Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Cat Face Joe posted:

hi the webex isn't working for me, one of 30 people, can we please waste a lot of time attending to my needs

this is my boss, more or less daily

also someone joined the conference call 5 minutes late, boss asks to restart demo to make sure everyone is up to speed.

then that person also has webex problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
bump because it's happening again.

edit- it's a sprint review meeting one of our vendors is hosting. apparently my boss, a former PM, told them to use that old PM trick of "add everyone to the email thread until someone solves your problem out of frustration."

as a result, one of the "stakeholders" that got included has 1) never heard of agile development and didn't know what a sprint is, 2) hadn't heard we were redoing this website at all and has never seen any of this before, 3) wants to review each bit of the section for which she is nominally stakeholding, and now 4) is questioning the whole approach of this multi-year rebuild of our employee intranet portal

this is without getting into the tech issues they've introduced here.

... boss is now having to explain the concept of SSO to her, which we've done with this application for a decade now.

Iridium fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 28, 2016

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
15 minutes in to the meeting, two of the participants are having trouble figuring out how to connect via Skype. a third called in directly but couldn't see any of the visuals. boss is trying to walk them through dialing in via email, and is giving them bad info.

the trouble is perhaps in part because they've mandated we move to skype for business but the configuration doesnt' allow people outside our network to connect.

this includes people at our divisions, such as in their HQ a mile up the road.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
so following up my company's turndown of our webex, boss went back and kicked and screamed until he got his back with the evidence of that hosed up Skype meeting in hand.

this morning he asked me to spend a few minutes helping him test it, just the two of us.

it took three separate meeting invites, two attempts to call in, and then it broke when he tried to record some of it to make sure that was working.

gently caress me.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it almost sounds like using teamspeak would be more foolproof than most of these "business" products

I want to love this idea but god, trying to explain teamspeak or mumble to anyone at manager level or up is probably some kind of sysphean nightmare

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
the guy on this call with the truly grating voice is also on speakerphone in his car, and not muting it.

it is making my teeth hurt.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
we have a guy in my office that I call wordydev.

wordydev has been with us for ages now and he's loving brilliant, great guy to work with. company has worked hard to keep him on hand and rightly so.

wordydev has a problem though, in that he's the God King of explainer-land. he starts covering a concept and feels like he has to go way the gently caress down the rabbithole trying to explain to everyone with no regard whatsoever to the need to explain it, or the need that it be understood. room full of business peeps so he can hear what they need doing? he'll start explaining how he'll do it down to the code level while they get bored or wander off to get coffee. this is such an issue that he told me once it was part of his annual performance objectives to try to stop pulling that poo poo. didn't work.

the problem is much, much larger when he's not there in person to pick up on the cues that he's going on too long, making conference calls a chore. few people are willing to remote-mute his line when he goes off on one of these tangents, and because he's busy talking, he rarely hears people shouting to tell him to stop, we got it.

a few weeks ago, wordydev went to working 100% remote.

:smithicide:

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
we all call in to a Skype meeting. one of our PMs announces on the line that she's unable to get into the skype meeting.

that she is on, to tell us this.

update- boss running the skype followed this by closing down the whole meeting while trying to pass control to someone else.

he's giving up and trying to use his old Webex instead. this may not work, given that the office is trying to shut all of those down

update2- indeed, that didn't work. they're using the skype texting to coordinate everyone on the fuckery. one of our division people us offering to use his bridge instead which I imagine my boss, the poster child of insecure, low-T middle managers everywhere, won't want to admit to needing to use.

Iridium fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 19, 2016

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Shaggar posted:

old people will never be able to figure out conference calls because they don't understand the core concept of buttons in the meeting application vs buttons on the phone.

with a strong correlation to why they can't give up on voicemail

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Arcsech posted:

People don't read email

Like, ever as near as I can tell

i do, but then i only acknowledge the ones that need actual input, instead of succumbing to the vast reply-all chains that our PMs put together in the ancient PM-fu method of adding more and more people to your reply-all mess until someone solves your problem out of pity or annoyance

because if you give in to them, they won't stop.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Raged posted:

Has anyone hunted down and killed the person/team that came up with the term "webinar" yet? That would brighten my work day.

same

the word webinar on its own is in my auto block list to catch all the loving spam i get offering them.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

qntm posted:

