Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
For the modlist:

AWCKR should definitely be included, as it ties together a bunch of different weapon mods and enables weapon mods built to be compatible with it to be crafted.

Besides that, here's a list of my mods that I've written:

Carry Weight Modifications: Lets you set a base carry weight, which is essentially the same thing as using modav carryweight. What's more interesting is that this mod also lets you set carry weight per strength level, so you can customize how much strength you want to gain per level up.

Craftable Guns and Weapons: As it says on the tin, puts in a crafting station that lets you craft, well, guns and weapons. There are a number of other mods that do the same thing, several of which are more complete, namely Crafting Workbenches. Crafting Workbenches is certainly more expansive than my version, though I will say that I was the first person to figure out how to setup weapon crafting for fallout 4. Nonetheless, if you want a more minimalist setup, Craftable Guns and Weapons is the way to go. If you want lots of options, go for Crafting Workbenches.

Create Your Own Difficulty Rebalance: A surprisingly essential mod for lots of people, this lets you customize the damage multiplier for both you and for enemies. If you find you're dying too quickly or tanking too much, this mod is for you. Same goes if you're annoyed by enemy damage sponginess, or think you're cutting through raiders too quickly. This mod allows you to fine tune exactly how much damage you deal and how much damage you take.

Customize Legendary Enemy Spawning: A slightly finnicky mod, this lets you customize the rarity and spawn chance for legendary enemies, as well as, optionally, disabling randomly spawned legendary enemies altogether. Read the description as it goes into more detail, but basically it lets you determine both the pool of potentially legendary enemies as well as the chance those enemies will spawn as legendary. If you want nearly every enemy to be legendary, or none at all, download away.

Customize Power Armor and Jetpack Drain: I really loathe fusion core management, so I made this mod that lets you eliminate/reduce (or increase) the amount Power Armor and Jetpack use drains the fusion core.

Easy Lockpicking: Sets the sweet spot to be the entire lockpick bar, so turn right and it opens. You still need the perks however.

No Fall Damage: Do I need to explain this one?

Unbreakable Power Armor: ibid. Your power armor durability never decreases. Doesn't apply to companions since doing so causes some facial bugs.

Weapon Balance Overhaul: Probably the mod I've spent the most time and effort on, if you exclude the time spent figuring out how to implement weapon crafting in the days before FO4Edit came out. A complete overhaul of all the weapons and most of the attachments in the game, the design principle I work to is making sure every weapon in the game is good at something, and that they are balanced relative to one another. The result of this is that almost every weapon in the game is stronger, because I wanted to make sure they had at least one area in which they excelled. I hated how quickly pipe weapons became obsolete and how the combat rifle was basically the best thing to use in every situation, so now if you have a favourite weapon, you don't have to feel like you're screwing yourself over.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Saint Sputnik posted:

Caveat: I have no idea if one guy's merged patch will work for someone else. It might not, it all depends on form ID numbering. I googled the question but turned up nothing either way. I think the worst that could happen is that you just won't see all three clothes packs showing up at the same time.

It does - that's how all compatibility patches are made. I mean you probably aren't using the "merge plugin" feature for just two or three compatible mods, but all a merged patch does is manage record conflicts automatically.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Saint Sputnik posted:

Record conflicts yeah, but the actual reference number for any piece of equipment or anything is going to be different for everyone depending on where it is in your load order, isn't it? That's why you need to use the "help" command in the console to get the ref ID for any item you want to give yourself from a mod, the mod maker could just tell you a number to use but that likely won't be the same for your own game

It'll be different sure, but it's not something you need to worry about, otherwise compatibility patches would be impossible. The plugin reference in the formID won't be the same, but it's automatically calculated based on load order so even when making compatibility patches you don't need to worry about it. Fallout handles it just fine, as does FO4Edit.

To test it for yourself, rearrange your load order slightly and then load up the lot in FO4Edit. You'll note that the loadorder prefix of the formID will have changed, and it's no different for anyone else. Just make sure that your patch has its masters set up properly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Saint Sputnik posted:

Mapped out my Perk Paths, here's the first draft. Paths which are fully or partially mutually exclusive are noted, and progression in each path isn't necessarily linear as shown. Tell me if it makes sense and if things are a good thematic/gameplay fit.

thematically it works fine. However, just as a general principle - I would expand perks or create new perks before I started restricting the old ones.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Plotac 75 posted:

Am I right in assuming that FO4Edit and Mod Organizer 2 are mutually exclusive in use, or do I just not know how to use them properly together?

Run FO4Edit through Mod Organizer, though aside from BSA management, NMM isn't too bad these days.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

So I need some help. When I go to start a new game I CTD. I don't think it's my mods because I disable all the plugins and nothing changes. I did end up downloading the Fallout4 configuration mod and turned off the intro video which seems to have added a delay before the CTD after trying to start a new game, if that helps.

