Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Factorio. Do you like logistics? Gigantic over complicated supply chains? Automating everything imaginable, and then blowing up zerg-like monsters?
It is the best, and it is still in alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Homework Explainer posted:

what is the next game i should play between bouts of overwatch, thread. i suppose i could also read a drat book

What types of games do you like? If you like city builders/sim games, try Factorio.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

rear end cobra posted:

Did they ever make the new Sim City non-bad?

The new Sim City is now called Cities:Skylines. The old Sim City was shut down I think.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

NumberLast posted:

lol if you care about sports

Someone who likes LP has no right to judge watching people do something far better than you or I could ever do it.

And I like both.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Baseball is super boring, but the tickets are cheap(lol Mariners) and the stadium has decent garlic fries so I go once a year.

Edit: I usually leave when the team falls apart and we are behind by 5+ points, so usually the 7th inning.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

oystertoadfish posted:

i subscribed to pc gamer in the 90s and probably 99% of my gaming purchases were in the last millennium so i had an n64 and ps2 and all but i really missed the whole modern console experience. all this modern console poo poo is beyond my understanding. and thats ok

Same. I own a charity Xbox 360 and own a few games, but I really don't like console gaming. When I game, I like my mouse and keyboard.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Delightful.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Lol

I haven't a clue. The monitor just says no signal and no amount of rebooting has been able to change that.

Probably your videocard. Your motherboard may have another video out.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I don't understand anything about that router stuff.

Take a picture of the back of your motherboard(where all the connectors are), and I will tell you what to do.
Edit: This used to be my job, sorta.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Homeless Friend posted:

"Weird, I have to vote for Hillary for this to work?"

Voting for Hillary will put all of us to work, friend. :abuela:

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Holy crap, I see what you mean. Premade computers!
That DVI port looks unused, as it looks flat, and a connection would be sticking out. You probably need a new videocard.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I switched to Spotify after that time I left my laptop on the roof of my car in the u-district and drove away

it's nice having everything in the cloud, but I still feel bad for having risked my life and liberty to build up that MP3 "collection" via larceny. I understand your pain matoi

The solution is to use Google Music, upload all your mp3's to Google, and stream them whenever you want.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Oh poo poo I just realized they both say "do not remove" on them. It will be a few months until I can afford a new card. :sigh:

If you don't game, you can probably find something on eBay for ~30 bucks.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I wish it were that simple but i'm way behind on bills, which is why I can't afford computer repairs right now.

Sorry, wish I could help more. Only other possibility is cleaning out the current card, as maybe it is choked with dust and is shutting down immediately?

Homeless Friend posted:

time 2 beg ycs

Donate to buy Matoi Ryuko a pair of pants videocard!

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I need to exercise more, I used to quite a bit when I was just out of high school but that was back when I had to walk 3 miles to work so I was used to it.
My current job is working for an old manufacturing company and wowing people with crazy ideas like 'lets put documents on *the cloud*' and winning awards for those ideas.
It's boring.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

canada is pretty cool,
its cold
we had to make a fire today because it was so cold this morning

tho there is anti americanism up here; like, different types of it
my favorite is rural maritimers who left america due to the revolution way back in the day and they are still bitter about it

Whenever I think of anti-American Canadians, I think of:

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

oystertoadfish posted:

thats a kate beaton comic
kate beaton is cool i didnt make this picture tho

they did
http://canlitissexy-blog.tumblr.com/post/16491864404/kate-beaton-author-of-hark-a-vagrant-canlit-is

I own her book. :blush: I really love history, and her comics are great. Showed them to my wife and she was all :confused: Why is that funny?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Classic Comrade posted:

checking in here 2 say that pizza that gets super floppy after it gets reheated, is the saddest kind of pizza.

Please don't microwave pizza, your taste buds will thank you.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Peztopiary posted:

I roasted a bunch of different kinds of mushrooms only this time I used sesame oil instead of olive oil. It worked out really well. Gotta put some chipotle chili powder on them when you put them in the oven, that's the secret to amazing roasted mushrooms.

Try avocado oil sometime, it's very buttery and it has a higher smoke point. I usually use a mix of avocado oil and butter when cooking mushrooms.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Classic Comrade posted:

drat that sounds good; i've never heard of avocado oil. i don't think i've even seen it in grocery stores around here or anything.

maybe i'll have to look at a fancier grocery store like whole foods or trader joes or somethin

Its at Costco for 8 bucks for 6+ months worth of oil, don't get ripped off elsewhere.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

NumberLast posted:

You know that part of the night where it's time to go to bed but you'll look for anything to delay actually doing it?

I suffer from horrible insomnia on a regular basis and have since I was a kid, so yes. :(

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

A new offsite location? Share it with us, please!

