Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Saint Sputnik posted:

I made this if you like your blues old and dirty
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11087/

I have this mod (along with the expanded soundtrack pack) and it's a good mod. Thanks for making it, you've made exploring Far Harbor so much more moody (in a good way)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Horizon updated to 1.1 today. Looks like a lot of weapon rework stuff, raider stuff (and the end of the Raider Overhaul compatibility patch, for people who used that mod), and some other stuff. I only just recently started a Horizon game, so I don't have enough experience with it to know what all the changes mean, but I've started getting [DAMAGED] weapons from enemies, which are in the weapons category (unlike the broken junk ones), but do very little damage and have very little value. I think the damaged pipe gun only did 5 damage, and the damaged pipe wrench was worth 4 or 5 caps (that could be the normal Horizon price though, I haven't gotten a pipe wrench other than Big Jim, and I'm not selling that one). Looks like the pipe gun that summons a pair of wolves (my first legendary item in this run) will be my gun for a few more levels. I found a shorty hunting rifle (I keep calling it the Obrez), but only have 12 .308 bullets, and none of the traders I've found have any more. I want to get some better gear before going to take on Corvega (just hit level 5, so I got a few perks filled out at least), because the Pipe Gun That Summons Wolves and Big Jim probably won't quite cut it.

Also, when I found that pipe gun, I immediately thought of the Dragon Boy Suede song "You Won't Sass Me Like That When I Can Summon Wolves", which is a stupid song but it's kind of appropriate. Those wolves tore up a legendary super mutant and distracted the red-skull Mr. Gutsy that it had been fighting enough for me to shoot it down. I may have wandered too far south a bit too early, so after that fight, I went back up north to try clearing out some more stuff that isn't Corvega.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 21, 2017

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Terrorforge posted:

Thank you for introducing me to this beautiful work of musical art.

On the topics of guns, I haven't played Horizon in a while but it has an ammo crafting system now. The returns won't be great, but you could buy/loot other ammo, scrap it and make .308

Dragon Boy Suede is silly and dumb and I like him.

As far as ammo crafting, I picked up the one rank of Gun Nut that I have access to, and that gave me a couple ammo recipes, but I think it's only .38 and 10mm, maybe one or two others. I don't even think I can get .308 made through Contracted Work, but I will definitely check on that next time I play.

That might be what I need to go after Corvega, or at least clear out a bit more of Lexington first. There's a power armor raider there, isn't there? That's gonna be a drain on my bandages and ammo, I'm sure. I really like how Horizon changes up combat, and everything else. I'm almost always irradiated to some extent because of the drain Rad-Off and Rad-Away put on you. Once I found a single bottle of purified water, which made that trip a success. Now I can make my own (one bottle a day), but it was a huge step to get there and a huge change from vanilla, where you can basically be a Water Baron from the time you step out of the Vault. Horizon makes the game feel a lot more S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-y, which is good (to me).

NAC is really good with Horizon. I ran to Concord from Sanctuary and hid in the museum because of a radstorm (and because I forgot about the shelter in Sanctuary), because I didn't have any anti-rad drugs at the time, and hadn't made the trip out to Covenant yet.

I'm also about to install the Horizon Weapon Merge Pack, which has a bunch of weapons that were in previous Fallout games, all nice and Horizon-ized.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

horse mans posted:

Re Horizon, something about how AWKCR and Armorsmith extended works allows you to place armor pieces (legs/arms/chest) on top of what would normally be armor uniforms which occupy all slots (like the BOS Field Scribe armor). Does that break balance unnecessarily? Should I just avoid taking advantage of that?

Yeah, I've just been relying on my willpower to not stack uniforms and armor bits if the uniform gives "too much" of a bonus (like the Field Scribe armor, or actual armor suits like the spiked armor). I've been using road leathers or the green gunner short-sleeved shirt and pants. Just recently got a dirty army helmet, which is a nice upgrade from the hard hat I was wearing.

Also, thanks everyone for the tips on Horizon and .308 ammo. I checked last night, and I can't have it contracted or make it myself yet (but I forgot to note how many guns-n-ammo mags I'll need), so I'll stick with the .38 and 10mm for now (I can make .38 and have 10mm contracted if I need to). Next goal: get the circuitry to make the new Horizon weapon bench, and then more filters to make a water purifier at the drive-in (or put a second one in Sanctuary).

edit: oh, I should have re-read the page, thanks again: it's 6 magazines, plus I'm pretty sure at least rank 2 gun nut.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 21, 2017

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Nevets posted:

trying to get Dogmeat to not run away from you every time you want to trade.

