Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty late to the party on BotW, but almost kinda glad I did. There's some things that are just wild to see for the first time, like the dragons, and the whale skeletons. And of course there's a bit where you can potentially see both a dragon and a whale skeleton both at once.

I just started playing this a few days ago after borrowing it from my friend, and it took me a couple hours to get used to the way the game works* but I'm starting to understand why it has the reputation it does. They did a very good job of ensuring that you're constantly running into stuff to do, and even the weapon durability thing is starting to grow on me since I'm constantly using different weapons because of it. I'm currently going through a phase where I have a bunch of fancy boomerangs for some reason, so I've been using them.

The day before yesterday I did this shrine surrounded by flowers, and I feel bad for anyone who wasn't an idiot like me and stepped on the flowers repeatedly until the lady nearby freaked out and left me with 1/4 of a heart. There's a lot of funny NPC stuff in general, and the game is good at ensuring that you're constantly running into NPCs throughout the world. The world generally feels well-designed; like the instant I start thinking "it'd be nice if there was a stable around here" I'll suddenly run into one.

* One thing that gave me a lot of trouble and still gives me some trouble is how pressing down on the left analog stick makes you crouch. I've eaten poo poo a bunch of times due to mistakenly putting pressure on it while fighting an enemy, causing me to crouch and be unable to dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm increasingly coming to understand why BotW has the reputation it does. Game has a very strong "will be remembered as a classic" feel to it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

I hope to god they don't do that The oracle games are peak GBC graphics and are beautiful, the Awakening remake looks like claymation trash in comparison

I don't remember many specifics about the Oracle games, but I remember that I liked them a whole lot (probably more than any other Zelda I've played except maybe BotW) and got both of them and did all the stuff with the codes or whatever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WarpDogs posted:

lol I'm actually surprised they haven't done something like this before. I guess it's commendable they've resisted doing something that would probably feel pretty hacky, but it also feels like such an obvious thing given all the time traveling and portal jumping we've accepted over the years

one of the coolest moments of my entire gamer career was going under the sea in WW. that wasn't actually OoT's castle, but it felt like it could be, and the idea of using in-world magic to travel back to the world of a previous game to get something important was so god drat epic and I've been chasing that feeling ever since

I got this feeling when I downloaded the ROM for Pokemon Gold/Silver as a kid (before it was released in the states). Thought it was the coolest thing ever how you go back to the original game's towns.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's a shame that Tears of the Kingdom being for Switch only means we won't be able to play it with a bunch of graphical mods in CEMU. BotW in CEMU with 4k/60fps and various graphical mods is one of the best looking games I've ever seen. Really makes me wish there was some official way to play the game with higher resolution/performance, because it massively benefits from it.

Yuzu will probably at least be able to do the resolution upscaling (since that worked for Switch BotW), but 60fps apparently isn't possible with the Switch BotW (since game speed is tied to framerate IIRC) and probably won't be with Tears of the Kingdom either.

LividLiquid posted:

I spent that entire game frustrated and I'm sick to death of the Dark Soulsification of bosses in games. I don't want to always bounce off something twenty times before I beat it. If you've trailed me in all the techniques I have at my disposal properly, I should be able to kick something's rear end after some difficulty on the first try. I should be rewarded for paying attention. But no. I'm supposed to train by losing a lot. It's not fun for me.

I generally agree with this. It isn't really matter of "getting good" so much as "memorizing patterns (and sometimes also having a fast reaction time to do the correct things in response)."

There are other ways to make something difficult! You don't need to resort to "very punishing fights where you need to learn an enemy's patterns to succeed." "Git gud" in that situation is basically the rote memorization of gameplay.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

glassyalabolas posted:

In anticipation of tomorrow, I hope we get a bone chilling trailer like this masterpiece.

https://youtu.be/zw47_q9wbBE

The interesting thing about that trailer is that it's actually a pretty accurate depoction of the game (minus the music). Usually trailers have to make games seem "grander" than they actually are.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Neat. Apparently Link will get some sort of weird airship/car thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shiroc posted:

Taking a few seconds to show Link using a magnesis like power to lift stuff out of water is a something.

