Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm finally posting in this thread after 140ish hours of playing my first time. I've gotten all the Divine Beasts but still haven't gone after CG because I want to get all the shrines (38 left to go!).

I have the 7 Scimitar, but I'm afraid of it breaking. I know that I can have Daruk's weapon rebuilt if it breaks (I found out unfortunately) but is there any way to get the scimitar or trident back if they break?

Also it makes me sad whenever I get to an edge of the map and it tells me that I cannot go any further. I was seriously bummed when I found that you cannot climb those spire-like mountains in the NNE corner of the world next to that big maze.

Edit: gently caress Lion centaur dudes. I've only taken out 2 of them, and the one in the colosseum I did with bombs over a long period of time from on high.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Great news about that. Thank you!

I'm officially mad that you cannot dress Epona in the monster saddle and bridle. :mad:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rain makes for some interesting game mechanics. It can be frustrating when you suddenly need to use a bomb or fire arrow and it's raining though.

Also just the other day I finally got the 4th Great Faerie and did a final update of some armor. Uh, I was raped. What the hey

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

The absence of a tool for conveniently dealing with rain is conspicuous, as every other environmental obstacle has multiple ways to work around it.

The only tool I kind of want for dealing with the rain is a modifier that if you had a Korok Leaf and you took it out while it was raining that link would hold it like an umbrella. It wouldn't do anything other than look neat. I really don't mind the rain and honestly it gives the world a more realistic feel. :shobon:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

BoyBlunder posted:

I just picked up BOTW for the Switch, and have just made it to Karikiko Village. Any tips for a new player?

jivjov posted:

Don't look at tips; just explore and have fun unless you get totally stumped. The more you can discover for yourself, the more you'll get out of this game

Bongo Bill posted:

Follow the plot until you get the camera, then do whatever you want. You will likely encounter more interesting things if you prefer following roads over scaling cliffs.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do whatever feels right to you personally and don't read this thread anymore until you're finished. I'm serious.:)

As somebody who is in at almost 150 hours and am still discovering things without looking at tips and spoilers (Ok, I did look at a couple things when I was super frustrated) I have to completely agree with these. I still have something like 37 shrines to uncover and I'm having a blast doing it. I'm STILL finding places that I had no idea that existed. This is honestly the most fun I've had with a video game in over a decade.

I went to go pick some durians and happened upon the Lord of The Mountain. Holy toledo!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I really need to use the camera more. I've barely got anything in my compendium. I do have some sweet photos of Link in weird places though.

Edit: I wish you could actually email yourself said pictures.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This may be old hat for some folks but I stumbled upon Farosh's spawing grounds! :monocle:

Edit: I love that I'm STILL finding new (to me) stuff in this game!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I accidentally killed a moblin's horse last night and now I'm worried about visiting the aforementioned place :sweatdrop:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mega64 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Quick, someone murder a bunch of horses for science.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

How in the living hell have I missed the merchant with the barbarian, climber, and rubber armor in Tarry Town for so long :psyduck:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

He doesn't show up immediately, gotta finish that sidequest first I'm pretty sure.

Oh I mean I've had Tarry Town for a long, long time now. I just never noticed him before :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Zoran posted:

You can also find all of those things somewhere in the world without paying.

Oh I know; I had parts of the outfits, I was just stunned that somebody just had them for sale.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm terrible at parrying but getting the timing right really feels great, it's been worth practicing because I love being able to pull it off. I like messing around in the fight shrines to practice different battle techniques since it's a controlled environment and you don't have to worry about dumb stuff like whoops now it's night and this big skeleton rear end in a top hat just joined in.

