Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Came here to post this. It's marvelous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Horizon has been a fantastic change of pace. Along with mortal settlers of course. Saving some dudes from a raider ambush and having them come join my settlement felt more meaningful since I really appreciate having a home base and there was a good risk vs reward thought process involved. I actually held off rushing in until I could size up what was going on and make an actual decision to engage.

There are handy "articles" with info on how all the new mechanics work but mostly I'm just making it up as I go and only check when it's time to grab a new perk.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Gilg posted:

Trying out Horizon, any tips if I want to play settlement-less? It looks like they're the best way to get purified water and fast travel is tied to them as well, but I'd really rather not deal with settlements.

A big part of horizon is making settlements meaningful and interesting, also it's compatible with sim settlements. Figure out where good access to work benches etc are otherwise as in a normal run.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The cool features of the settler mod that was removed do irreparable harm, but you can go through some steps to remove it from your game assuming you never executed those features.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

Just use the Salvage Beacons mod and not worry about carry weight again.

That's part of horizon also, you can summon cargo robots iirc. Or a dog to help in combat. There's a lot of features I haven't tried yet.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

There's a (storywise) passive stealth cargo robot you can grab in close proximity for an active carry weight boost, but there are actual npc robots you can manifest then hand off all your loot to, from what I remember reading.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Are you guys keeping updated? Horizon updates fairly often. Maybe I'm the one behind, but I have made and found antiseptic pretty reliably. Moving up from bandages to medicated bandages was a huge leap and very accomplishing.

Buying and using chems for pharmaceuticals is more limiting than antiseptic in my experience for those advanced bandages.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The most important thing is that running the mod likely broke his existing saves in nefarious ways that probably won't manifest immediately. That's bad news.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That burn script is supposedly one of the most problematic ones, too.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The horizon author really loves sim settlements too apparently and wants to embrace it more

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

DXH posted:

At some point in Horizon you can set up a caravan fast travel system between your settlements for a sort of survival fast-travel-lite but who's got time for that when i only get to play a couple hours a week? Admittedly hiking from one end of the commonwealth to the other isn't so bad in Horizon after unlocking some slots for the alpha wrist device (except for finding a decent bed to sleep/save but i'm sure there's a mod for that too).

You can deploy a cargo bot to haul all your poo poo home remotely (home meaning anywhere since you build shared storage including for weapons) and can craft a save item. The focus is more on having a few really nice settlements it feels; I only hike back to the early settlements to strip settlers to send to my handful of real places.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

I wish there was some omnibus balance standard for mod weapons. Ultimately the problem is the lack of thought that went into vanilla game balance, but I do miss FONV's diversity of guns providing small but meaningful distinctions, whereas dropping .45 auto alongside 10mm, or the laser RCW alongside the laser rifle, doesn't provide much difference. In fact I was planning on running with the RCW but it has nothing on the laser rifle except heavier weight and worse damage progression.

I know I mention horizon like every time I post, but the horizon guy is now teaming up with others to introduce mod weapons into horizon with unified balancing. The first set is available and introduces some new vegas weapons plus classics and a few others. Like a fun makeshift anti materiel rifle or the grenade launcher.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Sintax posted:

Anyone who tried Horizon, does it hold up for a whole playthrough? Might give it a go, but I'm not looking for painful gameplay that ends up being more annoying than fun. Any conflicts with other mods?

It's fun, I also just hit my third set of vans perks (every five levels you get several bonus perks). Settlements become important investments, but you can upgrade your carrying capacity via specific equipment so it's less tedious than stock plus it's compatible with sim settlements.

Early levels are rough but not insurmountable. Sometimes running away is the answer, or avoiding combat if you're low on supply.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Erd posted:

If you rescue Nick before you get to diamond city, it starts open. Won't fix your Piper problem but will get you inside.

Does anyone use molotovs in horizon? They feel completely useless with no initial damage and slow damage over time. And burning enemies act like any other meaning you can't just wait for them to burn to death without them flanking you, so you end up shooting them anyway.

My go to gun is a 38 smg with a bleed effect, so that plus fire grenades meant a lot of time moving around during fights while waiting for damage over time attacks to do their work. A brand new recon scope helps me keep tabs on everything during an encounter, plus setting caltrops everywhere in advance or while relocating. Those take aluminum but it doesn't seem as scarce as it was in vanilla.

Even though I'd rather make the baseball grenades if I've got the parts, they're very useful during ghoul ambushes and the on-contact is helpful in several circumstances.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I'm just not writing clearly while phoneposting, the molotovs are. Baseballs aren't. Although that would be an awesome change.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That'll do.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I was creating 308 from 10mm quite early, but often saved it for 762 instead since I lucked upon a silenced homemade rifle (ak pattern sniping piece with a drum mag). Honestly I keep using 38 since it's relatively plentiful and cheap to get plus automatics don't feel as anemic as vanilla, a tricked out 38 smg is my primary tool.

With the carry weight enhancements and ammo scarcity I do rotate through a variety of gear though. Horizon is great.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Security batons give circuitry when you scrap them as a scrapper, I realized. Not sure if it's a bug. Grab all the telephones you can from police stations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

He's said a bunch of times he's trying to find a good way to better express perk crafting requirements in-game, hopefully he figures something out. I really like that he's also been quick about integrating sim settlements support and matching releases with bigger milestones for that, such as supporting the industry overhaul expansion thing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

graynull posted:

This is rather :spergin: but I'm slightly annoyed at the eyebot/robot table requirement for making a resource management table. Really because I like to try to RP when I can, and I don't know poo poo about robots and Sturges sure as hell doesn't know anything. He couldn't even type 'password' into the Concord Museum terminal to find a power core to save everyone's stupid asses. Also kinda wish magazines weren't so key to making ammo. Feel like I have to go outside the game and look up magazine locations to specifically hunt for in case I never happened upon them on my own. Then again, maybe once you can craft ammo the game becomes easier (I'm looking at you, hunting rifle .308's).

