Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Punk living can't defend poo poo. As Mannfred everything north of me was razed and I have had to rebuild northward just to get the damned Norscans away from Sylvania. Just as I'm putting the finishing touches on Kislev, here come Archaon and his pals, right on time for my Blood Knights! Been lightning striking furiously since then to keep the hordes at bay while Kemmler rushes back from a poorly timed Talabheim reconstruction. Kislev will prevail. 190 hours in. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

All nvidia cards from the 7 series up can do elements of DX12. Possibly even 6 and up. The issue here is CA deciding how to allocate their limited resources for DX12 optimization, and it looks like they've gone with the 10 series and lots of AMD stuff (I have a 770, don't know anything about AMD's naming system). That may change later, who knows.

Point being that you shouldn't extrapolate how your card runs TWWH DX12 into general DX12 performance. Some of it is nvidia but that grayed-out DX12 button in the launcher is all CA unless you have a seriously old GPU.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 6, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Klaus88 posted:

Gossel has a salt resource, but that salt comes from the tears of empire players that try to hold the place.

Ha, how'd you see my campaign? Gossel got razed at least twice before I finally understood that tier 2 garrisons are not optional.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

:( I have a 970 and I was hoping that dx12 would be the promised land of free fps gains.

Oh well, at least now I don't have to bother updating off windows 7.

CA on DX12 and graphics cards:
http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_WARHAMMER_DirectX_12_System_Requirements

It looks like, for now, the big DX12 performance booster for TWWH is the async compute feature, which nvidia cards don't seem to offer until the 10 series.

You should upgrade windows regardless, 10 is faster.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Having now played all the factions, the one that I feel gets into the most hopeless stalemate slog is the Dwarves. To start I pushed into Gunbad as suggested and began bribing Kazak Kadrin for confederation. The southern border with the greenskins is quiet and I take out the Bloody Spears pretty early to keep them off of me. Pretty much immediately after confederating Kadrin I get declared on by the Vampire Counts and they start raiding me. I send Thorgrim and another stack up to deal with vampires when the border princes declare on the dwarf faction west of my start and my defensive ally, so I make a new army lead by Ungrim to go help with that.
:words:

For me, grabbing Barak Varr (your 'defensive ally') early was very helpful. Gives you a port and the ability to trade with many many more factions. After getting Gunbad I ignored the north and fought greenskins to the south tooth and nail for 20-30 turns, after which I was able to confederate Barak Varr thanks to my greenskin slaughter. Only after that did I move further north than Gunbad. No point opening up fronts you can't defend without good reason, and most good reasons have to do with money.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

Oh neato okay. I figured it couldn't possibly be as simple as I thought. I wonder if it's actually worth it to use troops, what with the added unit-healing upkeep and all.

I always use a single lord if I can afford it, followed by a stack to guard/keep public order up if need be. The problem with using troops is they instantly become useless for a few turns while you still pay for their upkeep. It's less than the full amount until they heal, but still a waste. If you're recolonizing in a dangerous area near the enemy, that's even worse. If it's in a peaceful area, those troops could be put to better use elsewhere. You could keep a stack of chaff (weak lovely units) around for the purpose, but the cost of that is probably close to 2500 unless you're VC with upgraded ghouls, and every turn you're paying maintenance for them.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So on max unit size settings, are buffs and debuffs going to be better than direct damage, and leadership skills more useful than combat buffs on Karl?

Yes to buffs and debuffs, not sure about Karl, depends how you like to play him.

VVVVV "Honest Steel" is a must have on any empire general including Karl.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Yukitsu posted:

Just as a reminder to anyone in the tournament, I'll be drafting up the matches by tomorrow evening and I still need a few lists for participants. If you signed up for the tournament, read this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=91#post461766598

Any rough idea of when this will take place? Or are we scheduling our own matches?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Truecon420 posted:

Alright that helps, thanks. But I was also wondering in general lore what happens after the End Times... is it the Age of Myth, and the Timeline is cyclical? or does it just go on to age of Sigmar?

