Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Republicans posted:

If you run up to the highest spot in the mountains the old man will be up there and he'll give you some. Very handy.

Well Imma just go do that right now then!

In case anybody missed it, there's one of those leaf spirit kodama things hiding on the topmost point of the temple of time, if you climb all the way up there assassin's creed style. Also a chest with a bow.

eonwe posted:

i hope you are all enjoying the game :) i will get to in about 5 hours

Its really good man :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Walrus posted:

is there a way to repair weapons?

I'm thinking no, but I'm hoping yes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dexie posted:

Can you explain more on how to do the second one?

If you press X to jump while pressing left or right while locked on, you'll jump to the side and dodge. If you do this at the last second before you get hit, time will slow down (matrix bullet time) and you get a prompt saying you can mash Y to do chain attacks real fast. Its super obvious that you've done it if you time it right. If you get hit, too slow, if you just dodge to the side, too early. (But early is safer than late!)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

God drat the music in this game is really good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I love that this game lets you do what you want. I just activated a Shieka tower I really don't think I was supposed to do yet. It was surrounded by guardians and I just rode a horse past them, jumped off, and managed to climb the whole thing dodging like 4 lasers.

RCarr posted:

:( That hurts my heart.

Edit: In the last few minutes my order has gone from "Preparing to ship", to "Shipping today."

I'm still holding out hope!

I've gotten deliveries as late as 7-8pm sometimes. No guarantee, but its possible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

For people who have been playing a while: how many runes are there for the Sheikah Slate? Is it just Magnesis, Stasis, Cryonis, and the bombs, or are there more later on?

I was wondering the same thing. If you check your shiekah slate though, and look at the runes... there's a blank space for another one to go there. And previously its not like there were exactly that many spaces, it adds spaces as you get more.

So I think the implication is that there's a few more :) I really hope so.

That said, its definitely not one new rune for EVERY shrine, I've done a few that just use a combination of those runes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Amazon seems to be disappointing lots of people with this one: http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/3/14808024/amazon-switch-delivery

oh dear :ohdear:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Keese swarms at night are terrifying

I was like "what on earth is that sound?!?!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jimmy Hats posted:

I'm stuck in zelder. I did the first 4 shrines and need to meet old dude where they cross, but i can't find him. I went to the temple of time and upgraded my health but no old dude. Help!

Did you skip the cutscene or go to the bathroom? The old dude tells you to meet him on the roof after the cutscene where you get more health.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

So what do the other amiibo do? The 8-Bit Link gets you the Classic Link hat.

Each zelda amiibo gives you some random goodies (different ones, foods and crafting materials, but nothing too crazy) and a chest. The chest contains stuff based on the amiibo; links usually give swords, bow link gives a bow, zelda gives crafting materials, etc.

You can use them once per day I think. I may have to buy one. And apparently the rewards are kinda random, so check again tomorrow and you might get the classic link tunic? Or classic link shield?

The really unique one is wolf link, which lets you summon wolf link into breath of the wild as an animal companion to attack your enemies with you.

E: Non-zelda amiibo work too, but only give you the common goodies; no chest.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 4, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Korok seeds let you expand your inventory!!!!

Thank you blessed jesus

s.i.r.e. posted:

How the hell do you cook?

Its kinda intuitive. You need a pot over a fire, if you find a pot with no fire light a stick and bring it over, then swipe at the pot to put it on fire.

Then go into your inventory, find something, and press "hold". Then you can select other things as well, you don't have to select "hold" anymore since you're already selecting things to hold. Then leave your inventory, and now you have a "cook" prompt at the pot to cook whatever you're holding.

This way you can combine things into complex dishes.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 4, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

OH MY GOD THIS GAME

So I decided to ignore the main quest a bit and strike out on my own exploring just to see what I happened into. Found some really cool poo poo, this lead to that, ended up going to a high level zone way off the beaten path. This place is so cold that the spicy food or warm clothes alone won't do it; you need to stack both.

I end up fighting a river spirit dragon boss (very much like Haku from spirited away) which has been corrupted. This requires me to shoot several corrupted spots along the dragon's back which have giant evil eyes on them, but the trick is each time you shoot one, the dragon moves. CONSIDERABLY MOVES. Like, ACROSS THE ENTIRE ZONE. So you're chasing after this dragon from mountaintop to mountaintop using the paraglider and using these air streams to shoot you to and fro, and each time you have to stop and snipe another spot and then move to the next. SOMEHOW, even though I'm freezing the whole time and I'm out of spicy food so now I'm just eating food constantly to survive the cold damage, and I'm running out of arrows, and yet somehow I manage to pull the thing off. I have 2 arrows left. Then I am told to shoot the purified dragon to return its spirit to the river. I fire. I have one arrow left. I did it. I completed this thing. Holy poo poo.

My reward is.... a shrine. Really? After all that hard work? A shrine? I mean, shrines are cool and all, I need them, but man, that's a lot of work for not a whole lot of payout. I felt kinda disappointed. But hey, let me go ahead and do this shrine, some puzzles will be a fun change of pace...

