Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I like how you don't have to go through the lengthy chest opening animation that's been in place since Ocarina. I don't like how they still seem to be filling chests with arrows and junk. I'm not sure how I feel about the distinct lack of rupees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

havenwaters posted:

Cool my Wii U copy is coming Tuesday. Thanks Amazon.

Same thing here, what kind of bitch move is Amazon pulling? I guess I'll be slumming it tomorrow by visiting a brick and mortar.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

SumTingWong posted:

poo poo, I'm actually glad they ended up cutting the Wii U's drat screen/controller thing out. gently caress that thing, it's uncomfortable, and distracting. Games like good ol' StarFox were ruined because of it imo. Just let me turn on some Zelda, sit back with a normal fuckin' controller and play. Hell ya.

They used the tablet screen in Wind Waker HD and while I didn't hate it, I didn't feel like it provided much benefit.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

havenwaters posted:

Yeah my Wii U is running at 0fps until Tuesday so :shrug:

edit: doesn't stop me from going and seeing people's impressions/going through the spoiler topics on other forums.

I guess several people posted that their "Amazon Prime Guaranteed Release Day Delivery" was scheduled for Tuesday. I was just thinking of cancelling my order since I'm in the same boat but I decided to see what happens if I set the shipping to 1 day. Before it was saying that 2 day prime shipping would take 4 days but now with 1 day shipping it's same day delivery. I don't know if their shipping page is full of poo poo or not but I'm paying an extra $4 for shipping and the price is still cheaper than anywhere else. I'm also expecting that I'll be able to complain and get a refund at a later date.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
This game is pretty good. I didn't try it but it looks like you can cook fairies!

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

King Bahamut posted:

So the breakeven is 2M and this is the most expensive Nintendo game of all time? That doesn't quite read given how long this took unless Nintendo has a completely different staffing model*, but it explains how they can survive making hardware basically only for their first party games.

*I think they do, for what it's worth. Relatively low pay, job security, not constantly spinning teams up and down to hit an annual release cycle etc

The 2 million number is obviously just a made up number. If you look at sales history you can see that they can reasonably expect 5-10 million. http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

snograt posted:

Yahtzee likes it. I think. It's getting ever harder to tell with him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbPPXGFvdw0

He makes an interesting point about the characterization. Link has always been the silent protagonist type with is pretty terrible overall for characterization but the expectation in this type of story is that all of the side characters will pick up the slack. I haven't seen all of the memories yet and I haven't fought the desert divine beast but I think I agree so far in terms of character development. -Mild story spoilers- Like, we learn that bird people are arrogant dicks but the only development is a halfhearted remark that link is pretty cool too. They set up a thing with that young Goron being kinda wimpy but then they kinda gloss over his character development into being brave. Sidon is pretty flat and they could have made him realize that he has the same feelings for Link that Mipha had.

Overall, I think the characterization is present but there isn't much character development. After doing the Rito divine beast, I realized that they could have done much more with the build up to the encounter by making a longer quest line. This would have been an ideal place to include the missing character development.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I bought some NFC tags based on some earlier suggestions in this thread and it turns out that it's extremely easy to make your own Amiibo.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bum the Sad posted:

Where's the guide for this?

The guide I found on reddit was wrong and out of date so here's an updated guide. Hopefully someone bookmarks this because the information is scattered

There are 3 requirements for making amiibos that you can use on your Switch/Wii U/3DS:
  • Android phone with NFC writing capability.
  • Ntag215 tags - these are little stickers or cards that have a specific type of nfc chip in them that you can buy for really cheap.
  • The TagMo app for Android and .bin files of the Amiibo you want to put on your tag. You'll have to find the Amiibo files on your own.
Okay, so you got your tags and phone with NFC writing, now what?
  • On your Android device go to Settings > Security > Unknown Sources (turn on). This makes it so that you can install apps that aren't on the Google Play store.
  • Install the TagMo.apk file on your Android device. The fixed version was a bitch to find: https://github.com/possi/TagMo/releases
  • Amiibo Key files - unfixed-info.bin and locked-secret.bin Edit: Sorry, I deleted these links because I'm pretty sure they're :filez:
  • Place unfixed-info.bin, locked-secret.bin, and Amiibo dump files on your Android device.
  • Launch TagMo app, touch the 3 dots in the upper right corner > Load key(s) file… and select the unfixed-info.bin and locked-secret.bin files. You probably will need to download OI File Manager from the play store to find the files.
  • Touch the LOAD TAG button and select your Amiibo .bin dump file.
  • Touch the WRITE TAG (AUTO) button and press your NTAG215 NFC tag to your Android device.
Notes
  • The tags won't be re-writable and if you mess up the tag is dead so experiment with one first.
  • I became too excited when I got this working and ended up making some useless ones and confused smash link with OoT link so make sure you know which ones you want to make before you start: http://imgur.com/a/QWNvr#cvA9R8j

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 30, 2017

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

I cannot see how people are able to go back to 3D Zeldas after this one. They're all gross and linear and empty and dull.

This, but with every game ever.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm also bothered by the 100 year old kawaii scientist in a child's body. This game has all kinds of creepy sexual fetishes though if you also take into account the giant fairies.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Super No Vacancy posted:

y'know it would be real weird for LA to have dlc but also it's weird for like. a big game not to have dlc nowadays

I think about this the same way I think about remakes in general. Nintendo accountants determine how much money can be made from Zelda properties and allocate X amount of funds to make Zelda games. They can spend that money to make DLC, remakes, or new games and I would prefer new games. For example, they could spend $100k to make DLC for Link's Awakening or they could add that money to the BoTW budget giving them the resources to make another dungeon.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

MokBa posted:

the zelda timeline goes by release date and anything more complex than that is a trick by Nintendo to fool children into caring about bullshit

I think the children tricked Nintendo into caring about bullshit.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Steve2911 posted:

I wonder why they never used the Windfish in any other games. It's such a cool design and concept and most Zelda characters/ideas at least get nods in other games. He'd have fit into Wind Waker really well (say at a certain point in the game you're hit by a huge storm and wake up in a dungeon borne of the Fish's dreams).

I just finished it too and I realized that they used the Windfish in DQ XI. I guess we can now talk about how these two games take place in the same universe and figure out how all the DQ games fit in the timeline

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Inferior Third Season posted:

The second quest of LoZ is for children in the 80s that only owned one NES cartridge other than the Mario/Duck Hunt one that came with the system.

It does not make sense and does not respect your time. This was perfect for the 80s kids, but we don't live in that world anymore. Unless you are so bored that bombing every rock, burning every bush, and checking every wall to see if it is fake and you can walk through it sounds like a good time, just skip it. If you use a guide, then it will go faster, but will basically just be a rehash of the first quest.

We were so hard core back in the day that game guides didn't even exist!

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Super No Vacancy posted:

zoomers dont even know what levels are

Back in my day we called them waves.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

I want to make a reaction video to this where I lose my poo poo and throw clay pots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm going to attach a fan to my shield to make a hoverboard