Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

5 minutes of "can you hear me"

after that they seem pretty cool and competent tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

went into the sprint meeting today with my new laptop

hooked it up to the TV and lady gaga came blasting out of the newly connected 72inch speakers.

Then I fumbled with the keyboard shortcut to mute audio - it was already indicating it was muted but a new device means that its on, so I pressed that like 3 times until I figured out that on meant off in this case.

My shame, heard in front of all my team.

This is technically an online meeting because 1 guy has to call in.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

sometimes you're the clusterfucker, other times the clusterfuckee

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

skype for business is ok if you only ever chat and teleconference.

never share files.

screen sharing is ok. this is just my expierience in a lil consulting firm of about ~30 people

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Shaggar posted:

I guarantee the chat sucking is an artifact of how it stores the chats: in your outlook pst and not in real time.

i mean drat just do persistent chat sessions on the server and display the last 10 messages whenever you reopen a chat w/ the client and load more if the user scrolls back. ez.

ahahahaha omg yea thats so bad i bet it is how it does it. thanks for the chat logs you rear end in a top hat

mishaq posted:

the chat is awful what the gently caress are you talking about

i bet it tries to establish as SIP call for each block of text and half the time it fails for some reason

its mind boggling how unreliably it delivers text

in my expierience, if I send an IM while somoene has a green dot next to their name then they get the message. if not, they get it via email hours later.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

for a while I would swap to hipchat if I wanted to try to bring a yosposy expierience to chat. it caught on with the team but it didnt stick.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

like with slack, I only use the web client for hipchat.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

mishaq posted:

half the time i send an IM in my company I get a spinny wheel and it never actually goes through

or it goes through and then i get a bounceback message a minute or two later saying it timed out or something

1-on-1 calls, group calls, screensharing and skype for business meeetings work almost flawlessly though :iiam:

lol that sounds like some idiot or some group of idiots set it up poorly

no idea how you do that, but I'm sure it can happen

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

thats a good quality

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/516/stuck-in-the-middle?act=1#play

you all should listen to this if you havent already. old man really likes this song

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 3, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Had an hour long meeting today via gotomeeting

4 of us in a conference room, 4 others each on their own webcam remote.

First computer crashes while Tech Director is mid sentence

Second computer, mine, kept loving dropping poo poo like screen share or webcame. If I wanted it back I had to restart which would mean the voice would go out.

We resorted to looking at spreadhsee that was pulled up on a local person ocmputer hahahaha There was tons of "hello" and clicking buttons to see if it would work. The new guy doesnt loving listen to well and doesn't notice that the room is getting irritated and was telling me to click THE loving BUTTON I ALREADY CLICKED, GOD drat PAY ATTENTION

Lol it was a good meeting.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Space Whale posted:

Why the gently caress are we using more arcane acronyms instead of "we broke a thing fix it"

Also the first thing I heard was "are you using the right version of $tool?"
I'm on undertow, isn't that the version we're using?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ugh, ms teams

its got skype for business fuckery in it in that i get 2 messages, one on each platform

vid is good tho

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

he old noc became a hidden conference room that you need retina scanner access to get to and its forbidden to bring anyone outside the dept to it
lol wanna work there

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol jump to the 15 minutes mark

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/601/master-of-her-domain-name

that defated "oh my god"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

quite stretched out posted:

the first thing that sprang to mind for me was that story about the googlex ceo getting lovely with silicon valley's writers because the googlex analogue wasnt "serious" enough, in a meeting that he wore rollerblades to

I got off a call earlier this week that my manager was also on and in the same room as me and I lamented to him about how I had to cut my workout short to help these dopes figure out SSO

lol, the gravitas of that didn't hit me until today. I guess I work at an ok place all things considered.

e: the call was terrible and the important person on the other end cut out about 1/5 the time.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Shaggar posted:

its really the best show

Uh, actually. It's tied with Insecure and Atlanta
:goonsay:

e: im the goonsay, just to be clear.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 14, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

chmods please posted:

someone had the idea to try Microsoft Teams for Business with my team. highlights:
  • notifications don't include the message text, just "<name> replied to your message"
  • intuitively, there's no notification at all when a file is shared in a channel
  • conversations in each channel are threaded, but the interface presents it as a chat room. so your instinct is to just type and go and then it makes a new thread
  • threads are displayed in the chat in the order of most recent message, so you'll have conversations spread out over multiple threads (see above) appear completely out of order
  • when you have a room open, you'll get bright, obnoxious notifications for activity in that same room showing up in the notifications area, but an almost imperceptible "New Messages" popup actually visible in the room
  • when that popup appears, it steals keyboard focus if you're typing

slack killer.

