Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Should I be concerned about walking up a hill into 6 grail knights?

Naaa, it shouldn't be a problem for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Pierson posted:

Man it is really hard to go to other Total War games from here. I tried Shogun 2 and while I got through a few battles with similar tactics the entire thing just felt kinda "yeah it's good but I'd be having more fun if those spearmen were skeletons and I was fighting orcs".

I'm gonna try Napoleon and hope the different setting and historical technology level make it different enough to not trigger pining for Warhammer.

Have an army of Thunderers/HandGunners with Cannons.

Your now playing Napoleon, and killing orcs.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What's everyone's go-to artillery unit for the Dwarves? I feel like I need at least one piece to draw the enemy into attacking but everything seems fairly ineffective. Gyrobombers are fun I find myself focusing on mircromanaging them too much. The organ gun would be great but the fire arc on them gives them a very small area of effectiveness.

I'll usually bring along a battery of three. Either Cannons if i think i'm going to be dealing with a lot of monsters, Grudge Throwers if not.

Been trying out Organ Guns spaced between the front line instead of Thunderers and it works kinda okay.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Aurubin posted:

I wonder how they'll balance the Bretonnia campaign. As it stands you're isolated from any westerly threat, and Marienburg is usually interested in the easier Middenheim/Reikland pickings. Now that I think of it, have they said that Bretonnia will be playable in the grand campaign or am I just assuming that?

Make you the main target of the Viking hordes from day one?

Unending Varg/Skaeling stacks landing in your capital province. Have fun.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Sharzak posted:

Gobbos ain't so good with numba crunchin

They ain't so good with crunchin either.

...They are crunchy though!

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

help apparently I'm a warhammer nerd

There is but one cure.

Tell me, have you heard of the end times?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Taking Gunbad is kind of a trap.

It's such a long walk up to it and you need everything you can get early game to stomp on Grimgor's head.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

They have a lot of lords and heroes that are good dual melee/archers but their troops tends to be specialized into particular roles.

<< haha someone got sick if it

I await Lothern Seaguard with baited breath

Anti-Large, shielded and armored archers.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Does make getting that "win 25 defensive siege battles" achievement kind of tricky.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Fire Barrel posted:

Agreed. WHFB wasn't always great with its art design or world fiction, but AoS looks like a weird, less flashy WH40k. Heck, one of the things that drew me into fantasy was seeing the Empire troops running around in their costumes and the Solomon Kane-esque witch hunters. The new stuff doesn't quite do it for me.

WHFB was great because it was basically all our fantasy and horror cliche's thrown into one giant mess and beating seven shades of poo poo out of each other. It was glorious

AoS is... not that.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Dre2Dee2 posted:

let us reach train sim levels of dlc :allears:

The worst part is... i'm likely to buy all of it anyway... :cry:

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

Vlad's training ability, available at level 4, gives +150 xp per turn factionwide and +230xp per turn to his army. FACTION WIDE training. And he gets a level 5 ability that gives +10% campaign and 15% battle movespeed. Combined with his faction trait of +5% campaign speed, and by level 5 he's got +25% move speed and a training hero equivalent in every army AND beguile. drat Vlad is powerful

By the time the various expansion lords and heroes come out the beginning set are going to look very sorry indeed.

CA have learnt well from GW.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Ally up with Bretonia. bonus points if you help them expand. My Empire VH/Legendary campaigns are generally just holding my settlements while watching endless hordes of colourful knights gallop off to fight all who bother me.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Aurubin posted:

I'm just glad there's an option that doesn't involve murdering the whole of the Empire, Bretonnia, and the Dwarfs to win. Then again I think the Wood Elves wood be cool with that.

I'm fairly sure that whatever their victory condition implies, it's going to mean "not good things" for Empire, Bretonnia and the Dwarfs. Actually, i expect it'll mean "not good things" for anyone who doesn't spend their time living in those freaky woods.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Comrayn posted:

There is some piece of poo poo goblin army running around in my territory, I sent an army after them but he stops just out of range. They sack the town they were about one town's worth of space out of reach of before (other side of my army), run AROUND my army, and still manage to be out of range next turn. I chase back after them and can't catch them, they run around me again and sack the same loving town and have enough movement left over to scamper off.

