Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

HighwireAct posted:

I think my biggest concern is not with this game specifically, but with what happens after. How are they possibly gonna top what's looking to be the definitive 3D Legend of Zelda?

They make the Breath of the Wild version of Majora's Mask, where they double down on just loving around in the massive world. A massive open world Zelda game filled with nothing but the crazy side-quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
First thing like half of all people will do day 1 is move a giant rock near something they can climb, freeze the rock and beat the poo poo out of it, then climb the thing and jump on to the rock. At which point, one way or another, magic should happen. First thing half of everyone that is left will do is make sure they have the hang glider before they try that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Sigh... that was another thing that annoyed me in Skyward Sword. It felt like it put a serious limitation on the degree to which you could explore places (not that there was much to explore). Maybe being able to upgrade stamina will find a way around that.

You effectively have infinite stamina, because you can eat stamina restoring food while climbing. We've seen people do it on streams. So as long as you prepare, anything it's physically possible to climb to the top of if you had infinite stamina you can. I imagine a lot of people will play the game as crazy [Naked] Link, running around hunting the poo poo out of key ingredients to craft massive buff potions, then using those buff potions to climb poo poo and swim naked in ice lakes. 5 weeks in they'll be the ones that go "This game has dungeons?!".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Gorgolflox posted:

This game has bomb arrows? I really hope there is a crafting system for items and such. I want bomb arrows, I want a million of them.

The arrows we've seen are bomb, fire, ice, and lightsaber. Because like any rational person would the Hyleans took light sword technology and decided the smart thing to do was put it on the end of a stick and launch it at people really far away.

e: I look forward to finding some in a cave nine seconds into a game and using them to hunt deer.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 19, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Rime posted:

Enemies display emergent weapon gathering skills.

One of the endless streams from the floor showed the bokoblins hunting a boar and one of them eating the meat that fell from it after Link hurt him. And it did give him back health.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY0i9OL96-E&t=285s

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Blackheart posted:

There can only be one Link... and one Ganondorf! BROOOTHEEEEEEER

There were two Links in Twilight Princess!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Majora's Mask being so focused on their lives and so sad and gloomy was the best choice. It makes the ending that much more satisfying. I imagine the last 3 last 3 days with a Link that has crawled through the jungle of these people's social Vietnam for God knows how long, and he just shows up and starts sprinting through their bullshit like the world's angriest angel fixing their horrific problems and killing monsters, and by the end he doesn't even need a special mask to turn into a pissed off demigod. He's just that ready to put the Mask to bed. Then he just rides off into the gloomy woods like fantasy Time Jesus, having bettered the lives of an entire town.

Bombers Secret Society of Justice *forever*

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

well why not posted:

Majora's Mask sounds like such a bad idea on paper.

The idea on paper is "What if we made a Zelda game that was all cute sub-quests dealing with the funny NPCs?" which is conceivably the greatest idea in video game history. Like I wouldn't want every Zelda game being that, but I wouldn't mind if did it more often.

e: Not every game needs 8 dungeons and a Gannon to be interesting.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 26, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

In the treehouse stream the non Miyamoto guy said you can sort of tame dogs and they will follow you around.

Not only that, the dude tried to feed his horse and dropped the apple, then the dog came over and ate it. After it did it got attached to the guy and started following him around. Breathe of the Wild: Extreme dog taming action.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

It says "straight to the goal" which could just mean "stick to only doing the things that get you to the final boss," with the stuff you'd miss being the side quests and dungeons that reveal the rest of the story. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there are multiple ways to read that, specifically because I don't want people to be disappointed and feel lied to if it does turn out you can't waltz right into the final dungeon immediately.

They've talked about it multiple times, and it's literally you can go straight to the end while by-passing everything else.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't like Majora's Mask

And now we must fight with knives.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
King of Red Lions was a loving G, easily made Ganon look like a bitch, went out like a boss.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

BattleHamster posted:

Has anyone heard about taming things other than horses? There have been some horse-sized rams in the linked videos and I can't stop thinking about riding one of those instead of a lame old horse.

There's a picture on I think the Gamespot review of him in the middle of taming a deer. It doesn't have the dash gauge icons, and it's possible he can't actually ride it, but he's on it's back and he has the "Soothe" command.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

I wouldn't say the Edge review contains major spoilers. What's the policy of review scans on here, anyway? Because I have a link I could post if people want it.

To be explicit it contains the totality of the main goals outlined, and what happens as you complete them. Which might be more than a lot of people wanted.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

"Do thing x times then fight the end boss"

It gives you a lot more than that, even having a part hilariously going "I don't want to spoil what this gives you, but <pretty much a description of exactly what it does>". Which is cool, but people might not want to know quite so much about the plot and the rewards and the upgrade system and the pretty much everything else. And if they don't, that might be an article they want to skip.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Majora's Mask effectively already did the half-step between this and a 'traditional' Zelda. They aren't totally reinventing the wheel, they already did a game that removed the focus on dungeons and focused more on world. From all accounts BoW has a legitimate story happening, and it has a ton of major fights and puzzles all over the place. The only thing you are giving up is picking up most of that stuff happening in a dungeon. Conversely now you ride around on an elk and cook up your own potions and dick with a truly impressive physics engine while all that stuff is happening.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I'm just happy I haven't wandered into someone talking about where this falls in the timeline.....

.....yet :(

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

FooF posted:

Reviews are all essentially saying the same thing, which is the number #1 fear that everyone had when people started seeing how big the map of BotW was: yeah it's big but is there anything to do in it?

