves. I kinda like it.

If D&T is a specific target, would sulfur elemental be worth considering?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

L0cke17 posted:

D&t isn't the specific target. It's for elves and d&t and grixis Pyromancer.

I was going for if D&T is particularly prevalent in a local meta.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Star Man posted:

No it doesn't. Trinisphere just adds mana to the total casting cost of the card, but effects that change the total casting cost of a card do not change the converted mana cost.

Spending mana generated by Boseiju or Cavern of Souls to cast a spell will prevent Chalice of the Void from countering it, but Trinisphere just adds to the total casting cost.

So where exactly is your disagreement? He is saying that the added casting cost from Trinisphere makes it possible to use Boseju or Cavern uncounterable mana where it might not otherwise be possible. This of course stops working if you drop a Blood Moon.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

L0cke17 posted:

Elves, D&T (gently caress mom/sanctum prelate on 1), mentor/pyromancer mirrors, anything with DRS. It shines in basically every match where they try to win with a creature. Doesnt kill leovold obviously, but you have blasts and swords and snapcasters for that. Also doesnt do much vs Aluren besides hitting their deathrites, but still, its a really solid card right now.

I have a Dega list that is really sweet with Kambals, chrome mox, pyromancer, mentor, and sorins, (and all the night's whispers) but that is just too bad to really post right now. Needs a lot of tweaking.

Being able to take cavern harpy off the board sounds OK vs Aluren, but it depends on the exact build and what they have in hand.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Walked posted:

The aim is to:
- Minimize risk of lending for me
- Maximize exposure to legacy while doing #1

Ideally I'd like to come up with 1-3 decks under $500 that I can put together to lend out. It looks like two of the three are probably going to be Budget Turbo Depths, and Mono Red Burn (this is just too cheap not to have around). Looking for 1 or 2 more.

Manaless dredge?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Stangg posted:

They are great... because they pushed down the price of actually nice full art lands (In my subjective opinion)

They're great because now I can play mismatched, but also sort of matched full art lands (all different art, but John Avon).

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

suicidesteve posted:

Do you want to win or do you just want to play legacy? If you just want to play, Death and Taxes is just barely above unplayable and is the cheapest deck that's not super linear. Maverick is like Death and Taxes except in addition to not being able to beat midrange and having a hard time against control, you also can't beat combo. Stoneblade I don't think has been good ever, or at least in 5+ years. Miracles is fine but it still seems really bad to me. I hate the idea of relying on Search for Azcanta. Like if you're getting to a point where Search for Azcanta is good as a control deck, you've probably already won the game. I will say that once you've stabilized, Search for Azcanta makes it almost impossible for your opponent to claw back into the game. If you're playing Deathrite and not playing Delver or Jace, you're making a mistake. Also if you're not playing Deathrite you're making a mistake.

Stoneblade was fine right after TNN was printed and people somehow couldn't figure out how to deal with it, though that's riding right up on the 5 year mark at this point. There was also a minor resurgence during cruise/dig meta, but both of these were more favorable to UWR delver and Deathblade than to Stoneblade.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 18, 2018

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

suicidesteve posted:

Those times you're talking about were the same time. I didn't feel like mentioning every time Stoneblade actually was good for 3 days, not that I think it was a good deck back then. And UWR Delver was never a good deck. UR Delver was the deck when Cruise was legal and Omnitell after that.

They were offset by nearly a year since it was Commander 2013 and Khans of Tarkir.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I haven't really had time to play recently, but Modern Affinity has been my longest running deck since I bought into Modern in 2014.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheKingofSprings posted:

The bar for equipment to be playable in Modern is honestly pretty absurdly high, so I don’t see non-Swords/Skull hitting that mark. I could potentially see it tutoring for Sword of the Meek or Cranial Plating but that’s about it.

And of course :laffo: at the idea of jitte ever being unbanned

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ilmucche posted:

I think it's overhyped but can be a mean gotcha card out of sideboards

Actually the only reason I had notion thief in my sideboard. Unfortunately I missed my opportunity to do it in favor of actually putting a threat on the board. The real gotcha was slamming back to basics with force backup the moment my opponent tapped out though.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ilmucche posted:

Every now and then I get blue decks with choke the same way. Feels good

I had an awkward stare down where I had back to basics and my opponent had choke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I see that Mind's Desire is back on the menu.