People were clamoring to know whether magnesis would be in Tears of the Kingdom. If they didn't show that, fans would be rioting.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ This was my impression as well. It'd be neat if you could customize it to go faster/higher/whatever

Augus posted:

i'm convinced she's gonna get sucked into link's arm

By mistake. The goal of the game is to undo Link's huge gently caress-up

broken pixel posted:

The icon on the pin box(?) in the collector's edition set matches the icon on the leaked OLED Switch joy-cons... Can I afford a whole new Switch by May?

I'm thinking I might use my tax return on this, since I did the homebrew thing on my other Switch (one of the oldest ones) and it'd be nice to have one that I can freely connect to the internet on (plus it'd be nice to have an OLED screen on the handheld).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

External Organs posted:

My theory: weapon durability and that system remains the same, but you are constantly collecting weird vehicle parts that you can use in various ways. It's the Legend of Zelda: Kerbal Space Link

Since countless millennia have proved that the Master Sword isn't up for the job, Link decided to take things into his own hands

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Frankston posted:

Methinks there's a new big bad on the scene (maybe Hestu) and Link and Zelda specifically try to resurrect Ganondorf to help combat it.

"Lend him your power" - Zelda to Ganondorf referring to his triforce of power.

This is spoken to Link as part of Zelda's heel-turn, revealing that she has been an acolyte of Ganondorf all this time and the events of Breath of the Wild were actually meant to free him from the control of Malice.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

You will have to buy the separate Princess Zelda: Treasure Tracker game.

Like with FF8, there will be a small electronic add-on you can play a minigame on to earn items

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mahoning posted:

My launch day Switch is also older than both my sons. And it has seen better days. The 5yo has put some wear and tear on it, including getting puke into the fan grates which fried the fan and I had to replace it last summer. So I’m ready to officially pass it on to the kiddo and get the Zelda OLED Switch for myself.

Instead you should get the OLED Switch but keep both of them for yourself. Just sit the second Switch next to the first one while you play, and if your kid asks if they can play, say "No, I'm using it, it's my back-up Switch."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The timeline convergence in BotW was caused by the events of FF7R

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

w hat do you mean "incapable of true flight", you are DESCRIBING ACTUAL FLIGHT. THIS IS HOW ACTUAL HAWKS FLY.

No birds are capable of true flight. They all rely on the crutch of air.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't like interacting with Beedle because he keeps demanding that I give him my Bladed Rhino Beetles in exchange for lovely level 1 attack elixirs/food and I feel bad saying no.

edit: He gave me an ancient arrow though so I guess this is fair

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

evilmiera posted:

Wait, Hyrule and it's surroundings aren't the entire world right? Whatever group could just leave and that would be the easiest explanation as to why they aren't there.

Hyrule is the Promised Land Shinra is seeking in Final Fantasy 7.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hyrule is like the island where everyone lives in Claymore. Ganon is an AI mean to, over time, lead to the evolution of The Most Powerful Warrior (Beedle)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

External Organs posted:

I'm into this. They absolutely nailed that musical cue through the roof.

I think that the main thing setting BotW apart from other open world stuff is its art/sound direction. People say things like "I'm excited to find what's over the next hill" which is a kind of strange opinion given there aren't a lot of things to find in BotW, but the general "vibe" of the game (created through the art/sound direction) is good enough that exploring is still more enjoyable than in other open world games.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Supremezero posted:

Still more stuff over the next hill than any other open world game except maybe Elden Ring.

I mean, it's mostly just shrines, koroks, and bokoblin/lizalfos camps. It's just that "collectathon in open world game" feels much better when the world looks/sounds good.

The durability mechanic also incentives it - you need a steady drip of gear, so exploring isn't entirely optional.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tsob posted:

The world map is filled with oddities like that, things you can spot from a decent vantage point and go "wait...what IS that?" and then head towards.

What exactly do you have in mind here? I'll see interesting looking environments, but I more or less know what's going to be there. Towers, shrines, and one of the few towns/stables are the only things that really stand out when looking at a particular vista. I think that one island (where you lose your gear) might be the only time I've been rewarded with something truly unexpected upon traveling somewhere.