its got built in teleconferncing/video sharing which... ugh wahtever I wish slack had just added that because my company is moving to teams. I'm going to keep the slakc ghetto alive as a place to hang out (it's like my companies yospos), but god drat why didn't we just stay with loving skype for business then - it's the same thing?

e: oh wait, with teams you can just wander into existing/ongoing meetings so I guess there is that.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

chmods please posted:

so they claim it integrates with skype 4 biz. this is what actually happens:

1) someone starts a new one-on-one conversation in skype 4 biz
2) teams gets it first, and shows a new conversation notification in the lower right corner of the screen
3) s4b gets it a quarter second later and shows a new conversation request window in the lower right side of the screen, covering the one from teams
3a) if you click "accept" in s4b, it opens the conversation, and teams has no record of it existing
3b) if you click "reply" in teams, it opens the conversation, and s4b never sees it. however, it will show up on your skype 4 biz mobile app, and say that the conversation has been connected elsewhere

microsoft

same

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Iridium posted:

oh poo poo that reminds me

in addition to my company's general conference line like the webex / skype poo poo, our phone system has several dedicated conference lines. no special access code is needed, it's for emergencies: if there's a massive outage, you can dial into just a basic phone number from anywhere at all and be on the bridge. they're not commonly used now (short of super severe network emergencies), but when i first joined the company and worked in operations it was the standard. each time we had a critical outage, they'd send out the alert and one of us would have to hop on.

but this got to being a problem because absolutely everyone could call in, and the number would spread very quickly. the people trying to work on the issue would be trying to coordinate and do poo poo, but the 'problem manager' would want constant updates, and demand that everyone stop talking to update whatever other random middle manager hopped on and demanded info. as you'd expect, this became a complete clusterfuck, so they tried to implement a rule saying that people working the issue would be on line X, while anyone needing noncritical updates would have to call line Y, where the problem manager would pop over and provide updates. except guess what: the numbers never changed. so everyone would just call in to line X anyway and start making demands. on top of that, though, we discovered that in a few instances, former employees would call in for the hell of it now and then (there'd be something every day usually), with one that they discovered had been doing so for multiple years. a few managers freaked out but they didn't really have a way to stop him. he'd just sit and listen though so it's not like anyone cared.

around the time i switched out of operations it had become standard for people working the issue to call in to line X on their desk line, then just call one another on personal cell phones to actually coordinate work. we'd get yelled at for doing so because 'everything is supposed to be open so nobody who might have a solution is left out'. didn't stop anyone.

lol

have you guys read the pheonix project? this sounds like a silicon valley version of what could be taken out of the early part of the book

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the narrator in phenix project def came off as a whiny martyr, and it sometimes lacked self awareness, but the book did have some good stuff in it. not narrative wise really - the book isnt really about characters. its just a way to lay out how to improve on a situation

mishaq posted:

wot does this mean

devops means to loving work together to deploy poo poo instead of siloing stuff. Developers ship, deployers deploy, and everyone is feeding info back to each other so they know what the gently caress is going on or coming up

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

mishaq posted:

i mean i hear the term "devops" all the time but it doesn't seem to have any agreed upon meaning so i am curious what the gently caress a company that sells "devops" to other companies sells it as
this is true. its even looser than scrum/agile/kanban

mishaq posted:

i like your explanation
namaste

The money shot of the book is if you get your middle and higher managers to read it, then hopefully they'll start making the org run smoother. the book also re-affirms that developers are spineless pussies and should buck up a lil

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 24, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i spent most of my video call today on mute petting my cat
This is probably what my support guy was doing while I figured out that the sr microsoft engineer client was using some outdated port of putty and trying to cURL to my API and failing at SSL checks

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

prefect posted:

this sucks when you're a person who likes to get to meetings early :mad:

lol if you aren't constantly late to meetings because you are busy/finishing up your previous meeting

if you're early then it means you aint important

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Black hole sun and while my guitar gently weeps sound pretty similiar too. The westworld version of black hole sun,. that is

