Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

I wanted to get a 2nd set of all the non-Port cards so I would have a deck to lend people/have something for my daughter to play eventually maybe for the exact same reason. Plus if WotC ever decides to do something good for once and unban Stoneforge (haha,) that card is just free money. It's just so unplayable right now, even with a splash, and the right people don't whine about the format so I don't see it ever getting better. Also nobody will take my dogecoin as payment for the cards.

About the only hope I see is the team PT coming up, and even then it wouldn't surprise me if they ignored a 28-32 DRS top 8. Or they'll ban Brainstorm or something instead.

Basically what I'm saying is ban fetches.

I'm hoping the February unban announcement has SFM, so I can swap out my blade splicers for SFM in modern.

What cards would you guys like to see unbanned? And what do you guys think it's safe to unban.

I think they're gonna unban BBE and maybe SFM, here's hoping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I see people mention BBE, SFM, and JMTS a lot, mostly the first two. I'd benefit from SFM getting unbanned and I don't think BBE would be too bad. At this point I kinda think they might do some unbans just to see what happens since those cards are mentioned so much. They update the B&R list so much now that they could give cards 3 month periods of unbanning to see if they overly warp the metagame or just shift it.

Yeah that's what I feel as well, and I hope they see it that way as well.

I'm still on the fence about JTMS, like as a turn 4 control play, it's pretty meh unless you're really ahead, but no one is gonna play it on turn 4, but it would give control a really good finisher though.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

G3: an emotional ROLLERCOASTER of a game. Opponent drops a phyrexian unlife and I start with swans beats. Eventually I find a seismic assault. Opponent passes turn to me and on my upkeep attempts to cast a Ad Nauseum, so I spell pierce, he cracks his lotus and pays, I spell pierce again, he uses his remaining mana and exiles a simian spirit guide to pay, so I cast my sideboard Glorious End, and end the turn. Opponent untaps, and passes, and then on my upkeep casts an angels grace. i play a seismic assault and start comboing off while my opponent just goes "why are you doing this? You can't win the game, and I can't lose the game this turn and you lose on your upkeep. You have no line, what are you trying to accomplish?" so I draw cards, put my opponent to one, and then in my second main phase I cast Days Undoing and end the turn. My opponent goes "Oh, I guess that ends the turn before your end step doesn't it?" we shuffle up, draw seven new cards, and my opponent shows me 3 leyline, 3 pact of negation, and a land, and scoops it up.

:vince::perfect:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Stangg posted:

Wow the top 4 most played decks at the PT are Affinity, Burn, Humans and GB Tron. I guess I better get moving quickly on Tron pieces if I want to get them at a reasonable price for Lyon.

Where are you seeing this list?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Stangg posted:

They did a run down just before the modern section, no numbers just the top 4 most popular

Ah kk, I totally forgot this was taking place in Spain haha. Catching it on stream now!

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

if I can dodge the judge calls for a 38 card deck, then I'll just spend the day wishing I'd played manaless dredge instead (manaless dredge in modern is a thing some guy at my LGS tries to do sometimes)

Hey I have those zambo tokens too!

Do you happen to have the list on the modern manaless dredge?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Archenteron posted:

Replace an Anger of the Gods with a Blasphemous Act (this is the :getin: of :getin:s with a swan out)

:pusheen:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sampatrick posted:

Potential UB Faeries list with JTMS here. Jace makes late game discard/leaks much less problematic and between all your random fliers and Tar Pit you should be quite good at killing opposing Jaces. You also no longer need to play any Snapcaster Mages which means you can get away with playing more Mistbind Cliques which improves your big mana matchups - matchups that will probably become more common now that people are going to be playing more Jund/Uxx decks that tend to fold to big mana strategies. The sideboard is spaghetti on a wall and includes some somewhat experimental things but it's worth a shot. Let me know if y'all see any notable exclusions or have any ideas for what might be good in the deck.

I'm gonna try that list. Thanks, I'm always up to make faeries work lol.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Lawnie posted:

Modern’s first $2000 deck??