Just reading old posts since I've avoided the thread until now. My favorite one of these was I was fighting a Hynox early in the game (like the second one I ran into so they were still really hard) and I killed him with 2 1/2 hearts remaining and just after I grabbed the dropped goodies the Blood Moon waxed and revived him :stonk::haw:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Woah, good to know. But I still don't have a Hylian shield :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Well, nearly 200 hours into this game and I just realized the Guardian stalkers are basically Gohma from Zelda 1.

oh gently caress

I played the original LoZ on the NES when it came out. I still have great memories of playing. When I killed Gannon I was so PUMPED

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It is INCREDIBLY satisfying taking a really powerful weapon that is about to break and throw it into the face of an enemy, killing them with a splash of glowing blue shards.

I've gotten to the point where I've started to kill Lynels for fun and profit. Jeez.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just went to a mountain peak I hadn't climbed before and treasure chests are falling from the sky for some reason.

I guess I'm supposed to shield-surf after them? I just stasised one and hit it once with my sword to stop it dead in it's tracks.

I think thats one of the weirdest things I've run into in 156 hours of playing.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I finished my first run today. The ending really shows that the journey is 100% the reward. I'm continuing to play from my last save though as I still have a lot to find (map says I have 55.9 of 100%). How do I find out how many Taloses, Hynox and Lynels I've killed as a percentage? I'd like to nail them all to get those sweet, sweet medallions.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Beasteh posted:

I really dislike thunderstorms in this video game because it prevents you from climbing which is a huge part of your day to day activities and it's a hassle having to unequip metal items

Being unable to do things in a massive open RPG due to 'the weather' is bad

sexpig by night posted:

yea this has been my biggest genuine negative of the game so far. Rain and thunder is just a game pausing event and that bugs me. There's nothing to do while it rains so I'm left just running around and praying the small climbs I do risk don't get completely ruined by random slipping.

You could, you know, leave the area that it's raining and come back later.

Edit: Being on a really high elevation point and seeing a lightning storm in the distance is neat.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sab0921 posted:

Couple of things that have me stuck:

To max out the Ancient Armor, I need star fragments - is there a regular way to get them to spawn or do you just have to wander around at night and hope you see a shooting star?

Shooting stars ONLY happen at the full moon. In the Dueling Peaks Stable there is a guy you can talk to who will tell you the phase of the moon for that night. You can sit at the stable's cooking fire until night time, talk to him to figure out the phase of the moon, and if it's not a full moon that night, sit at the fire again to the next night, and so on.

The phases of the moon are:
Full Moon
Smaller than full
Three Quarter Moon
26th Day Moon
New Moon
Crescent Moon
7th Day Moon
13th Day Moon.

Remember that a blood moon can block the cycle.

So once you figure out what the cycle is, go to a high point and light a campfire and sit until night. Once you get to the night of the full moon, keep an eye out towards the horizon with plenty of sky showing. Between 11pm and 3am (iirc) on the night of a full moon there will be a shooting star. Watch it go all the way down (zoom in on it) and mark on your map where it lands. At that point, start trekking towards the star fragment. It's a good idea to look towards an area that doesn't have a lot of mountains so you don't have to climb over them to get to the fragment. Also be aware that once you get close to the fragment, it will start rolling downhill if it's on a slope.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I think the shooting stars are guaranteed on full moon nights, but by no means limited to them. This was at release though.

Ah, right, thanks

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm 165 hours in and still finding new stuff now and then. I've also never seen a bear in the game.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy poo poo why didn't I buy the Ancient Bow before now? That fucker shoots straight for the equivalent of like 10 miles or something. I'm going to be super bummed once it breaks since Giant Ancient Cores are super rare to collect. It's pretty amusing to make a lynel disappear with one shot of an ancient arrow from a distance where I can just barely make him out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jade Mage posted:

Am I missing something, does the boss scale to progression? Am I the only one who was disappointed by this?

No. Basically the game is "The journey is the reward" 100%. I killed Gannon and am really glad I could start again from the save right before the battle, because I'm STILL discovering a ton of stuff. I think I have 24 shrines left.

Also I really wish there was a way for the Switch to share your in-game photos. Last night I climbed to the highest spire of Hylia Castle to take a selfie.

