Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
We've got a small group set up for casual mp fights that anyone can join if they're interested. We've been doing some 3v3/4v4 matches against each other and randoms who join the lobby. It's been a lot of fun so far and more fun that single player because you're actually fighting against equal or better armies that I haven't seen yet in single player. There may not be as many matches going on right now since hoi4 came out and most of us play that but here's the discord room we're using if anyone wants to join:

https://discord.gg/0136Ht28l4ZMDBCIv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Yukitsu posted:

I'm going to fling out what I'm thinking of right now and want to hear what people think about the rules. I'll have them finalized by Monday based on feedback and I'll have the brackets ready for the 8th.

As one of the people who signed up (Sammvt on steam) all this sounds great to me.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
There's a discord a few of us have been using to organize a few casual matches that anyone can join, you can use it to organize the tournament too if you want so you don't have to make a new one:

https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
If you want the easiest possible no effort way to beat undead you can do the current mp fad:

These are the last 3 battles I've fought and each one starts the same way. Overcasting missiles from a flying mount seems to kill generals in one hit. Still won 2/3 of these battles but against AI this will swing any fight but I don't know why people think doing that's fun. It was pretty fun to play hide and seek with the person who brought nothing but flying bright wizards and empire captains until their leadership ran out and broke. The sad thing is it could've worked if he split them up and kept harrasing me while shooting me with missiles but he kept them all in one group so I just had to run one unit to one corner and the rest to the opposite corner.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Yukitsu posted:

That's ironic, since my magic missiles always seem to require about 10 overcasts to kill a general assuming I hit even a single drat one.

Are they from flying mounts? Every time I see a general get hit by one from the air it nearly instakills them and for VC it makes them start to crumble because in the first picture Mannfred has -111 leadership from damage sustained and 200 health from just one gaze of nagash from a mannfred on the zombie dragon. The bright wizard's missiles have the same effect. It may be that the ranged damage from being above the enemy that's supposed to be for things like archers on hills is applying to flying units in a weird way.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Also a slightly less bullshit way to kill the enemy general if you're the empire is luminarks. They're really good at sniping high value targets now, too good probably.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 4, 2016

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

I've found that (at least on Easy) the AI is weird about taking settlements at all. I'm currently farting around the Badlands as Franz trying to help the Dwarves get back on their Feet (and also get Ghal Maraz) and they are barely even looking at razed settlements. Hell, they're sitting and sieging empty orc settlements with a full-banner Thorgrim army.

I don't know if this is just the difficulty making the AI stupid or if CA has weighted taking settlements as too difficult and resettling as too expensive.

In my long legendary VC campaign I cleared out most of the badlands except for one little tribe of greenskins because they had vampiric influence. Eventually they resettled the whole southern area and then went on a rampage against the empire. The empire will also start to re-colonize the north after chaos tears it up if you let them. They just don't do it very quickly.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Double Bill posted:

Goddamn loving poo poo I hate Chaos as VCs. Archaeon always tunnel visions me hard, and by the third wave they have so high tier units I need to have three full stacks to their one to have a chance. Also garrisons do nothing when they just run past them and go razing the weaker settlements.

In my VC campaigns the first thing I would do is unify Sylvania and then sack towns around it to build tier 2 garrison buildings in all of Sylvania. Would usually have everything walled off around turn 20. When Chaos has to stop and siege your cities that's when you lightning strike them. I beat all 7 of these chaos stacks with only 2 of my own. What I did was sit one army in Eschen and one in Waldenhof. When they would send 3 stacks at a time to siege Waldenhof I'd send the Kemmler out from Eschen and lightning strike one of the stacks. After you kill one stack then you have 2 full stacks and your garrison vs. 2 of their stacks. The two stacks will probably run away at that point, hopefully in different directions and you can use the stack from Waldenhof to pick one of them off. You can repeat until Chaos is weak enough to chase down and destroy. If you're having trouble beating even 1 chaos army then your army composition may need some tweaking.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Luminarks are great for assassinating enemy generals or heroes. Especially useful against the VC.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Killed by my own bray herd. Not sure if this is a bug or some feature I missed.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Asmodai_00 posted:

My brayherd just stabbed me in the back and wiped out my horde, ending my campaign.

I don't even know what the gently caress

Were you using the beast path? I had one of my brayherds intercept my main horde that was weakened after a battle and because I was in beast path there was no option to run.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah the mini campaign and grand campaign achievements are reversed and some or all of these are broken or they wouldn't still be at 0% I assume

0%
Maze of Torment, Maze of Death
Construct a Cursed Labyrinth in one of your hordes.

0%
Eye for a Ruinous Eye
Playing as Beastmen, win the Eye for an Eye challenge campaign.

0%
Surprise! You're Dead...
Playing as Beastmen, win 10 ambush battles during a single campaign.

