Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Nanomashoes posted:

Yeah but playing as the stunties is boring why would you subject yourself to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

beergod posted:

Guys I know this game is awesome. It is obviously deep and amazing and great. But I don't know what in the gently caress I am doing. Is there a consensus beginner manual or tutorial or something (even if it is for a prior TW game) that can get me started? I'm coming around on the battling part, I think, but the campaign stuff is like bizarro Civilization without any guidance whatsoever. I would very much appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC0Xc3ZNzBU

Its not a very entertaining channel but this guy has loads of videos that show and explain all sorts of weird total war mechanics that a player new to the franchise would have no way of knowing and this video talks a lot about how combat actually works which is maybe the most important and one of the most underexplained parts of the game

Also if you're interested in multiplayer forums poster Yukitsu has put up guides for all the races that gives really elaborate rundowns of all their units and abilities
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSmd8cx6nWQ

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 28, 2016

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Wilekat posted:

Any tips for getting a VH dwarf campaign off the ground? I've got a solid stack that will win most fights it gets in, but I'm feeling trapped in Silver Road. I can take maybe 1 turn in any direction before an orc stack tunnels in from another direction and wrecks my poo poo. Am I basically stuck on the defensive until all my starting stuff has walls?

The safest route of expansion is north into mount gunbad (any maybe its accompanying settlement) If you can't safely start sending an army there within the first 10 turns Zhufbar or Karak Kadran might take it from you first.

Then just hunker down in silver road and occasionally sack and raze bordering greenskins until you've got a strong base to operate out of that can hold the waaghs at bay

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

A thane is enough to deal with the public order crisis in gunbad and it starts paying for itself almost instantly. Ambush stance is the superior defensive stance, just stand within range of a garrison and play the battle out manually and you can beat really long odds

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

So are Helblaster Volley Guns good enough to replace Great Cannons now? I mostly use Cannons to get the enemy AI to advanced towards you, but I figure that a Bright Wizard would work for that.

Cannons are a lot more useful against heavily armored, elite, or fast-moving units. A pair of cannons will kill a huge amount of heavy cavalry, shock troops, or other war machines very quickly the volley guns are better at dealing with massed infantry as the accuracy and travel speed of the projectile make it harder to hit fast or low population units

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Plan Z posted:

Are warhounds really a bad pick? I picked two units of them as Chaos during a multiplayer match and my teammate went ballistic on me. I mostly keep them around as a cheap way to chase down routing units as it's really nice to just not have to worry about a routing cavalry or heavy infantry coming back to the field. It's been successful for me so far.

warhounds do very anemic damage to anything with armor but they can tear archers and artillery to shreds and move crazy fast.

Other than vs a Vampire death ball or dwarves, chaos hounds are pretty good in small numbers

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fangz posted:

I don't find levelling the walls to ever be an useful use of my artillery in sieges. Taking out the towers can help though, especially playing vs VC where it means I can missile them with impunity.

Dwarves vs Vampire counts I never climb walls. Cannons shoot open the gates then start firing at walls where elite grave guard are stationed.

With 4 dwarven cannons you can murder the tower firing on your arty, open a gate and make 3-4 breeches in the walls usually killing at least 2-3 units stationed on them.

Then you just march your dwarves into the breeches where they hold and murder all the vampires before pushing in for an easy win.

Ranged units can easily be assembled to not take tower fire and breaking the walls open also means your gunners can actually get kills before you get them on top of the walls

Mukip posted:

I'll do it, then! Mukip's Grand Tournament sign ups begin now. Let's give it a week.

sign me up too

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 11, 2016

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Another option is to blow up a tower (cannons or grudge throwers) and stand an army of quarrelers outside who murder anything on the walls. The AI is dumb and will just keep putting new units on the walls to be shot to pieces until your quarrelers run out of ammo (thunderers work too, but the firing arc gives the quarrelers more opportunities to fire).

Gun infantry are terrible at shooting units on walls, quarrelers are much better but still a lot of your shots will be blocked by the wall and crenelations.

Creating the tight chokes in the walls (not one continuous breech) lets you make the most out of your absurdly tanky infantry and since I almost always end up running out of ammo on units in sieges so I'd rather have those missiles actually hit enemies instead of stone

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Yukitsu posted:

The easiest for me as the previous organizer was actually getting them through the discord channel that 420gankmid sent me to or just by e-mail. They're tiny so it's best to send them uncompressed.

https://discord.gg/0136Ht28l4ZMDBCIv

all goons welcome

shout "@Everyone Fights!" and goons will assemble

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So no one answered me, do bait ambushes work? like stack a weak army ontop of an ambusher?

Does it go into ambush style battle or just back ups?