Nothing happens. The End Times didn't happen. Age of Sigmar doesn't exist. The lore for much of the End Times and everything after it is poo poo and only leads to worse poo poo, painfully bad to the point that it's obvious it was shoved in there for business reasons. Like a compound fracture with the bone sticking out. Even if AoS had fantastic gameplay, the lore is still poo poo. Ignore all of it.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 8, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Klaus88 posted:

The universe basically says, when you avert the end of days, "it wasn't supposed to go down like this!"

Really? I didn't get anything like that from it, just "You won! Peace? Maybe..."

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Chomp, SA is saying I can't PM you for the tournament so I sent you a steam message. Let me know when is a good time.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Chomp won all 3 of our games, well fought!

VC vs Chaos - pretty close, I tried my hand at the death star with some success but forgot to save up magic for overcasted Nehek :doh:. Good call bringing Chaos spawn, I hate those unbreakable sacks of hp. Fate of Bjuna barely takes a third of their health.
Dwarfs vs Empire - Brilliant strategy to start far back and make him come to me!...Except he also had cannons and Dwarf armor isn't much good against cannonballs.
Empire vs Brettonia - my first time fighting Brets and I knew pegasus knights were powerful but I wasn't expecting essentially demigryphs with wings. Steam tanks painted the ground with blood and feathers in a valiant last stand, though. Also good job making me divert a few halberd units to deal with your flankers on the left, I don't think they ended up doing anything but I could have definitely used those guys on my main line.

I definitely need to practice MP more, too used to being able to pause and slow down at will.

Vargs posted:

Vermintide owns and should be played by everyone here.

Truth.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Olive Branch posted:

Be sure you took replays and give us more breakdowns on unit composition and strategy! Or will Yukitsu bless us with that?

I'm sure Yukitsu will do it better but I ran through replay of our first battle VC-Chaos and posted the run through on youtube. I may do the steam tank-pegasus fight later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64srdApg3LI

Archonex posted:

I get that formations are a big part of their use, but I guess my question is --- Why take steam tanks over artillery?

Like hellstorm rockets and even mortars seem to just annihilate stuff compared to their single cannon and steam cannon. And the main cannon on a steam tank seems really weak compared to the empire cannon used to take out larger/monstrous units. An Arachno-whatever or even a giant will just straight up charge into a group of tanks and knock them down one by one while they just machine gun fire into it without it caring or taking much damage at all.

Granted, the steam cannon seems to roast lighter infantry, but at that point why not just screen some common artillery with infantry and have them blast entire chunks out of the blobbed up enemies from behind your lines?

What do they do that makes them a better choice than other artillery units? Is it the terror trait that makes them so appealing? I thought that required being close to enemies, which invalidates their ranged abilities since I think they'd switch to melee attacks only?
units from attacking due to being stunlocked.

WarpedLichen posted:

Steam tanks are incredibly self sufficient. Normal artillery is great if protected but kinda suck if out of position or if the enemy harasses them with fliers or cavalry. Steam tanks don't have that problem. They can drive anywhere on the battlefield with impunity to dish out damage.

This. I was debating taking cannons instead of steam tanks, 800 for one 3 cannon unit vs 2200 for 1 steam tank. It would have been a one way slaughter rather than a rough defeat if I had. Chomp's pegasus knights would have suffered a few volleys and then torn them to shreds. The steam tanks were able to fire as they pleased unmolested and then charge into melee with a knockback when things got hairy.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

wiegieman posted:

That was a great Empire response to the usual dwarf lineup. Just out artillery-ing dwarfs and forcing them into the long advance that they suck at is an angle I hadn't thought of.

Yeah, caught me by surprise as the dwarf player as well. I figured I'd need a good many men for a checkerboard to deal with cavalry and demigryphs so I only took two cannon :(

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

I feel like there is a good Spore-style "FUNCTIONALLY IDENTICAL" joke to be made about the handgunner rifle and the outrider repeater.

