Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Grimgor is always a threat to a Dwarf player, but I think it's also just as important to take out that Doom Diver he starts with as soon as possible. Definitely make room for Miners in your army as long as it exists; apart from being able to do actual damage to the badass motherfucker that is Grimgor, they're going to be the only thing in your roster in early game that will be in any position to actually attack the Doom Diver once battle starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's a mod out there that has a custom unit for the Empire: a bunch of warrior-priests that throw lightning bolts at enemies. All I can think of is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAqgIe05So&t=120s

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Grimgor is basically Doomguy from the new Doom

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Koorisch posted:

Does anyone else use the Veterancy mod?

I haven't seen any problems yet but it's super satisfying to see your stacks get veterancy and get buff as hell with boosts to melee and leadership.

Yeah, I use the less-potent version. I try to avoid stacking trainer heroes to compensate, because rank 9 Swordsmen are stupidly OP for how cheap they are.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

The enemy had two armies moved as close as possible (almost on top of each other). I attacked one of them and used Lightning Strike, preventing the other from reinforcing.
After autoresolving both enemy armies vanished, even though one of them wasn't fighting.

Is this a bug?

Sounds like it; in this case, the other army should've run off somewhere outside of your army's engagement radius.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wood Elves and Beastmen are cool to me as the first DLC; a threat that can help unite Bretonnia or stop Estalia from running a train on the not-French all the drat time is fine by me.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Skaven make Orcs look like rock-steady allies you can always trust to have your back.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ShineDog posted:

Should Altdorf be the main recruiting center for the empire? I really want to get rid of that port to make it so, but it's not an option.

All you need to recruit the Empire's entire army roster is achievable with a main settlement + one minor settlement, IIRC. You could move it to Talabecland if you wanted since it's right on the frontlines against Chaos and the VCs, and Warrior Priests make growing to that point a lot easier.

Agents are a different matter, though I personally only use Warrior Priests and Witchhunters so you could have your main temple somewhere else.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

peer posted:

It seems like a lot of players are hoping for the good old blood DLC, though I'm not sure how well that would work without the sync-kill animations.

I'll be happy if a cannonball gibs whatever it hits.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I talk a lot of poo poo about Pistoliers, but I have to admit they were the sole reason I won an early-game fight against the Savage Orc horde that starts near you. Tied up and chipped down a Savage Boar Boy unit that would've murdered my flanks.

They still suck though, a Knight unit would've done the same but much, much faster. You really need to utilize combined arms as the Empire, considering that it's your most distinguishing advantage against every other race.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think I realized why Thunderers feel weak while Handgunners are more potent: it's a matter of Empire vs. Dwarf army compositions. Simply put, direct-fire infantry need to be able to maneuver to be effective, and with Dwarven armies being very static, Thunderers probably won't have the cover from enemy flankers they need to really shine. In contrast, Empire armies can have proper cavalry wings that can screen your shooters when they go for the flanks, giving them more time to shoot instead of getting attacked.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For those using Molay's mod: what's your preferred Battle Wizard? Light mixes buffs and utility spells with some damage, Fire is all about the pain, and Celestial... I dunno what Celestial's deal is.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

How much can you trust vassals that hate you though? I have this fear that the moment I march an army off to do something my vassal is going to stab me in the back.

Grind rep with them by attacking their enemies, mainly. At a certain difficulty level you might as well just raze them though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Deified Data posted:

And I just saw a Top Knotz horde enter my territory? Since when were there non-Chaos hordes? How have I never seen them before in my Dwarf or Greenskin campaigns?

There's a Savage Orc horde rambling around in the northern Empire at game start. They never really take off.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Deified Data posted:

And they're Top Knotz savages? If so they're still in the game at turn 146.

Nah, some other tribe. Maybe the Top Knotz broke off from the Badlands and wandered somewhere else?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gejnor posted:

Soooo another another mod made, thanks to Mazz for helping me figure this one out:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=711742675

As has been discussed in here, Global Recruitment feels a bit like a letdown in a normal game, the steep cost in turns makes you rarely want to use it and it in turn can inhibit you from playing more aggressively.

No more! With this mod, your global recruitment turn costs will be the same as local recruitment, the steeper cost in currency and no bonus from provincial buildings remain as before to promote local recruitment as superiour when in or close to your home provinces.

This is really good, dude. Time is a greater enemy in this game than money, IMO.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Weird thing is that Black Orcs in TT were one of the hardest tarpits in the game due to their insane armor and their ability to pack a shield. They had a unique rule where every turn they can pick either a choppa and shield combo or a gently caress-off huge battleaxe, so they were pretty flexible in melee on top of being dead 'ard and killy.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Flame Cannons, yes. Maybe now I can take Thunderers in my main armies.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

madmac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbuaDRAml0w

Russians found the blood and gore trailer we'll probably get tomorrow.