If an AI army walks into the Zone of Control (the red highlighted circle) of your ambush stance army one of two things happens, either
A) ambush successful and you get a prompt to either initiate the ambush (with any nearby reinforcing armies joining as usual) or decline the attack and they will continue moving on their way
or
B) ambush fails and the enemy army is attacking your army regularly with the default options available.

If they attack your non-ambush stack your ambush stack can reinforce it normally if it is in range

AI tend to go after bait stacks when they cant detect the ambush but will often detect it while running up so be prepared to either fight or run away regardless

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fangz posted:

I think the suggestion that Warhammer Total War is just taking the tabletop and 'coding it all in' is an immensely hilarious idea.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=594982209

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

AI never attack a siege unless the autoresolve is overwhelmingly in their favor, even then they almost never attack cities with strong walls and ~20 unit garrisons, just sitting there waiting for 20 turns of attrition to do their work

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Haven't played total warhammer in a while, how does the multiplayer work with people having/not having the DLC?

If one player has it and the other doesn't, do they both have access to the DLC units or is the guy with the DLC at a advantage?

If you dont have the DLC you cant choose certain factions, generals, or regiments of reknown, but your opponent/coop player can if they have the DLC

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, basically don't bother with the multiplayer unless you bought all the DLC then?

I play without the regiments of reknown and honestly couldnt care less, the default rosters are good

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Ammanas posted:

Also RIP molays

No joke, Balthasar Gelt is my favorite Legendary Lord but lore of metal is an enormous pile of garbage and easily the worst magic path on top of Gelt being a mediocre combatant and not even able to get a Gryphon he's just strictly a worse wizard

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

PerilPastry posted:

I'm curious, do people actually like fighting siege battles?

Siege battles are by far the most fun type of battles. They seem to have taken a step down from RomeII/ShogunII siege battles in quite a few ways but they're still very satisfying and one of my biggest complaints about the game is how hesitant the AI is to attack a walled settlement when it doesnt have an absurdly overwhelming army, or attrition has reduced the defenders to nothing

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

http://store.steampowered.com/app/534330/

The steam page for the DLC has a countdown

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Sign me up for goon death
http://steamcommunity.com/id/AiurOG

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

pnutz posted:

can we have an image reference for this thread on the front page or something? stuff like this and "that's a paddlin' grudgin'" gets lost and I can't bring it up elsewhere :(

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Does Orion also have a bow and quiver? Does he even have an animation for using them?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Cygors have some unholy sniper accuracy with their rocks and are the second best artillery unit in the game after the Doom Diver catapult. Hellcannons are good too but you can't guide their projectiles the way you can with a doom diver.

You actually can guide Hellcannons and they're easily the most powerful artillery piece in the game if used this way.

Playing a coop campaign with Nanomashoes a while back he would just give me his hellcannon and with the single unit I could easily kill 600+ enemies over the course of a battle and it made sieges a breeze

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Loopoo posted:

How do you guide artillery? Is it when you select them and get the different coloured arrows? I could never figure out what they meant, I assumed Green was "Safe" as in it won't hit your own troops, Red was "May Hit Friendly" and Grey was "Repositioning"

Artillery can be manually fired by selecting the unit and clicking the button in the bottom left hand of the screen.

Hellcannons and Doomdivers have the added benefit of having 'guided' projectiles. Meaning if you fired the artillery piece in first person mode you follow the Hellflame orb/Goblin along its trajectory and guide it manually

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Stunties are boring as gently caress, never play as them.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Corrode posted:

Possibly the worst is the Reikland Runefang one (which I may be the only person ever to have completed) which asks you to send a dude to Nordland, then get a Helstorm in Franz's army, then send another guy to Salzenmund which is where you have literally just sent someone. All this for Franz's B-tier sword which you'll replace with Ghal Maraz sooner or later. Even putting those aside, almost all of the quest content is pretty uninteresting - the only cool parts are the battles themselves.

A better implementation isn't leaping out at me - probably more battles in the chain and reduce or remove the "send guy here" busywork.

How on earth do you think this is the most annoying quest in the game?
Nordland is like; right there only separated from Reikland by Middenheim. You can even recruit the regiment of renown hellfires if for whatever reason you didnt build an artillery building. Its straight up one of the least effort intensive and easy to get quest items in the game.

Ghal Maraz; greenskins are either entirely wiped out or stuck in the badlands and I've never had Karl Franz fight more than 4 greenskin armies in an entire campaign so I dont even know what the next step of the quest is.

Chaos has to send their agents all the way back to where they spawned in the NE corner of the map for just about every quest so either keep a sorcerer there permanently or send an agent every 20 turns to make the 10 turn trip there and back to your army.

Gelt's quest has him sending a battle wizard to the south tip of Estalia and back and has to march down there own top of that unless you shell out the TP gold.