0%
The Long War, the Endless Hunt
Playing as Beastmen, have a raiding income of 6,000.

0%
Through the Skin to the Soul
Playing as Beastmen, recruit a Cygor to one of your armies.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Just got a good graphics card for the first time in my life. Never realized how happy the vargheists look till now

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

rockopete posted:

Someone upthread asked what Bestigors are good for, and that is manning siege towers. Lots of armor, no need for vanguard deployment. I keep 2 units in my army and use Gors in any remaining towers.

I'm not sure I understand you here, what do you mean by embed?

I don't think I even built siege towers as the beastmen. They're so good at breaking down the gate and then punching a hole right through whatever is standing on the other side so that your whole army can pour in.

I'd say if you're fighting the dwarves or chaos then having a few bestigor herds might help but overall you're better off going with cheaper units backed up by things like minotaurs, giants and bullgores or just going all out on minotaurs, giants and bullgores.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I remember one campaign where the empire and half of the other human factions sent stacks to help Kislev and wiped out chaos before they got rolling. I was the VC and after that it was pretty much impossible because I was the only bad guy left on the map and they all came for me next. Every other campaign I've played chaos razes the north practically unopposed and by that point the Empire has a tough time stopping them.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 7, 2016

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Chaos invaded here at turn 140. The empire and all the electors are already dead and so is Bretonnia. Beastmen doing it for themselves.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I think because they only start at war with the empire and middenland they go straight for the mountain pass to Helmgart every time, at least in all mine so far.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Bogarts posted:

Blowing up the walls also takes way too long and now that the towers can shoot all the way across the map waiting for your artillery to take out a wall will make you take a ton of damage.

From what I've seen the towers go for whatever's closest/only go for the artillery if there's not a closer target so as long as you use some cannon fodder and keep them in tower range it should be fine.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Atlanton posted:

Any suggestions for dealing with ranged cavalry as Vampire Counts?

Dire wolves and bats just get murdered without ever reaching their target.

Didn't see anyone answer this. You should try Vargheist. They should manage.

Mukip posted:

I'll do it, then! Mukip's Grand Tournament sign ups begin now. Let's give it a week.

So far it looks like we have:
*Mukip
*Asmodai_00
*Vox Nihili
*Yukitsu
*Mr. Wookums
*Obstacle2
*Triskelli
*rockopete
*ZearothK
*Kaza42

Oh yeah, I'm banning double healing potions.

I'll give it another go
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Sammvt

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I've decided I don't know how to fight battles with Orcs..

Trying to do actual combat with orcs against dwarves and I lose half my army with a 75/25% split.

Then autoresolve is like 5% losses..

I mean, I march my guys up, archers first, start peppering, charge my orcs up to meet their warriors, flank from the sides with black orcs and orc boys and pepper their quarrellers with rock lobbers/doom divers but still getting just stomped hard.

It sounds like you're doing everything right. I think it's just that the dwarf infantry is way better than greenskin infantry in the early tiers. I just started my first greenskin campaign and beat the dwarf faction but with each victory most of my boyz would be decimated. You just need more stacks than them and waaghs and try to isolate their stacks. Consolidate and re-raise some of the more wounded boyz after each fight and you should be able to wear them down. e: (although be careful about consolidating troops and dropping below the minimum amount for a waagh if you already have one up, not sure if that disbands the waagh but I didn't want to test it)

Was able to vassalize them around turn 35. Destroying them is one of the objectives and I'm not sure if they can still confederate/will betray me eventually but I like that I was able to break them enough that they're now my vassal.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 11, 2016

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
The rules last time seemed to work pretty well. Everyone posted a list of the 5 factions they'd use in order so that there's no faction counter picking and you couldn't have more than 6 of one unit, max 2 cavalry skirmishers, max 3 heroes including your Lord and maybe a few other restrictions on builds, can't remember exactly.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

I tried to refresh my steam invite to you since it seemed like you didn't see it but now every time I try again it says error adding friend so I guess you have to invite me.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
https://www.dropbox.com/s/epk2c2d20s757ok/round%201%20sammut%20v%20guderian.replay?dl=0 Sammut v Guderian Round 1, VC v Empire
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzg4i60szmvlggm/round%202%20sammut%20v%20guderian.replay?dl=0 Round 2, Beastmen v Dwarves
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei8cynaxh888qg9/round%203%20sammut%20v%20guderian.replay?dl=0 Round 3, VC v Beastmen

Well played to Guderian.

For some commentary, I would say Round 1 don't want to bring 3 cannons against VC. VC have no artillery or range so they usually have no choice but to rush you anyways so artillery generally won't have long enough to shoot to pay for themselves. One cannon can be good just to apply some pressure and force them to be aggressive and maybe over-aggressive and make a mistake. Luminarks can be a good artillery piece against VC though as being able to pop vampire lords is pretty useful for beating them (although it was nerfed 50% damage so maybe it's not that good now, haven't used it since the patch).