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Goetta posted:

I like how this forum is so bitter that the off-topic chat thread just talks about probating people

You will find that we discuss many things in the chat thread.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Homework Explainer posted:

Adventures in OKCupid

How is this person an 83% match for a literal Communist?

Hell, I'm just a leftist and her answers make me mad.

Somebody has issued a correction as of 10:01 on Dec 19, 2017

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Classic Comrade posted:

also i forgot if it was you mrit but let's pretend it was:

i actually looked for avocado oil at stop n shop today and it was there

so there ya go i guess

but yeah lol it's very expensive when it's not in bulk!

It was me, and that sucks. Just went to Costco yesterday, huge thing of avacado oil for 8 bucks.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Classic Comrade posted:

okay i dunno if there are any bug/insect nerds on here but like

this huge fuckin bug flew over my head in my kitchen and i can't find it which is freaking me out

at first i thought it was a wasp or hornet or a beetle

but it didn't buzz really loudly, if at all, which made me think maybe it's a moth? but it seemed to have a big stinger-lookin thing on it's butt??? and it was like maybe half the size of my pinky

goddamn i'm just gonna be holed up in my bedroom now like :tinfoil:

I trained my dog to kill large flies and moths if they are inside the house. She even knows to show me them, then take them outside and spit them out(though she eats them sometimes).

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Peztopiary posted:

don't worry the house spiders will kill it.
unless you're the type to murder house spiders, in which case your comeuppance has arrived.
(Where do you live in general? That's going to help narrow things down)
*edit*

I tried the avocado oil when I made mushrooms. They were much better than when I'd been using olive oil but about the same as when I used sesame oil, maybe a little better. Thanks for the good advice Mrit.

Avocado oil is awesome for everything since it has a smoke point of a blistering 520F, highest of all commonly used oils(for example, evoo has a smoke point of 320F). It tastes buttery, and is one of the healthier oils around.
It's also hasn't been pushed by celebs much so it is still reasonably priced.
I showed my sister-in-law how to properly caramelize onions and cook mushrooms last week, she usually cooked them together(???) so we fixed that.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Solvent posted:

I like it, but it gives me some degree of anxiety when I play it.
Like for example, after 6 or 8 hours vanish into the machine, I feel similar to how I do when I get off work.
I should be collecting a paycheck after optimizing assembly lines for so many hours.

Your payment is blowing up aliens. And you are well paid.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
gently caress You I'm Right

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Solvent posted:

Am I right? Have I seen your picture? Are you really a skinny little white guy with glasses?

This probably describes half the people in this forum.

The other half are fat.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

I'm guessing... Daleel.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

you win, although there's a penalty for checking the leper's colony (if you did)

I didn't, it just sounds like his brand of :qq:

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Karl Barks posted:

i just pass on the right. Tailing and flashing lights is bonkers imo

Passing on the right is actually dangerous, especially since someone going slow on the left will force multiple people to pass on the right. I personally try and flash lights and eventually a brief 'honk' before going that route, but I live in Seattle, land of 'I'm going 58 in the left lane, how dare you honk at me!'.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

gently caress you Sheng-ji Yang for banning kissinger

Kissinger was good, then you started posting with it out of character and it started being lame. imo

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Solvent posted:

Women aren't impressed by all that poo poo anyways, guys are. Sitting in the sauna, seeing guys flex at each other, it all just seems so gay.

This is just such a weird statement. Anyway, I'm off to flex at men in a locker room, all gayly.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Cephalocidal posted:

Tomatoes are bullshit but the rest of that looks great. Cold. Man, I want cold food.

Tomatoes are delicious.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

(beef in the oven, gonna cover it in mushrooms and aparagus in 40 mins)

ya, basically white people need to wake up and roast beef

act like white people again, own firearms, drink beer

dont give a gently caress about tofu, kale or gluten

eat real food, be real again

own a truck, drive it well, don't even think about uber

know your neighbors, love them, cherish them

worship again

I also agree with some of this post. And would like to say tofu is good, just not when you are using it to replace meat. Because meat is also good.

Oh, and now I am making asparagus with dinner tomorrow.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

exploding mummy posted:

Do it one post a minute for every 10 minutes followed by 6 hour breaks

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Is it common for a wedding ceremony to start late? Was supposed to start at 7:00, never seen this before... Bride seems to be MIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Peztopiary posted:

Bride pulled a runner, eh? It happens. Eat as much free food at the reception as you can.

They eventually showed, 75 minutes after the ceremony was supposed to begin, and had a 5 minute ceremony. Then we ate a fully vegetarian meal with vegan and gluten-free options. :geno:

• Locked thread