Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Relin posted:

ahahaha the neogaf thread is 40 straight pages of people complaining about the gender of a character with no personality

i hope they add female link and metroid other m the hell out of her

nintendo kinda brought it upon themselves with some of the statements they put out.

in non-piss talk, I'm kinda amazed at how much new stuff there is here. they've talked about breaking series traditions before only to bring another strongly conventional Zelda, but now they've dumped a whole bunch of new mechanics, physics and items on us and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

might've been posted before but
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/742839945543462912

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Complaining about Zelda of all things being openworld is bizarre; the series has been criticized for years for becoming more restrictive and linear in structure as it's worn on, culminating in Skyward Sword dropping all pretense of being a grand adventure and just plopping you down in three entirely separate fetchquest and minigame zones.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 15, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SirPenguin posted:

According to this article it's possible to beat the game without actually finishing the story

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/15/11942652/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-ending

That's pretty wild for a Zelda. I guess it implies that story content and "main thread" content are very different from each other. Hard to wrap my head around that unless the story is heavily tied to the shrines whereas the main thread ("Kill Ganon"?) is tied to the dungeons?

That's a dumb way of wording it on Polygon's part. When you read Aonuma's statement, it's just that some of the content that sheds light on the story is optional.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're tied to your Nintendo Account, but tranfer from console to console is kind of obtuse.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This game's design is about as far from SS as you can get.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Super Mario Maker's pretty much a nail in the coffin for new 2D mario games, for a while at least,

Not really. SMM still has its limits, and fanmade courses tend to trend towards being weird, funny, gimmicky, or hard rather than providing a well-designed, cohesive experience like a full-on Mario does. Might spur them to come up with a new aesthetic though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Trent posted:

Fi as a character was fine.

Fi had a character?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

they've referred to Zelda 1 as a major influence since the game's announcement, so probably

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

youcallthatatwist posted:

Looking at a walkthrough, it isn't as bad as I remembered, and I understand why miyamoto and co. made these choices at the time, but there's still a ton of bullshit in there that counts as terrible game design by modern standards. Like, in order to get to the eighth dungeon, you need to burn a single tree somewhere in the overworld. There are no in-game hints whatsoever towards this - not even to the fact that you need to burn a tree in the first place! If a game came out nowadays with a "puzzle" like that, it'd be justifiably panned.

That one's actually pretty easy since the tree is situated in a passage separating two sections of a screen. The first time I played Z1 I stumbled across it and grabbed the magic book early.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 16, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People are huge babies about time systems almost as a rule*, and MM's one of the more lenient examples since the 72 hours aren't particularly stringent with regards to any singular goal and can be reset at any time.

*me included since it got me to drop Lightning Returns first time around

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 26, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

New Breath of the Wild art:

Zelda 1 manual art:

Glad to see them keep referencing Z1 as inspiration.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think it's a stealth-remake or anything, but since the first teaser they've been very open about translating Z1's openness to 3D being their major aim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vga0QYSOuIc

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 1, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

LttP's just never grabbed me much no matter how many times I've tried it, which is a shame since most people seem to agree that it's the best one. It's not just age either since I enjoyed Z1 just fine.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, I wouldn't say LttP "aged" much; it generally plays identically as later 2D games with the main differences being structural stuff like the games up until LBW being more directed.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What I got was that you were supposed to be parrying at all times and doing a regular block at all was a fuckup.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Super Metroid's good but I don't like its physics or controls as much as the gba games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

IT LOOKS GOOD

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Wii U version's out on the same day as well.

Please don't run like poo poo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The VA sounds fine to me?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Apparently this says that the WiiU version requires a 3GB install.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/products.html

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Woah! This looks pretty heavy!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Phimosissy posted:

What does this mean? It's 60fps undocked but lower docked?

