Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I'd like to humbly pimp my own mods, I made four but here are the two that are worth a drat:

Caps and Masks
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8836/
Adds a bunch of hats and bandanas and poo poo.

Delta Wasteland Radio
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11087/
Includes about 70 old blues songs and a robot DJ.

Currently working on some leveled lists so good armor collections like Femshepping and Elianora's will appear on NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Deified Data posted:

This post has currently been set to hidden by the author. You cannot look at this post or reply to this post until the author makes the post visible to the public again.

The reason given by the author is: console plebs

Hey just wondering, when can we expect to see this thread ported over to consoles?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Anyone want to help me test some leveled lists?
http://www.filedropper.com/mergedclothes

I took outfits from Commonwealth Survivalist Gear, Femshepping one and two (females only, male NPCs will default to something else), and Elianora and applied them to wastelanders, settlers, raiders, gunners and caravan guards. You'll need to download the original clothes packs for any of them to work. There are three separate .esps in the download, one for each, but to use all three together you need the merged patch in the download, placed below the other three in your load order.

Caveat: I have no idea if one guy's merged patch will work for someone else. It might not, it all depends on form ID numbering. I googled the question but turned up nothing either way. I think the worst that could happen is that you just won't see all three clothes packs showing up at the same time.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

It does - that's how all compatibility patches are made. I mean you probably aren't using the "merge plugin" feature for just two or three compatible mods, but all a merged patch does is manage record conflicts automatically.

Record conflicts yeah, but the actual reference number for any piece of equipment or anything is going to be different for everyone depending on where it is in your load order, isn't it? That's why you need to use the "help" command in the console to get the ref ID for any item you want to give yourself from a mod, the mod maker could just tell you a number to use but that likely won't be the same for your own game

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

It'll be different sure, but it's not something you need to worry about, otherwise compatibility patches would be impossible. The plugin reference in the formID won't be the same, but it's automatically calculated based on load order so even when making compatibility patches you don't need to worry about it. Fallout handles it just fine, as does FO4Edit.

To test it for yourself, rearrange your load order slightly and then load up the lot in FO4Edit. You'll note that the loadorder prefix of the formID will have changed, and it's no different for anyone else. Just make sure that your patch has its masters set up properly.

OK, cool. Without looking, I assumed a lot of patches went the long and hard way, of adding the item IDs themselves or something all to the same file. I was dreading that.

The issue I'm having now in my testing is Gunners and raiders spawning in just underwear and over-armor, with the new outfits in their inventory but not equipped. I changed the body part flags so the outfits should function as underarmor but it's still not happening.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I set that outfit thing aside for now because I finally figured out how I want to overhaul the skill system: Perk Paths.

All the perks will fall under certain playstyle templates, like "Sniper," "Spook," "Duelist," "Extrovert" or "Survivor." Some paths or perks will be mutually exclusive (e.g. Night Person vs. Day Person) while a few perks will be attainable through different paths. For example, Locksmith will be attainable if you're on either the Spook (sneak-based) or Tinkerer (scrapping and crafting based) path, on account of your nimble fingers, but Pickpocket is strictly a Spook path perk.

The first draft might be a little confusing unless it's actually possible to rearrange the stupid animated icons on the poster.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Mapped out my Perk Paths, here's the first draft. Paths which are fully or partially mutually exclusive are noted, and progression in each path isn't necessarily linear as shown. Tell me if it makes sense and if things are a good thematic/gameplay fit.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Found out by accident that you can completely rearrange the perk icons on the poster depending on what stat and level you assign each. They just don't all line up as well as in their original spots.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

2house2fly posted:

So wait, there's no way to do a merged patch on consoles? If you download two weapon packs then whoops oh well? I guess there might be megapacks or something eventually.

Azhais posted:

Just refuse to use any weapon mod that doesn't use armor and weapon keywords expanded

Merged Patches make sure mods that add items to leveled lists don't overwrite each other, e.g. if two different mods make a new gun spawn on raiders, then without a patch the game will only use the list that's lower in the load order. The keywords mods only affect crafting lists, which almost never run into conflicts. They just keep things tidy and prevent running over some sort of crafting keyword limit in the game.

Unless the architecture is completely different though, I don't see why merged patches couldn't work on consoles actually. Mods are locally stored info and load order still matters, and all a patch is is a new leveled list that includes copies of all mods you include when making it.