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

ahhh memories:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g4dkBF5anU

* chat window * : hey, I dialed in but I'm not the owner and the admin is out, did anyone else setup a call for this meeting?
This reminds me of a weird bug that I had on a webex - me and the client logged in at exactly the same time I guess and instead of recognizing us as two different people it merged us into one (under his name) but gave his client all the admin permissions of the call and treated me as a normal viewer. So I couldn't do poo poo to control the meeting. We both had to leave and come back

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

ive never heard of this being successful at any company but also who the gently caress drinks three sodas a day

I'm gonna make up my pay deficit in soda consumption

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 8, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A lot I bet

Then you consider where that coffee came from and if it's fair trade or not :smith:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

slack has been around for a couple years, so its not just a 2016 bubble

It also seems to do well across diff platforms, like the previous poster says. It seems to be basically irc with a web ui which is already way better than skype/lync

I logged into slack today, its a ghost town now that teams came around, and they finally added video chat. loving, thats the only reason we went with teams! we only committed to teams like a month ago. im so bummed

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

my company is rolling out a hybrid/homebrewed EOS and teal combo

the "barely able to grasph slack" chat and other stuff reminded me of this. fuckin check that poo poo out and lol

one of the teal books cites valve as a good example - whcih i like valve and their org structure but you gotta be real picky about who you hire into the club for it to work luckly we are only 25 people big so we can do culty poo poo like this and get the koolaid to taste p good to everyone involved

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

googled it to see how hard it is to find info and woweee. its like dr ford is giving motivational speaches to management

quote:

The most exciting breakthroughs of the twenty-first century will not occur because of technology, but because of an expanding concept of what it means to be human.
John Naisbitt

The Teal paradigm refers to the next stage in the evolution of human consciousness.[1] When applied to organizations, this paradigm views the organization as an independent force with its own purpose, and not merely as a vehicle for achieving management's objectives. Teal organizations are characterized by self-organization and self-management. The hierarchical "predict and control" pyramid of Orange is replaced with a decentralized structure consisting of small teams that take responsibility for their own governance and for how they interact with other parts of the organization. Assigned positions and job descriptions are replaced with a multiplicity of roles, often self-selected and fluid. People’s actions are guided not by orders from someone up the chain of command but by ‘listening’ to the organization’s purpose. Unlike the highly static nature of Amber, Orange and Green organizations, the organizational structure in Teal is characterized by rapid change and adaptation, as adjustments are continuously made to better serve the organization's purpose.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol, im in the bc/dr industry

we do mostly bc though - but given what the consultants come around asking me for tips on their dr projects makes sense with what irridum just posted

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i call coca cola lemonade a heuh ehuh

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

had a 7 person remote meeting today. agenda was tight and the connections were all good.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Been working with ms teams for a couple weeks now and holy poo poo - its becoming progressively more laggy day by day, chat message by chat message

we had a 160+ reply thread and it was like playing Crisys on High settings on an XP machine

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

We were getting like 5 fps on a loving chat app

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

mishaq posted:

no

we just activated teams on our o365 subscription

more people are using it compared to the rouge slack we also have, but it's just a shittier slack

emoticons/gifs/images take up an enormous amount of room on screen and don't auto collapse so conversations get really difficult to follow

and every god drat message in a chat room gets an enormous reply button under it

wait til you get more than 5 messages in a teams channel - the thing crawls to like 10 fps for a loving chat application

its the god drat worse. i didnt think it would get badder, but they managed to gently caress up performance on a friggen chat app!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Theres got ta be an easier way!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

wtf are you talking about, you can't display inline gifs, or even pngs/jpgs, in a teams chat.

My computer is an i7 with 16gb of ram, I'm not imagining it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

In teams?? Microsoft Teams has a giphy extension?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Big feature met its deadline after a hard weekend and we had a 6 person video conference about it today where only 1 dev had lovely internet and that was only for a moment.

I felt bad when, in an effort to get a better signal as I asked him to do, he went into his living room - webcam running blair witch style - and told his kids to get out of the living room cuz he needs it.

felt like a big yelly man inside of the screen

lol :smith:

• Locked thread