I had just loaded up the game and that's loving stupid so I reloaded. I chase them after they sack the town just like before but this time I send another army down to try stick in the town they are close to but it isn't big enough to comfortably take them on itself. The army doesn't make it to the town, but it's right next to it and my big army is within reinforcement range too. These fuckers attack my small army and have lightning strike so they barely win the battle. They have enough movement to run me down again, barely win AGAIN, then run the rest of the army down AGAIN. They are now just barely in range of my big army but I'm pretty sure it's just because there was a lake in the way preventing them from running further.

How the hell does this army have so much movement that it can sack towns and still run circles around my guys, and chase down an army three loving times? I'm sure there was some +campaign movement discrepancy because it was a level one lord I was using but 10-15% or so more movement isn't enough to just dance circles around him while also fighting. Doesn't fighting a battle use some movement up?

The answer, I've found, is walls.

Walls on everything. I don't care that the settlement is deep in your lands and miles from the front line. Trust me. The AI is a lovely cheaty bastard and will beeline for anything not protected.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Whatever they end up doing with Naval Combat High Elves will be the best at it. Since they're isolated on their island they'll need some compelling reason to build up quickly early on (otherwise you could just turtle on your island while everybody else annihilates each other), likely Dark Elf raids. They'll likely be more user friendly then wood elves, using costly but reliable units.

I would presume something to do with Waystones. Keep the magic flowing to Ulthuan so the world doesn't drown in it. So somewhat related to Amber then i would guess? You can do it yourself or ally up with others and get them to do it for you.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Blinks77 posted:

I would presume something to do with Waystones. Keep the magic flowing to Ulthuan so the world doesn't drown in it. So somewhat related to Amber then i would guess? You can do it yourself or ally up with others and get them to do it for you.

Victory conditions of, grinding the Dark Elves and loving Malekith into the ground. Wiping out chaos. Ect..ect..

Quote is not edit, the message for today.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

I can't be the only one who wants to see Grimgor suddenly walk in and start caving in heads am I?

To be fair, one of Hannibals lesser known pieces of tactical brilliance at Cannae was snipping the opposing generals with soul leach.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Fangz posted:

Quarrellers pretty much have to beat wood elf archers because how else do dwarves deal with that?

Artillery?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Isn't part of the high elves schtick that all the different city-states are good at different stuff? Like one is all about chariots and smashing dudes with axes, one is elf ninjas, one is cavalry focused, one is really good at wizards, etc. So in addition to dark elves loving around, maybe each sub-faction will field rosters that are similar at the core, but operate slightly differently in terms of elite units. Kind of like how Wood Elves are elf focused and the tree faction is tree focused. I thought that Chaos likes to dick around on the island too because of all the magic.

The mountains are full of gribbly things that can come down. So.. demons and beastmen

Otherwise, the Helfs tend to do a lot of venturing forth to keep the waystone network working. Which could be used as a reason to get them off the island.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Chaos, so far as i can tell, mostly just goes for whatever is nearby. I've never noticed it driving straight for me, hell with the Dwarves i usually have to go drat well find them. Y'know, after i've conquered all the gods be damned badlands.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I like how Warhammer has Arthurian France, Woodland spirit elves and renaissance Germany all in one small area and how it all kinda makes some strange sort of sense.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

Not having played the board game, is my view of highelves as empire with lower unit sizes and magic instead of artillery an accurate estimation?

Not too far off really.

Take the empire roster. Make faster, more skilled and with more magic. Remove gunpowder and add more cost.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

SkySteak posted:

This is probably old news but are Dwarves fun to play in Campaigns (both starts)? I admit that they look fun as hell from a gunline/infantry perspective but I am wondering if their roster being nearly completely bereft of fast options would make it quite frustrating with some factions.