You have a missing master. Delete plugins and dlclist.txt and reload NMM

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The problem with merged patches For the xbox is that there's no way to, well, actually make the dang thing. There's no way for end users to create merged patches themselves, and given the lack of FOMOD support there's no way to provide different installation options that are compatible by default.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Azhais posted:

Yeah, after I hosed up my mods (external to any program) and reinstalled fallout entirely I decided to try MO2 (the latest beta that supported 1.5) instead of NMM since everyone kept saying it was better and NMM was "unintuitive" (whatever that means, just hit the drat checkbox, what's to be intuitive?) and it was a real hassle getting anything functional out of it. I was tearing my hair out trying to get even trivial mods working right, half of the installers didn't seem to work, and I finally gave up on it entirely after trying to install a mod and it kept giving me poo poo about "Can't figure out how to install this, here, have a drag and drop interface and I'd like you to rearrange the files until this box goes green".

NMM, on the other hand, installed it all cleanly the first time and it all worked as expected

Yeah honestly, MO is miles and miles better than NMM for skyrim, but MO2 has been super glitchy for fo4 so I've just stuck with NMM.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

widespread posted:

So uh. I want to run Fallout 4 with mods and dumb ENB poo poo but like, base game and mods only get me to 30-50 FPS. Barring hardware upgrades, there anything I'm missing?

Mod List for ref:

And also if it really is just "upgrade rig", then that's fine.

What's your rig?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

widespread posted:

Also to note, FO4's on an external with USB 3.0.

well you have a poo poo processor and poo poo video card, so yeah that makes sense you get poor settings. My laptop is ~roughly~ equivalent or a bit more powerful (until throttling sets in) and I am generally happy to get 30 on low @ 1080p. I would advise you to buy a r480 when they come out at the end of the month for $200 or so, or a used GTX 970 for around the same price. The latter is much more available.

You'll wanna replace that CPU eventually but that's a much more expensive upgrade.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

FordCQC posted:

Have any of the weapon rebalance mods been ported to console?

Mine has, yes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

I haven't noticed anyone ITT mention Full Weapon Rebablance yet. It's a bit of a shame that the author hasn't updated it since January because I've been playing it with Impervious Power Armor and the AI improvements in Arbitration and the resulting combat feels much better than Vanilla to me.

The biggest thing that FWR addresses for me is the different weapons or receivers changing the damage a given bullet does. One RPG thing I can just never wrap my head around is when guns that fire the same cartridge do drastically different amounts of damage, and in FO4 it kind of wrecks the full auto weapons. FWR makes it actually worthwhile to burn through ammo in full auto, and the destruction stuff like the minigun does actually feels powerful. Basically how it works is the guy estimated the muzzle energy of the projectile weapons and then scaled the damage on everything else linearly against the .38's muzzle energy (whose damage was unchanged).

personally i prefer my own weapon rebalance mod linked in the OP (it's also on beth.net for those console players out there!) but for a more technical rebalance this should serve as well, as I mostly focused on gunfeel and balancing weapons against one another.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Was thinking of getting back into fallout 4 soon and this was a great post.

Are there any good weapon overhauls, survival mode overhauls or gameplay overhauls that are worth looking into by now? the only real gameplay mod I had was the armorsmith extended just so I could wear different looking outfits without weakening myself.

plugging my Weapon Balance Overhaul mod linked in the OP. Rebalances and overhauls vanilla weapons, making sure every weapon is good at something, so pipe weapons aren't utterly obsolete and the combat rifle doesn't overpower literally everything.

Also has the side effect of making vanilla weapons usable after you've installed modded weapons.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

boneration posted:

Any plans to update it to include the Far Harbor weapons?

Yes! I will absolutely do so at some point, ideally in the near future. Just been a bit hectic with working full time and classes on top of that, so I haven't had much time for fallout.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

I'm running about 200 atm.

As long as you write the patch for them they usually work fine.

Yeah honestly i was running 220 or so plugins, but if you're comfortable enough in FO4edit it's really easy to write a merged patch to address all incompatibilities.

like I literally had no incompatibilities beyond things overwriting the unofficial patch and the item sorting mod, and those I could manage myself.

The other thing is that unlike Skyrim, Fallout 4 is more stable generally and there are very few scripted mods out yet.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

HnK416 posted:

I'm having a pretty aggravating issue with the game. No matter what, if I load the game up mods (even if it's one single mod active) it CTD's while loading. I've tried everything I can think of outside of manually deleting every mod and reinstalling them. Any advise?

Delete plugins.txt and dlclist.txt in local appdata

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Noirex posted:

Sweet, thinking to start a new stealthy run with it. Agility stats and headshots all the way. Guessing Weapon Balance Overhaul by The Iron Rose conflicts with that mod though which sucks.