Yes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Light school is pretty drat good with Molay's mod: didn't realize that the net spell will snare everything around the targeted unit, not just the unit itself. Was hilariously tragic when a snared Marauder Horsemen unit that was getting shot to pieces inadvertently trapped its fellow warriors between it and my advancing melee line as they got routed by them.

The healing + vigour restoration spell is also really good for buffing Franz when you send him ahead of your lines to tank enemies. I imagine it + a Seed of Restoration would let your ranged units dump an ungodly amount of firepower on anything stupid enough to get stuck on Franz.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mordja posted:

I imagine this thing is the fantasy equivalent of a Sturmtiger.

Fun fact: that siege cannon is the biggest artillery piece in the game, and despite its looks is not of Dwarf-make. It's actually a salvaged handgun that used to belong to the Sky-Titans that the Ogres drove to extinction/degeneration.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Double Bill posted:

Is the Greenskins campaign (on VH) supposed to be stressful all the time because gently caress I can't get a moment's peace. 1-2 rebellions brewing at all times, Dwarfs crawling up my rear end and other Orcs backstabbing me if I don't finish them off, which I can't because there's always a bigger fire to put out somewhere else. Oh btw. here's some Bjorlings, enjoy!

Sounds about right. What I'm doing to keep poo poo together is turtling up in the main province, buy growth and garrison buildings in both the minor towns, and using the crazy multiplier Orcs get with looting/sacking settlements to build a massive warchest. Right now I have around 40k (heh) in the bank plus access to Black Orcs, heavy cav, and siege weapons; so I'll be turbo-charging my three lords with elite armies, going deep into the red, then just go rampaging everywhere to make that money back while claiming territory.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There ought to be some way to differentiate "military actions taken against X", because there's a difference between fending off enemy armies in your territory and repeatedly sacking a town like a punching bag. Ransoming/releasing captives doesn't seem to work quick enough if you want to mend fences with a hostile faction.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

quote:

Fixed an issue where the Organ Gun would have to turn 360 degrees before moving

I KNEW IT, I KNEW SOMETHING WAS hosed WITH THE ORGAN GUNS

Now it's time to drop Thunderers from my doomstacks, yesssss

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Plan Z posted:

Aw, thunderers own though. Someone tried to throw his boar boys into a frontal charge to break my line and he did but was probably surprised my second line was thunderers.

Thunderers are alright, but this is for single-player where Master Engineers can do some disgusting stuff with artillery

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddammit, why can't I ever commit to finishing a campaign before a patch wipes my progress and outdates my mods

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, I don't think these mods were as patch-friendly as I thought...considering I don't remember seeing the Beastmen icon during end turn the past few hours...

EDIT: One of them edited the startpos :suicide:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 29, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Strange, the Beastmen haven't respawned in a while. Is there a time limit to them, because admittedly a swarm of angry goatpeople is the last thing I need in the middle of the Chaos invasion and Middenland just failing to contain them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Marauder Horsemen are so loving annoying that I'm tempted to drop Bright Wizards for Light Wizards just for the net spell.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Wilekat posted:

Any tips for getting a VH dwarf campaign off the ground? I've got a solid stack that will win most fights it gets in, but I'm feeling trapped in Silver Road. I can take maybe 1 turn in any direction before an orc stack tunnels in from another direction and wrecks my poo poo. Am I basically stuck on the defensive until all my starting stuff has walls?

Pretty much, yeah. Don't worry, Dwarf armies pack a lot of punch, and your three settlements will get you enough cash through tinker shops to sustain at least two half-stacks, so you can leave one at home while the other ventures out to conquer.

A risky play I often try after the walls are up is gunning for the Orc provincial capital in the north, past the arctic hell valley. It has not only gold, but also a special unique mine. Combined, that single settlement can sustain a full mid-tier Dwarf army, which is a huge deal.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So are Helblaster Volley Guns good enough to replace Great Cannons now? I mostly use Cannons to get the enemy AI to advanced towards you, but I figure that a Bright Wizard would work for that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

Cannons are a lot more useful against heavily armored, elite, or fast-moving units. A pair of cannons will kill a huge amount of heavy cavalry, shock troops, or other war machines very quickly the volley guns are better at dealing with massed infantry as the accuracy and travel speed of the projectile make it harder to hit fast or low population units

Alright, I suppose Cannons are still the way to go for a grand battery setup then. It's strange, though: I've always had middling results when it came to killing enemy cavalry with Cannons (both Empire and Dwarf), but I suppose it's because they're better off being massed on the flanks as opposed to the center.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I'm trying to play my first campaign as Empire VH I keep getting smashed in by turn ~15 by a marauding doomstack that takes out one of the towns in the starting province and sends my finances into a death spiral while my army is too far away to intervene.