Shame, in Vermintide they're very distinct and fun.

e:

Also, as the opponent in that match, I didn't watch my magic levels carefully so I never had enough to overcast Nehek, which was critical to my strategy. whoops.

Sweet writeup though, I'd love to see the other two. Learning a lot here.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 14, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

I am very disappointed Beastmen aren't getting the jabberslythe. :smith: I really want to see that weird thing animated. They probably should've gone with the ghorgon instead of the giant too.

No jabberslythe, but isn't this a ghorgon?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Spiros posted:

With charge bonuses out the wazoo, probably.

drat, this actually sounds like a really fun army.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

I think I've walked to a grand total of one quest battle since discovering that teleport was a thing. Once you take army upkeep into account it's usually much cheaper to teleport rather than have your LL and his stack out of position for several turns instead of conquering poo poo.

You could see it as an extra challenge on higher difficulty levels that doesn't involve artificially boosting enemy stats or economies, and you'd get to fight new and interesting enemies.

dogstile posted:

It seems kind of funny that the guy bitching about $18 for a new army used to be a tabletop player

Mate you've literally spent $100's on armies, shut the gently caress up

yup. also this

Corrode posted:

How long does a full TW campaign take, like 10-15 hours? My cost for TW:W is already like £0.80/hr and I've only played 60 hours, even if I never touch it again that's more cost effective than basically any other media consumption.

the price definitely feels stingy for the video game market but this is loving Warhammer, beautifully rendered in CG, complete with fighting shooting flying magic explosions effects etc and they just added most of an entire race with a flawlessly painted army including massive units, decked out heroes, and unique legendary lords.
Like go back to your kid self who read manuals and bought models and say "ah, it was sixty bucks for the game alone, and now they want seventeen to twenty for an incomplete Beastmen army, what a fuckin ripoff"

Making not just different models but entirely different animation sets to their standard of quality and then doing that again for 10 truly different races--assuming they keep that level of variation--is a massive expenditure of money and effort, and the only reason it is being risked is because of the premodelled set of races and armies built up and fleshed out over decades that has proven popular appeal. I'm ready to spend one to two hundred on this game and its sequels/dlc over the years as payment and to encourage continued support.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I notice in the new patch notes that along with an across-the-board general buff for all artillery game-wide, the Helblaster and Hellfire rockets get a range buff, which makes the always great rockets even better and may even make Helblasters viable.

Also the Flame Cannon gets buffed all around, including +AP(!) +Range -Cost, as well as a specific mention that "Firing arc fix allows for fire from behind infantry line". And irondrakes get a general buff as well. Should be interesting to test.

sirtommygunn posted:

I want them to occasionally poo poo out demon armies that are insanely aggressive but can't be coordinated with to give you a sort of soft area control of conquered territory.

Same, hopefully they'll do this when they release the Daemons of Chaos if not before.

RentACop posted:

If you could left click your movement bar and "lock" it so you couldn't go below the notch unless you removed it, that would be cool. Not really super useful but would help in fiddly situations were I want to camp every turn

This plus a clearly indicated button/hotkey for UNDO MOVE would be so nice to have. Plus the ability to move away from a siege, not simply retreat. Really simple fixes for stupidly basic UI issues that have been around since Rome 1 :(

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Er good points, I hadn't thought of cheesing undo. But the rest still stands.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

The Death Star should be easily translated to single player, right? I can't see the AI putting up a good fight against a tough multiplayer tactic. I have a few overly fancy armies full of micro heavy units and I'm sick of it, nearly crushed chaos but it's become a slog constantly cycle charging my Blood Knights while babying my Black Coach and still ordering Vargheists around plus the rest of my army and heroes.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Having not played a horde faction before, I'm looking forward to producing units at my armies with me instead of making long treks for reinforcements. Not worrying about holding indefensible locations will be nice too.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 28, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Yukitsu posted:

Who the poo poo thought it was a good idea to let an 833 point unit summon a 1600 point unit is what I want to know. Holy hell.