The trick is to have more arty than the AI army. That way they'll come to you and you don't have to slog your way across no mans land.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Generally my progression for minor settlements is.

1. Growth
2. lvl 2
3. Garison
4. lvl 3
5. Garison lvl 2

Then whatever.

I don't bother even thinking about putting anything else there until they're guarded as well as i can manage. As the AI will run a stack through my entire territory to attack unwalled settlements given half a chance.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Aurubin posted:

I sincerely doubt they'll include Araby, Cathay, Nippon, Ind, or Khuresh. It'd be awesome if they did, kinda racist caricatures aside, but they'd have to create them out of mostly whole cloth. Heck they couldn't be arsed to do anything for Kislev, Estalia, or Tilea. Giving them funny hats might have been enough even if the rosters were the same as Empire The 3rd expansion will be Demons, Tomb Kings, Ogres, and Chaos Dwarfs.

If they did, i would buy it.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Aurubin posted:

I mean, I would too. Magical Fake China would be fun to see. TW fans always say they want a game set in medeival China, close enough!

I expect they'll start adding in the more unknown factions either after the second expansion or the third. At that point they should have enough models from the main factions that smaller and, well, non-GW ones shouldn't be too much work to make. Given how much of a cash cow it seems the game has been so far something like "unknown realms" DLC wouldn't be too big a stretch for them to start on.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Mordja posted:

Orruks, Seraphon, and Bloodsecrators, oh my!

Stormlords storming across the stormlands in a storm of storming storm storm.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

It's kind of odd that the absolute best use for Alberic is to sit him in Marienburg so that you double and half again the income from the port.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

canepazzo posted:

What are you supposed to do with Bretonnia once you grab Marienburg? Skullsmasher's been smashed, and there's no quest except "Obtain 400/1000 chivalry". gently caress around with Skaelings/Varg? Empire? Other frenchies? Karak Ziflin?

Fight the Dwarves. Cause they will declare war on you. That or deal with the billion and more stacks of norse men that somehow live in a snowy chaos ravaged wasteland.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Mousillon is so flagrantly vampires that the WHFRP book for Bretonnia mentions any human lords there dress in black armor and menacing spikes to fit in, hoping no-one will realize they're out of place.

Warhammer is so the best fantasy setting ever.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

vintagepurple posted:

Update: you can never resettle Mousillon and if you try you'll get trapped in a menu and forced to alt F4 regardless of if you wait a turn. Which seems like a bug since surely Lyonesse is not meant to be to only human province on the map that is incapable of being unified.

Lyonesse can settle it fine. I razed that swamp and then left it, like the good king i am, for my loyal vassals.

Then i confederated them later.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

jokes posted:

Should just start as Carcassone! Louen is kind of EZ mode compared to the other two anyways, but you don't start with a Super Saiyan.

10% campaign movement though...

I'm not sure i can give that up!

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Bloodly posted:

So how do they get around the 'illegal to educate Peasants' bit so that a merchant class can form and sell/make things? Honest question. It stumps me, but I'm not smart.

Disgraced Nobility?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Ammanas posted:

That's a good point, in a joined campaign what's the motivation for faction x to cross the ocean if you can't establish a base

Apparently they're putting in "lose" conditions now as well. If the AI meets it's objectives, you lose. So you get a reason to go over and save the empire from it's various foes and/or beat them down if they're getting too close to victory themselves.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

what else would thanquols long campaign objectives be unless it involved killing those two?

It's actually an optional objective, with massive rewards.... but completely impossible if you pick Thanquol.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I suppose they could put in Human level AI.

Personally i find the idea of waiting a week after clicking end turn to be far more historically accurate.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I've always expected that the high elves would be something like the Empire +magic - gunpowder.

See how it works out.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

4 stacks of zombies
1 stack of iron breakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Getting both Tyrion and Teclis as a high elf looks like it's going to be an unholy pain in the rear end.

• Locked thread