Seriously dude like every single quest in the game nearly is harder to complete than the Reikland Runefang one which I complete by accident in any empire game that goes past 45 turns

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Corrode posted:

Yo I'm aware of all of these, the fact you can complete it by accident is what I'm talking about. The steps are:

Step A: send dude here
Step B: recruit a thing
Step C: send dude back to the same place he just was

Once you move the agent up north you can trip and fall and complete it, and it's not even unlikely to happen now the RoR exists and is recruitable at or shortly after the quest unlocks. I'm criticising the design - 3 steps which are basically just one 1 step - not the difficulty. The post you were quoting is literally a critique of the things you talk about being harder, were you too busy mashing POST to read it?

E: I guess you were responding to the 'I'm the only person to have completed' bit? I wasn't trying to imply it was difficult, just that a while ago people were like 'it would be nice to ever have a reason to bother with it when ghal maraz is a straight upgrade.'

Yes I guess I misread your post because it sounded like you were complaining about its difficulty; but I think its a good thing that its real simple and easy to unlock. The quest battles are fun and the rewards are pretty good but they shouldn't be gated behind a bunch of bullshit like "walk to the bottom of the badlands" or "assassinate an agent of X race" like so many of them are right now

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Man that sucks, the Dawn of War series is one of my favorites. Dark Crusade is one of my favorite expansion/games and yet I still really enjoyed the DoW2 games despite how different they were.

It's actually kind of weird because I like board games, this game, and the DoW games and yet I have no interest in the tabletop miniature games they are based on.

DoW III is pretty good but some people can't stand that it isnt a direct clone of DoW II and they froth at the mouth ranting about "mobas"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Mordja posted:

And some people just don't think it's a good game but, hey, what you said.

All I'm saying is if you're looking for a new RTS you aren't spoiled for choice but DoWIII scratches the itch.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Theswarms posted:

What if I don't like it but do like mobas?

I did want more dow2 though, that 3 rolled back on a lot of the things I liked from that game is a massive disappointment.

Yeah then "Dawn of War 3 is not Dawn of War 2" is totally reasonable but "its the worst parts of 1 and 2" is just outright stupid

Also it has nearly nothing in common with a moba, at least no more than wc3 did

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

It is the worst parts of 1 and 2. :colbert: They were aiming for a blend of the two with moba elements, the devs themselves have said so, it's not really disputable. I knew we weren't getting DoW2 2 and I loved DoW1 so I was looking forward to the game once it was announced. I became leery once gameplay started being shown. The final result simply isn't appealing to me.

If you enjoy the game, great, buy it and play it. No big deal. I'm just posting my opinion here, nothing more.

Either the devs of DoW3 have never played a moba or that line was written by the guys in marketing because there's no comparison beyond just the background overlap between RTS and MOBA games considering as someone pointed out they're closely related to begin with.

The only thing from DoW3 I can think of that is moba-like without any clear and obvious precedent in other RTS multiplayer games is the 3 pre-built objectives on the map. And even that feel like many RTS campaign maps put in a multiplayer setting.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Hey gently caress you.

I like Dow 1 way more then 2, but I was totally open to the changes 2 made and enjoy both of them.

This isn't just frothing and ranting you rear end in a top hat. Its a lovely game. :v: We already posted several reasons why, maybe you could actually bother giving a reason why its good instead of just a bunch of ad hominem bullshit?

Seriously 420 Gank Mid do you work for Relic or something? Jesus christ dude. Sorry your game sucks!

The interface and controls are a disaster and the camera is awkward and there's almost zero responsiveness.

If you're looking for an RTS literally everything scratches the itch better. DOW1, DOW2, Starcraft1, Starcraft,2 loving command and conquer...

And no, that isn't "all you're saying". What you said was a lot of bullshit about people who disagree with you, because you can't be arsed to express yourself.

Buy me a red text or stfu you whiney idiot

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

count me in for the goon rasslin'

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

You also need to buy the new book, which lists all entirely new units. Then buy those models.

So I didn't even make it to like turn 12 of my first attempt at Empire (and the game, and total war in any capacity) and after a few reloads I'm rolling back to the post-forced-tutorial save. Lessons, possibly incorrect, learned so far...

1. Fill your army up.
2. Recruit second hero guy, get second army to defend. Pray another beastmen army of death doesn't wreck your poo poo on like turn six.
2. Capture my province first, I guess?
3. Ignore raiding because you can't do poo poo about an enemy leader stealing your poo poo unless you want to provoke an entire race. Google says this is totally a normal thing and raiding isn't war, so whatever.
4. gently caress spearmen and go anti-infantry swordsmen and crossbows. Maybe flagellants, I dunno. Spears being anti-large seems like a thing for later.
5. J-cycle your one unit of horsies into mans.
6. I put Franz on a horse.