Will killing the 833 point unit also poof the 1600 point one?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Someone upthread asked what Bestigors are good for, and that is manning siege towers. Lots of armor, no need for vanguard deployment. I keep 2 units in my army and use Gors in any remaining towers.

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Yeah being able to embed agents a la Civ would go a long way to making them an interesting part of the game .

I'm not sure I understand you here, what do you mean by embed?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

ubercrunchy posted:

I beat Eye for an Eye over the weekend and didn't build a single siege engine. Just minotaurs bashing down the gates in record time.

I only recruited bestigor two turns before ending the game. It just seems like they don't have a niche. Why spend 3 turns for a bestigor when 2 turns gets me a minotaur?

I'm very cagey with siege battles since some nasty experiences in some of my earlier games. I'll have to try just gatecrashing, it's been touch and go trying to leave a siege for at least 3 turns in the mini campaign so I can get some towers (kiting those stupid manlings all around the forest is wicked fun though). If it's as easy as it sounds, then yeah Bestigors are pretty useless. Also I forgot about the 3 turn recruitment vs 2 turns for minotaurs, christ it's not even a choice.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 1, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Mukip posted:

I'll do it, then! Mukip's Grand Tournament sign ups begin now. Let's give it a week.

So far it looks like we have:
*Mukip
*Asmodai_00
*Vox Nihili
*Yukitsu
*Mr. Wookums
*Obstacle2

Oh yeah, I'm banning double healing potions.

I'm in! Last one was fun and very educational.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Doctor Schnabel posted:

is agent spam still an issue with the ai? if so, are there any recommended mods to mitigate it?

I used to mod them out but turned them back on again after reading more about agent mechanics in this thread. They're not that hard to counter if you're prepared, especially now CA has tweaked them a bit. They're also great for levelling your own agents and unlocking skills earlier.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 12, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Guderian here.
Thoughts:

I think I get dazzled by high stats and punchy units so my armies tended to reflect that.

As Empire, besides taking more men, I should have junked 3 of those cannons for a steam tank given I was facing VC. Maybe drop one of the Demigryph units as well--in every Total War game I pick 2 cavalry for a symmetrical line of battle, but Demigryphs are so tough and expensive that I think I could have better used that money on either more numerous cavalry or more men.

For the second battle, I very nearly took 4 ironbreakers instead of 2 ironbreakers and 4 longbeards or whatever it was but changed it at the last second--sudden outbreak of common sense, perhaps. Fantastic match, Runesmiths are worth every penny. The patch to allow character equipment in MP lets Runesmiths take 3 additional, always-on runes that in total provide give a 45m aura of +12 leadership +8 melee attack and +20% missile resistance, so add that to periodic auras of +15 armor and +44% damage resist plus the constant minor AP boost. The Rune of Wrath and Ruin came in really handy too, pushed a few of his units over the edge into fleeing.

Third battle marked the end of my minotaur infatuation. Still fun to use but not the cloven armageddon I was used to having--I'm 250 turns deep into the mini campaign and wanted to throw bulls at an actual opponent. Among other things, I underestimated quite how much better campaign Gorebulls are due to the army boost skills they get. Well fought.

I should also note that I took a Lore of Beasts wizard both chances (1 and 3) I could, largely because of the manticore he can spawn. I got it both times and it was helpful but didn't swing the game, pretty well balanced I think. Maybe even a bit less valuable than the overcasted AoEs the Beast lore gets, especially the second one with the speed boost and % damage reduction.