"By entering this place, you have already proven yourself worthy." Immediately I'm already at the shrine's ending. The only thing there is a treasure chest. No puzzles, because I already beat a loving dragon.

I love this game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

knob posted:

So stuff like opals and amber. Okay to sell or keep them? I'm super loving broke but really paranoid about selling some rare drop that I might need for a quest

diamonds are definitely not safe to sell. I'm not sure about opals and amber, I *think* they're okay?

I'm mostly selling monster parts since you can always farm tons of those. As long as you fight most people you run into, you should have a lot of basic monster parts and probably won't bother cooking them all into alchemy. Sell a big stack of parts and you make a few hundred rupees easy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Wait, diamonds are not safe to sell? Fuckkkkk I've sold like 2 of them and they were rare as poo poo. Can you spoil me on what they're used for?

I don't know. I just heard there's something you can use them for later in the game, like trading for something. And I think there's only so many diamonds in the game period. Somebody else might know exactly what you get from them.

Despera posted:

This the greatest game of all time? seems like it

For real

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PSA: If you find a shrine but don't want to do it right now, make sure you at least open the front door. You don't have to take the elevator down, but until you open the door you can't fast travel to it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

knob posted:

So apparently you can mount bears? I haven't been successful yet, but the couple times they've mauled my face off, I noticed a press A to mount prompt

Oh my god I really hope this is true. I was really really hoping there'd be some mounts other than the horses, as awesome as those are. Oh man.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Motto posted:

Anybody find a stump with a pinwheel in it? It's making korok noises but I dunno what to do with it. Thought a leaf would do it, but nope.

Yeah I found one. Uhhhh what did I do... There's something in the area around you.

Is there a balloon around you can shoot with your bow?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look up at the targets floating in the air around you.

beaten nm

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I just did a shrine that honestly put Half-Life 2's physics puzzles to shame.

Like god drat this game!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Locke Dunnegan posted:

How early do you get to repair weapons? I'm running around with four weapons nearly broken and the next best are the lovely ~4 damage starting ones lying around. Just got through Kakariko so I'm not too far in. Do I use any of the mining material to repair them or something? Having durability in a game that came out in 2017 is really weird and it's stressing me out.

You're very much meant to just toss weapons and find more as you go. If you run out, use some arrows or some bombs or something creative (magnetism) to kill people, then take whatever weapons they have.

I hope there is weapon repairing, but if there is you're not gonna get it anytime soon. I don't think anybody in thread has it yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

snoremac posted:

I've spent half my day dicking around in Gerudo Desert, not even accomplishing much of anything except a few shrines. It's cool to think that while I've gone this way other people are exploring places I've never seen like Zora territory or Death Mountain or this island people keep mentioning. It feels special.

Yeah totally, I went to a super frozen mountain that I don't see anybody else talking about. I looooove how free the game is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

played this on wiiu gamepad since 7, I love it. feels like Journey mixed with Shadow of the Colossus. Being able to climb anything everywhere is beyond brilliant. Only just got the parachute thingy and set off looking for a village but I do love how nice the game looks and feels. Everyone screaming about unplayable sub-20 FPS is confirmed lying pissbitch because I hardly see anything gamebreaking.

It definitely lags like CRAZY in some of the villages, but it never really bothers me. The game is so pretty anyways, and its not like you need split-second FPS reactions in this game, so its really not at all bothersome.

I'm sure switch would be nice though, and I'll get one eventually.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You can change the color of your outfits?!?! :stare:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

Whats with Links very modern reebok looking boxer briefs? He should be wearing a goatskin loincloth or something when he got out of that pool.

Did you look at all the technology that was going on in that room??

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

How the hell do I find and catch crickets in this game? I can hear them, but never see them and it's driving me crazy. :(

When you hear them, cut some of the nearby grass. They hide in the grass. But you have to be quick, after you reveal them from cutting grass, they try to fly away. You have to nab them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Can you sell weapons? I don't think I have come across a merchant that will yet. Better question, should I be making sure I sell stuff instead of just dropping it?

No, you cannot sell weapons or armor. Armor is permanent and you only get one of each, weapons and bows and shields are temporary but cannot be sold. Only crafting materials and such goods can be sold.

Drop any weapons you aren't gonna use.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

How do you drop or throw a bow, or do I need to waste arrows to break my current one whenever I find a new one that's better than anything I'm currently holding?

The same way you drop weapons or anything else in the game?!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

This is definitely in discussions for GOAT and like 100% the best open world game ever. It takes all the great bits from Skyrim, Far Cry 3 onwards, Phantom Pain, and SO MANY MORE and improves upon them while cutting out all the bullshit.

Add Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls, Journey and even Portal to the list of things this game apes and does magnificently all together at the same time. Its straight bonkers.

And it does it all while looking like Ni No Kuni but better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Despera posted:

I think stealing the portal colors for the portal rooms was a little much . Though if theres anyone out there who deserves to steal gaming ideas its nintendo

To be fair, blue and orange are the most popular colors in use today period. Almost every Hollywood film is filtered to be some degree of blue and orange in like half its shots, because they have strong contrast and look way more pleasing than other strongly contrasting colors, and orange matches human skin and blue matches sky, so its a really common pairing of colors.