That about right? I'd tried to be conservative and build power but the game seems to want you to get a swole army asap.

Spend the first 4-5 turns recruiting as many units as you can every turn and advancing as much as you can towards the next secessionist city every turn (Swords, Flagels, Crossbows are best, splash in some spearmen without shields just to fill out your army for less upkeep)

Whether or not you are done with reconquering the province expect Orcs to start hitting Eilhart and Beastmen to start hitting Helmgart some time between turn 5-10. Once you've got the whole province focus on income buildings, 1 or 2 garrison buildings in your smaller cities, and in Altdorf focus on getting access to high tier infantry via lvl 3 barracks and a blacksmith building along with potentially a shrine of Sigmar as Warrior Priests make amazing hero units to use in battle.

Once Reikland is safe start looking outward and check all your neighbors for the "distrusts the empire" trait, if any of them has it, kill them without mercy and take their lands, if not just kill Marienburg or Wissenland whoever looks weaker.

That should take you until about turn 30-40 and set you up rather nicely for doing whatever the hell. Build garrisons everywhere and once you can afford it have 1-2 half-army stacks garrisoned somewhere you expect bullshit to come from and havent put up a garrison yet

If you play nice with the Brettonians and Dwarves 90% of the time they'll sign NAPs and slowly come around to liking you as you start to kill vampires orcs bestmen and chaos

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 29, 2017

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

What are greenskin army comps like in campaign? I took out the main dwarf faction already with just massed ork boyz and Grimgor sniping the leader. You've got boyz as line troops, big uns as anti-large, savage orks as anti-infantry, black orks as elites/AP, so it seems black orks as much as you can afford and then savages with big uns for anti cav support?

e: Also on the AI: The AI does play by all the same money rules you do, but they get a huge amount of flat income just for existing on higher difficulties. So economic pressure will hurt them, but they'll pretty much always be able to field at least one decent stack on hard and above

Goblin RoRs are amazing, the mangy wolf riders and rusty arrer archers are insanely good vs dwarf infantry as between them they have great armor piercing, armor sundering, and poison attacks

Goblin Doomdiver catapults are some of the strongest anti-infantry artillery in the whole game as they have insanely good accuracy and deal heavy splash damage

The giant spider RoR and default unit are also a very strong to have one or even two of in any army since they have so much damage and hit points. Their armor piercing is insanely high so they can kill lords and heroes very quickly as well

For your front line you will eventually want a core of black orcs but you absolutely want to pad them out with savage orcs or orc big'uns, and sneaky skulkers to get a very wide front line

Orc Boar Boy Big uns are also a must vs factions with any heavy cavalry or large armored monsters.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 31, 2017

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

rockopete posted:

How much of a hammer, as in hammer and anvil, should Bretonnian armies have in campaign? I like the thundering charges but it can be a pain to split attention and micro, even with J.

Having 2-4 units of cavalry is plenty to get optimal effect from.

2 Questing Knights usually deployed one on either side of my army to flank the enemy's front lines and charge into some armored infantry or disable enemy ranged units and artillery

1-2 Grail Knights or Knights of the Realm deployed behind my army to deal with monsters or enemy cavalry

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Fizzil posted:

Whats lightning strike supposed to be? it seems to disable your reinforcements and not the enemy.

It's supposed to do both. Lightning Strike lets one army attack another 1v1; no items, final destination, fox only

one obvious exception though is attacking an army garrisoned in a city, you'll fight the army and the city's garrison at the same time; but without any other armies (yours or the enemy's) reinforcing.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/high-elf-army-roster/

Here they list 3 kinds of melee cavalry
Silver Helms (w/ a Shield variant)
Dragon Princes
Ellyrian Reavers (w/ a Missile Variant)

Sounds like the Silver Helms will be the shock cav, the Dragon Princes will be heavy cav (maybe with or without an anti-large bonus but probably with great stats) and the Ellyrians will be the light/skirmisher cav

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

One hellcannon can do the work of 5 if you are manually firing it

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Aren't all of these pics from campaign mode? The High Elf general might just not have any red-path skills or the Dark Elves had theirs maxed out.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

rockopete posted:

modern Egypt has no cultural or linguistic connection with the Pharaonic era, also they're all bones.

You're a fuckin moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

rockopete posted:

Pretty much this. I have faith in CA, given their background with actual history, but Warhammer was never meant to be a sober or accurate portrayal--which is why it appeals to me!--and I have less faith in the ability of GW to be as witty and familiar with Middle Eastern, Indian, and East Asian cultures as they are with European ones. I could be wrong, but that's my fear.

And I'm not accusing anyone of racism. The word I used was 'cringe.'

You're still a massive loving idiot and never say poo poo pretending you know anything about Egyptian history or culture again.

• Locked thread