Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Legend Of Zelda.... is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Why do people even care about this stuff?

The whole point of the "Legend of Zelda" is there's always a Zelda and there's always a Hero of Time.

He's literally the dread pirate roberts. There's dozens of different Links throughout time in different scenarios. Its the perfect excuse for games to have sequels that are all similar but slightly different.

And then you guys gotta go and force some timeline into it because you just can't handle that?

Nintendo did it themselves

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

right ok, i didn't realize that you had infinite arrows / bow in shrines

You don't. The infinite use was the wrong thing for that guy to focus on

The shrines are where you get what would usually be dungeon items, things used to solve puzzles or possibly help out in combat in unusual ways

As opposed to actual weapons like bows and swords etc.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

I haven't/am not watching any live streams, it's late in this part of the world and I guess you folks will link to recordings tomorrow?

But looking at the trailer, and hearing how it's about open world survivalist and gathering food and cooking and stuff, I just hope it isn't too minecraft-y. I hope for cool dungeon designs and a good plot. It's easy to not have a plot at all except for an opening and an ending with such an open game.

If I were just hearing about this rather than watching that would be my reaction too. But it's very much not actually a survival or minecraft type game. Everything you're cooking and finding is purely to help you in combat and exploration. It's all extremely simple and looks very non-time consuming at all. It's not the central focus of the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Girl mashed through it but you have dialogue options for Link now, something he said was "that wasn't part of the deal!" to the old man/ww king hyrule/ganondorf, so that's interesting. Coming up next Aonuma explores outside the plateau.

Relatedly, he said something about "traveling instantly" so looks like fast travel will be available fairly early on, which is good in an overworld this size

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thanks for this

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

I missed the part of the stream where they explain what orbs are. I saw how you get them--what do you use them for?

They didn't say. In the demo you complete the four shrines on the plateau and receive the paraglider. In the main game they implied they're used for something else.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I most of all like that Nintendo doesn't feel the need to do the absolute garbage fake gaming multiplayer conversations over footage like Ubisoft

Just have people playing and talking about it and sometimes they're awkward or things go wrong or they slip up but who cares

It's so much better

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The menu screen had a rupee counter

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bean posted:

Did they say something in the stream about Link changing hair styles? I thought I heard that but it was real brief.

Also I hope they left NPCs out because Hyrule is now populated by giraffes or something.

In one of the pre recorded clips they showed of other areas off the plateau, it definitely looked like Link had a different hair style.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The two screen model for Nintendo handhelds has been an absolute success. There's no way they should walk that back.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I mean I like the gamepad too, but I can definitely see them losing it on future consoles. It's cool but the two screens being much more difficult to look at simultaneously really limits what you can do with it.

Handhelds don't have that problem and I can't see them releasing a future replacement for the 3DS that only has one screen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

When I play I'm going to beeline for Hyrule castle and Death Mountain ASAP and get killed

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I'm going to carefully explore the plateau to find all of the available shrines and other helpful items/secrets before moving on to the nearest and most accessible area that the game points me to.

That sounds very wise, and I admire your restraint

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Apparently there was a stampede this morning at e3 to get to the Nintendo booth to play this game. The line for the demo of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was four hours long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahMRnlWf2P0

All aboard the hype train

Praise the sun dude owns

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's out, in my heart

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Goons, are you going to get Breath of the Wild for Wii U or NX?

The Wii U definitely. I expect to get an NX eventually but all console releases tend to start with very anemic software lineups. I prefer to wait a bit for more games to come out.

Meanwhile there's no way I don't play a Zelda on release so Wii U it is.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Don't know who Chico is

You're not welcome here

(She's a woman on the Treehouse streams who was very entertaining to watch because of her incredible bloodlust)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Anyway I just checked and since there was only one Zelda segment on Day 2 of the Treehouse stream, it was actually pretty easy to pinpoint the Talus fight.

Here you go, greatn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNKgwyy2WTI&t=22800s

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bring back Dimitri

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Infinitum posted:

It's actually the baby penguin you kick off the side of the mountain in Super Mario 64

It's George Ice Cube from Banjo-Tooie

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wii U version is prettier but the 3DS version has more and better content. I'm honestly a bit peeved they never updated the Wii u version to match but what can you do. Still the Wii U version has tons of content so if you don't want to play it literally forever you'd probably be fine with just the base game of that.

