Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

This stream is the worst thing, no one is wall running, its disgusting.

Came here to say the same thing! No wallrunning, people engaging in the middle of open fields, Titans strolling around leisurely with unused boost, it was frustrating to watch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

Clearly a bunch of non-titanfall players. I don't really know if we were supposed to know who those players were but none of them seemed that good. What a waste.

With a name like "TitanfallLegends," you'd think at least that dude would have gotten on a wall, buuut...

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

Oh man these people sure are narrating the thing that's happening on the screen, oh wow someone killed someone, I didn't know that

I did like how they kept saying "oh, that's...not how you use the grapple at all."

Also when they called that guy out for his chump grenade throws.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
We got a bone krew network up yet? I NEED TO NETWORK!

Played one game of Bounty Hunt so far. I dug it, but I'll still miss attrition. It was on the map with the big open field area, and admittedly there are parts that are pretty wallrun-unconducive.

Also it's gonna be hard breaking the habit of pushing d-pad left for my anti-Titan weapon. I kept wasting my amped weapon charge :c

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Volcanic Vents posted:

We got a bone krew network up yet? I NEED TO NETWORK!

I just went ahead and made it: Orbital Drop Shock Goons, clan tag GOON

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Wazzit posted:

I made a BOYS clan held over from COD goons, under Boy Team Super Xtreme. What's your GT?

VolcanicVents. Yeah, I'm really creative with my online personae!

E: I don't understand how I can be so much worse at this one than the original.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Niggurath posted:

Say, here's an article about the game that should cheer everyone up: http://www.shacknews.com/article/96446/titanfall-2-game-director-on-a-slower-paced-multiplayer. Or not....

"Defined paths become the norm: the left, the middle, the right. There's a greater simplification of the player's understanding of the environment, so that the environment becomes more predictable and becomes less about just drawing lines across the map from any point to any point where it just becomes a mess. We're trying to make sure the level is designed in a way that gets these trendy routes and feels more fundamental."

Goddamnit, the fact that you could make your way across a map in any totally random, haphazard way you wanted was one of my favorite parts of the original. :smith:

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
So while the tech test still ain't touchin my tooter (smoocher) the way the original did, it IS growing on me. And Christ, people are bad at Bounty Hunt. I guess they're busy mixing it up with human opponents on the other side of the map after the first 2 waves, cause I always find myself alone in my Titan sliding around and punching the holy hell out of bots. At the end of most games I only have 3-5 enemy kills, but like 2.5k in the bank.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
My heart thrills every time I see a regular from the Destiny thread (which I'm now behind on by almost 2000 posts) show up here to sing the praises of TF2, and Tei should've been the crown jewel of this process but he doesn't even like the game at all?! I finally know how his roommate's dead hamster felt in its final moments.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
They didn't even use the best Jay-Z mashup for their lousy commercial, dang

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=Wtu3fUs9i7M&video_start=0&audio=5_BTWPeZpvw&audio_start=20

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

runchild posted:

I'm pretty darn sure once a Titan starts the eject sequence, it's invincible until it explodes, nuke or not.

This is correct

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
Last titan standing on The Black Water Whatchamacallit stage is the one scenario whereNorthstar actually excels. Hit up one of the outside lanes and pick off titans going for the flank at range, and if there aren't any you can loop around and usually wreck a crowd bunched up at one end of the bridge with a cluster missle and pop off a couple crits when they wheel around to see what's happening before you dash away to safety.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
I'm now also having that thing where trying to look at my Titan weapon camos kicks me off the server, only mine comes with a side of "before you get kicked off every move you make on the camo menu is a 2-cell jump." It's really annoying, especially since I now have "new titan stuff!" notifications I can't get rid of (on Xbone btw)

Volcanic Vents fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 25, 2016

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
I got holopilot from my dice roll on a ctf game yesterday and when I used it holding a flag my holos all had flags.

Also they do tend to move in more or less the manner you're moving when they're deployed; if you're running on flat ground they'll do likewise, if youre wall running they will too, etc.