I like that the Cisco join beep and the drop beep sound almost exactly the same

and yet think of all the times where conference bridges with different beeps still cause someone to ask "who just joined?" when someone clearly dropped, pausing the meeting to wait for several seconds and, sometimes, for the person to ask again

speaking to the ghost of conference callers past

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Iridium posted:

update- boss running the skype followed this by closing down the whole meeting while trying to pass control to someone else.

he's giving up and trying to use his old Webex instead. this may not work, given that the office is trying to shut all of those down

update2- indeed, that didn't work. they're using the skype texting to coordinate everyone on the fuckery. one of our division people us offering to use his bridge instead which I imagine my boss, the poster child of insecure, low-T middle managers everywhere, won't want to admit to needing to use.

quoting myself here cuz this all just happened again, except replace boss with project manager, and instead of 'one of our division people' use 'one of our tech vendors'

perhaps the PM needs to run a lessons learned meeting after each meeting

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Thanks Ants posted:

same but every meeting

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
we need some kind of general corporation fuckery thread cuz i just learned about a massive clusterfuck a-brewing that's unfortunately not online meeting related

sure is resulting in a bunch of them tho.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
that moment you realize you can recognize who called in to the bridge by what background noise they add without thinking to mute it

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
the formal announcement was just made: our Webex poo poo gets turned off on the 30th and after that everyone will be required to use Skype for web conferencing.

which, as I've stated a few times before, appears not to permit people outside of our company (including people at our divisions) from seeing the screen share stuff... a massive problem for a parent company IT department that coordinates with our divisions and outsourced developers all day, every day.

i have to admit, all day i've been in a pretty deep pit of depression, but i am now very nearly gleeful at being able to witness the upcoming and inevitable freakout as all online meetings across the whole organization become total clusterfucks.

valar morgulis

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Thanks Ants posted:

skype for business online works fine for that, sorry about your lovely messaging team

thanks, it's a daily struggle but i do what i can to keep my chin up

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
one of my coworkers hasn't gotten the memo about the office shutting down Webex, so i'm sitting on hold with the old bridge for perhaps that last time.

she hasn't disabled the warcrime-level bad music on it.

i'm almost glad to be able to say goodbye to this pile of musical shite.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
Welcome to the <company> conferencing center. Please enter your passcode, followed by the pound or hash sign.

Please wait while I verify your passcode.

Thank you. If you are the most of this call please press star now.

The host has not yet arrived. Everyone will hear music until the host joins the meeting.

<ultracheesy jazz bullshit>

Changing track for a moment, the trains at Atlanta's airport used to (before the Olypmics) have this bitchin cylon robot voice that I wish it still had, and moreso, wish I could have as my version of Siri, conference call bridge lady, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOZX2xa9OhI

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
we opened the meeting with someone unable to join the presentation, and then quickly switched gears so that a PM that didn't call this meeting could ask a question and get a clarification on something from a meeting earlier in the morning.

we have 10 minutes to go and have not addressed the purpose of this meeting.

edit- 8 minutes to go and we are now basically rescheduling this meeting.

Iridium fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 23, 2016

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
update: our external venders are still entirely unable to join the skype conferences we send out.

i dunno if anyone's actually pointed this out to the messaging team but it's also not my problem so

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Captain Foo posted:

sorry i just got here can you repeat that

can you... hang on can you

no no wait i think we

you're breaking up a little can i

i think i heard someone saying something

no, go ahead

if i could just

who was that speaking just then?

did someone just join the call?

sorry i was on mute, what i meant to say was

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
well here's a different kind of conference clusterfuck

when you're set as 'do not disturb' on skype it usually pops up a warning for the sender, and then if they send anywya it goes to email. but it's one email per message.

so today i'm set as do not distrub while i present on screen and one of my project managers decides to start bashing out a novel at me, ignoring the warnings. so i get email popups in rapid succession for each of the below until i close outlook.

"hi"
"hey <iridium>"
"whats up"
"dave told me to..."
"do you have time today to..."
"i have to go over the..."

gently caress.

edit- took a moment to bash out a "hey i'm DnD, plz just type this up as an email for me and i can answer it later". i guess this is too much to comprehend and she's gone radio silent.