It will only conflict if he edits weapons or weapon attachments.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The "More Spawns" mod is actually really good. It comes with a holotape with a bunch of presets (low, medium, high, insane) and then you can go and further customize the spawn amounts on a per race basis, humans, wildlife, mutants, ghouls, even flying bugs (by default, all profiles are set to 0 because the guy hates them or something) -- I've only had one issue with it during the silver shroud quest you have to temporarily disable it with the holotape, because otherwise the raiders it spawns gently caress up the quest. After that, I just turned it back on and went on my merry way.

The medium setting is adequate for me.

Oh it also has a clean up script so it automatically tidies up the extra spawns so it doesn't gently caress your save or kill your computer.

well don't link it or anything

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Bholder posted:

Considering none of these mod contests in the past had any professionalism to them, not sure why anyone cares.

Because there was like 5 grand on the line. Somewhat annoyed that I missed out too.

Then again the fallout 4 modding community is loving poisonous as hell, and mod users are obviously universally terrible. I have 3 quarters of a million unique users and lemme tell you the amount of poo poo i've gotten? no thank you.

So no judgement on my part Cirosan, from one mod maker to another. At this point, gently caress what the users want. I'll make mods because i enjoy them, on my own time.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Since modders don't really get paid for it it's hard to say whether downloading and using his mod is really "supporting" him. Just take it for free and comment calling him an rear end in a top hat, win win.

Wellllll I put a donation button on my nexus pages and I've made like 800 bucks from it this year, so I dunno about that!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

I presume every modder is a jerk anyway

as a modder and a certified jerk i can confirm

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Are there any mods like (or supplements to) the Weapon Balance Overhaul that actually address everything added by DLC? WBO's author hinted at working on something, but that was about three months ago and I gotta get my game on finally.

So I'm the author of WBO, and to be entirely honest I just haven't been at all interested in fallout recently. Add working full time, classes, filling out a sf86, on top of general disinterest and you'll have a bad time.

Fortunately, my summer job has finished and I literally placed an order for a very fancy $2400 laptop with a 1070 like, fifteen minutes ago, and if that doesn't get me back in the saddle I dunno what will. So two weeks or so, that's my ETA.

In any event, WBO is very savegame friendly. You can also just make your own changes in FO4edit as well if you get tired of waiting!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Very interesting, thanks for the information. Well I hope you get back into it! I love the mod and haven't really touched the game since Automatron, but I basically refuse to get back into it without things like WBO un-loving aspects of the game.

What laptop did you get?

The Aorus x5 v6, which came out yesterday.

Has a fancy 3K screen with GSYNC and I really really dig the RGB keyboard. It's also 2.3 cm thick, which is pretty dang tiny for a gaming laptop.

Runs Fallout 4 at ~40FPS Ultra... in 4K. Something like 100FPS @ 1080p.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

staberind posted:

Well, What I do is find a similar weapon for crafting, duplicate the recipe, but get it to spit out my weapon.
I think I did the same for levelled lists, basically make a duplicate of a similar weapon, and change a few things so its going to sit in a good place on the levelled list, when I have got my game to behave, I'll try to do a pdf walkthrough with some bare bones weapon mods, then the same with armor, like, importing from skyrim,
Although I have been waiting for this dlc for a bit, so went off to do other things, I'll have to get reacquainted with the cheap and nasty patch-togethers I did. plus, I am by no means an accomplished modder in FO4.

Phone posting so no link but a good starting point might be to download my weapon crafting mod, which is basically a super lightweight tutorial on how to implement custom crafting.

As for merging levelled lists, if you just create a merged patch in FO4Edit it'll handle all your levelled list conflicts appropriately. Any additional mods you add are easy to add to the merged patch, just apply filter for cleaning and click and drag in the event of a conflict.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Saint Sputnik posted:

Thought it was safe to get back into this game now that there's no more DLC coming to systematically gently caress all my mods, boy was I wrong. Using Mod Organizer2.3 or whatever the very newest version is, and when it's not just outright CTD'ing I can't even get simple things like a radio station or texture replacer to work.

just use NMM.

MO is absolutely fantastic for managing texture overrides and the like, and I can't wait till it's at the point where it's usable above NMM. But while it works decently for most people, when I'm modding, I like something that's a bit more convenient.

give it a few months and I'll recommend it over NMM. I absolutely recommend it over NMM for skyrim.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 11, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kenlon posted:

Does Weapon Balance Overhaul work and play well with the later DLCs? It looks like Iron Rose has stopped updating it, which is why I ask. I've tried using other weapon rebalance mods, and none of them seem as good as I remember WBO being.

yeah it works fine, just doesn't touch dlc weapons. can't speak to the compatibility patches tho

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Saint Sputnik posted:

Ok it works now. My issue now is trying to find some good balance tweaks, I played for a bit and immediately found some flies who wouldn't die with multiple close shotgun blasts and some loving crab monsters who survived grenades and an exploding car. I seem to remember the limb damage mod not being so poo poo.