Jund won that contest at least a year ago

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Elvis_Maximus posted:

So, is the most expensive part of most modern combo decks still the manabase? Putting aside I guess the super chase cards like Tarmogoyf and JtmS which I understand is legal again?

One of these days I really want to start getting into modern, as it seems like one of the most fun formats. I have a modern UR storm deck in MTGO that I like a lot, and is mostly super cheap, but the $100+ in lands alone for a paper version has always been a little hard to swallow.

I guess it sounds like they're reprinting a lot of modern staples now, so hopefully shocklands are one of them eventually?

Shocklands are actually the cheaper lands, the fetches, especially Scalding Tarn, are where the real money costs are. Although with people playing more modern now, shocks have been going up a bit.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Dang, that's crazy. I thought paying like $20 per land was already pretty pricey. I guess that's just the shallow end of the cardboard yacht pool.

Where are you buying your cards? I just checked TCGplayer and Steam Vents is only like $15. I mean, I'm up for supporting LGS, but when you're saving like $5 per card, I'd just buy them online.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah I guess I've been playing taxes decks too long to care about breach much. Last time someone tried to cast TtB I just vialed in big Thalia and he scooped. Time before that I just flickerwisp'd it before he could attack.

What list are you running Mr. LongDong?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Have you guys managed to activate Eiganjo castle to any noticiable affect yet? I'm finding it more and more to just replace that thing with another Sheft Dunes or Plains. I run 2 Dunes and 4 Horizon Canopies normally.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
For modern D&T, I've seen some lists that run Smuggler's Copter. Have anyone tried that yet and how good does it feel with those?

Also the mono-white Eldrazi list looks pretty good. I'll give that a try when I get home later, and unsleeve my SFM that I put in there in hopes of an unban :smith:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Cool thanks guys, I'm playing mono-white right now and I'll throw 2 copies in there to try it out.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
And I thought they were expensive when they were $7 each a year ago.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Three years ago.

Holy poo poo it's been that long since I built modern dredge >_<

Also for the Faerie Jace deck, I took out 2 of the Inquisitions and replaced them with 2 Collective Brut in the main and 2 in the side, on the advice of another goon, will try that at FNM tomorrow.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

finally, Thrun gets his day in the sun

Got my copies last night :science:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sampatrick posted:

Y'know which Jace deck can realistically beat Scapeshift? Faeries.

Please explain sir.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

The big mana sorcery speed deck does not like Mistbind Clique

Ah, I was thinking the cheap tempo plays with Bitterblossom and Spellstutter easily counter Scapeshift or Titan. Totally forgot about Mistbind.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Uh excuse me I don't play bad cards.

My name is Commander Shepard and this is my favorite post on the Citadel

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I just got to play some Modern with the UB faeries deck with Jace, I gotta say, feels so drat good to play with my faeries cards, not to mention brainstorming in modern, feels so loving good.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

DurdleDuck posted:

*casts Bloodbraid Elf*
*cascades into Radiant Flames*

Slightly worse than cascading into Mishra's Bauble.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sampatrick posted:

Potential UB Faeries list with JTMS here. Jace makes late game discard/leaks much less problematic and between all your random fliers and Tar Pit you should be quite good at killing opposing Jaces. You also no longer need to play any Snapcaster Mages which means you can get away with playing more Mistbind Cliques which improves your big mana matchups - matchups that will probably become more common now that people are going to be playing more Jund/Uxx decks that tend to fold to big mana strategies. The sideboard is spaghetti on a wall and includes some somewhat experimental things but it's worth a shot. Let me know if y'all see any notable exclusions or have any ideas for what might be good in the deck.

I changed up the list a bit and this is what I'm gonna try this coming friday
https://deckstats.net/decks/21329/922075-jace-is-a-faerie/en

Well it's either that or this, haven't tried this in action yet, added the Smuggler's Copters, Eldrazi Displacer, and swole Thalia.
https://deckstats.net/decks/21329/922066-thalia-get-to-da-choppa-

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 19, 2018

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Does Modern Death and Taxes/Hatebears still run one or two singleton Swords Of X & Y? Feel like I used to see lists with them but haven't in a while.

