Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Pretty much the best TW since Shogun 2, but the asymmetry means I'll be playing this way longer than I played Shogun 2.

It's so fantastic to be able to say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I think Orks are the easiest for a new player. Free Waaagh's all the time, no faffing about with trading or diplomacy, just fight fight fight. They teach you to be incredibly aggressive and how turtling is death.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, the value of a free second army can't be understated for a new player, and I speak from experience. Lets you easily autoresolve all those annoying early game sieges you're going to be doing. I wont miss having to babysit fightiness but I'm almost worried that not having it there will make me slow and complacent.

Suggestions for a second playthrough for someone who still kinda sucks?

I found Dwarfs pretty easy once you get over the initial hump, but VC or Empire is probably your best bet. If you don't get a good economy going with Dwarfs it can be tough to keep your upkeep in line.

Empire don't really have anything special to worry about, just make friends with everyone and take Marienburg asap. Then you can hang back for ages until you get Demigryphs and Greatswords and crush your enemies into a fine paste. I think the key to Empire is to expand West, not North. Allow everyone else to wear themselves out on Chaos and VC's while you pick off the unmolested Brettonians and weird loser Mousillon fruits.

VC's are also pretty simple, you just need to learn about corruption. SOmeone else said it earlier, but raise dead really does allow you to cover your mistakes or bolster forces before a fight. It gives you a huge margin for error. Make sure you get the lord skills that let you recruit extra vampires and go crazy. Oh, and Mannfred can basically solo the entire old world.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wallet posted:

Yeah, I don't think this is actually happening in this game.

I can't even find where CA ever said this.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Hmm... so to get Grombrindal I need some kind of key? I doubt anyone has one spare do they? We don't have a Games Workshop here in Galway.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Truecon420 posted:

Just got 3 Codes from the local store. It was a pleasant experience, everyone was nice even though it's pretty early. They had a large selection of stuff, but I just went up and asked for just the codes and they said take a couple. So here are two GROMBRINDAL the White Dwarf Codes:

69ER8-NAYN4-ZEKTJ

J7RQ9-2RNEX-PPFB4

Please reply if you've used one so other people don't waste trying, thankee.

If anyone wants the 20% or knows people who want it message me I have extra.

Both of those codes appear to be already used?

Edit: Ah gently caress, missed it by seconds.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I stopped playing this before any of the DLC came out. I just grabbed everything I was missing and there are now a load of new Lords and things to play with. Are there any good summaries of the strengths/weaknesses of the new lords and their armies?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

There doesn't appear to be an international number, so do we have any Brits in the thread who can do impressions?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dongattack posted:

Is there a way to toggle slow motion without delving into some ramshackle mouse macros?

This button?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I went to my local gaming store but they only had the October edition of WD in stock. For shame LGS, for shame.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The Skarsnik campaign has probably been my favourite so far. I went up the mountain range and unleashed hordes of gobbos down onto the Bretonnians and slowly worked my way down and around to get to the badlands. Its funny how the Greenskins were so quick to confederate me once I'd made some serious bank by looting and sacking Not-France.

I really like how the different starting position changes things up; and having a pure gobbo army is a joy.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

ditty bout my clitty posted:

So, have they all but given up the chaos campaign?

They said they dropped the ball on it and want to go back to it again in future, but it's hard for them to go back and revise stuff when there's so much new stuff coming. They might revise it when they bring in the second Daemon focused Chaos army, maybe.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I like watching SurrealBeliefs; his campaigns are often fun.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Looks like streamers are getting early Wood Elves unlocks. SurrealBeliefs and Tokshen are streaming co-op in 10 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ifmJ8H1jI

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Yup, it's everything for me too. I still need to finish the Beastmen mini campaign as well, so I have my Christmas vacation taken care of nicely.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

What graphical options can I use to lower load times because Streamers load way the hell faster than me.

An SSD is the absolute best upgrade you can get for your PC in general, but Warhams almost requires one.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Fans posted:

While the next game be able to play Armies from this game? Would be a shame if Dwarves never got to fight Skaven.

The next game will be a map expansion. They want it so that by the end of the trilogy yo'll have a world-spanning map with every faction playable in the same grand campaign. They've said the biggest issue will be the crazy turn times in that case :) But they're committed to making it work.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I wish there was a Blood-Bowl style mode that dispensed with the grand campaign and lets you have a persistent army and LL that just fights in random battles to earn money and XP.

I've always considered the complication of the campaign maps to be a misstep in the series.

That sort of arcadey xp grind-a-thon would bore me instantly. I'm very glad they never went down that route and instead stuck to their strategy roots.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Holky gently caress Time Commanders is back tonight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b084xym1

And they have TW superstar Lionheartx as one of the contestants.

And they have Mike Loades and Lynette Nusbacher back again!!!

Ahhhh so excite!