Round 2 was down to the wire. Was my first time playing beastmen against dwarves and made some poor unit choices (ungors, should've went for armor piercing instead), used my minotaurs poorly (shouldn't have rushed them in first, forgot with their high speed they'd lead the way) and could've targeted my cygors more efficiently at certain points. Good use of runes to wear my beastman army out.

Round 3 I had a feeling after seeing my beastman army of mostly weaker units go down in flames that this time it would be a punchier minotaur centered build so I picked based on countering that so this would've been a very difficult win for the beastmen.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
*Max one summon creature spell per army

Does that mean you can't summon a cygor and a manticore or that you can only summon once?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Here's the sammut v zonin replays:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oacs6tq49osk97r/sammut%20v%20zonin.rar?dl=0

So the losers of the winners bracket will play the winners of the losers (winners at life) bracket?

Game 1 - Empire v Greenskins
Game 2 - VC v Bretonnia

I think the first round may have been the closest game of the tournament so far.

Round two I thought I was being clever by picking Hell Fenn since the swamp would slow down the fight so my zombie horde would last longer and tire the enemy out while my vargheists got rear charges in but the swamp worked against me when the Bretonnian army started all the way in the back with artillery. Zombies are already slow and the swamp is -80% movement speed so I rushed my air units over to stop the trebuchets and (try) to kill louen leoncoeur but I guess I underestimated him and overestimated the vargheists and he swatted them down and after that I didn't have much left.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 18, 2016

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

wiegieman posted:

I was waiting for a wind of death that whole second fight, it would have creamed that infantry line.

Honestly, I just don't think you can take any air against brets. Louen and pegasus knights plus their bowmen is something that goes in every decent bret army so they can all fight air. Maybe terrorgeists, since they have anti large?

I opted to go for gaze of nagash instead to try to kill louen. It almost worked, I hit him a few times and would've been able to pop him if not for starting with 4-5 winds of magic. If I took my time and built up winds of magic instead of rushing in and was able to kill him at the start it might've gone a lot differently but I rushed in too quickly. And yeah, in retrospect I shouldn't have tried to use a death from above build against Bretonnia but I thought that just having an overwhelming amount of air (2 flying heroes, 5 vargheist coming in behind bats) would've been enough to overwhelm a Bretonnian air force unless it had a lot of pegasus knights. When I saw just the two flying units I thought I'd be able to kill them, pull back and heal and then rear charge when the zombies arrived but Louen and the Pegasus knights survived.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Doctor Schnabel posted:

I read somewhere that the quality of undead available via raise dead is affected both by the number of bodies you drop and the number of recruitment buildings you have in your empire. Is that true? If so, does anyone know how significant the latter effect is? If I have like 4 provinces worth of troop building chains in my empire, will I come across grave guards and black knights and oh boy oh boy maybe a varghulf in battle sites that feature a couple thousand corpses? Because I did a little trial run of the viet cong the other day and the best I found in a site that size was some ghouls and dogs, which was just :sad:

I've been able to raise black coaches (can't wait for a patch that makes them even slightly worth it) and terrorgheist around turn 20 after a very bloody siege in places with no buildings. I haven't tested it but I've started the VC campaign over a lot and haven't noticed buildings having any impact. When I'd get to the point where my infrastructure in Sylvania was built up enough that I want to start making grave guard the core of my army I'd start throwing my stacks of zombies and skeletons at walls and intentionally barely winning and would usually get high tiers units after that. It can be finicky though in what it gives you.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 20, 2016

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Atlanton posted:

On Legendary, I'm finding the VC strategic side of things to be super simple, but am still struggling on the battle side of things.

I just really don't understand undead leadership and how I should be taking advantage of it. I feel like all of my skeletons are wavering within the first minute of melee, even against basic infantry. Even my elite units have incredibly mediocre leadership in a sustained melee. The vampire lords kick rear end, but they can only do so much before their army routs around them and then they rout even though they're regenerating and at max health...

Do I just need to win harder on the campaign map?

Are you using overcast invocation of nehek? It AOE heals so if your warriors are wavering it'll raise their leadership since damage lowers leadership it'll help delay crumbling. It's also good to get the leadership buffs on your lords relatively early. Usually you win the early battles with zombies/skeleton warriors/spearmen just through sheer numbers. Surround the enemy, pick away at them with your elite units and use nehek to heal those units and charge them at once from all directions. Adding wolves and bats to your armies is also pretty useful early on. Even if they don't seem good at fighting they have their roles. Bats can interrupt charges or distract missiles units/kill siege units and wolf charges to the back can help turn the infantry fight and can make sure that running enemies don't come back to the fight.

