Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If he hadn't been frozen Gannondorf would've curbstomped him and ruled forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't think they get the Triforce symbols until towards the finale, no.

Finally got around to getting OOT3D and it seriously rules. I'd previously given up on ALBTW due to a couple reasons (i also found it really hard for some reason, not sure why) but now I'm keen to dip back in once I've cleared OOT. Then I'll probably play Majora's Mask 3d and, lords willing, we'll have some concrete NX news.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The 3ds thread was chatting about OOT adult Link & i got to wondering- if he was frozen for 7 years, how old could he be? I'd always thought Kid Link was about 10 - 12, making grownup Link more like a teen.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

and not every 16 - 17 yo needs to shave.

earring is a real mystery tho

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

is there a trick to the second race with Ingo? I'm on 3DS and the stick keeps sliding out from under my thumb.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Majora's Mask sounds like such a bad idea on paper. It's also kind of one of those ideas I'm kinda surprised Nintendo signed off on. Although I'm sure the budget having "REUSE ASSETS" at the top of it probably made it a bit of an easier sell.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What if they made a goon Link option, but she did less things in life but in return got worse effects from people?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't think it's smart or fair to judge a game on framerate until it's actually being released. Doubly so if it's a multiplatform title.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It will run between 0 and 1000 fps.

Now, on to the important questions - how many types of horses have been seen and can we have favourite horses? Are there tools to name, or even customise the horses?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

coffeecup posted:

Personally I think it's implied any horse is eventually rideable, even if there's an official Epona.

I think it's pretty likely, yeah. I'm assuming that Epona will be the best horse overall, but earned in the midgame portion. As far as customising horses goes, it'd be interesting to see them have different skins available. For example, a King Of Red Lions skin for a horse would be super fun to see.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've got OOT3D but I'm at a dead halt because the control circle thing is so bad that I'm unable to win the horse race. Which brings us back to horses; best horse in zelda? how does the best zelda horse compare to other series?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I know all that, it's just that the circle stick is so slippery, if I hold it in any direction for a while i lose control as it loses contact with my thumb. makes 3D land suck too.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ALBW can be hard, depending on when you get the blue tunic. I got it dead last and the game was way easier afterwards. I actually missed the red tunic, too.

Great game, hope it's not the last top-down Zelda.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

It would be a sweet secret if you booted it up and it gave you a dishonored 2 choice of who to play.

It's just a matter of time until they do this. It's not like there's voice acting to redo or anything. Fans love Zelda, crossdressing Link etc.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like the idea of finishing the game, then immediately restarting it and making a beeline to Ganon. Not having a gate is a bold move for Zelda, I hope it works well.

Part of me imagines that the actual area Ganon is in will be the check - a harsh environment would dissuade less-equipped players but just be seen as a challenge for the more experienced.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's definitely been an evolution in art style, the colours look way more vivid in recent demos. I expect Wii U performance to be a bit behind Switch, but not hugely so. 720p v 900p is about what I'd expect.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think they should just make Link have a female option. Identical playstyles and moves, literally just a different character model and sound effects. Zelda can be male or female too, it doesn't really matter either way though, it's not like they're a romantic pair in every game. It's actually really non-romantic in most of them.

Female Link, Male Zelda, who gives a poo poo? Oh no! Prince Zelda got kidnapped. Up to Link, the girl from the forest, to rescue him!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

You'll get a chest with 100 rupees in it at the end of each one and like it.

Don't Spend It All At Once!

It'd be cool if there was more diversity in powerups and items to collect. Not crafting recipes, but things like extra carrots for Hyah-ing the horse or extra stamina for Link. Watered down RPG stats stuff, basically.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think LBW has what amounts to Shrines in some caves, it's a really cool system. Rewards are usually rupees, which works in that game because it's so money-driven. BotW seems to have less focus on an economy, so I'm expecting rare foods and heart pieces being the main Shrine rewards.

there's been a lot of Monkey Paw discussion about Nintendo lately, and I realised the biggest one yet- windwaker. "It's a huge open ocean! Divided into a grid".

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah Windwaker had a huge backlash, the whole 'Celda' thing was everywhere in those days.

Zelda games go through a weird cycle where the new game is released about the same time the previous becomes deified. Twilight Princess was considered garbage just as Windwaker was declared good. Majora's Mask now is remembered as one of the greatest ever and that happened just as Windwaker was released.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Keiya posted:

Breath of the Wild is going to 'suck horribly' until The Legend of Zelda: Panties as a Hat or whatever releases isn't it?