Lots of multiplayer games have even taken to making the teams Blue vs Orange instead of the classic capture the flag colors of Red vs Blue.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Is there any sort of NG+ in this? It's pretty ridiculous to even think about an ending that's several dozens of hours away for me, but I'm curious just because I know I'll replay this once I finally get a Switch.

Nintendo announced a "Hard Mode" DLC as part of the season pass

canned from the band posted:

Does anyone know what to do with the small red wind mills dotted around? Seen two of em, thought they were connected to getting a korok seed, but can't seem to activate it.

I haven't seen those, but did you try using one of the leafs to blow on them? That'd be my first guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My complaints so far: I can't remap the buttons (X to jump? seriously? Yes, I know you can swap it with run, but then X to run isn't any good either) and it suck that weapons break so fast, especially for unique weapons like the leaf or the boomerang.

Otherwise: This is the best zelda game ever and maybe the best game ever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Loopoo posted:

drat. I'm gonna have to ride all the way back to Dueling Peaks to register this horse. I've fallen for him and really don't wanna lose him. I'm too scared to go into a shrine cause I feel like he'll despawn.

There's other stables too, but I guess that's the closest one. Yeah its worth registering him if you like the horse.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

snoremac posted:

Low level heat resistance. It won't work everywhere.

Edit: Poster above says it's high resistance but I swear there was a point in the desert where I was gliding up real high and getting overheated.

Note that if you don't have high level resistance, stacking two forms of low level resistance will do the trick!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Top notch horse shenanigans in this game.

I will NEVER get tired of jumping off my horse to land a sword hit right on somebody's noggin in a stylish flip, nor jumping off my horse in matrix slow motion bullet time to snipe 3 moblins' heads before I even land on the ground.

That's another reason to expand your stamina too; more stamina = more bullet time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kirios posted:

I never thought I'd ever say this...

But Link to the Past is no longer the best Zelda game. This. loving. Game.

For some, I could see LttP, Ocarina, Wind waker or even Zelda 1 if you're super nostalgic being 'the best'.

But no longer. The argument is over. Long live the king.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Are Opals and other stones safe to sell or should I be saving them for something else?

They can be used in crafting to add water element to weapons

I'm not sure but I feel like opals and amber aren't unique drops so it may be safe to sell them if you're hard up for cash. But I'm not positive.

People have said though at the very least diamonds are unique drops, there's only so many in the game world, and they have a purpose other than money (not sure myself what it is, maybe upgrading gear) so they're worth saving it seems.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zore posted:

They're all infinitely available though even if diamonds are stupid rare (I had one pop out of a mining site so they def aren't unique)

This is possible, but its also possible that was just a uniquely placed diamond from a mining site. The game could well save that you collected that diamond. The only way to know for sure would be to get another diamond from that same site at a later point in time.

After all the game does save which kokoroks you've saved and stuff like that. And heck, it even remembers which monsters are dead and doesn't respawn them until a blood moon. It saves all kinds of overworld data.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zore posted:

I had to reload that save because it bugged out and didn't let me pick up a minibosses' drops after I killed it. When I mined it again I only got flint and topaz so I'm pretty sure its just a rare drop

Mining is totally RNG and you can pretty easily test it by reloading and remining. You'll almoat alwats get different stuff

Even if that's true, it could still have a counter of how many diamonds you've mined randomly and stop giving them after awhile. Its very hard for us to know how the game works from just these couple clues.

But that does make it seem more likely if true. And I'd love to hear that nothing is actually unique so I don't have to stress so much about hoarding things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

I'm anxious to increase my inventory space for weapons. Can someone just hint me in the right direction?

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

I should have been more specific. I have like 10 seeds and already heard someone mention it involves using those.

You need to find a really big kokorok spirit guy. He starts on the path to Kakariko village, just north of the bridge north of the stables past twin peaks.

You have to do a quick side-quest for him to retrieve his precious maracas :3: its very quick and easy.

After you buy 2 upgrades from him though he moves to the stables north of Hyrule.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Can confirm that Amiibos can be used once per day, over and over, and give slightly different rewards each time!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bogart posted:

Oh sweet bippity. How the hell do you beat Guardians? I can cut all their arms off, but it'll still pop me from full health to nothing with one laser shot. Is it just 'hide behind trees and throw bombs?'

DON'T.

Seriously, don't. You're not really equipped to beat Guardians until later in the game. They're stupidly difficult early on, until you get proper equipment which can wreck them, like ancient arrows.

Also anything that kills you in one shot means "you're not ready for this". Any enemy that the game really expects you to beat should only hit you for a few of your hearts. This means your current armor is insufficient to fight this enemy. You CAN try to do it, which is awesome, but its not really something a new player should be worried about pulling off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Where are the DLC chests?

I don't have them, but the DLC mentioned they're hidden and you have to actually go find them. LOL. That's some Zelda poo poo right there.

It may have said something about them being on the plateau but I could be wrong about that.