Edit: Found and killed my first bear! I did this right before I caught Gannon's horse and registered it at the stables. Pro: giant loving horse. Renamed it 'Satan'. Cons: cannot equip it with Monster bridle and saddle, cannot have it's hair braided. :mad:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

You totally can do this. That's what the square button on the left joycon is for.

Hmm ok you can post it to FB or Twitter, that's a good compromise I guess. I was hoping that one could directly share the in-game camera selfies, but sharing a screen shot then downloading and cropping it works.

edit: oh ok, you can copy it to an SD card as well.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Korok things where it produces a ring of glowing spheres at a long distance away with a timer clicking down always produces the same reaction from me: "gently caress that".

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FINALLY got that goddamned shield from the Castle. If it breaks, will the guy in Terry Town have one for sale again?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bueno!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also, I just tried to do some horn harvesting from Ferosh's spawning grounds and suddenly he wasn't appearing. I successfully had done this many times before but for some reason he simply wasn't appearing. The only thing I can think of is that I put the traveller's medallion down nearby. Has anybody else run into this?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok I think it's because I placed the travel medallion next to Farosh's lake instead of in the cave. Seems back to normal now.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

20 shrines left... LET'S DO THIS.

Edit: I didn't think of using the 'radar' to find shrines until last week :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Almost 200 hours in and I still marvel at those things when I happen to catch one flying in the distance. I still stop and pull out the camera so I can get a closer view.

Beasteh posted:

Came across that one shrine that needs a blood moon just as a blood moon was about to happen :smuggo:

Oh great, I'm about to take a 12 day trip and NOW I find out about this one?

Most recent Shrine I found: the one where you have to catch and ride a giant stag to activate the Shrine. There's so much fun stuff in this game!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Already at the Zora domain in 5 hours? I honestly don't understand people who want to rush through a game as quickly as possible. I don't think I got to the Zora city until the 20th or so hour of playing. There is way, way too much to explore in this game to just run by it, I think it's doing one's self a complete disservice.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ventana posted:

Personally, I tried to rush through the story first and then did the exploring later. Still ended up exploring a poo poo load and enjoyed it, just did it afterwards

Everyone has their ways. This game is definitely about the journey being the reward for sure. I meander in games and by the time I hit the ending I'm always leveled up to ludicrous extremes anyway haha

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just realized that I never did find that goddamned recipe book in the castle.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I want a bigger botw, like way bigger. I want to explore for literally years, buying switch after switch as I wear them out exploring Mega Hyrule.

I want a super DLC that involves something like a massive earthquake happening in Hyrule that creates landslides that make bridges in various north and west lands (Hebra, Gerudo and Akkala) to those huge cliffs seen in the distance, to new lands never seen by the people of Hyrule. New cultures, creatures, and possibly races as well.

Which makes me wonder what the Rito are hiding about those lands since they are the only ones who are able to visit them.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Suspicious Dish posted:

remember when the gamexplain guys didn't understand the concept of a plateau and thought that the landmass would raise/lower on demand

lol no. Who?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Just did the love letter quest in the zora town

would've been way less creepy if the person responding to the zora girl's letters was like one of those stable kids that give directions, instead of a grownass man

:yikes:

Oh god I did that just before I left on my trip and it was honestly the first time I was truly "What the living gently caress, Nintendo" at this game. It really wasn't cool.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This owns when it happens because their sickle attracts lightning. If you just unequip all your metal stuff and avoid them for a couple seconds, lightning strikes and takes them out.

Sure you probably could have killed them in that time, but it wouldn't have been nearly as hilarious.

I had it happen with one of the big Yiga clan dudes holding a then new to me lava/heat version of the wind blade and boy howdy was it amusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dictator. posted:

The last one I missed was the gorons on the heated platform in gerudo mountains. Heros path would've helped.

I stumbled upon that one by complete accident when I went chasing after a shooting star piece.