Watch the video

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The intersection of flipping out but also swearing to buy day-1 is a weird one.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

littleorv posted:

actually the dlc sounds good and $20 isn't very much. Ask me about my privilege

what kind of privilege is it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

woah

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think people were down on it but Nintendo wasn't pushing it as hard.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The only amiibo I'll ever own is yarn yoshi since it's not a boring plastic model and I found it on clearance.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I love the bit where his shield-board busts beneath him twice in a row.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dehry posted:

Aaaand I saw the main story spoiler.

I'm breaking this link. It's 5 minutes long and pretty much explains everything.

drive(DOT)google(DOT)com/file/d/0B_-lRU_g7aGGV1V0c0JjU2JGb3c/view

It's out there and will spread fast now. Not my file so will probably go down at some point.

E: The link was taken down but just search "Zelda" and sort by date on Youtube and you'll find it.

seems like the premise of the game rather than a late twist

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, even though I had a gamecube that staggered release date made TP a major selling point for me as a kid. Nintendo Power had articles every month leading up to it for a while.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Anybody find a stump with a pinwheel in it? It's making korok noises but I dunno what to do with it. Thought a leaf would do it, but nope.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Is there any downside to mining deposits with bombs? Carried a hammer for a while but used it up in a shrine and never replaced it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

Armor also makes a huge difference in this. You know the attack value that enemy weapons have when you pick them up? That's how much damage enemies do with them, too. Each of your hearts is the equivalent of 4 HP, so if an enemy hits you with a 10-attack weapon, well, that's not going to go well for you. But armor directly reduces damage, so if an enemy hits you with a 10-attack weapon and you have 8 armor, you're only going to take 2 damage (half a heart). Once you start finding armor that has actual defense your life is going to get a lot easier.

Do you ever just tank damage with enough armor, or does mitigation cap out at a quarter heart?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

I feel the opposite reading is true, since the game showed in memory sequences as well as the King's and Zelda's diaries that she did work her rear end off to unlock her magic powers to no avail and only got to look at ancient technology in her spare time until she was forbidden even doing that. There's also this really unsubtle analogy about silent princess flowers only being able to grow and prosper in the wild and just withering and dying in controlled domestic conditions, so my impression was we're supposed to think things wouldn't have ended up as shittily if Zelda could've just become an engineering princess and figure out how to update the guardians' anti-Ganon firewalls or whatever.

I haven't beaten the game yet, but yeah my impression is that poo poo partially went south because of how hard they tried to follow the prophecy to a t and how they thought Zelda "should" fit into that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

Don't think Link stepped into the role easily - yeah he was good with a sword after a lifetime of training but he wasn't synced with the Master Sword. He never spoke with it during the entire game, even though Zelda did at least twice. Memories specifically pointed to him not hearing it and the hero should be able to. Link gets relayed its message from the Deku Tree. Likewise, Zelda's power finally activates in a moment of Courage when she steps in front of Link after a lifetime spent praying to a goddess she couldn't hear. Rewatch the memories from the POV of role reversal between Zelda/Link.

The hero's soul learned better than to listen to the sword after the first time

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The issue with TP is that stuff never really ends. Tear collection bogs down the first act, you have another long wolf section to get the MS, and then some of the dungeon lead ups after that are also a drag. Arbiters and the Yeti dungeon are all good, but everything else has some boring stuff attached to it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I ended up doing the Rito dungeon first, so I guess it's only up from there.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

So, how many Zelda games have had explicitly romantic tones to Link and Zelda's relationship? I know Skyward Sword did, and in Breath of the Wild, Kass mentions that his teacher told him Zelda "only had eyes for her chosen knight," not to mention Paya's diary suggesting Link probably feels the same way about Zelda.

I always kind of enjoy the different levels of familiarity between Link and Zelda in each cycle. You go from things like Skyward Sword and BotW where they've known each other a long time to Twilight Princess where they barely even meet.

Spirit Tracks is another one, which makes sense since they're together the whole game. Also Zelda 2 I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

When I'm using a two-hander it's mostly about baiting flurry rushes and maybe getting extra licks in if they have other really obvious windows.