Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Black Mage Knight posted:

Games > The Legend of Zelda: Skyrim Sword

We are pretty much being shown why this game has been taking so long. It has potentially too much stuff.

Don't insult Zelda, this looks like it has functional and interesting combat, along with potentially exciting exploration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jsor posted:

In the intro, Link's clothes are described as being a little small, as if he's grown a little. Not surprising given he's been out for 100 years (though you think he'd not grow at all, but whatever). The voice also mentions that Hyrule needs him to be its light again. This could be a reference to The Hero in general, but it makes me seriously wonder if this is a former child Link who has already saved Hyrule grown up. I'd guess WW or ST's because of Koroks, where this is Hyrule with the great sea finally drained.

E: Alternatively, it could be an AoL sequel, given the general "Zelda One-ness" of the design, Link looking sort of like ALTTP Link, and the barrenness of Hyrule. We don't really know what that timeline would look like in 3D, and Koroks could just be for fun.

After 100 years without a hero in Hyrule, I just wonder what Ganon's up to.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I have the feeling some people are going to go into this expecting Witcher 3-level quest density and come away thinking it's garbage.

To be fair, Witcher 3 works really well with the space it gives the players to explore, far better than most RPGs that claim to have open worlds.

But Witcher's 3 combat is also pretty meh at best, while Zelda's combat right now looks pretty damned fun.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The korok "puzzles" are literally the most UbiSoft thing about this game, and unsurprisingly the worst part of the game. I've enjoyed pretty much everything else about the game outside of weapon durability, but I got used to durability as part of the overall flow of the game. I'll never again go out of my way to pick up another isolated rock on top of a hill to find yet another stupid korok. I'm at the point in my game where I feel like I am carrying around enough weapons and shields and bows.

It's not even that they are lazy, because it obviously took a LOT of work to put 900 of the little bastards in the game, and provide all the environmental hints that shout "hey, they're somewhere around here!" They're just a let down to run into, as opposed to uncovering some of the shrines that are particularly well hidden.

I'd have been happy with the koroks simply being completely removed from the game, and in their place adding more shrines/dungeons/locations of interest that don't involve me lifting another metal boulder with my iphone magnet, then dropping it into a convenient hole in the ground/tree stump so I can hear YAHAHA! again.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Spergatory posted:

I feel like Korok Seeds are a good reward because:
A. There are so many of them, you are basically guaranteed to run into enough to get plenty of upgrades over the course of adventuring as long as you have even a mild curiosity.
B. They translate to permanent upgrades in a game where basically everything is transient and temporary, so they are meaningful rewards.
C. The sound effects, voices, and general cuteness of the Koroks themselves makes them viscerally rewarding to find, much moreso than if they were just hidden objects.

I think too many people are looking at the Korok system in isolation, which is a mistake. Koroks are just another Thing to Find in a game that Nintendo has lovingly loaded with Things to Find. They are meant to co-exist alongside shrines, treasure chests, enemy encampments, landmarks, special weapons, NPCs, overworld bosses, and so forth. They are an Adventuring Reward for spotting something out of place, a drip-feed meant to sustain you while you look for other things. In an average adventuring session, you're liable to find several Koroks, a few treasure chests, a couple of enemy encampments, a few NPCs, maybe a shrine or two-- the rewards are very deliberately varied and evenly paced, and some things clearly are meant to feel like bigger rewards than others. This constant drip feed of discovery and reward is what makes the game so addicting.

Like this is clearly not a game you were ever meant to 100%, and if you feel like you have to see that number on the map screen in order to be satisfied with your time with this game... there's a point where you have to admit that's more of a personal failing than anything that Nintendo did wrong.

The problem for me isn't that I have to find eeeeeeeeeeeverything in the game, so much as this is something that is pretty much everywhere and I don't care for it. At all. Before I stopped even trying to solve Korok puzzles, there was a part of me still hoping that when I did finish a dumb rock circle or drop another apple in another prayer bowl, something, anything else other than a Korok would pop up. In a game full of Things to Find, this is something that is boring and nowhere near as rewarding as any one of the shrines, or one of the NPCs I save from monsters, or the encampments, or the towers.

If the Koroks weren't something to find in the game, nothing of value would be lost in any of those other Things to Find because there are so many of them as is! Hell, stick some inventory upgrades in those encampments you clear out, as opposed to a chest opening dramatically to reveal the amazing Amber chunk I already have like a hundred of from having climbed every mountain in sight with hammer in hand. That'd actually improve the value of those encampments/chests you find in the field.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jonas Albrecht posted:

My Impa disappointment is that in the memory where Zelda has some Sheikah cart your dedbod off to the Resurrection Shrine, it's just two random rear end mooks and not Impa and Purah.

It's probably the the carrot and pumpkin patch Sheikah before we meet them as old men, or at least members of those families. That's what I want to believe, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I like this game a lot because it's the new Zelda and I have always enjoyed a new Zelda, even Spirit Tracks.

It has the absolute worst dungeons and bosses of any 3D Zelda I've played. The shrines were a neat idea, but after a while I stopped being excited to find one because I already knew what my reward was going to be. The Divine Beasts were incredibly boring by themselves, and only Elephant and Camel felt interesting in any way to me because the lead up to them was really good. I really dug helping out the Zora and the Gerudo. It felt good, the actual invasion sequences were pretty fun, and really played up to the sheer scale of what we were attempting to do. This in turn further enhances the overall scale of Hyrule. These were good... and then you get inside and it's more "find a map and five terminals, please care about the voice that is talking to you now". The visual design in each beast is bland as hell, and the ability to control parts of the beast, while awesome on paper, just doesn't hold up against the best of the franchise's dungeons.

It says a lot about the enemy designs in this game where your most interesting opponents are regular encounters outside of the dungeons and shrines. Designated boss enemies can't hold a candle to a Lynel, what amounts to an ascended mook. Unfortunately, of the limited enemy types, only the Lynel really stays interesting by the end of the game. Bokoblins, Lizals, and Moblins end up being nuisances that, in some cases, are simply there to soak up weapon durability. Fortunately, there's basically no reason, ever, to fight the spongier variants outside of wanting to.

Weapon durability still sucks, and it made me wonder why Link's blade wasn't "broken" at the end of one of his memories where he apparently Dynasty Warrior'd a mountain's worth of enemies, including numerous white lynels.