This is the worst thing. However, it's balanced out by him pulling out a teddy bear and playing with it in the background of many conversations with people.

Also, I'm actually impressed that it took until I rescued Nick Valentine and checked out the house in town that Dogmeat became "Dogmeat" and not just "Dog", because I somehow skipped over the bit with Mama Murphy where she says the dog's name, so my character didn't actually know it. It's a level of consistency that I wasn't expecting from this game.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Am I missing something on the nexus page for Horizon? It says to check the patch notes before upgrading, but the patch notes in the patch notes section of the forum tab just has 1.3.0. Do I need to do anything special like uninstalling/reinstalling water pumps again when updating to 1.4?

Also, is there supposed to be a 'no weave' option for clothes that can take ballistic weave? I thought I'd be able to buy some armored pajamas from Tinker Tom, then just transfer the weave over to something more (or less) fashionable, but I can only install a new weave, there's no option to remove an existing one. Sorry, Curie, you'll have to wait for your kevlar dress. :(

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Terrorforge posted:

The patch notes are under spoiler tags in the fourth and last pinned post under the "posts" tab. I requested that the latest ones be moved to thread as well for ease of access and he said he would, but I guess he forgot. At any rate I don't think there's anything you have to do to get new things to work, but vendors and vanilla crops are considered deprecated and can be scrapped for full returns if you want to upgrade to the new systems.

And yes there's supposed to be a "No Weave" slot as of 1.4. It was always supposed to be there but due to an oversight you needed Armorsmith Extended in the previous versions.

Thanks for the help! That's not at all confusing or difficult to find, especially when the thing in the "posts" tab says that patch notes are now in the "forums" tab.

Wait, this means I have to hit up all my loving settlements and replant all the crops? Ugh. At least I can fast-travel with the caravan things. This new Architect stuff looks neat though. Starlight might need to be rebuilt a bit.

Also, I've been using Armorsmith Extended (since before I was using Horizon, even), and I've never had a "No Weave" option. :ohdear:

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Terrorforge posted:

Have you been using the included Horizon patch for AE? And making sure your load order is set up right?

I thought I was, but I might have done something wrong or missed an optional file when I installed 1.3. Once I updated to 1.4, I had a "no weave" option though. Curie is now wearing Agatha's Armored Dress. Crisis averted.

Having to replant crops wasn't too bad, at least not at the couple of bigger farms I went to. If nothing else, it gave me a reason to reorganize who grows what, and make nice neat rows of crops. My bigger annoyance turned out to be finding most of my guard towers gone and guards hovering in mid-air. The new towers have modular upgrades, which is neat.

Haven't played around too much with it yet, but Architect seems pretty cool.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
I think, unlike a lot of other Contracted work, Ballistic/Insulated Weaves don't cost caps, because it's your craftsmen (settlers) doing the work.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

8 Ball posted:

Got a link?

For the first two, you can just turn stuff off with DEF_UI. You'll get rid of all xp popups, not just the ones from killing enemies, but that would have been my suggestion, if he hadn't found the solution right away.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Doorknob Slobber posted:

does horizon play nice with things like raider overhaul, AWKC and armor and weapon mods in general or is it the kind of thing you install by itself?

I guess it used to play nice with Raider Overhaul, but not anymore, not since the Horizon author made more extensive changes to raiders himself. Armorsmith Extended is good, as well as DEF_UI and the Val-something Sorting Keywords mod or whatever it's called (there are a few options for compatible mods when installing Horizon, but I forget what all is included in those). There's an Official Horizon Weapon Pack (guns that have appeared in previous Fallout games). Some armor mods (like Mercenary Pack, which I'm using currently) have Horizon compatibility patches so they're not totally overpowered in comparison to Horizon gear, but "not totally overpowered" is still going to be up to the mod-maker, not the Horizon guy (the Merc Pack stuff is probably a little better than it "should" be for Horizon, but I think most of it looks pretty cool and I'm a fan of playing tactical barbie dress-ups in video games).

