Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Pontius Pilate posted:

Some guy who was doing pretty well at GPLA with a similar deck had one master of cruelties. Probably too cute but it certainly seems fun.

Yeah we chatted about that in the discord. I think he might have day 2'd but didn't hear anything past that. Definitely seems way too cute to me. He was also running 1 Liliana, the Last Hope as well, I guess to help find master and recur it if it dies. Hazoret has been pretty sweet though, could potentially run a 2nd one of those but it's probably not better than the 3rd Chandra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

Thanks for the comments. I guess I'll drop from 4 to 2, as I had 4 to help with control. Timely reinforcements might end up working better for the lifegain.

Could also be time to admit that gw isn't the best and spend the cash to dive into black, much as I love advent of the wurm and green in the deck. Cramming a nissa, voice of zendikar in would be the dream but I don't think it'll fit.

You just need to build around the current meta, and voice isn't amazing right now. It's definitely had its moments though. Timely seems like it would be bad in a tokens deck though, ideally with tokens you're going to always have more creatures so you won't get the 3 1/1's, and 3 mana just to gain 6 life is bad.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Also the +1 kills chalice, welding jar, and opal if you really want it to, not that they could use it while he's out. I think he's going to show up in every eternal format.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Thought I posted this last night but it appears that didn't go through....

I don't remember who posted the original list in here that had the new looting Sarkhan in it, but I've been playing with it for a few weeks and making some tweaks. Well, last night I went 5-0 in a competitive league with this modified version: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1716330#paper

Angrath is the MVP, he has gotten me out of so many tight spots with his minus ability, I'm seriously considering adding a second. I also did another league yesterday and finished 4-1, my only loss was to some random BR Goblins nonsense that drew back to back god hands while I couldn't find any removal, let alone a wrath or a bridge.

It's doing even better now than it was before the pro tour, since I'm seeing even more of babby's first Modern deck (Tron). The Spyglasses in the sideboard have saved me once from a Teferi, but they're really there for Oblivion Stone. Chalice on 1 is also surprisingly brutal against Tron, since it forces them to play off the top of their deck really early. You just really need a Rabblemaster or a Chandra very early there to close out the game, because they never don't just curve out to 6 anyway and drop a Wurmcoil (game 1 that's doable, but I side out the bridges in that matchup because that's really the only creature I care about so it's rough if they land one).

Heeey, that was me that posted the lists I was working on originally. Glad to see it's working out well. I'm 100% in favor of the rabbles main, I think that's the way to go right now with tron being top dog. Sarkhan seems better when things are slower. I like how clean your list is, have you had any issues running 3 surgical side since you're playing chalice? My inclination was to always run with leylines since they are also turn 0 action and don't clash with other parts of the deck. I usually keep chalice in vs dredge to counter nature's claim/looting anyway.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Sometimes, yeah, but the problem was I traded in my Leylines to change to Surgicals in Jund :smith:. I'd absolutely make that switch, I just don't feel like rebuying that poo poo at the moment.

I might go back to testing this deck more. I'm torn between eldrazi variants, wanting to try this again, and just playing the UWb control that splashes for kaya again. 2 Dreadbore been good? I was trying a bedevil for multi-function purposes.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

For every game I miss Bedevil because I want to blow up an O-stone or something, there are 5 games I'm so glad it only costs 2 mana for blowing up an opposing Liliana or Jace or Goyf and I"m short on mana.

Makes sense. I'm glad you kept having success with it, post some more or in the discord if you do more or make more changes. I might try it again soon myself. Trying to make decisions on what to take to SCGcon. Have you tried the mono-red prison deck with 4 rabble/4 warboss? Should be a lot better vs things like tron, though I like the black options in this version.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Pushing down one archetype is not ok when it requires all the other decks to dedicate a third or more of your sideboard.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

Took infect for a spin today with a take on the Tom Ross list.

Had a game against burn where they suspended two rift bolts and I untapped and played a 3 mana teferi, which felt amazing.