Plavski fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 12, 2016

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Party In My Diapee posted:

Are they using Rome 1 again?

There's a clip on that page - it's Rome 2.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

ZearothK posted:

Maybe I am mismembering, but that sure looks uglier than what Rome 2 looked like for me, and I didn't even have the thing on ultra.

Still excited for the return of the series.

They're probably using "realistic numbers" for the units, so the processing power required to maintain a proper framerate will be immense. TC in the earlier series' had tens of thousands of units doing Gaugamela etc. It looked smooth in the replayed footage, but you could see the framerate was chugging like crazy in the actual game room.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Rome 2 looking good for time commanders. They haven't messed with the formula much, but there's more skirmishes and better historical reenactment stuff.

Hope this uber nerd gets crushed.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I quite like the idea of two teams against each other in time commanders. Before, you felt they were just facing offscreen nerds. Here they're on the stage and you can pick sides. Episodes always have a winner and loser now; you still get the schadenfreude, but it feels more earned.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Time Commanders just finished: to be brief, they changed the format up just enough to be interesting, the battle was solid and it was a good show all around. Pity there's only three in the season - it's as enjoyable as ever.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did Lloyd, Matt and Lionheart win?

They weren't up this week. It was some wrestlers vs. some London boardgaming nerds.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dang, I was hoping for some mugging from wannabe Hannibal. Matt put up a preview video of them at the set and Lindybeige was wearing a fake contact to look like he was blind like Hannibal.

Well tonight's ep was The Battle of Zama, so I wonder why they'll do Hannibal again.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Oh man. I thought I hated welfs this whole time but just realized I hated the mini-campaign and didn't give a poo poo about Orion. Playing the GC as Durthu now and it's finally clicking. I just can't get into a faction unless their LL is hype.

That's why I'm loving Beastmen now: Morghur is amazing.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

Damnit all you know what he means. I would also really like to be able to have more than 2 people for the grand campaign. The really perplexing this is why they took out hotseat multiplayer starting with I think Shogun 2.

A really complex to design and develop feature that's barely used is right at the top of any project managers "drop this like a bad smell" list.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Are Chaos Dwarfs coming? I thought they were no longer can(n)on.

get it, because they've got a cannon

According to the leaked DLC plans, they're coming after Skaven. Their veracity is still debatable, though I don't think they've been wrong yet.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

We'll all be waiting expectantly for Jerusalem's new Dwarves/Tomb Kings LP: A Not-Scotsman in Not-Egypt.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Gejnor posted:

Battlemap Editor Confirmed!

CA posted:

You can use the maps in single player custom battles but not on the grand campaign, in quest battles or otherwise.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Unless your game is literally MP only the proportion of players online is always 5-10% no matter how much effort you put in.

Then you just sit around in a few meetings, put up the MP stats from your Shogun 2 days vs. dev expenditure and cost. You work out an ROI on that feature and try and transplant it onto todays metrics for Total Warhams. You likely find that you make more money by devoting your dev time to new expansions and DLC than you do by devoting your resources to an underplayed, under-promoted buggy piece of work. The idea is dropped and another DLC race is given its resources. And so the cycle of product management rumbles on and on.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I did shogun 2 multiplayer once. My opposition sat on a hill. I sat in a forest. After 5 minutes of staring at each other, I decided this was a waste of time and ran at him and died to his rifles. Fun!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Copy the data to your new hard drive, uninstall the game from steam. Install it again and point the location to where you moved your files. Steam will now discover the files and everything will be fine. I've found it to be faster than the backup and restore feature, but ymmv.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Hell, unlike basically every other TW game, Warhams was great at launch and unpatched. I'm not sure CA gets enough credit for that.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Mod comment sections are the best place to Make the Old World Great Again

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

madmac posted:

On the pointless DLC speculation front, it's worth noting that CA has admitted that Isabella was the free lord on the FLC chart and they had no coherent plan for what they were going to do if they lost MWNL.

https://steamdb.info/app/364360/dlc/

There's also only two slots left, so it's looking very likely that we've got one more paid DLC+The Old Friend and that's it until Game 2.

I'd expect Game 2 in the summer or early autumn tbh. They're determined to keep the pace of content coming and it's not like they have to reinvent the wheel.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Nanomashoes posted:

I thought the last dlc was semi confirmed to be a map expansion down to Araby and Tomb Kings?

Source?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Free Cheese posted:

This guy drones on and on but he definitely knows his warhammer lore

https://youtu.be/ArgCIDta6Lo

I like Arch Warhammer too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

2.1GB update size for those who are interested.

So my key is redeemed on the site and it's bound to my account, but it won't unlock in DLC. It keeps telling me to restart Warhammer now that the DLC has been acquired and I'm unable to install it directly because it hasn't properly unlocked. I guess this is just pre-loading for the 4PM launch.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 27, 2017

• Locked thread