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 5, 2018

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

khy posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14650/

Yes, this mod will give you more options than just the one option you asked for. I still suggest it over other options because it works perfectly, and you may in the future decide to customize other aspects of survival mode to your liking and having the option but not using it is better than the alternative.

Yeah, use this one. Survival Options is good, even if you just use it for enabling the console and saving on transitions.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

buglord posted:

E: a gif which accurately represents the Horizon experience, specifically when you reach the end of a “dungeon” and discover how poor the loot is:

This is very misleading. Horizon wouldn't give you both a fork and a knife.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Azhais posted:

Pictured: about to loot 7 fusion cells in horizon

maybe only 7 Fusion Cells, but don't forget the 26 Damaged Cells you get along with that. and the Destroyed Institute Laser Rifles.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 29, 2018

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
You might be able to cheese the junk-moving thing by using the Personal Storage option at the resource manager workstation. Make sure you have a station at each settlement, shove everything in the personal storage at one place, and pull it out at the destination. Not sure if that'll work, though. If it does, you'll probably have to take it out of the personal storage and put it in a workbench before you can use any of it. (edit: I'm assuming you already have the first settlement perk, because that's how you make settlement things. Without it, you'll have to manually haul things around.)

In the weapons lab, there's a Disassembly tab, which lets you break down ammo for parts. It mostly uses batches of 10 bullets (I think 5mm is 20), but it's a way to get powder to make more 10mm.

Also, something that might be more what you're looking for: at the tech lab, I think, you can make packaged versions of stuff like recruitment beacons and generators (it just shoves all the crafting mats you need to make the item into a box or something), and carry those with you when you're establishing settlements.

This is more of a general early-game Horizon tip: the junkyard north of Olivia and the junkyard on the way to Covenant (from the drive-in, just past the military checkpoint) are both good places to find molerats. The one on the way to Covenant also has Ratslayer, the unique Varmint Rifle from New Vegas. It can be chambered in .38 and has been with me pretty much since I first picked it up (I did take off the scope though). Pretty sure they don't respawn or anything, but the one north of Olivia is easy to forget about.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 5, 2018

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Dalael posted:

What is VANS?

In vanilla FO4, it gives you the "draw a line to your quest target" spell from Skyrim. Since that's basically one of the most useless perks ever, in Horizon, it gives you 5 perk points, plus refunds the one you spent on the perk, but you can only take a new rank every 5 levels.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Riatsala posted:

I am, though. Maybe I should focus on fewer weapons? I'm already breaking down all the 9mm, .308 and 7.62 I find. Maybe I should ditch my .38 rifle and 10mm handgun and start breaking down those as well. Hmm.

You're level 18 and still using a .38 rifle? Even if it's upgraded, that might be your problem. Try upgrading to something with 5.56 or .308 as your main gun (combat rifle, handmade rifle in semi-auto, I think you might be able to rechamber a hunting rifle to use it also). When you can one-shot a raider with a headshot, you save a lot of smokeless powder. :)

edit: I like having Big Jim (pipe wrench with a chance to cripple legs) for hunting, small ghoul encounters, and "suddenly, molerats" situations. It's pretty easy to get early on (it's at Walden Pond), and it's got a good damage-to-WT ratio, especially in Horizon where every WT unit counts.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 23, 2018

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
I've been using Delta Wasteland Radio lately. It's a bunch of blues and jazz songs, and feels particularly fitting for exploring Far Harbor. The DJ is a robot/AI who occasionally says things (sometimes even slightly humorous things), and you can skip tracks by turning the radio off and on again, which is a pretty handy feature. It even includes Leadbelly's "When I Was A Cowboy" for a hint of New Vegas! :v: There's enough variety that you won't hear a bunch of songs that have the same/very similar melodies but with different lyrics. There are a few of those because it's a blues station, of course, but it's not like listening to a Robert Johnson album where the music is almost identical for every song. There's an extra track pack available, to give it even more variety. Also, many of the songs are about loving.

I definitely recommend if you're a fan of old blues and jazz.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Other than the Horizon stuff (obviously) and the unofficial patch mod, my Horizon mod setup is a bunch of little stuff like the lever-action reload fix (only animates reloading the number of bullets that you reload, instead of always putting in 5), Everyone's Best Friend, Extended Dialogue Interface, removing the build cap for settlements, and other single-use fixes.