I tried to but it just ends getting KoCo 2 for 1ed every time. Even though I really like the Swords, I just leave them out now.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Someone in the main thread said they didn't understand why anyone would want to play that first list, but the second one you posted is rad as hell and I really want to build it as well. I just want an excuse to play Lightning Helix again.

I also really want to play this Naya Eldritch Evolution list that was part of the same decklist dump.

I'm surprised there's no Iona in there, for like the extra evolve fuckery.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Can't Evolve into her since she costs 9 mana and the highest CMC in the deck is 5. But now that you mention it, Elesh Norn costs 7 mana...

Oh right, that was the original evolve chain. Nothing like clearing the board before you make it so they can't cast their stuff :D

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want to talk Jace construction theory.

What kinds of decks does Jace optimally function in? Decks where he’s one threat of many? Decks where he’s coming down after exhausting your opponent’s options? Or decks that power him out turn 3 leaving up Birds and Hierarchs to block?

I haven't actually played Jace outside of Legacy, and I've played him only BUG Delver and Miracles, both have FoW with either efficient removal and tempo or just hard counterbalance lock. At that point Jace is pretty much a "win more" card. I'm trying Jace out in a faeries shell to do the removal/tempo thing and see if that works out. Since once you exhaust their resources, you would be out as well, and Jace is a perfect way to refill your hand with good cards, not to mention putting some more pressure on the opponent, although Bitterblossom does a fantastic job of that if that's resolved.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

Well maybe.

FOIL. RUSSIAN. STOMPING GROUNDS.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

:gizz:

Wait, which set?

Gatecrash :colbert:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

but I want to cast some lightning helixes this week.

:same: But I'm gonna be attempting to cast Mistbind Clique this week

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Archenteron posted:

So besides the obvious (find an AiD and 1+ Wurmcoil and maybe a Ballista), any other interesting/spicy suggestions? I prefer semi-effective gimmick over Good and Dull

MYR BATTLESPHERE

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

j8910 posted:

What's the most fun modern deck?

Eldrazi Taxes or mono-white D&T

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
What happened to Cruel Bargin? Was it too slow or?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

lmao at the rest of that top 8, and particularly the people that chose not to bring the 4x Metalworker, 4x Tinker deck

depends. There are a bunch of different rulesets because it isn't a sanctioned format. for example, the "Chicago Rules," which are used a lot in America and at the biggest 93/94 tournaments here - not really. So, damage doesn't use the stack, your sideboard may be "up to" 15 cards, and so on. The only difference from the modern rules is that mana burn still happens, and there are some errata for cards, notably Chaos Orb

I feel like if you're gonna play that kind of format, you need to value the sanctity of the rules at the time. Especially with how sperg some people are with it, like saying revised edition cards are proxies, or may not even allow them.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I'm gonna run this faeries list again. Although I went 1-2 last week, it was mostly because of a few clutch draws in games where I was about to stablize. It's been pretty fun and I enjoy getting to play faeries again.

https://deckstats.net/decks/21329/922075-jace-is-a-faerie/en

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

EvilBeard posted:

Really, I'd play 4 EWitness and Avalanche Riders. You don't need 6 drops. Your win condition is killing your opponent's desire to play Magic.

There are other wincons?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

EvilBeard posted:

Yeah, you can Nephalia Drownyard them out.

:discourse:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Some decent tron & storm hate in Dominaria, anyway.

Dampening Sphere (2)
If a land would produce 2 or more mana it produces C instead of any other color or type.
Spells cost (1) more for each spell played this turn

And hoses tron like no body's business :getin:

Went 3-0 with the faeries list I posted earlier. People do not know how to sideboard vs tempo, they keep trying to prep for control but the incremental advantage I gain from a variety of sources just snowball effect them down. Also Bitterblossom is a very good card and it's fun playing with 3 previously banned cards as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Modern fam, I'm still stuck on GW Elves and RW Prison while I slowly piece together Bant decks. How hosed am I against Jund in a post-Bloodbraid Elf unbanning?

Pretty sure Prison decks don't really give a gently caress about what they're playing, especially a t2 Blood Moon. I don't know about the Elves v Jund match up though, seems like it's bad even before the unban.