Finally, for anyone curious about multiplayer, I have now played 6 multiplayer TWWH matches in my life, half in this tournament and half in Yukitsu's. Before that I played once or twice in other TW games. Don't be intimidated or worry about meta strategies, I decided to try this for fun and have had a great time. I lost all first 3 games against Chomp but learned a lot and still had fun in 2 of those 3 (I can't pretend that my Dwarfs vs his Empire was a fun match, though it was certainly instructive), and had a great 3 this go around.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 14, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

That is very possible. In my case, I remembered my dragon-mounted Mannfred taking major damage from a chaos lord on a manticore so I went that route. Then again that happened in the campaign and even in MP spawned manticores aren't going to be as good as lord mounts. It was an interesting experiment.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 14, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Endorph posted:

yes, in several ways, most notable runesmiths got massively buffed and now give a bunch of always-active buffs to nearby units

Note that those buffs are by default NOT selected when you take a Runesmith, so be sure to click them on.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Keep in mind that some varieties of Gors and Ungors have Vanguard Deployment, so they can deploy in the neutral zone between the players. I personally ignore Ung/Gors that don't have it unless I have a special reason to take them.
Certain Ungors additionally have the Stalk ability which allows them to move while staying hidden.
Centigors and Warhounds also have Vanguard Deployment, so in total you can have entire infantry and cavalry sections deployed anywhere on the battle map.

Poison Warhounds are my must-have as far as cavalry. Poison provides a major across the board stat debuff, armored or not, and they can fulfill the mop up duties of regular light cavalry.
I haven't bothered with Centigors or Razorgors much, but I'm also playing the mini-campaign which is almost exclusively vs Empire so they may be more useful against other races.

Minotaurs do not have Vanguard but are very fast, almost matching cavalry speeds, which helps make up for this. In sieges this makes them very fast battering rams as they can smash gates, and their great size allows them to plow through the wall of infantry waiting on the other side. I stick with shielded Minotaurs by default unless I'm facing a lot of cavalry or larger ('Large') enemies, in which case I'll take along some of the Great Weapon version.

Get at least one Gorebull per army, a level 9 Gorebull can have incredible auras and army-wide buffs.

I currently have two mid-endgame stacks, each with

Lord
Gorebull
Bray Shaman (Beasts usually)
6 Minotaurs, mainly Shields
2 Warhounds with Poison
4 Gor herd
4 Ungor herd (swords and shields)
1 Cygor

Consider replacing the Ungors with Ungor Raiders for the missiles if fighting lots of flyers.

I haven't super analyzed and min/maxed my armies, but these seem to be working for now. I'm on VH Campaign, H Battle.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Someone upthread mentioned having a consolation/losers tournament. Chiming in to say I'm interested.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

So I decided to buy this, and goddamn is it hard coming into this having never played TW games before. How the hell do I get my armies to stay in formation when I move them? I set them all up before the battle starts then as soon as they move they just fall into whatever position they originally were. I get absolutely poo poo on my any cavalry because I can't turn my groups fast enough.

And why is Bretonnia playable in battles but not in the campaign? Is there a mod that will conveniently add them to the Grand campaign?

Select the units that you want to stay in formation and press CTRL G, this will put them in a group and lock their formation (if that group is selected). Press G again to unlock but leave them grouped.
When attacking with locked groups, hold ALT and right click the enemy line. Your troops will automatically advance and attack anything in their path but will not clump up to attack one single target (which would be the case if you had not held ALT).

Hold SPACE to see current move/formation orders as well as view options. Remember that you can slow down and pause time (hotkey T, also buttons in the upper right)--use this!

Someone at one point posted an imgur album with a quick run down of formation how-tos, I don't have it saved though.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 15, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I'm having some video card issues at the moment. I can do my tournament slot on a different machine, it'll just be another few days.

fnordcircle posted:

Do the +unit experience buildings only apply to units hired in that location or the entire province?

Some unique buildings provide faction-wide bonuses as well, like the knightly chapter house in Middenheim.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

It's looking like my GPU will be out of commission for a while so I don't think I'll be able to make my match :(

Also new DLC looks amazing, definitely buying.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Endorph posted:

I mean, the bretonnians were blatantly unfinished.