Also Survival Options because saving your game shouldn't give you a chance for a debilitating health-draining disease that's expensive to cure (when you get it early on). I also don't trust a Bethesda game + pile of mods to be stable enough that I don't need to save all the time. Thirdly, removing the console in a single-player game was an asinine decision. I mostly use it to get unstuck, but also Danse's quest is buggy as poo poo if you don't make it your top priority as soon as it starts (and even then, sometimes he just refuses to acknowledge you outside, after everything is dealt with). Being able to tell the game "this is what you're supposed to be doing right now" is a good thing. As far as people consoling in thousands of weight units worth of capacity, so what? It's a single-player game, and those people probably don't want to play a half-assed Survival mode that doesn't even take the good stuff from New Vegas'.

Horizon makes it feel more like a survival game or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (specifically, that first mission where you assault a car park with just a lovely pistol and a bottle of vodka), rather than Water Baron Simulator, which is what 4's Survival mode quickly became (I only got the game after Survival was added and never played any of the lower difficulties but I'm guessing it's much easier to become a rich unstoppable wasteland king/queen). Clean water is a rare and valuable resource, so sometimes you just have to take the rads in order to stay hydrated. Eventually, things start to level off once you get a few perks under your belt and have an ammo bench, but that initial climb is a pretty fun scavver sim, if you like that sort of thing (which I obviously do). :)

edit: I forgot the most important mods: Bullet Time, Load Accelerator, and Delta Wasteland Radio. "Hellhound on my Trail" is perfect for creeping through Far Harbor.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 13, 2021

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Talen_Soti posted:

As someone new to modding FO4 on PC, what are some recommended QoL and playability mods?

If you don't want to use the modpack Boba Pearl linked, here's my list of stuff to go along with Horizon (a pretty major survival overhaul, but it doesn't touch everything). Stuff in bold is definitely recommended, everything else is more on the QoL/"add to taste" side of things. None of them make major gameplay changes (other than Bullet Time maybe), they're just mods to make playing the game less annoying (imo).

-F4SE (https://f4se.silverlock.org)- Fallout 4 Script Extender, a framework that's required for a lot of other mods. It needs to be updated whenever FO4 gets an update, but thankfully that's pretty rare nowadays.
-Mod Configuration Menu (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21497) - lets you adjust settings for compatible mods (like Unlimited Survival Mode, Bullet Time, and Quick Trade from my list here)
-Everyone's Best Friend (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13459/) - the only must-have mod, imo, because it lets you bring your dog and a non-dog companion at the same time
-Unofficial FO4 Patch (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4598) - since Arthmoor stopped cutting out voiced lines and other "I know better than the developers" bullshit, it's a decent bugfix mod (the lines weren't subtitled, you see, so they obviously weren't supposed to be there)
-Unlimited Survival Mode (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26163/) (if you play Survival difficulty) - lets you adjust survival mode parameters to your liking (I just re-enabled the console and the ability to save, because gently caress whoever at Bethesda decided their game was stable enough to not need the console or the ability to save; I think it also enables a sleep-or-save option at beds, so you don't need to risk disease just to save if you want to stay "true" to Survival mode as implemented)
-DefUI (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10654) and Full Dialogue Interface (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235) - these make the UI more betterer
-Clarity (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/31991) - minor visual tweaks (softening fog borders, no blur while aiming, and a few other little things)
-Faster Workshop (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/35382) - less delay to access the workshop menu
-Settlement Limits Slashed (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14823) - if you're on PC, you probably don't need an artificial limit on how much stuff you can place at a settlement, or if you do, the limit should be much much higher than it is.
-QuickTrade Redux (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/41101) - lets you use a hotkey to immediately go to the trade menu for vendors (or the inventory menu for settlers and companions)
-Pip-boy Flashlight (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10840) - self-explanatory
-Bullet Counted Reload (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/41178) - reloads one bullet at a time instead of doing the full-reload animation for some weapons (only really noticeable if you use certain guns, but it annoyed me enough to get a mod to fix it)
-Delta Wasteland Radio and the Extra Tracks additional file (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11087) - adds a delta blues radio station, I think it's particularly fitting for crawling through Far Harbor. Your musical tastes might differ, so if you don't like the blues, find something you do enjoy! The actual in-game radio station uses a bunch of songs that were in the CONELRAD mod for 3 and NV, if you ever used that.
-Vault 81 Mole Rat Disease Fix (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8908) - only checks for the molerat disease if you get hit by a molerat during the quest. Not if they hit your companion, not if they hit the robot you can activate during the quest, only you.
-Bullet Time (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9325) - drains AP to give you slow motion. it's pretty great to pop off 3 headshots on 3 different enemies, ending combat before it even really starts.
-Darker Nights (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/191) - another self-explanatory one

