Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Aren't those usually released at the same time (or after) the game comes out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I don't understand how I am supposed to enjoy this DLC 3 months after release, I will have already beaten the game and thrown it in the trash by that point. Really missing the ball by not having this available at launch, like most people want. Good job Nintendo.

Are you really arguing in favor of launch day DLC?

EDIT: Or have I missed the joke you're making?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
EDIT: Nervermind. I don't want to add fuel to the Overwatch complaining in the Zelda thread

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I'm finally giving Ocarina of Time a shot. I had it on N64 when it launched but I never bothered playing it for some reason. I'm just now bothering with the 3DS version.

Oh uh this is good.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Cojawfee posted:

I don't understand how you could have it on N64 when it came out but never play it. It was the best game.

I remember a distinct hatred of the N64's controller, the game's control scheme, and there wasn't much of an internet back then to tell me how wrong I was.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I think a lot of people like doing that but usually use the internet instead of a book

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

well why not posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojsc6dg1sjE

here's gameplay from Polygon. He dies a bit, but doesn't seem to be actively lovely, just new at the game and loving around. Contains horse violence.

I know everyone says Polygon sucks at games but I liked this video quite a bit because he's actually talking about the game's features and how specific things work. Most of the other videos out there are just the creator talking about how wonderful everything is and how happy everyone will be once the game comes out.

EDIT: Holy poo poo you can surf with your shield

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 24, 2017

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Meanwhile I'm holding my breath on the Best Buy Pro Controller order from today.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

CuddlyZombie posted:

Do the smash bros zelda amiibos do anything?

I hope so! I don't want to own two Toon Links

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Hedrigall posted:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-hands-on-preview-eye-opener-6470487/

"One fight with a giant in a forest saw a tree get knocked down with an errant bomb blast, at which point the monster decided to pick up the fallen trunk and start using it as a cudgel."

"if you have an Octo Balloon (from killing an Octorock) you can tie a bomb to it and have it float towards higher up enemies – and use a Korok Leaf to waft it on its way."

Stuff like this makes me believe delaying the game to continue work on the physics engine was the right move. How awesome :)

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I don't know if this was posted yet but good luck trying to not smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtNvDfjEbQw

EDIT: I don't know if this video contains what some might call spoilers, so be cautious. It's basically a mix of Link's sweet shield riding skills

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Why??????????????

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I just want to know if dead enemies respawn somehow. For instance, they would come back to life if you left an area in Ocarina and then returned to it.

I don't want to run out of adorable Bokoblin camps to interrupt.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Shoehead posted:

Is that capture or did I miss there being a WiiU emulator??

You missed there being a WiiU emulator.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Kashuno posted:

Regarding respawns:
Spoilery things

Ah, cool. Thank you.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Literally Kermit posted:

Or a 104, depending on your point of view.

Figuring out how to get into the 4 main dungeons seems like a pretty big challenge in itself.

If that's true, strategy guides will basically destroy this. You have saved me from spending money to ruin my enjoyment. Thanks. :)

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Aren't the people playing it right now using some pirated WIi U bullshit?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

funkymonks posted:

Hopefully there are enough impressions posted by Friday afternoon for me to decide if I'm going to open my WiiU copy or my Switch copy. WiiU version will have to be pretty dire to not just play that.

But if it's Friday afternoon why not just play the Switch version?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I feel like I'm going to forget that taking Zelda with me is even an option.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
All the reviewers are saying cliche things like "every bit of terrain you can see you can climb/reach/etc" but no one is saying how the game's boundaries work.

So uh how do those boundaries work? What prevents me from falling off the edge of the world

EDIT: I realize this is pointless to ask but there are 13 hours between now and when i pick mine up and I'm getting squirrely

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm not putting a lot of weight in the frame rate complaints just because people are always big babies about frame rate.

Yeah, frame rate bullshit is something I'll do with my PC games but with this one I'm content on finding out for myself tomorrow morning.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Harrow posted:

I'd guess mountains so high that you can't climb them even with a maxed out stamina meter. Or maybe mountains on one side, ocean on the other.

Makes sense. That's what I started to guess, as well. I'll find out tomorrow morning!

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I think this might have been posted earlier as spectulation, but I can confirm an amiibo reward:
Original Smash Bros Link amiibo gives you Epona with max stats

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Breath of the Wild: Your Inventory Is Full

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Yo gently caress the blue flame.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Alright, maybe it just hasn't clicked for me yet

I felt the same way after about an hour when the initial "hell yeah new system new game" feeling wore off. I was kind of going through the motions a bit for a couple of hours after that and then the game clicked for me.