Sturges fixed up a few suits of power armor before you ran into him, and he also does more interesting things with technology during the course of the game.

If you check your mailbox you get a list of hints about where to find ammo crafting magazines once you make an ammo crafting table, of various safety/difficulty. Plus you can do "contracted work" for slightly higher pricing for basically anything if that fits your character better.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Use Better Settlers; it's safe and has a horizon compatibility patch somebody made although that might fall out of date

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Hello everybody who uses sim settlements: get yourself a copy of the newish mod that expands the construction areas, it's good and the NPCs understand how to navigate and use the extra space.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That's the one!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

I just found something called Minute Man worth 3K caps up in the sleepwalker's place high on the road near University Point, but I can't figure out just what it is and whether it's mod-added or vanilla. It has such a generic icon, I can't tell if it's supposed to be a weapon mod, clothing mod or something else entirely. Anyone know what I'm talking about, or how I can figure out what it is?

You can check its reference id using the console, the first two digits on the left identify the source; 00 is base game and upwards from there is a dlc or mod. It's your load order.

Phone posting but you can use the help command, partial name, category 4 I think for items.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

You need lots of random things to do all the fun crafting and sim settlement stuff. It would be a pain otherwise. If you're into living off the land and random camps then you don't need to bother building up the infrastructure to get the weight increases which generally serve to let you build further infrastructure.

The biggest limitation on horizon is already resource scarcity, you can't drag near infinite ammo and healing when you're unable to produce lots in the first place. Although I definitely prefer the robots you summon up to toss loot into rather than the static carry weight increases.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Horizon works with Sim Settlements to good effect

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I was planning to just figure out how many things I had then console it back to myself, more or less. Reading the notes it sounds like enough changed this time to make a restart worthwhile even though I'm hours in.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Don't be dumb like me and forget to use the items you craft

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Don't expect to run around at full health anymore. It's a resource like anything else. You've got some tools for dealing with things that chip away at it, like rad resist gear.

Take a moment to see what recipes you want to aim for at the chem and food stations, your first VANS perk gives you a pile of points you can use to really slingshot your character build for whatever angle you want.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

No kidding, I easily justified using a grenade to take out a pack of radstags because they were going to spook if I just opened up on them.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Also, it is okay to go on an expedition without 100% hp and 100% food and water. This sounds weird if you're used to most games and FO4 itself. You're allowed/supposed-to-be not operating perfectly and can't do every single task perfectly the moment you leave the vault.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

buglord posted:

-Tag the required items needed for bandages since you'll be using those a bunch.
-Ditto for radaway. best treatment for radiation is not getting radiation in the first place, because curing it is ridiculously expensive.
-keep another game installed for the times you get stuck in a respawning loop because raiders are camped at your settlement
-Make sure you have a variety of weapons using different ammo, because you'll always be running out of it. melee weapons are actually a good moneysaving bet, because you can solo any super-mutant as long as you time your blocks right.
-keep a pillow near your desk to scream in when 80% of your health is capped because of rads

i need tips too because this mod is going to murder me through stress induced stroke

Protectrons should be stripped of leg armor and they'll tip right over. Then you can get out your bat or whatever.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

eonwe posted:

I am gonna try to mod FO4 tonight and I am not looking forward to the inevitable crashes on launch that I won't be able to figure out from the hundreds of mods Ive picked

That's part of the game though

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Feels more Fallouty in my mind. I remember those being hard in the beginning where your confused about what's going on and what to do (and not doing a Navarro beeline).

Plus melee means more and modifications feel more important and satisfying to get.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

buglord posted:

Horizons+Sim Settlements question: How do I get surplus purified water? Most of my settlements have 20-30 water points yet my water pumps and trader water towers dont put spare purified water in the workshop or resource management container? Is there something else im missing?

The big pumps definitely produce it but you need to use maintenance kits at a resource station to keep them operating at making bottles for your personal use. A big yellow industrial one uses five kits per cycle.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I think there's a horizon patch for some of the expansion mods e.g. the mods themselves don't advertise compatibility

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there mods to give settlers more jobs? It gets kinda boring when their four professions are provisioner, security, shopkeeper and farmer.

Lots of other things beyond that, but horizon does this also.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Because settlers are really useful in horizon, supply chains can also be established using a built utility station (one per station). You can also pre-craft recyclable kits of steel, wood, generators, fast travel points, and things like light turrets to bring with you when you head out to ensure you've got enough parts to establish a camp once you arrive at a new settlement location.

So it's tougher but has some good quality of life things, like being able to ammo swap weapons or rebuild ammo from calibers you find useless, or crafting new weapons that inherit legendary skills. You can also find all the perk magazines rarely in the wild, or skill books which can also be purchased via a new remote trader system. Since there's also a Skyrim-esque skill system under the hood.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

If you have load time issues, and an SSD, get the vsync load fixer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Part of the trick with horizon is to make use of all your ammo, get a conversion kit for your guns ASAP, and use the weapon toolkit to change ammo on the fly. Pipe guns can take a variety of low tier ammo.

I got a p90 in my game and quickly reconfigured it to spew all my 5mm going spare. The systems aren't necessarily well documented and it plays like a whole new game but the conveniences are amazing.