Anyway, back to the first question, if you only care about being able to craft and use different guns yourself without worrying about whether they show up on merchants or baddies, you should be fine.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Azhais posted:

AWKCR handles the leveled lists too

Are we thinking of the same thing? I'm looking at ArmorKeywords.esm in xEdit and leveled lists are nowhere in here, or mentioned on the mod's page or in its comments thread. What am I missing?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Finished my perk overhaul and published it, try it out and tell me what you think

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14997/

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

FlyinPingu posted:

as long as there are nexus users to endlessly fellate them they'll never stop modding. Even the modders who take their mods down in protest against big mean ol' bethesda will throw them back up when they start to miss having praise heaped upon them by mindless internet strangers

Reminds me, I noticed that the New Vegas Interiors guy took his stuff down. It's not even the FO4 Nexus site for crissake

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I wonder why we've never encountered an unopened vault in a Fallout game where we'd get to be the first outsider they've seen in centuries.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Does computer text turn New Vegas yellow sometimes in Fallout 4? somebody please debunk this so I don't get my hopes up for this being an easter egg for a New Vegas Obsidian developed Fallout.

I think it has to do with power armor, since that turns all the computery UI stuff amber and it seems like the effect doesn't always go away?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Upgraded my perk overhaul to 2.0, every single one of the perks from the poster has been affected.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14997/

Here's what the paths look like now:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

The alt start mod Live Another Life updated and it's weird and kind of bad now. Used to be you'd start the vanilla intro, make your character in front of the bathroom mirror, then get whisked away to a nondescript room where there's a terminal that lets you choose starting gear and location. Now you start in a "synth processing facility" and the gear and location are determined by the profession you choose.

staberind posted:

I shall admit that this news excites me a little, VTM was pretty excellent,

That looks good, I do have a dumb suggestion though: now I am using BMW, strong back is not really as much of an issue, so, if you feel more confident later in your hacking that poster up, you could make paths like game hunter, fisherking, Asimov, wasp factory, mutate to survive, & so on, which can give you damage buffs/defense against various mobs in the wasteland, eventually making them nonhostile/allies.

Aren't there already perks like that? The Animal Friend/Wasteland Whisperer one pretty much covers everything, though if I ever make changes to how the perks themselves function I'd want to tack WW onto AF as higher ranks and do something else with the spot AF is in.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Seashell Salesman posted:

Agreed. I would love a mod that got rid of all random and scripted legendary enemy spawns and gear. The modification stuff on weapons and armor is already enough, if anything I'd rather just have more re-skins of existing weapons with same ammo and slightly changed stats.

If you like pipe weapons that's exactly what this appears to be:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7556/

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I gave the beta of Mod Organizer 2 another try but I'm still having the same issue as the first time -- the mods all load, because it doesn't give me any missing mod errors, but none of the mods actually load -- all invisible meshes etc. I'd like something less cumbersome than "run .bat file to add asterisks to the load list" because it doesn't actually work half the time and I have to restart.

(Speaking of, has anyone noticed faster load times since the latest stealth game update?)

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh this is OP levels of pretty drat good, Saint Sputnik could you possibly add this to the perk revamp as well?

Looks good, I can see if he'll give me permission. I might take a lot of perk change ideas from other mods if I can. It also makes me think we need a new crafting table to handle things like this: a computer terminal.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Seashell Salesman posted:

Can you explain a bit more about how this repros for you? I have experienced some weirdness about how the plugins.txt file is getting populated (or not, rather) but not what you are describing I don't think.

E: also how does the older stable MO work for FO4? Haven't tried it

The older stable MO works ok, just like I said, I have to run a .bat file to autogenerate asterisks in plugins.txt and even then, the game only recognizes the mods every other time. It worked pretty much right out of the box, before Bethesda hosed everything with that stupid asterisk thing, and I transferred over all my profile info -- pref.ini's and so on -- so I can see zero reason it wouldn't act like the older one and read mesh files without a problem, they're all right there in the main game directory.

e:

Robzilla posted:

Pretty much the number one reason I love using MO.

What is that?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Otacon posted:

Link to the creator: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/users/1573725/?tb=images&pUp=1
Apparently he gets less than 10 fps with a 980 TI.

That's nothing, I get less than 10 just by staring at an interior light source.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Mod organizer had to be totally rebuilt to work with fallout 4 so it's a bit unfinished at the moment. Even so it's still heaps better than any other option. The mo2 beta 3 is fairly stable I've found.

What dark magic ritual did you perform to actually get new outfit/weapon models to show up instead of being invisible?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Really liking the alternative "perk pathing" mod in the OP but I think it may have affected the game in an odd way - I no longer get notifications for XP or level gain. Like if I go up a level I have to notice it from inventory. Not sure how to fix it.