This was known well in advance, though. 'Blatantly' gives the impression that CA promised full Bretonnians but decided to skimp and try to sneak it by customers. Yet CA was very up front about their long term plan to add factions in as DLC and which ones would be in at launch. Chaos is a separate issue, but even there they made them free for the first week. I can understand discontent with the price of Beastmen even if I disagree with it, but this just seems silly.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Getting back into this after 9 months away. Is DX12 still not worth using? Last I played it didn't improve much and often made things worse for nVidia cards. I have a 970.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Mailer posted:

Getting better. I made out just fine with Reikland once I recruited everyone and pushed war hard. Suddenly the world wanted to be my friend, so that was cool. Exterminated a faction of beastmen that apparently lived in Bret's lands and existed solely to harass players.

Went after Wissen, since it was right there, but they rolled over me with the garrison forces. There's options for siege engines and destroying a building via an agent, but neither seemed to do anything. Guess 15 turns is too late to start attacking. Hit turn 20 but the expansion game was over by that point.

Be careful of attacking enemy capitals early (they have more 'flair' around the faction symbol on that settlement--also if you click an enemy settlement, the capital of that province will always be on the far left, usually with a green wall icon). They have more of a garrison by default, they always have walls, and sometimes extra wall levels (=extra garrison) as well. Try to get cannons or other siege weaponry in your army, that way you can attack a walled settlement without needing to build siege machines on-site. Karl Franz's final mount counts as a siege weapon, though I would ignore that except for autoresolves.

Always try to go to war with 2 stacks (generals) supporting each other. Keep them close and they will reinforce each other in battle.
Reinforcement in general is key. You need at least 2 stacks close to each other (within the faint red circle surrounding each stack). You can check if an attack on an enemy stack/settlement will be reinforced by selecting your army and mousing over the enemy as if to attack--if you see a little arrow appear on the ground from your NON-selected army to the enemy, your attack will be reinforced. If you're defending, or want to draw enemies out to attack, set both armies to ambush. Even if one fails to hide, the enemy AI will only see one opponent and may attack, only to be ambushed by a reinforced army. Ambush battles are not like regular battles, army placement and intelligence are skewed hard in favor of the attacker

rockopete fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 29, 2017

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

hhhmmm posted:

I've been a fan of total war since Shogun, but this is the first iteration where I feel really lost in battles. 20 hours in on a empire campaign.

It is really loving hard to see what is going on.

I've had some success just randomly clicking on units telling them to engage other units. I pause liberally. Siege battles are the worst, followed by anything with forests in them.

Any tips?

StashAugustine posted:

Other people can give better tactical advice, but hold down space and turn off foliage always in the menu on the side of the screen

Arrange your troops as you like
Select a bunch
CTRL G to create a locked group
This group will now remember their formation for move commands (if selected together), ALSO you can give attack orders and they will move forward in parallel until meeting an enemy, rather than all rushing for the one enemy you clicked.

Makes battles much less of a headache. Even so, I pause a fair bit.

If things still move too fast, try using a mod to tweak morale so that units are harder to rout. Vanilla Warhammer has units rout much faster than previous Total War games. Some people like it, others don't.

Speaking of mods, if the AI feels stupid or broken, try the Advanced AI Mod.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

How much of a hammer, as in hammer and anvil, should Bretonnian armies have in campaign? I like the thundering charges but it can be a pain to split attention and micro, even with J.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Don't forget that certain province capitals (Middenheim and Talabheim I think?) have unique cavalry buildings which make reiksguard or otherwise elite empire cavalry cheaper and higher veterancy, and may even provide unique cavalry units (been a while since I played Empire).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Talabheim for Knights of the Blazing Sun, which are less tanky but more powerful on the charge and have flaming weapons and vanguard compared to Reiksguard. SFO adds the Knights Panther in Middenland regions I think, which offer another alternative to Reiksguard in the form of similarly less armored knights that also lose a chunk of charge bonus in exchange for AP damage, minor splash attacks, and a bonus against infantry.

I still prefer the sheer resilience of Reiksguard though, and Demigryphs once you can pay their brutal upkeep.

Even without SFO, I think Carroburg (Middenland, close to Altdorf across the river) might have a unique building which makes Reiksguard cheaper/better as well.

• Locked thread