I feel it'd be better if they had more NPCs or "events" that you could come across. Like how there's already a bunch of travelers on roads, but give some of them quests, or place people in other locations.

Either way, this isn't really meant as a criticism. Doing simple things in BotW is still fun just because the game has extremely good vibes (and coming across stuff like weapons or rare animals is always rewarding due to the durability/cooking systems).

Edit: I think the #1 thing I'd like in a BotW sequel is to have more excuses to visit different parts of the world. I have a feeling that I'll have a hard time motivating myself to keep exploring once I've done all the divine beasts and visited each large area. Currently I'll set one as an objective and use it as an excuse to explore the surrounding area. Plus I really like the characters/dungeons in the game and it's a bummer knowing that I'm limited to just a handful.

It's fine (and even better) to keep the objectives open-ended and non-linear. But I liked having some broader objective to accomplish in a particular zone. So stuff like "Accomplish X in this broad area." I know some people don't need that and still enjoy scouring the world for Koroks even without any narrative content, but it's tough for me to stay engaged that easily.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 18, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MokBa posted:

I'm not a mod so I don't have this power but I'd personally prefer if art book leaks weren't even discussed behind spoiler tags. Mostly because it's the only "news" out there and the discussion could end up dominating the thread. Go ahead if you want to talk about just please be careful with your tags and everyone else be careful not to click on them!

Same, I feel like it's a bit much to discuss spoiler stuff literal months before the game's release.

tsob posted:

The answer isn't either "shrine" or "Korok" because the question was not "what's my digital or gameplay reward for doing this?" but "what is that thing?". The answer is in the world building and lore that exploring it reveals, and the in game reward is just a bonus for the most part; not the actual incentive. I find that kind of a weird argument though honestly, because if you reduce things that far then almost no game has much variety in incentive since almost every game rewards the player with the same handful of things to incentivize further gameplay; be it costumes, XP, coins or whatever. I'm fine with the game not having much variety personally because the things it does it does well and doing a few things well is preferable to doing a lot of things but most of them being mediocre because the developers spread themselves so thin. Which is what almost always happens when a game tries to have a lot of different gameplay options.

I haven't been able to pick up on much "lore" in areas, though. I get that there's the Zonai stuff, but that's almost entirely (if not literally entirely) just shared iconography without any actual known history or events to link it to (at least within BotW itself, even though it'll obviously have relevance in the sequel). There's not really enough "environmental storytelling" (much less "direct storytelling") to get much out of it. And places like that are also a very tiny minority of places within the world - most is just varying types of wilderness (which is cool and all, since the general map/layout is very well designed, but not quite the same).

Despite enjoying BotW much more than Elden Ring (mostly for vibes reasons - Elden Ring's setting is a bit too oppressive/depressing for me), Elden Ring definitely has more in the way of "areas with lore to discover about them" (even if that lore isn't always that great).

I like the shrines, though. I'd rather find shrines than find loot. The comparison someone did to science museum exhibits was very apt - I'm always looking forward to messing around with whatever the puzzle is.

Amppelix posted:

this is another reason why emulator is so good for this game because you can easily just save edit to give yourself the items you want instead of going through the ridiculous amiibo grind

I have a hard time resisting the temptation once I've given myself that option, so I try to avoid it.

So I just use the Amiibo files with the emulator, but don't let myself use the save editors.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Khanstant posted:

I felt so sad as a kid after finishing the dungeon inside the great deku tree, I know I didn't kill him, but still I think it might've been the first time I like empathized with a character only to watch them die shortly after helping then. Then there's a melancholy scene when leaving the forest first time, and you say a goodbye to Saria.

To that tree, I said "Good riddance !" :colbert:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Link, thank Farore you're here! The Divine Beast is mildly annoying our tiny village! It's been doing so for a hundred years, to very little consequence. You're our only hope!

I like the Rito village one where they're just like "I dunno it's kind of sus and has bad vibes"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

I wonder if there will be a Great Plateau equivalent or if they'll just toss you back out there.