I love how in the giant bomb review he was talking about how he saw a random island out in the water and decided to go to it and when he got there is was.....well, some crazy poo poo that sounded super intense and hard even for Nintendo hard fuckery. And how he just runs into stuff like that all over the place.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

One thing about stamina: there does seem a way to permanently boost your stamina, at least going by what a couple of reviewers have said about shrines. That said, it looks like you can maybe double it at most? That's just judging by what your increased stamina looks like on the UI (an extra green circle around your base one that you unlock in quarters).

At least triple.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

MokBa posted:

I would've called it "Future best then worst then best" but that was very long.

Future Best/Worst/Best Zelda Game

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

2. There's a shrine earlyish into the post-Plateau plot (if you follow the main story quest), which involves gliding and wind. I can't figure out how to get the drat chest on the solitary platform :argh: Anyone do this yet?

I just rode the draft until close and hard banked right. He hit the side and kicked himself up....eventually. I don't know if the loot is randomized, but I got a climbing bandana from it that made everything worth it.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

If you go right to the summit of the cold mountain he gives you the itchy shirt as a reward for getting up there without freezing. I just made it up by cooking some hot food and chugging it on the way up.

I wonder how many people will find that, or the fact you can show him the rediscovered recipe from the log cabin to get a cold weather shirt.

e: Really there is a metric fuckton of stuff just on the plateau, and then I look at the map and Jesus it's so big.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 3, 2017

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

If its the first Lyon you find in Zora, you're not supposed to fight him. Discretion is the better part of valor!

He gives a good shield, sword, and bow.

Fight him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

How are you supposed to avoid his attacks? Shock arrows are cheap as poo poo.

My strategy was to have a 40 shield and stand in front of his loving face and make him brutally regret the day he ever saw me.

Your mileage may vary.

Really though I had 1 level upgrade armors, a 3 armor up meal, and then I just beat the poo poo out of him. The shield kept his attacks from knocking me over mostly, and if he did the fire ball thing I used the updraft to drop some arrows in his face.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Loopoo posted:

I got the Zora Trident but I have no idea how much it costs / what it needs to repair, as I haven't broken it yet.

Well there are two tridents you can repair. The Ceremonial Trident and the Lightscale Trident. The ingredients for the Ceremonial repair are 1 Zora Trident and 5 Flint. The Lightscale is the same except you add 1 Diamond. This is only slightly annoying because there is a ton of Luminous Stone around the area and you can trade 10 of it to a builder in the Zora Town for a Diamond.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think that when two posters quickly jumped on literally 1 line about the weapons and ignored the rest without trying to rebutt them, it says something.

It says they think you are an idiot and immediately disregard you after the first stupid thing you said. That's why you either don't say stupid things in a review, or you put the stupid things til later in the review. If you start out stupid nobody gives a poo poo what the rest of your review says, they've already checked out. Pro review tip I gave you there.

alf_pogs posted:

what is a good weapon for wrecking lynels? everything i have does such measly damage. i can counter and flurry him well enough but the odds of doing enough damage before im down to a torch just dont exist

Stasis+

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Zore posted:

There should have been a Korok champion too.

Who do you think you are?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
If it's glowing, it's good. If not, it's just a sword that can lose durability.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
There's a guy in the town you build that sells all the unique poo poo you can pick up and not get anywhere else.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I feel like the rain climbing thing would be excusable if they let me use Cryonis on the side of mountains in the rain.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Zoran posted:

I enjoyed the slow reveal that yes, this Zelda totally had the hots for Link, and her magic manifested because of The Power of Love. And also that Zelda is a huge dork.

I found it amusing people are constantly giving Zelda poo poo for not manifesting her power, and literally the second she's in a position to have to use it she does it. I don't know you colossal fucksticks, maybe the power to seal away evil actually required some loving evil to manifest itself first before it came out? It's not like that poo poo is a nightlight, it's the holy power of the Goddess. It'll be there when you need it. Maybe if they let her actually study things like she wanted to she'd have figured out how all their robots worked and they wouldn't have gotten hijacked so easily.

e: Also the pay off for the Divine Guardians might make the final fight even easier, but drat if it isn't an amazing "....I hosed up" moment.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Game is huge, so many people I've seen never even find Lurelin Village or half the mini-games or all sorts of things. Just an endless stream of "Wait, that was in the game? I never saw that!".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

As for zelda, hopefully they can step back a bit from this and bring back the gating the series became known for. I love that type of gameplay :(

I mean they make all sorts of Zeldas, and I imagine the handheld type ones will stick with that mode, but I don't see them seriously walking back to "We gave you an awesome world to live in, and now.....walk from A to B, then B to C, then C to D!".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

LBW, the previous Zelda, has a far better ending. After you defeat Ganon it pretty much says The End. Then after the credits you get a couple bland cutscenes. This game does not have a good finish at all. You are kidding yourself if you think it does.

Then kidding yourself sounds loving awesome, and whatever you have going on sounds like poo poo. Ignorance and delusion forever.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yes, it's the Hyrule Compendium. You take a picture of an item and it tells you the places it is most likely to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Maple Leaf posted:

he makes some good points.

He certainly made points, but they are entirely subjective. Which is fine, except when you spend two hours sharing them. You better be the loving Ken Burns of youtube commenters if you want 2 hours of my life to say "I wish the game was different". The Every Frame a Painting guy can take ten minutes and completely break down action scene as an artistic medium, in two loving hours your youtube video better have changed my life.