I can't even guess why it would do that, it only touches perks. What else are you using that might affect XP/leveling up? e: And which perks have you taken so I know which ones to look at more closely?

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 2, 2016

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Push all mods under Creative Commons, let the goobers cry in silence out in Galt's Gulch

I volunteer to make an area called Galt's Gulch and populate it with modder NPCs who carry "tear water" consumables with miraculous restorative properties.

Here's my current Load Order

I suppose SLR and CROSS might futz with the XP system given their ties to stronghold building

Another Life looks like the only other thing there that would touch perks or experience, and I stopped updating it when he started making it not good so I lost track of what changes it makes now. I don't think I ever noticed xp gain myself either way because I play with the UI completely turned off, but I'll see if I can duplicate the problem. Did you use perkpaths on a new or existing game, and are you seeing the problem with all xp gain or just doing certain actions?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

New game, and it seemingly affects everything - my XP bar changes but I don't even get notifications for quest completion.

Which class did you choose in Another Life? I'll download his latest version and see if anything there looks hinky. e: Play around with your load order a little too, try placing it below Another Life. In the meantime I'm loading the game up now to poke around, haven't played in a while.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 2, 2016

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm guessing that's it - I went straight for Vault Dweller to skip the extended intro and it probably gave me that "+5% XP from all sources" thing. Thing is, up until a certain point I was getting the notifications - it was only about halfway into building my Sanctuary fortress did I notice that placing stuff was no longer showing XP gains. I assumed I'd hit some sort of soft cap but then nothing was showing the gains.

I looked at the perk he uses to add xp for that class and it seems fine, it's identical to vanilla perks that give an xp boost, and I don't think it's possible for a perk to turn off notifications anyway. Nothing in his mod looks like it would touch that actually. And when I started a new game with PP loaded it displayed xp gain and leveling up as normal, at least for the first couple levels. Don't know why it would quit after that. The only other thing I can think of now is experimenting with your load order.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

jadebullet posted:

There are a couple of mods listed in the main document in the OP regarding better robots. I have them installed, but haven't gotten there yet, unfortunately.

There are mods to give you access to the robot making bench immediately, if your problem is the level requirement. Also trivial to load the DLC up in xEdit and remove the requirement yourself.

e:

Noirex posted:

Anyone has any experience or thoughts on this mod? Looks like it might make the combat and survival mode more interesting.

Better Locational Damage - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3815/

Similarly, someone made a mod that makes crotch shots an option but also included a ton of other dumb changes, so I edited out everything but the dick punching: http://www.filedropper.com/dickpunch-simple

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 3, 2016

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Hobo on Fire posted:

It adds a "museum" where you can display all the unique weapons and items you'll find in the game. Also unique stuff from its own questline. And unique weapons the author found on the nexus and liked the look of.

I ended up ditching it because it added too much new stuff that I had zero interest in, which is a shame because it is really well put together. If there had been a "light" version available that was just for vanilla/DLC content, I would have loved it.

Is that also the one that lets you make a companion of another Dragonborn you've played?

Cirosan posted:

Side note: I did end up submitting Traits and More Perks to that Nvidia modding contest. It lost out to a "pew pew" sound replacer and a Portal 2 joke item. I have no comment.

Sorry to hear it, yours was one of the first mods to add new perks and it hasn't been surpassed yet as far as I know. It's poo poo like that that killed my desire to contribute to the modding scene pretty quick.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Thought it was safe to get back into this game now that there's no more DLC coming to systematically gently caress all my mods, boy was I wrong. Using Mod Organizer2.3 or whatever the very newest version is, and when it's not just outright CTD'ing I can't even get simple things like a radio station or texture replacer to work.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

In the meantime, there's a couple favorite mods I used earlier this year that I can't find again in either my Nexus downloads list or the spot on my spare HD where I stashed the downloads. One is like a variation on pipe guns, very modifiable but much nicer looking; the other is a set of NCR Ranger looking riot armor under a brown coat, with a thigh-length variant and a waist-length variant. Those sound familiar to anyone?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

e: /\/\/\ It's a retex of the Rebel armor by the same guy who did the one I was looking for, Scavenged NCR. So he took down the original along with his other mods...

SeanBeansShako posted:

For the first I'd suggest Defense Gun which replaces Pipe weaponry entirely with some really nice look lore friendly sub machine guns and semi-automatic pistols. The latter sadly the NCR Survivor Desert Ranger gear that was taken down over the console modder drama bullshit.

