Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

man why isn't my favorite deck in the gauntlet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Is Nimble Mongoose going to do things in Pauper?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

doesn't it seem very good with moldervine cloak or rancor? :haw:

joking aside you'd think you'd be able to do something with like

4 basking rootwalla
4 wild mongrel
4 circular logic
4 deep analysis
4 arrogant wurm
4 nimble mongoose

Hell, add in Careful Study and Aquamoeba and you literally have Block UG Madness (with Mongeese and extra Deep Analyses)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

also i dont think ug madness played mongeese but i honestly dont remember. realistically what im saying is why isnt there a threshold deck gently caress this format.

Hence, "with Mongeese"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I really hate the Eldrazi white manabase, it looks absolutely awful. They usually run 6 plains/karakas, 1 mox pearl, 1 black lotus, and 4 cavern for white sources with often 3+ creatures with nonoverlapping creature types(some combination of Thalia, Wingmare, Displacer, Stoneforge) and then they have cards like Rest in Peace or Disenchant in their sideboard and somehow they expect to cast all these spells. If I was playing that deck the first thing I would go would be cut 3 moxen/caverns/cities for 3 white sources. They can be plains, they can be Brushlands (if you're worried about colorless sources), they can be something else entirely, I don't care. I just don't understand how anyone can look at that manabase and go "hmm, yes, this is correct".

Elyv fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 8, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

L0cke17 posted:

The green/white eldrazi list is actually superior to the mono-whit eone just because brushland is a triland effectively.

I've never seen GW Eldrazi in Vintage, but I don't follow the format closely. Got a list?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

eSporks posted:

Yea, that decks mana is atrocious. It's a 2 color deck with no fetch lands. This is exactly what I mean, wizards takes the firm stance than eldrazi mana was not a 6th color, and some techno babble about how the mechanic has always existed and is nothing new. Then you see the constraints it puts on play and deck building, and it absolutely is a 6th color.

I mean, you're right; it is effectively a sixth color. It's possibly to build a decent 2 color manabase without fetches, though. You just might have to make some sacrifices.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

Close, because it has Chapin, but it's actually this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26PPRnVCLVA

you mean this, right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMei_cxSC0c

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Holy poo poo.

It's such a good match.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

I mean, it's a classic, but holy moly does Brian Davis not play well

Well I mean you would think getting to go turn 1 unmask into necro in extended would be enough to win no matter how badly you played

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

It was never the best creature in any deck it was in

lol

this could be true now, but it was certainly not true in the past

E: steve really hates shardless

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Isn't pauper currently being broken by peregrine drake

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

You know what Modern needs more of?

Ajani Vengeant.

But instead, you could play the other, better 2RW planeswalker

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That sounds awful. 3 toughness isn't great in modern and the opponent can kill it without it ever doing anything, and burn is a deck that really needs every single spell. It's also a horrible topdeck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Spellstutter with only 6 total faeries including the stutters seems suspicious as all get out.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Toxic Deluge (or, if you want to get really laset focused, virtues ruin) seems ok if you can ever cast a 3 mana spell against them(which seems hard but idk)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

Massacre is the best grixis card for clearing the board against DnT. Dread of Night also does a lot of work.

If you want a card that does an OK impression of those but also hits TNN, you use Marsh Casualties.

Deluge is waaaay too expensive, and Virtue's Ruin is a mix of waaaay too expensive and also not as flexible as deluge.

I forgot that Massacre and Dread of Night exist :downs:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Edit: accidental double post

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv posted:

Omen/Valakut(not the rest of this) was a real deck in the last seasons of Extended. You would even sometimes run Warfare(go ahead, look it up) to fetch your Omen.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I feel like with no 1 mana discard main and no lilis you're going to get torn apart by fast combo.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Pontius Pilate posted:

Your ebay sales after lodestone got restricted?

:drat:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't think Burn really cares which fetches it plays as long as they can fetch mountains. Heath seems like a fairly minor loss of percent as well; not being able to fetch basic mountain is a thing, but it's not the end of the world.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I still think Burn can get away with a couple of Heaths. Obviously they're not as good as a red fetch but they still get you all your colors. Would not run any other nonred fetch, though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i think it was in old RDW decks but a 3 mana card that doesn't do anything seems worse than any of your millions of lava spikes or prices or eidolons

The other thing is that ancient RDW deck was a fundamentally different deck that was not really in a hurry to win and more wanted to deal like 3 damage per turn until you were at 8 and only burn you out then, or actually play as the control deck in some creature matchups. Scroll fundamentally doesn't fit in the way that current burn decks play.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

What are you commandeering in modern, become Immense?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

people are never going to stop complaining, just play whatever you want

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

it was $50 or whatever for a little before everyone realized that was completely insane. Now it's fallen down to plain ol' insane

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I haven't played bloomless titan but amulet bloom could never beat a moon unless you drew your seal or landed a Titan before moon came down, so assuming the mana base is basically the same it's like, yeah, if they have it you look stupid, but if they have it you've 99% lost anyway

Elyv fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 14, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Every time I think about playing Death's Shadow in Legacy I remember its extremely awkward interaction with enemy Swords to Plowshares and I stop considering it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Have you lost multiple Shadows to a single Swords yet? Am I overestimating the seriousness of that problem?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Yeah the ubiquity of Dredge (and thus GY hate) is keeping me from finishing it up. I just have all of the expensive parts already so I thought it might be fun, maybe another day.

If all you're missing is random commons and uncommons I see no reason not to spend like $2 to just finish it.

black potus posted:

My favorite bad legacy brew is Werestill, thank you for your patronage.

I thought it was Deathblade :v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Playing legacy for the first time today. Pretty stoked.

what are you playing and why isn't it doomsday

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Trilas posted:

1 Diabolic Tutor (still trying to figure out what this should be, but it's not been terrible)

If you're willing to spend way the gently caress too much money Grim Tutor is a better card
also if you're willing to spend a bunch of money this deck seems like a solid home for liliana of the veil

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

please do not play creatures you intend to cast in your legacy decks, thank you

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

L0cke17 posted:

Delver is a Wizard, and Wizards arent Creatures, theyre just spells that leave bodies. Other notable examples include Snapcaster Mage and vendilion clique. Thalia is just a thorn that costs white mana, totally not a creature. Mentor is a 3 mana moat that produces attackers, definitely not a creature at all. And Deathrite is a 1-mana planeswalker. I see no creatures there.

ok fair enough but what about these

this is a fun game

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Normally you need a creature to give your Time Walks buyback which is why nobody has ever done it before.

Do you even Magic??

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Don't forget that Snare counters Daze for sure

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

empathe posted:

Is there another Dredger that can be used? What does it dredge?

The obvious replacement is Golgari Thug with dredge 4.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

wizards please print cabal therapy in a modern legal set now that probe is gone

Brain Pry not good enough? greedy greedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

just play bloom titan and don't worry about playing(because your deck is banned)