Volcanic Vents fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 25, 2016

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

They also disappear the second they stop doing what you were doing, so if you drop one while wallrunning, it will just disappear the moment it reaches the end of the wall (or the ground while jumping, or any obstacle while moving). :thumbsup:

I'm just saying holopilots do some of the things people were saying they should do, not that they're any great shakes at doing 'em

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
I guess I never tried the phase shift ability cause phase rewind is such hot garbage but DAAAAAAYUM is it like a cheat code for this game. Threw it on a slot I designated "stuff I haven't bothered to play around with much/at all" with my totally unlevelled L-STAR, rank 2 Archer, and satchel charges, and although I took satchels off 4 or 5 games later (if there was an option to default back to your gun after you throw one I might could hang with em but having to switch from holding the trigger is just too drat annoying, especially since even if I wanna detonate it immediately I still end up doing it with reloadx2), everything else performed beautifully.

I really wish other people used the L-STAR because I'm really intrigued by the "pick up another L-STAR and never have to worry about reloading" tooltip

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

pakman posted:

Angel City looks fun.

What should i buy with the credits I've saved since everything is eventually unlockable? There's nothing that really has me jonesing for it except the expensive smart pistol boost because I hella enjoyed that escape level you get to use it in.

I'd recommend low profile, Thunderbolt (anti-titan), and maybe MGL (also anti-titan), although you get the MGL pretty quick. Also any late-stage titan you like, since they're pretty cheap. Low profile for sure, though; even if you don't run cloak it makes stealing batteries soooo much easier, and battery steals are awesome for filling up your boost/titan meter

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's time to make the Vortex Shield actually grab enemy pilots.

Isn't that just what it's doing, though? Not that I already knew that before this (game-changing) gif, but I'm certainly gonna try to make it happen in the future.

The best thing would be if you could catch em with the shield and then hit melee for a guaranteed pilot kill.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
So what, none of the drink 'n' game goons play this? Cause I can't believe nobody likes the drunk dude faction.

I like Vinson Dynamics because when she says "we are winning by a large margin" I always think "TELL EM LARGE MARGE SENT YA"

E: somebody probably DID mention the drunk dude faction by name, but if so I didn't recognize it cause to me it's just "drunk dude faction."

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Nalin posted:

The secret to enjoying Crash Site is to realize that it is a map for Titans, so pick Scorch and the Thunderbolt anti-Titan secondary and never not be in your Titan.

I looooove Thunderbolt on Crash Site. When the enemy titans stack up on one end of the long canyon lane, you can just bounce back and forth between the walls sending zap-ball after zap ball in their general direction as you watch the little percentage points under your hud pile up.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
Just want to step in and say if an enemy Tone drops its wall and you just stare at it in impotent frustration that's a pretty dumb move; you should be shooting it because it only absorbs a set amount of damage and the faster you shoot it the faster it's gone and you can go back to blowing up the robot. I win lots of 1v1 Tone duels because the other guy just stands there waiting.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Zzulu posted:

what are crits

what is overcore

What are the subtleties of titan combat that i am clearly missing

Crits are the above-mentioned glowy red spots on titans, or shots delivered unto said spots. As a pilot, hitting a titan anywhere with an anti-titan/grenadier/LMG will damage them, but with anything else you can only deal damage to the crit spots (and as a titan, shooting in a crit spot of course does more).

Your core is the same meter in the bottom left that you use to get your titan; once you're in your titan get it to 100% to use you super-bad-rear end attack; overcore is an option in your titan loadout that lets your titan drop in with 30% of that meter already filled in.

Titan combat subtleties vary from titan to titan and I'm sure other people have way better advice than I could ever provide.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

use the most obnoxious camo you can.

I knew I forgot something! Also make sure your gun camo is equally obnoxious and also clashes horribly with your chassis.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
Re titan crits here's a video giving you a leisurely look at all of em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_xLMBvCufI

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
drat Angel City, I really missed almost everything about you, but your weird just-a-little-too-high window ledges still piss me off.