Anyway if you do go for the 3DS one make sure that you have a New 3DS because the game runs like garbage on the original. That's the main reason I never played it - I didn't feel like replacing my 3DS just for a game I'd already played but with new content.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I would just say don't buy the DLC. Play the base game for the ungodly long time it will take and then just move on.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaksmndynT8

Huh, forest water insta-kills the plant boss in WW, who knew?

This is absolutely incredible

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Upon looking up development details about the Link to the Past, I came across an Kotaku article that mentions setting grass on fire in that game as a feature they didn't have time to complete. Interesting to see where that probably came from, finally happening in Breath of the Wild!

http://kotaku.com/5904884/the-making-of-the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past

Actually they did end up implementing it already - in Four Swords Adventures

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

The short answer is "yes, he definitely was" but "not officially."

Yes officially, the gossip stones spell it out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuU6ojvBIic

spoilers Wind Waker is for babies and he says the dungeons suck

This one is pretty bad. I don't totally disagree with the specific points he brings up in the video, but I totally reject his conclusions. He correctly praises the new steps forward in puzzle design that Windwaker brings to the series and then dismisses them out of hand because the dungeons don't require much backtracking. He even brings up that they did include more complicated exploration and backtracking to find all the optional things but dismisses it as significant. But like he touches on then ignores, players don't know what's significant and what isn't and his analysis is from the perspective of someone who already knows what's important, not someone who's just exploring and figuring out to get to all the chests.

Also lmao that he says the Wind Temple is the best one

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

pee out my butt posted:

This Wind Waker video and the Oracle one before it were both terrible, this series is really going downhill fast.

Yeah, I actually kinda liked the Oracle video (even though it didn't talk much about the Oracle dungeons) because I thought the chart he developed could provide an interesting way to supplement future dungeon discussion. Now though seeing him put it into practice, it seems like he's using that chart to boil the dungeons down to "non-linear = good, linear = bad" and that's both boring and way too narrow a focus.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think Moblins were always pig-like, though in OoT they looked like Bulldogs. I think they were still supposed to be pigs?

Nah they have definitely been depicted more like bulldogs. OOT is one examble, but the older games like the Zelda 1, Zelda 2, and the Gameboy games they weren't pig-like at all. Link to the past is the first one they looked like pigs, and they've been more consistently pig-like since Windwaker.

E: Though to be honest I'm not sure how I'd characterize Skyward Sword's ones. They're just kinda... bulbous

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 21, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

I am playing Link's Awakening and it seems to have both bulldog and pig moblins unless I am misunderstanding something.

You're right it does and I totally forgot it had two separate kinds

I think it's the only one that does that??

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackheart posted:

I remember getting the item for the kangaroo, was there a way to choose which animal buddy to summon? I think I had to use the other two at least once though.

Yep you can get the item for any of the three of them. Each one has a certain requirement you have to fulfill to get them, with Moosh being the default in Ages and Ricky the default in Seasons. It doesn't change very much overall - the biggest thing is that Dimitri allows for some very minor sequence breaking in one of the games - but it's kinda neat.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yes, and it was made to promote the second album which just released.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Koroks and Rito-likes eh?

I like where this is going

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 2, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm going to fuse all the kinstones.

Godspeed

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

pee out my butt posted:

No you aren't.

All it takes is persistence

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Phimosissy posted:

I finished XCX in a timely manner by playing it for sixty hours then selling it back to gamestop extremely unfinished.

Same, but three hours

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Do we know where along the timeline Breath of the Wild will be? I guess we don't really have any details. I need to finish OoT and then I plan to go through the "hero is successful" timelines with the games I have. Which is everything except Four Swords + Hyrule Adventure. I need a new gamecube controller because I lost my wavebird so I can play Wind Waker. Not really interested in the defeated timeline. I'm trying to get into LttP but I just don't really like the gameboy or the NES games.

Best theory so far is some time after Windwaker. We've seen Koroks and bird people that may be the Rito.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

quote:

Miyamoto: One idea was with the lantern: if you used it on a grassy area, it would cause a huge brushfire. If you cut a little circle of grass around you, you could safely stand there in the middle of it!

Wow they brought this back more than 10 years later for Four Swords Adventures. That rules.

I also loved the discussion of the pulling switches controversy. It's really wonderful to read about game developers coming up with simple ideas that had just never been done before.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

See that mountain? I can go there.

I'm gonna do this and see what happens if I make a beeline for the castle

After those two things I'll probably just let my heart guide me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

ALttP is a good game that did not age well at all.

What the

Some genuinely insane posting going on itt