If you play Survival mode and realize quickly how half-assed it is, and how easy it is to still break the game entirely (Ask Me About Being The Sanctuary Hills Water Baron), maybe check out Horizon (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17374). It's pretty comprehensive, and has its own settlement building/job/production system (Architect, a sort of sub-mod that's part of Horizon) that probably won't play well with Sim Settlements (SS2: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/47976). I haven't used Sim Settlements myself, but it gets a lot of positive talk in this thread and other places, so if you really want to dive into town-building, you'll probably want to look at it.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Talen_Soti posted:

I will take a look at these, do you have to use nexusmods' vortex interface? I tried that and it kept messing things up when i was trying to set up

Like the other poster said, use Mod Organizer 2, not Vortex.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
I just upgraded my computer and got an itch to play Fallout 4 again, for some ungodly reason. I like Horizon. It makes so many changes to so many things that the other mods I have are just extra little fixes and tweaks, like texture/weather stuff, and mods like the unofficial patch mod, faster loading screens/workshop/terminal text, Bullet Counted Reload, Extended Dialogue Interface, and Delta Wasteland Radio (the blues station, might be goon-made, very good no matter who made it). I probably don't even need to mention the obligatory Everyone's Best Friend, which was even specifically called out in the Horizon install guide as optional but highly recommended. Dogs are outstanding!

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
This might be a long shot, but I noticed your MO2 screenshot had "Fallout 4" in the upper right, where mine says "F4SE." If you have the FO4 Script Extender installed, change the launch option to that instead of the normal exe. If you don't have it, you might need it for those mods that arent working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Horizon is really good at filling out the Survival mechanics, as well as providing ways to circumvent some of the more annoying choices Bethesda made. You can craft an item to allow you to save at will, and when you die' you'll respawn back at a settlement and need to heal. You start with more HP than vanilla, but don't gain nearly as much over the course of the game (I don't think you get extra HP from leveling at all, just from increasing Endurance and from perks). A menu-based storage option makes sure you have a safe place to store your stuff where it won't get yoinked by a random settler, and you can set up cargo bot trade routes between settlements that don't require 6 Charisma and a specific perk and you don't need medical perks to hire a doctor. Purified water is a lot more rare and valuable, and production takes some work to build up to (buying or making special water filters). Horizon plays with the XP system and every level with the mod is roughly equivalent to 2 levels without it (sort of). The VANS perk now gives you 6 perk points (it only gives 5, but it also refunds the point you spent on it), but can only be taken every 5 levels. I think there's a craftable item if you want the "highlight route to objective" ability that the vanilla perk gives you (or whatever it does; I've never taken the non-Horizon version of it). The Corvega Assembly Plant, a relatively easy quest in vanilla FO4, is still a challenge if you go in at level 10 and loaded for bear because of just how many enemies there are at a time. Hit and run tactics are very helpful (at least for outside). My first few levels in Horizon usually come from doing the Abernathy quest to retrieve the locket (there's a minigun-wielding raider boss, so be careful), the Covenant quest with Honest Dan, Trudy's Diner (raiders like to respawn there every few days, it seems), and clearing out most of the animal nests between Sanctuary and the Drive-In (where I usually build up my main settlement). There's a lot of decent stuff scattered around Sanctuary Hills (the houses as well as the surrounding areas). There's a military transport with an army helmet to the northwest, and I usually keep that around for most of the game. The raider in the woods with the dog (north of Sanctuary, across the stream, iirc) has 5 noodle cups in his little shack, and those fill both the hydration and hunger meters. Pick up the Hunter perk early so you can get better meat from animals; Horizon has a ton of different foods you can make.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 3, 2024