Honestly, and forgive me for self advertising. but Create Your Own Difficulty Rebalance is a good way to start dealing with that.

E: also I just realized that the link to Customize Legendary Enemy Spawning in the OP is incorrect. This is the correct link: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/218

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 18, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any mods that add guns balanced to WBO?

I actually tend to find that mod added weapons tend to fit very well with WBO by default, as most mod authors make their weapons, well, better than vanilla at least and overpowered at best. The overpowered ones tend to still be slightly overpowered ones, but most fit in comfortably without much if any editing alongside vanilla weapons.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

pyro_archvile posted:

ctd in the main menu

missing master, run fo4edit and it'll tell you the problem

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Gonkish posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18821/

A loving AN-94. Model seems nice, and it can even be skinned (including skins based off the hot rod magazines) in-game. I wonder if it has the two-round burst as standard... because then slapping a two-shot legendary mod on there would be fun (probably only three shots, given how the legendary effect works, but still).

Not if you include the two shot fix mod. I think WBO includes it by default.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Enigma posted:

I think the problem is that moving the folder mysteriously breaks NMM, because I had the same thing happen to me. As far as Steam was concerned everything was good and well, but NMM was confused and so mods had no effect on the game.

It's generally preferable to keep NMM and Fallout 4 on the same drive.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

pmchem posted:

Does anyone know what happens if you add a VIS compatibility patch mid-playthrough? Specifically for Raider Overhaul, but I guess this would apply to any mod that needs a VIS patch. Raider-O 11.4c doesn't have a VIS patch yet but it may be coming soon, and I am hesitant to use the VIS patch made for 10.2 (anyone try that?).

Are existing items changed/lost? Only new spawns affected?

Extant items won't be affected.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

I'd kill for a Weapon Balance Overhaul update.

Feels like all the DLC weapons are either ridiculously OP or junk at this stage.

my new laptop is literally shipping today! So like, it'll happen soonish!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

I didn't realise it was a goon mod. It's a good mod too. Single shot rifles might need toning down a touch though.

Yeah that's going in my next patch. Single shot rifles were so aggressively terrible in the base game that I cranked them way up to compensate. The hunting rifle is definitely getting a nerf next time around.

The combat rifle too I think. It's an absurdly, ludicrously powerful weapon in the base game. Given that my balancing is relative to base weapon values, it was quite tricky to figure out how to work around it. It'll likely get a small damage and Rate of Fire nerf too I think.

Dlc weapons may take a hit longer, simply because I've not yet had a chance to play with them yet. But my laptop is getting here on the 18th, so expect something before the end of the month.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Smol posted:

If I were to do a small personal mod that nerfed the vision part of the stealth perks a bit (I have 3 points in stealth and it's getting pretty ridiculous how blind the enemies are now), what variable would I have to edit?

If you open up the relevant perks in the CK you'll be able to see the relevant bits you'd need to alter.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Smol posted:

So there's two variables there, "Mod Detection Sneak Skill" and "Mod Detection Movement". I'm guessing the first one is the one I'm interested in tweaking?

Try it and find out!

Also gridlocked - I've a mod linked in the OP that let's you customize player and enemy damage. Might be worth checking out.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I did that and it is the case. The M2216 doesn't even have a leveled list, its apparently a console spawn only. How would I add the M-14 and the R-91 so they both show up instead of one or the other?

Create a merged company patch. Drag and drop to include additional weapons. It's very simple.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Pretty sure I've a mod in the OP that makes opening locks always work.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

lilspooky posted:

Oh yeah? Hmm so maybe just hold off for now.... :(

If you do decide to play now, I recommend my Weapon Balance Overhaul combined with my create your own difficulty mod! Rebalances weapons fairly well and you can choose how much damage you deal and how much you take. Lightweight and surprisingly powerful.

Not yet updated for DLC weapons, though it'll play fine with them. They just won't be balanced relative to a modded game.

I really gotta learn scripting though so I don't need to keep relying on lame as hell FOMODs. I'm sure it can't be hard to get a user to select a number and feed it to a script that runs a console command. Just have an item that when used prompts a list of values, pass that back to a script that edits a GMST. If anyone knows papyrus scripting, hit me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh yeah, I would recommend WBO. But I thought it sounded like Spooky wanted something more intensive.

(PS: what's that tag from? As a Nasty Woman, it is relevant to my interests)

Donate to RAINN, get a tag!

Not fallout modding related, but it's for a good cause.