For the campaign map, I've found that simultaneously getting walls up in all of Sylvania as quickly as you can and getting at least one stack that's a core of grave guard should see you through the early/mid game. You can unite Sylvania in around ~6-7 turns with the right moves and then can sack the dwarves to your south/east or the empire provinces to the west and invest the souls you get from sacking into building up walls and recruitment buildings in Sylvania.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 20, 2016

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

JacksAngryBiome posted:

If using an all-goblin army in quick battle is wrong then I don't want to be right. A shaman lord for the buffs, two big bosses on spiders, two arachnaroks, plenty of goblin spears to use as ablative armor. Then add some night goblins, spider/wolf riders, and artillery for flavor. It actually works really well. And even better than winning with an all-goblin army is knowing your opponent lost to one.

Yesterday in a quick battle my opponent brought the goblin shaman lord, 3 goblin spider bosses, 1 goblin wolf rider, 5 goblin wolf archers, 5 goblin spider archers and 2 arachnarok spiders. If I hadn't brought flying units that were able to catch them it might've worked.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Do you have a replay? I'd like to see this. It seems too heavy on the ranged cavalry.

Against ground armies I use masses of goblins to soak any charges, then roll in the spiders and big bosses. This gets harder against flyers, I lost pretty handily to a Bretonian army with a large number of flyers that was able to pounce on my positioning mistakes. Since then I've been using goblin spider riders with spears to tie up any flying units that land, and having more success. If you can keep them on the ground or at least slow down the cycle charge it really helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9pil9g89p3ccw8/VC%20v%20Greenskins%20wolf%20riders.replay?dl=0

It's hard to tell if it's good or not because I'm using an unconventional army, at least I've never seen anyone else using it, and because I was able to do a lot of damage at the start when they vanguard deployed too close to me. Their list was great for killing my zombies and skeletons but they're not going to do well against flying units, and I feel like running out of ammo would be a common problem or arrows not doing a lot to certain units/lords.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Mine was so blurry that I couldn't really make out the corpse cart or mortis engine but if the mortis engine looks anything like the model I can't wait to build armies around it. Didn't expect they would add this many new units to each faction.

Found a new link:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.facebook.com/TotalWarGreece/videos/1184481238280867/

http://imgur.com/a/al2nU

I wonder if Ghorst will be able to use a corpse cart as his version of a mount? If he's just another necromancer who can only be on foot like Kemmler I don't see the point of adding him.

https://heads-or-tails.obsidianportal.com/characters/helman-ghorst

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 22, 2016

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Have they said whether or not you can use regiments of renown in mp or is it campaign only?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Are there any slowing auras already in the game or is this new? Wondering if they slow attack speed or just movement speed. If it slows attack speed then the Chillgheists sound really good, especially combined with poison attacks they can get from Ghorst.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 23, 2016

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Ghorst seems like just a footnote. This is all the information I could find on him when he was announced.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Arms flailing around in the corpse cart is a nice touch. Their stats look terrible though so I hope they aura they give is worth it or it'll end up as useful as the black coach. Ghorst starts with the prestige wolf pack so I assume they'll distribute other prestige units to the other lords. I don't see anything that's obviously his poison attacks in the skill point tree so I think he starts with them which makes his early game way easier than any other VC. Having all your zombies and skeletons be 25% more effective at everything than enemy units of the same type just seems like automatic victories.

Someone was saying how it won't be a big deal in mp but this would be gamebreaking in mp but I'm pretty sure campaign bonuses don't apply to mp, especially since you can pick leaders who you can't pick in the campaign.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
One thing you can do to butter up factions to make deals with you is a lot of gifts. The relation boost from gifts stack and I think each small gift is +10 relations. It can be expensive but useful to get certain allies or just non aggression pacts/trade deals.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
VC already got the blood knights, now 2 more units and 2 more lords.

Where is Krell? I know there's a mod but Kemmler talks about him so much you'd think they were going to add him.

And I wonder if empire troops will still say "where are the flagellants when you need them" if you have flagellants.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 26, 2016

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Any idea where we're at for the goon tournament?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=176#post463266988

Think we're waiting on Yukitsu's computer to get fixed so they can finish their round:

ClassicFascist posted:

So Yukitsu's desktop is kaputt and in the shop for at least a week. His laptop can *barely* run Warhammer, so we were thinking we'd wait until his PC comes back from the shop if that's cool with you Mukip.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Double Bill posted:

My new favorite thing to do as Greenskins is to let a rebellion take over a settlement and then subjugate them, to get a new buddy AI faction. I currently have four of them and it's great.

Something to watch out for is if you declare war, your vassals have the opportunity to refuse the call to arms which breaks the vassalage and puts you at war with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Glad to see net get nerfed. So frustrating to fight armies that are nothing but steam tanks, pistoliers/outriders and overcasted nets. When I see that in quick match and I brought a mostly infantry army I just quit and start looking for a new match.

• Locked thread