It just spawns you in a completely random location.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mahoning posted:

The palace theme especially is a banger.

For some reason I recognize this despite never having played Zelda 2; was it used somewhere else?

sigher posted:

Tunic recently added a toggle to turn down the difficulty and god bless because the game is so much better without having to do the whole "git gud" bullshit games constantly do now because Dark Souls made it a thing.

The thing that annoys me about a lot of "git gud" stuff is that it usually doesn't even require any meaningful skill - it's just rote memorization + the focus/repetition to reliably apply the stuff you've memorized, like the Simon Says of action gaming. Only with far more damage so you need a much higher rate of accuracy than in a game like, say, Zelda.

I think this might be why a lot of people like it - it's something anyone can do if they just grind at it enough. But it's still a pretty mindless activity. As opposed to something like, say, fighting games, which require far more in the way of actually engaging with the opponent (and I disliking playing fighting games and suck at them, but I can at least understand the sort of skill they require). I feel like DMC-esque action games also have more to them, since it seems like they require more mastery over your own abilities (whereas Souls-like games primarily focus on memorizing the boss's behavior, which you can then punish pretty much however you want as long as it's an attack you can do while it's still safe).

vvvv Ahh, that explains it. It's a really good track.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 10, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BotW has some of the best general sound direction in any game I've ever played. It deliberately avoids really prominent themes (and it's hard to think if where any could have reasonably been inserted).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

you joke but botw already had dynamic music for "you are on a horse".

That's so good, though; it blends in such that many people probably never noticed it was even specifically riding music. I feel like more direct themes rarely work well for activities you'll spend a ton of time on.

I think they could reasonably insert more prominent themes during actual major story events, though. Like the theme in BotW that players during stuff like the Mipha flashbacks is more distinct and also really good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Have y'all thought at all about what kind of character you're going to make for Tears? I think I'm going to play as Hylian who wears a long t shirt

I'm probably going for a cat Link. Normally I'm not a big fan of cats as characters, but it just feels appropriate for Tears of the Kingdom

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

If Zelda and Link hook up to create ancestors we later play who also hook up to create ancestors, that's uh... no. That's probably not what's happening.

In future Zelda games, Link and Zelda both gradually acquire increasingly pronounced Hapsburg jaws

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just watched the presentation. That looks pretty amazing. It somehow managed to exceed what I was expecting with the vehicle building stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm curious if there will be a limit to how much stuff you can build, given BotW's memory limitation with the Blood Moon mechanic. Seems like that would throw a wrench in the idea of going "full minecraft" with the fusing stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I think people are overhyping a bit. There are going to be limitations.

Yeah, I'm doubting that it'll actually be possible to go "full minecraft"; the Switch has limitations that forced the use of the Blood Moon mechanic, so you probably can't build some super complex/large permanent structure. I won't be surprised if there's a strict limit to the number of things you can fuse together with the "vehicle-making" ability.

But the original BotW ended up exceeding expectations with regard to the amount of weird stuff you could do in it, so I think it'll probably come close to matching expectations that most other games would in the same circumstances. There's still a lot you can do even if you're limited to fusing 10 (or whatever) things together.

edit: The most disappointing thing to me is that it probably won't be possible to play the game with the same amazing visuals BotW can be played with using CEMU + mods. This is only for the Switch, and my PC definitely couldn't reach 4k/60fps (or even 2k/60fps IIRC) on the Switch version via Yuzu. Plus the various graphical mods (notably the color vibrancy ones - those made a big difference).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 28, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LionArcher posted:

I had the OLED Zelda addition in my cart for pick up. I held off. I basically never play in handheld,

This is usually the case for me, but this game might actually be an exception because I find 30fps far more tolerable on a handheld than on the big screen. On the big screen it's really painful, but it's not that bad on a smaller screen. The frames are just way more visible when rotating the camera on a bigger screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ It's a funny joke if you know the reference

Maybe the lore as told in BotW is wrong, and Calamity Ganon was actually caused by TotK Link loving around too much with his fusion abilities and experimenting with attaching "Ganondorf's desiccated corpse" to "some ancient source of Malice created by the Zonai or w/e"