Iridium fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 12, 2016

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
loving computing kids these days

i blame the decline of DOS. back in our day we didn't have fancy rear end UXs making us soft. we were lucky to have /help and we were thankful

and i say all of that completely unironically.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
"so do we have any update on this issue? i can't reproduce it myself"
"ok so the problem is that..."
"cuz didn't we go to a single node?"
"... yeah but that's not what we..."
"and i mean we need to get to the root of this one"
"right so what's happening is that..."
"i just dont want it to get lost"
"yeah and i'm tryin ta..."
"so if we can get an update that'd be good."

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

indigi posted:

why would you even answer, just say the wedding was somewhere with no reception. say it was an underwater wedding

for real, everyone should know their nearest beauty spot without decent reception and use it all the time.

i can't tell you how many events i attend "up in the north Georgia mountains. Beautiful area, you ever been up there?"

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
back when i was in our operations team they gave me a phone and i'd leave it locked in a drawer when i went off on vacation, but when i moved over to my current role of doing useless poo poo they took it away. Except people still needed to call all the time because it took 3 years for my replacement to get up to speed, so a handful of people started leaking my personal contact information around.

this came to a head when a project manager not on any projects I'm involved in got a hold of my personal email and started sending poo poo to that. she got a hell of a chewing out from the people who were desperate that i not block them all entirely

a couple years on from that, tho, and i haven't had an out of hours call in ages. sucks to be anyone in ops, tho.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
infosec is the realm of a sort of hive-mind autism.

"god, users, rite? it's not like this is difficult stuff!" <sets a mandatory 32 character password limit changed weekly, installs monitoring software that prevents windows core services from running, blocks facebook at work cuz that one girl totally friendzoned them there once>

edit- also, countdown to UMM, ACTUALLY replies

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
i think i'm going to randomly start shaming some of my coworkers for "ITsplaining".

i mean partly some of them definitely do so from that condescending place, but also because gently caress communication with peers.

edit- scrum call. boss asks inane question, wordydev starts ITsplaining at him. Click.

Iridium fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 7, 2016

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
PM: "So let's go over the list of issues here, item 1 is that we still need the stakeholders to come up with the name that we're going to build the site around. Raj, we tasked with that one, any updates?"

Raj: "I'm sorry, I missed the question?"

PM :<repeats>

Raj: "Ah, I think that was one for Christine as she handles the relationship."

PM: "Ok. Christine?"

Christine: "I'm sorry, was that for me? Can you repeat the question?"

PM: <repeats>

Christine: "Oh I think they were working with Melissa on that..."

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Migishu posted:

PM: I swear to god if I have to repeat the question one more time I'm pulling funding from the entire project and you're all loving fired

- me, if I was PM

while i was about to cough up some details about good old Roy here, it occurred to me I didn't even share his crowning moment.

every meeting he rolls up, calls into the conference bridge, and clicks the skype links in his own meeting invite to open the screen sharing.

for unclear reasons today the link just wouldn't click. Outlook wouldn't activate it. he kept on trying, getting increasingly frustrated at it. i tried to walk him through basic concepts like "right click, copy URL, and try throwing it in a browser", but this was too aggravatingly niggly for him to do.

after a while he gave up and spent the rest of the meeting openly salty about this, bitching about it at least once every ten minutes.

Roy is a contractor who's been with us since like february. he's here because the previous PM, who was pretty good as PMs go, left the company. she was a contractor too but had been offered a full time position. she liked the company, lived two miles away, she said it'd be awesome. she declined explicitly because she refused to keep working with my boss. a very similar secnario happened with another contractor at the same time: she had a 15 minute commute and the office is right near her kid's school, perfect for pickups. she declined for the same reason.

those two had in turn replaced previous contractors who... well whatever, there's a trend here.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
atlanta loving owns and they can't cough up more of them fast enough.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Cat Face Joe posted:

last job we got one of those big fancy interactive white boards and only the summer interns were trained how to use it. years it went completely unused covered in the wrong kind of marker

we have two of those. One is in our "Innovation Lab", which means fancy conference room with Ikea furniture that is also not on the normal IT floor, and is covered in signs not to use normal markers on it and to see such-and-such for training. it goes untouched.

the other is in a small, unlisted conference room. exactly one person in the org, who was the evangelist for them in the first place, knows how to use it and does so. facilities otherwise painted the back wall of that room in whiteboard paint, so everyone else uses that.

