Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They probably had an intern come up with that timeline and they really don't give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Febreeze posted:

Let's be real, they came up with the timeline as a marketing strategy for Skyward Sword, because then they could market SS as "the first one". Then they threw together the rest of the timeline which ultimately didn't matter because it didn't affect SS's place.

Agreed 100%. Would use the 100 emoticon if I could. (... Can I?)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Surprised this wasn't posted here:
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/17/legend-zelda-fans-recreate-links-awakening-using-ocarina-times-engine/

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

For being a fan remake I was completely blown away by it and it felt like a first party title. Super Metroid sure had it's share of difficulty fluctuation.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Absolutely incredible

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pentyne posted:

I wonder how many hours I'll spend in the game just roaming and farming for consumables before even bothering with the next shrine or dungeon. New powerful runes? gently caress that I found a forest glade where I can gather 20+ rare mushrooms and herbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJXpZLLebLg

Side by side comparison looks like the Switch is clearly an upgrade from the WiiU. The WiiU looks like the draw distance is less and and textures are at least 1-2 steps down if comparing to the standard "med-high-ultra" for PC settings. Same frame-rates allegedly so hopefully no crazy slowdown.

You're also comparing an older build to a newer one, so I think it's very possible this video isn't accurate.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I'm expecting if you go to the end game immediately you will get your poo poo wrecked pretty hard.

I can't remember, in ALttP could you go right to Ganon once you got in the Dark World but you couldn't beat him?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

In terms of exploration my basic plan at the start is to stick to the rivers and lakes that I'm used to.

I think you're moving too fast.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

This is the natural consequence of people wanting Nintendo to adopt more modern practices.

You reap what you sow

Extra content seems like a pretty good consequence.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The real problem is this blanket use / criticism of "DLC", like it's a new fad.

DLC comes in all shapes and sizes, some good, some bad.

DLC that is clearly content that should have been part of the release or that is a clear cash grab: bad
DLC that is worked on after the game is delivered as expected, and expands gameplay: good
DLC that adds Run the Jewels to your game: confusing... but good?

Which one is Zelda? Hopefully more of the latter, hard to tell with zero details. I would be more upset that Nintendo dumped all this time into an amazing physics engine and environment and then abandoned it after the main quest.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would pay $20 DLC to ban everyone still talking about DLC in this thread.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well... where?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

well why not posted:

Yeah, when you're a kid and experiencing this 'cutting edge' stuff, you are totally blind to these faults. OOT3D is a great revamp, but it's still definitely an old game. I didn't remember how blocky and blurry everything looked until I looked them up. In my mind it still looks crisp and clear, with bright colours. Honestly, OOT3D is close to how I remember it looking as a kid.

Also, a few years back I played an emulated version with a 'toon' style texture swap. It also updated UI graphics and a few other aesthetic things. I'd actually recommend checking it out to anyone with an interest. It wasn't full-on Windwaker cell-shading, but rather leant into the simplicity of the models. Paired with an HD output, it's quite neat :

This was years ago, however, so things may be a bit different due to mod creator drama or the sands of time wearing it down.

That's Djipi's mod and it's pretty great. There was of course drama and I'm not sure where it's hosted now. The real shame is that someone was working on making the pre rendered backgrounds to match and in HD and then their hard drive crashed and they didn't want to start back up from scratch.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

IGN has a neat youtube video showing trying to run straight to Hyrule Castle. Mild spoilers and I wouldn't watch if you are trying to be pure.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm going to go back into my sleep chamber because my Link has crippling anxiety.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Really curious about how exactly that tested things. Also they need to release it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh my god there's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrFqFQobdN8

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The neogaf spoilers thread has end game boss gifs, and I'm reeeeaallly digging the design.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Shoehead posted:

From what I've seen so far:
Yeah and it seems like you can find it at different times?

I was under the impression you can go right to it but die trying to use it.

Also there's a youtube of all the boss battles including the final boss and ending.

And yes I've watched it. I feel whole. I feel like I'm operating on another spiritual level.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

sigher posted:

So with the recent Nintendo Leaks assets from the old SpaceWorld builds of Ocarina of Time have been found. No clue where this is heading but maybe there's enough to play old versions of OoT.

This thread is trying to organize a lot of it:
https://twitter.com/aeroartwork/status/1287513317540605952?s=21

Seems like all of the beta stuff has been found, some stuff when the game was about Gabon’s castle being a hub as well.