Also played against tron and they played a t2 ballista to kill my Glistener elf and I played a Geist of st Traft that just killed my opponent two turns later despite them being able to cast ulamog.

What's Tom's list right now? Recent infect results on aggregate sites are a mixed bag.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

Did you like teferi? Seems quite slow for infect, but fun.

I love Teferi but I think you wanted to ask someone else.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

is grixis death shadow the good guy now

i've been playing that deck and it's a great deal of fun. there sure are a lot of modern players that are perplexed when you interact with them at all

Shadow is fair and decent still. Though lately I've seen esper shadow popping up on 5-0 lists, which seems even more fun.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Posting this here, too: trying to decide between UW and Bant Stoneblade for an Open tomorrow in Modern. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on those decks, I know UW's got the better record overall, it seems like the more consistent option but Bant is powerful in it's own right and I really like a lot of the cards played in Bant shells.

Play whichever one you like best and have reps with, which I know in your case is bant. Don't do the day-before second guessing.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

My 4/0 FNMs records are almost exclusively the result of day before or, just as often, day of second guessing. I don't think I've ever brought a new deck for the first time and not 4/0d.

You are a bad influence! Everyone knows you never win anyway.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I saw a GW eldrazi deck that cut the karn package and was running 4 OUaT alongside the 4 stirrings. Not sure how I feel about cutting karns but finding temples and TKS's far faster and more consistent is cool, plus it lets you find stuff like knight of autumn when you need it. Still like the karn alt-plan for that deck but the card is very good.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

Yeah I'm not following what that would do against spirits

It prevents collected company from doing anything and that's it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mox Hombre posted:

Hey give me the link to the mtg goon discord thing, that one's expired. Man i just love the UG urza deck, it's really fun and also very powerful, has game against anything and is not so easy to hate out because it attacks from multiple angles. If anyone needs a modern deck to pick up, i highly recommend it. Here's my decklist currently, been having great success with it: https://deckstats.net/deck-21142329-1057053a1b86fac6796031cd9c33b4ad.html

https://discord.gg/SpSPkk

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I'm feeling lazy, but also wanna price check some of my MTG:A decks to build in person. Does anyone know if theres a website that lets me copy the deck Export feature of arena into an online store?

I could do it by hand, but theres like 3 decks I want to check and not have to search a ton of individual card names.

edit: this may have been the wrong magic thread, there are so many.

This thread is more for the eternal formats like modern/legacy/vintage and I forgot it existed until right now, nobody uses it anymore.

That said, if you can export the decklist from arena in a text file of some kind, you can upload the list to mtggoldfish and get a good general price of what it will cost, based on market prices. Price hunting will probably save you a few dollars from there.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I picked legacy up last week after not playing it for a few years, purely to try to qualify for this month's manatraders tournament online. Went with green 12 post and bullied my way into a 7-3 :toot: Really fun deck, elvish reclaimer is a sweet card.

Modern is pretty good at the moment, nothing ruining the format and a really solid variety of decks.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
It's always interesting to see people chatting about the active scene in their area. Legacy is completely dead around my city and we have several thriving shops. I sold almost all of my legacy stuff because the one weekly legacy night we had just petered out and died. Modern is very active here though, and pioneer was doing ok before Covid.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Credit where it's due for adapting after feedback. They used to have a "Mana-Hours" concept, where basically there was a cap on your rentals each month based on the value of the cards multiplied by the time you have them in your account, which was why I hadn't used them in the past.

They got rid of that and just ask nicely that you return the cards after you finish your event. It's a tiny bit tedious having to go add everything to your tradelist to return the cards, but it's a small price to pay to not have to commit a pile of money to a single deck. Otherwise, the actual trading back and forth takes no time, their bots are pretty efficient.

You don't have to add everything to your tradelist, just select the option when opening a trade that lets them look at your full collection and it will only select the cards they know you rented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

fadam posted:

What stops people from just running off with the cards once they're in their accounts? This isn't a :smug: gotcha thing, I'm legit curious what system they have in place to stop it.

Your paypal or credit card is attached to your account and gets automatically billed each month. You basically get pre-approved.