when that guy does have a session in there, everyone who's never seen it in use before oohs and aahs at it, and then ignores it.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

FrozenVent posted:

what the gently caress is the point of yammer

microsoft moneygrab for dumb execs who decided that since they can't keep people off facebook all day they might as well make it a work-facebook, without understanding that the last loving people you want to interact with on facebook is coworkers.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

we have yammer at work. it's run by and consists of the marketing team almost exclusively outside of a few directors and upper levels that took pity on their group and joined in. no one else uses it.

ours got set up a few years ago and they were scrambling to set rules on it not long afterwards (2012, lol). we replaced it with Jive last year which lets the internal marketing people handle news stories and poo poo a little better but it still gets very little use.

when we went to shut down yammer we were told we can't because apparently the financials department had REALLY taken to it, and were the only people to post more than a message a month in the whole time it was live.

but speaking of outdated technologies, i just submitted a request to our telecomm people to ask if they can just turn my loving voicemail off. my boss cannot loving let go of VM, no matter how many times I've told him it's a waste of time and it slows me down in getting him a response. got another 2 minute long one last night that i just loving deleted. hopefully they'll let me shut it off and force the issue, though i expect the answer will be no.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Elysiume posted:

half of my coworkers can't remember their voicemail PINs and have had voicemails for months

can't remember the pin is probably normal around here, but we never miss that we have a voicemail.

because it emails it to us immediately, i think as a wav file. which to be frank is way more convenient than most voicemail systems, because i can just delete it along with all the other spam without having to dial into a drat thing.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

FrozenVent posted:

hi, you've reached frozenvent's voicemail

if this is urgent, hang the gently caress up and call my cell

if it's not urgent send me a loving email.

otherwise go gently caress yourself after the beep

beeeeep

this is in essence what my VM greeting says. problem is, for the old types in the office that need that voice chat capability, they know the key to skip the greeting and go straight to leaving a message, so they never hear it anyway.

because they're impatient, which is ironic as gently caress because this is guaranteed to take longer for me or anyone to get back to them.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
celebratory update: our telecomms people have agreed to set up my VM box to play a message (which i will record to tell people to gently caress off) and then not let them leave a message.

i feel more productive already.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Bloody posted:

in a conference call just now starting

already had some random person call in

ah good our line is double booked lmao

oh poo poo that reminds me

in addition to my company's general conference line like the webex / skype poo poo, our phone system has several dedicated conference lines. no special access code is needed, it's for emergencies: if there's a massive outage, you can dial into just a basic phone number from anywhere at all and be on the bridge. they're not commonly used now (short of super severe network emergencies), but when i first joined the company and worked in operations it was the standard. each time we had a critical outage, they'd send out the alert and one of us would have to hop on.

but this got to being a problem because absolutely everyone could call in, and the number would spread very quickly. the people trying to work on the issue would be trying to coordinate and do poo poo, but the 'problem manager' would want constant updates, and demand that everyone stop talking to update whatever other random middle manager hopped on and demanded info. as you'd expect, this became a complete clusterfuck, so they tried to implement a rule saying that people working the issue would be on line X, while anyone needing noncritical updates would have to call line Y, where the problem manager would pop over and provide updates. except guess what: the numbers never changed. so everyone would just call in to line X anyway and start making demands. on top of that, though, we discovered that in a few instances, former employees would call in for the hell of it now and then (there'd be something every day usually), with one that they discovered had been doing so for multiple years. a few managers freaked out but they didn't really have a way to stop him. he'd just sit and listen though so it's not like anyone cared.

around the time i switched out of operations it had become standard for people working the issue to call in to line X on their desk line, then just call one another on personal cell phones to actually coordinate work. we'd get yelled at for doing so because 'everything is supposed to be open so nobody who might have a solution is left out'. didn't stop anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

mishaq posted:

lmao what kind of clown operation do you work at

a corporation on target to hit $20bil this year, with subsidiaries that most of you have heard of and many of you use on a daily basis. but we're the parent company, so since we don't have actual revenue targets to drive a goddamn thing, we're an incestuous cesspool of stupidity (but with loving great benefits and pay, because the divisions keep meeting our financial targets lol)

• Locked thread