Most interesting to me is sprites from a canceled BS Links Adventure.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I thought they did find the rooms too. I know they found all the maps from the very first screens ever revealed (woods, town, cave), the weird castle Interiors, and beta lost woods, and all the models ever shown.

It’s really crazy to see what they started with, in regards to how basic and bad it looks. I respect the hell out of their process to prototype and refine.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

beat zelda 1, drat those last few dungeons were tough. starting zelda 2 now, how long does it take normally?

I'm approaching 30 years so strap in.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

BotW2 should do something where turns out BotW1 is the dark world and they find a way to transport to the light world that is much more vibrant and full of life but so has our piggy friend.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Cut down a log and use it as a bridge is part of the initial design concept for the whole game right? I remember that being what they did in their 2.5d proof of concept.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Something that Super Metroid does in a more open setting could be incredible — granted I think that game is perfection. But I need to see really interesting things in the background that are just out of reach, for now, as well as dive below the surface and feel real tightness and claustrophobia before stumbling into a breathtaking cave, or hell itself.

Never had a chance to play the Prime games, a little bit of a regret there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Or OoT with a Mario Maker ish world / temple creator that people can share new stuff or remake classic stuff.

Only reason to do it within OoT would be maybe a reduced fidelity would allow for bigger maps and prop options.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Electromax posted:

In the fall I spent an afternoon looking through the 3DS games and Wind Waker in noclip. Here are galleries of "postcards" I saved as backgrounds for fun:

https://imgur.com/gallery/w9NKKuI - Ocarina
https://imgur.com/gallery/RuMMzMy - Majora
https://imgur.com/gallery/A5RoypY - Wind Waker

Twilight Princess still rendered oddly in noclip and didn't look very much like it does in-game yet (lighting etc.) but maybe that's changed now.

I don't really know why but the pre-rendered shots of the Temple of Time are one of my favorite assets from any game ever. Which is weird because it's so bland. Maybe when I first saw it I just thought it was so realistic and it left this really weird impression on me.

Seeing the 3ds version recreate the pre-rendered shots with their models fits the game so much better but also breaks my heart a bit.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I like to hope BotW was really just the minimum they could get away with to be faithful to the open world concept they wanted and released at a time that pleased the business. BotW2 should be a better tell on their full philosophy for Zelda games of this generation.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

They were all fantastic games, so why would this be the best-selling one ever in such a short period of time if people didn't like it more than the others?

This is so silly that I’m starting to think maybe you’re asking the question earnestly.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Watching how Capcom has navigated the Street Fighter series since Street Fighter 3 is a great little case study on sales vs. quality.

And I'm sure the Star Wars sequel trilogy has made mountains of money more than the other trilogies.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

On a whim I started playing Zelda 2 today, welp just like that I lost 4 hours. Why is that dumb game so drat charming?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

b_d posted:

it's not. perhaps someone put a zelda 2 sticker on a better game and you got tricked.

Nah.

It’s the music. I think you play it just to hear those awesome tunes and the game just happens in the background.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’ll admit I don’t think I ever beat it without save states.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I came across this, as a game it would play awful but really cool art project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgIJ36r75Qk

The Dave fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 3, 2021

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Cattail Prophet posted:

Lol that the title is apparently still too spoilery to reveal though

I bet it has twilight in it, that's my big brain bet. Not sure what else it could be, BotW2: GANON CAN FLY MOTHERFUCKERS

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

drat y'all are cranky today. I think it looks pretty impressive for one person recreating the game (from scratch?). This guy has posted a lot of stuff in the past but going paywall seems like an odd way to get it killed fast.

The only thing that gets me is the camera seems really janky. That's also not a trailer it's a tech demo of the lighting so yeah it's boring.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the fan demo is a few camera and lighting settings away from being really really good. The shaky cam and motion blue sucks. The lighting seems a little too “we used every new thing at once” but has huge potential.

I’d also love to see the fixed camera views from the pre rendered bgs, might add some artistic integrity to it.

Scaling up the 3DS game to 4k or 8k requires a bit of non existent magic to look good.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

wont be long tbh, look at the ff7 mod that replaces the fmv models using, from what i can tell, space time magic.

…..link? I just don’t understand how that’s possible unless they remade the fmvs themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ahhh I was totally forgetting the game did that thing with blending in game and fmv, and had those moments you could move but there was a fmv background.