Cheers, I kept seeing Defense Gun in my download and tracked lists and assumed it was a sentry gun turret mod so I didnt bother clicking on it. Too bad about the other one.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Btw I don't know if you saw it but the Nuka World update messed up your perk tree mod a little bit

I expected it would. I'll fix it sometime after I've tried out a few other newer perk overhauls so I can get an idea of where I might want to go with it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Anyone have experience texture editing and can clear this up for me? I've been using NVidia's plugin for Photoshop for ages but only with Fallout have I encountered an issue loading some textures from mods I've downloaded. Some of them appear all black, or mostly black with some weird repeating artefacts all over them.

Intel now has a .dds plugin and the ones that don't load properly with NVidia's do appear fine using Intel's, but the advice I've read says to mainly only use Intel's plugin for normal and spec maps and not diffuse. I'm also not as familiar with the particulars of Intel's plugin, the save settings and so on, and can't find any good guides for it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

The normal maps don't work properly in Nvidia's Photoshop plugin. Something about the format is odd? Intel's works just fine. I can give you the settings I use! I forget where I even found them, but it was somewhere weird, like an extensive Google search that ended up in Loverslab or something...

Thanks! Someone finally made a nice New Vegas style cowboy hat but his texture could use some work, but his was one of the ones not loading right in PS.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16991/

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

I figure I'll just condense that stuff into something that someone can quote in a tutorial if they want. I know it was a pain in the rear end for me to find the settings in particular.

Quick and Simple Intel Plugin Tips:

Diffuse: BC1. Lower quality, no alpha.
Diffuse with alpha: BC7. Higher quality, bigger file size, alpha.
Normal Map: BC5.
Specular: BC5.

Should compression really be that severe for a diffuse image? When I look at the preview, it cuts the size of the existing file by 80 percent and it degrades the image a lot visually:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Trying to make a bigass merged patch of 25 mods that affect leveled lists but my game doesn't like something in it and crashes on startup. hrm. Maybe I have to play with the load order included in the patch.

e: I wonder if it has something to do with the way I make it, I load a bunch of mods I think might need combined and it ends up only putting in the ones that do so, so it results in... gaps in the ordering?

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 17, 2016

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Saint Sputnik posted:

Trying to make a bigass merged patch of 25 mods that affect leveled lists but my game doesn't like something in it and crashes on startup. hrm. Maybe I have to play with the load order included in the patch.

e: I wonder if it has something to do with the way I make it, I load a bunch of mods I think might need combined and it ends up only putting in the ones that do so, so it results in... gaps in the ordering?

Ok it works now. My issue now is trying to find some good balance tweaks, I played for a bit and immediately found some flies who wouldn't die with multiple close shotgun blasts and some loving crab monsters who survived grenades and an exploding car. I seem to remember the limb damage mod not being so poo poo.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Honestly, and forgive me for self advertising. but Create Your Own Difficulty Rebalance is a good way to start dealing with that.

E: also I just realized that the link to Customize Legendary Enemy Spawning in the OP is incorrect. This is the correct link: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/218

After trying out a few of the major packages I ended up going with Horizon, though it does weird things with Survival needs that I may need to correct, and it's hard going back to a perk tree with level requirements. But the others I tried were even more broken, and at least this way I can replace a bunch of other .esp's with just one.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Falken posted:

Yeah, and somebody else has been making animations as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6gOwcinzR0

gently caress your gun reloading someone already made the only animation that matters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_zkKN2tPqc

staberind posted:

I am not a MO user so I cannot comment,
I'd imagine for awkcr, loads and so on, you can make an override that sits at the bottom of your load order, like in your merged levelled list patch you get from the merge function in xedit.

copy the weapon info you need to edit into that patch, then add keywords you think it might need from awkcr, looking at similar weapons.
I think my biggest bit of advice is: as stuff is updated on the reg, do all your editing on overrides, if an update breaks your overrides, you can easily copy the changes into the override.

Occasionally xedit just spazzes out and adds nothing to your levelled list plugin, if that happens, just try again.

I usually roll around in power armour, however, modern weapons now has some tactilol armor that also drops, also have a look on the nexus for some armor and add it to the levelled lists.

Why does your XEdit look like that?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

So I'm a little confused, what version of the .exe are we currently at after these updates and rollbacks and poo poo? is there a way for me to see without launching the game?

Gonkish posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18915/

This is a pretty cool idea. A single-shot, high damage sniper rifle made out pipes and random poo poo and stuff.

I both love and hate this new trend of adding poo poo to LLs via scripts. Probably no impact if it's something that just runs once at startup and it makes compatibility easier, but then you're kind of at the mercy of their version of LL integration (his spawns at 20) whereas I prefer an unleveled game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Why the heck would all my saves be corrupt and then the game crash on trying to create an exitsave?