There's definitely an early game malaise that eventually goes away and gets replaced with all the "hell yeah goty" stuff I'm sure you're reading in everyone's posts.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Can't you do them in whatever order? Which one did you do first

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Amber is ok to sell right? It seems pretty easy to get. Im gonna guess there is crafting with these ores at some point but where I dont know.

i would also like to know this. Actually, is there a list of the different materials and what they are best used for? I was selling ancient screws before unlocking something to do with them.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Also, do the enemy camps move? As in, do the enemies pack up and migrate? I've started to notice evidence of a prior camp with zero enemies. It could just be scenery but a few of them seem to have nearby sabotage opportunities. I found a deserted camp next to a tower with a boulder resting on top, an obvious opportunity for the player to sneak up the tower and push the boulder onto the enemies below.

I know we've all seen that NPCs don't despawn and generally everyone goes about their business, but if enemy platoons are migrating through the world... holy poo poo...

EDIT: And just to add, there have been blood moons since I've been in the area, so it's not as simple as I killed them and forgot.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

checksin posted:

people ask this constantly and nobody answers and it's driving me mad
thread, please just tell my dumb rear end what to do with my shiny rocks

What's worse is a few pages back someone said that someone actually posted the info a bunch of paged prior and they couldn't find it. It may or may not be buried in the thread somewhere.

It's like a splinter in my mind :(

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

is it actually *worth* fighting Lynels in advance? what do you get

Don't they have bows that fire three arrows at a time? I could be mistaken.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah I wish I had at least a basic sword I could upgrade that didn't break, too many enemies break my poo poo.

There are some. The Zora trident you get as a reward can be fixed.

EDIT: I just noticed you said upgrade. Nevermind.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I saw someone posted this earlier, but a lucrative money maker early on is a potion made with
1 firefly + 4 bokoblin fangs.

Sells for 100 rupees.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

ComposerGuy posted:

Nintendo should have just gone "yeah everything is in the same timeline but these are *legends* passed down in Hyrule over eons so poo poo inevitably changes when you're playing a massive game of telephone". Done.

To add to this, maybe each unconventional one might be a particular culture's version.

Wind Waker might be the Zora one.
Skyward Sword might be the Rito one.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Your Computer posted:

I just used an amiibo and it started raining fish from the sky :stare:

Then I looked up what the different amiibo effects are and now I'm super mad that there are amazing armor sets that I'll never get :qq: I need that classic Link set in my life...

What armor is that?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Your Computer posted:

The different outfits Link has worn in previous games. You get them from their respective amiibos.

I grew up with the early Zelda games and my first Zelda game that I bought with my own money was Link's Awakening, so no matter how goofy this will always be my favorite Link:

How do you unlock that one?!

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Your Computer posted:

The 30th anniversary 8-bit original Zelda amiibo. Aka. good loving luck :negative:

This one? http://www.target.com/p/nintendo-8-bit-link-the-legend-of-zelda-amiibo-figure/-/A-49157980

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Yeah honestly Nintendo would hate it if you bought their game twice

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Harrow posted:

I really think it comes down to a couple of things (that I'll compare to other open world games that are both very, very good in their own right):

1. They made traversal part of the game in a way most open world games don't. In The Witcher 3, your choices are run or ride Roach. In Horizon, your choices are run or override a machine to ride, and sometimes you can climb specific cliffs. In Zelda, you can run, ride a horse, get up high and glide, climb every mountain or hill in your way or go around them, make yourself an updraft to glide up and get a head start on climbing, swim up a waterfall...

2. The world at once feels big and spacious and packed with life. In The Witcher 3, if you wander around, what you're going to find are monster nests with a couple of out-of-the-way side quests. In Horizon, same deal--you're going to find some machines to fight, maybe a big one, and possibly a bandit camp or one of the handful of collectibles. You're never going to go far in either game without stumbling into one of those things. In Horizon, you'll even see most places that are actual destinations pre-marked on your map, including cauldrons, even when you haven't climbed a tallneck to reveal that region's map. In Zelda, you're going to find korok puzzles, weird NPCs who want to chat, shrine puzzles, and shrines, and those are just the things that a) aren't enemies, and b) aren't marked on your map at all, even when you reveal the region by climbing a tower.

What that did is it made a huge open world that takes a while to get around (when you aren't fast traveling) into something that you enjoy taking that time to traverse. I won't say I don't feel the need to use fast travel--game's fuckin' huge and sometimes I don't want to spend an hour traveling to get back to Impa and finish a quest--but there's never a time when I'm going somewhere new and wondering, "Am I there yet?"

To add to the point about the map not being filled in for you, I'm mind hosed thinking about the strong possibility that there's stuff in this that no one has found.

Yeah, I know there are official guides but gently caress those guides. If there was ever a game to say "you know... we're not going to publish one for this game" this would've been it.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh poo poo. I just save-scummed so that I could get the hero's tunic from my 8-bit link... I can use this to complete the set without waiting.

What have you done to me?

Also this is the first game to make me buy an amiibo. Good job Nintendo.

Amiibo are neat and you should feel good about having one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
The Guardian looks sweet but won't fit in an amiibo collection.