Any tips on what my opening moves should be? Or have I just made a terrible mistake by assuming that Warhammer is like previous TW games in that VH is the real default difficulty.

Empire VH is super rough, and it only gets worse (a LOT worse) once Chaos makes its move.

What race is the doomstack, because assuming it's either a Beastman horde/Bretonnian dukedom coming from the south or a Marienburger stack from the northwest, the key is to bunker down and get garrisons up in your border towns ASAP. Not walled garrisons, mind you; you can afford a full stack with Franz for conquering poo poo and a general + 4 units for securing a minor settlement with a garrison pretty handily without having to conquer all of Reikland. If it's Dwarves, mountain Orcs, or other Empire factions declaring war on you, then it's probably best to hold on to Grunberg and Altdorf for the meantime to weather the storm, taking care to ransom prisoners to build up cash and goodwill.

Once you secure Reikland and can afford a full stack + two garrison armies, going for Marienburg remains my favorite move for a lot more cash. Afterwards, I tend to turtle to get money buildings and upgrades running, and getting a gunsmith up for Mortars because they are your first major army upgrade.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 1, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
poo poo, Amber has a spell that's practically built to counter skirmishers (-speed, - accuracy). I should've picked the crazy wild man instead of burning hair man...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fangz posted:

Note that what changed between Medieval 1 and Rome is the unit movement. I suspect that 90% of people's complaints would disappear if they didn't physically move around on the map.

I am still a believer in a Risk-style map for agents and fleets, and will compromise on armies moving on the strategic layer like they do in modern TW as long as march stance is removed.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think I'm over VH campaign difficulty: the AI being stubborn dipshits regarding diplomatic deals and ludicrous economy/recruitment bonuses is just no fun and it makes the Chaos invasion a lot less of a clusterfuck. At least on Hard you can get NAPs reasonably quick with factions that have no bone to pick with you, whereas in VH you're spending thousands on gifts and banking on the relations total reaching some unclear threshold to even get one.

The auto-resolve mod was a fantastic thing to pair with restarting on Hard difficulty too; though I wish there was a version that didn't affect offensive sieges because those are my least favorite part of TW's combat.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Thanqol posted:

Defensive siege battles as empire vs chaos - how do people play it?

I figured it'd be pretty easy at first, I could just stick all my handgunners on the walls and then rotate them out for melee units when the towers closed in, but the chaos infantry just beasts empire infantry and there doesn't seem to be a good angle to place my handgunners or artillery to keep contributing after the lines lock. How do people play this one out?

A dirty trick I use is having a cavalry unit bodyblock siege towers. Just park it right in front of them and have your defense towers and ranged units shoot anything that engages them; it's really nasty but effective.

For your issue, I guess it's more of army composition since Honest Steel Swordsmen will rout Marauders handily while HS Halberdiers and Greatswords will give Warriors and Chosen a seeing-to with some support. If fighting on the walls is tough, I suggest letting them take the walls but surrounding the stairwells exiting into the street with infantry while your Handgunners shoot at them from the ground.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Light magic supremacy. The starting bolts spell actually does decent damage for those times where your other stuff is on cooldown, but the net spell is just ludicrous for the Empire combined arms playstyle.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it safe to switch out my Swordsmen for Halberdiers once Chaos comes a-knockin'? Marauder Horsemen are dicks, but the real danger is in the Chaos Warriors, Knights, and the monsters, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Curl_like_smoke posted:

Does anyone have tips for starting a VH Dwarf Campaign? I've started a couple times by consolidating the Silver Road and completing the first quest for the Thane, and right around that time a full Orc stack + Waagghh shows up at my doorstep. Is there a different strategy I should try in those first 15 turns? Or is it just a matter of being able to roll in Hard but needing a 2 steps forward 1 step back mentality in Very Hard?

Buy a money building first and then garrison building in your two settlements. That'll afford you a full stack, which most Orc armies will lose against.

Against a Waaagh! combo, use ambush in range of the settlement's red circle. If the ambush whiffs, you'll have backup. Corner camp if you must; Dwarves can take a serious beating while your Quarrelers will kill every single early game unit the Orcs have.

Max out growth and get walls on the two ASAP. Once they're fortified and Grimgor knocks himself out on your dawi wall, buy a smaller garrison stack of like 4 Quarrelers and 2 Warriors to keep watch at home and roll out with your Legendary Lord. Try to get peace with Grimgor too; that'll leave you free to conquer/confederate west to get a port for more money.

EDIT: ^^^ cool duder, ty

• Locked thread