Scorch totally wrecks Angel City bounty hunt, good god.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
I got the banner "The Drop" and now I remember that sometimes on TF1 you'd drop in in one of those bounty hunt/attrition AI drop pods and now I miss that and would pay money to start matches that way

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

I can't speak to other people's experiences, but mine is that standing still in the open is a death sentence, particularly on PC. Also most people hold hover for far far too long, so they predictably get swatted out of the sky.

I'll amend my statement. Hover is a newbie trap. I've seen it used as a shortcut/crutch for positioning, which leads to bad habits.

Why not both? :D
Also most hyper-tryhards use the CAR and Volt exclusively in my experience. They get super mad when you shotgun them!

I think maybe there's some hover conflation happening here, and of course as always I could be 100% wrong, but as far as I know the person saying "hover sucks" is referring to the pilot hover, and I don't remember hearing anything about that being buffed (or even imagine how it could be, short of it giving you some sort of momentary over shield), whereas you're advocating for Northstar hover, which was definitely buffed.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
TF2 style sheet suggestion: to avoid confusion with pilot hover, refer to Northstar hover as "VTOL"

E: and pilot hover as "Floaty McEasykill" if you're so inclined

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

an ability that slowed your decent but kept your momentum so you could glide around the map goofy-like.

I really like this idea

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you want to pretend that the R201 + Phase Shift has the same raw power and potential as Mastiff + Grapple then more power to you. I'm not buying it.

Is there something really amazing I don't know about Mastiff and Grapple or is this just a misleadingly constructed sentence?

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
I've decided that the only factions worth a drat are Apex and the 6-4, cause none of the other jerks even bother to wear a jump pack. Buncha lazy armchair generals.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I just level them as I unlock them...because ultimately you level faster right?

Same, actually, I just felt like talkin' poo poo on some imaginary people.

I actually really like running with Ares Division just because I find that old fart's voice soothing, despite the fact that he's obviously an elite technocrat who probably hasn't seen a day of combat in his life

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Bogart posted:

e: But I just unlocked Thunderball, or Thunderbolt. gently caress, that thing's terrible. Can't see why I'd want that or the Charge Beam over the MGL.

Don't worry about trying to hit titans with it, in fact try to get it to graze right past em. If you see enemy titans bunched up, send your lazy-sailin' zap-ball into their midst and marvel at the speed with which your Titan meter fills up.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

But really just keep that momentum and jump off everything you can. Having a blast just with the movement in this game jumping from thing to thing whilst shooting like a loon.

I would add that it really pays to get accustomed to jumping without looking in the direction you're moving. If you're having that ""I can't ever find anybody to shoot and then suddenly bang I'm dead" problem, this can be mitigated a lot by looking at right angles to your jump direction. More than any other FPS I've played, TF2 really hammers home the whole "keep your head on a swivel" mantra. Angel City is really good for getting used to this type of movement; I played a lot of TF1 but for some reason playing a whole day of nothing but the Angel City playlist this weekend really helped me make a breakthrough on this front.

quote:

Lastly, I can't see myself using anything else but frag grenades.

Same but electric smoke.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

zolthorg posted:

the melee being a 1 shot and as slow as it is to balance that out feels bad :shrug:

At least it's faster than the glacial twinkletoes skip-kick of TF1

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

FadedReality posted:

Once you claim your 2XP code it uses it on the very next match, right? I wanted to quadruple up for tomorrow night's Happy Hour and I don't want to wait till then to play :negative:

e: buying another dew tomorrow I guess

Nope, you have to activate it during a match, so feel free to play away and sit on the boost until you're ready

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
I was inclined to believe whoever said that there was no Drydock bounty hunt a couple days ago, since before today I'd never encounter uttered the combo, but i just now did so it's definitely in the rotation.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Were you playing mixtape? Because to this day I've only seen it once and it was in mixtape.

Yep!

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
Ok everybody, now kiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

She looks like...someone who is right there in the trenches

Then why come she ain't wearin' no jump pack, HUH?!