Probably. Expect a lot of people being REALLY excited about Skyward Sword to show up about March 15.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hard Mode could mean a lot of things. If it removed things like slowdown, reduced item drop rates and looked to From Software games then I'd be down to pick it up.

If it's just double damage or increased enemy health then that's much less exciting.

ALBW has a Hero Mode that's just too challenging to be fun. I really hope they can balance it well.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's just not enough info on this to decide if it's worth it. I'll wait for more info before adding yet another item to my preorder list.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

tbh the sort of person who replays a game on Hard is the sort of person who would want more content in said game

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I hope the new story just cranks up the outlines and the sea level.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

On the disk there's Normal and Extreme modes, Hard is paid. You have to finish Hard to unlock Extreme, however.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yes i am very outraged at new zelda content being available

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So are there multiple master swords, or just one ?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I know it's shameful but I've never really played either the original game or Link to the Past. Is LTTP a fairly simple game to figure out or are there plenty of obtuse puzzles where I'll want to use a guide to plow through it? I ask because I have a N3DS and as much as I wanted to love Earthbound, it was a pain in the rear end needing to consult a guide over and over again when I just want to sit down and play. I loved Link Between Worlds and figure I probably need to knock this off my gaming bucket list.

It's very similar to ALBW. ALBW is basically a LTTP sequel.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

OOT3D definitely feels quaint just because it's world is so small scale. There's only really one of everything. It's super weird that the village is like, 20 metres from the castle town. It's next door to the only other piece of Hylian civilisation.

The time mechanic in OOT and MM was genius, because it let them add variety to such a small world.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FooF posted:

I think I was 15 or so when OOT came out and Hyrule Field felt huge. I know its hard to believe but when you first step out on it, it felt like what we're seeing in BotW when Link first leaves the cave. It's just that games have progressed so much in 20 years. Now we have come to expect huge landscapes but back then, it took a whole 10 minutes to go across the world and that's on a horse! We've come a long way.

Yeah, when you're a kid and experiencing this 'cutting edge' stuff, you are totally blind to these faults. OOT3D is a great revamp, but it's still definitely an old game. I didn't remember how blocky and blurry everything looked until I looked them up. In my mind it still looks crisp and clear, with bright colours. Honestly, OOT3D is close to how I remember it looking as a kid.

Also, a few years back I played an emulated version with a 'toon' style texture swap. It also updated UI graphics and a few other aesthetic things. I'd actually recommend checking it out to anyone with an interest. It wasn't full-on Windwaker cell-shading, but rather leant into the simplicity of the models. Paired with an HD output, it's quite neat :

This was years ago, however, so things may be a bit different due to mod creator drama or the sands of time wearing it down.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Both of the 64 Zeldas have that affect on me. The really intense morbidity in a game that's generally pretty sunny & cheerful got to me as a kid. Bottom of the well felt really hosed up! The music is really uncomfortable as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ZL4EpC0Ok

Everything sounds vaguely vocal and atonal. It kinda throbs and breathes. There's not much of a clear melody, compared to other sections. Forest Temple is creepy, too, but in a more mysterious, deep forest way. Less pure dread.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Inverness posted:

Re-deads were the only thing I distinctly remember bothering me in OoT.

Re-deads, Wallmaster & Deadhand do it for me. Wallmaster is also one of the most frustrating enemies in any game.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

what's cool about OOT is that it was first and basically set every standard for 3D puzzles.

between it and Mario there's so much innovation it's crazy. first gen 3D had size change and time travel done well

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojsc6dg1sjE

here's gameplay from Polygon. He dies a bit, but doesn't seem to be actively lovely, just new at the game and loving around. Contains horse violence.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yep! He also gets struck by lightning and mentions that it can strike metal objects. Meaning you can throw boomerangs as lightning rods. This'll probably also allow for loving sick master sword power moves

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

murked by dragon posted:

i can't remember, was the Wii U totally sold out and hard to get for a few weeks after launch? if so, lol

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

from the other thread:

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/836635331139145732

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What's crazy is that HZD inherits so much from Zelda, but the author seems to not be aware of that. It's one thing to be unaware of history, but the reviews he's complaining about so hard mention that it's got a load of Zelda DNA. What a weird message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I just started playing Link's Awakening and I'm really impressed by how slick it is. I'm only just now up to Tail Cave, but I'm excited to see where it goes. The music and graphics are surprisingly great and there's a lot of character in the minimal dialogue. It feels so much like ALBW and LTTP, despite being a Gameboy game.