Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

tofes posted:

This was a real hard pick for me. I have a list of about 10 centers and even though there's a winger I really want I don't know if any of the centers will make it back to me and I can't live with myself if I don't have a good second line center.

The Buffalo Sabers select Tyler Johnson

Was really hoping he'd fall to me again like last year, him and Hoffman were the two centers I seriously thought about over Nylander.

Ellis/Ekholm were the two defenders I thought about. Why are you guys being good at picking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Aye Doc posted:

can you really call your tyler johnson pick last season him "falling to you"

I can and will

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Those two are much more of a sure thing and also got taken too early imo. And I'm not talking about 30 year-olds

Puljujarvi might legit be better than Laine

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I wish I could find the drat thing but I saw a breakdown of the two over the four quarters of the year and Puljujarvi had a slow start but by the end I believe was out producing Laine. Laine had a great playoffs and his shot volume is absolutely bonkers though.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I want a goalie so I'm going to take the one with the 2nd best 5v5 save percentage amongst goalies who played 50 games last year in STEBESTEVE MASON. 2nd last year in that category behind only Lundqvist and 4th amongst goalies who played at least 40 games. He's also 2nd over the last three years in that category behind only Price factoring in goalies who've played 100 games.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

i am the bird posted:

I'm no scholar but I don't know who that is and I bet you could've gotten him with your very last pick.

No because if he didn't take him he'd have been Stebe's backup when the backups started going. Dude had a phenomenal year in limited minutes.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Give me Erik Johnson

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I was debating Stepan on both my last two picks.

Same, I'm not a big fan though and I really needed to start filling out my defense. There's one more forward not gone I almost took instead but defensemen are starting to become slim pickings

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Homer pick time, but also happens to fill a vicious need.

Olli Maatta come on down.
Poor Olli has had a rough couple of seasons with horrible shoulder injuries and cancer keeping his training time down. In spite of that he performed ably as a 21 year-old anchor on the Pens blueline. He had a rough couple of games in the playoffs, true. So bad that it got to the point that he was sat to rest and collect himself.

This doesn't concern me. He's signed long-term on a reasonable, Brodin-esque contract and I believe he will continue to improve as he gets time to heal and train properly.

Plus Jones, Parayko and Maatta is a fuckin' great D-corps.

Mentholmoose is up.

I considered him but man those injury problems, hope he works out better for you than me

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

VJeff posted:

This makes me pretty certain it was a great pick.

Other pick is C - Brandon Dubinsky

As Pekka Rinne's number one fan no it was bad

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Good to see all the players I heavily considered over Stastny being selected right after.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Also figured I should actually write my pick in here. The Predators selected Paul Stastny as a playmaking center with a big contract that's luckily only good for two more years when he's 32. He has trouble staying healthy but when he is he's a fantastic playmaker, maybe at the cost of being a goal scorer. It also allows me to either move Nylander down to the third line or switch him to wing depending who I get for the top two right wing positions.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

My strategy of not realizing it was my turn to pick is paying off, let's see who's available..............

e: hang on I'm calling up my next pick right now

Continuing my trend of picking players who don't ever stay healthy Nashville selects Evander Kane

Technetium fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 19, 2016

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Andreas it's nice to see you

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Menamino posted:

uh I'll take Mike Ribiero because he's still a productive scorer (50 in 81 last year despite shooting 5% under his career average) and apparently he has really great fancies

he should be a really reliable third line center for the squad

JoelJoel is up

Grats on drafting a complete dirtbag

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

tofes posted:

gently caress Mike Ribiero

Only against my will

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Menamino posted:

for the purposes of a potential sim of a season in whatever program people use to do that after this draft is over - digital, computer generated mike ribiero did nothing wrong

for the purposes of judging you and your team he did everything wrong and is a garbage man

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Gaudreau and Eichel were both younger and put up better seasons when they won the Hobey Baker, that's not really an accurate comparison. He's more similar to Drew Leblanc or Jack Connolly who also won in their senior years with a similar ppg total.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

i am the bird posted:

I'll take Justin Braun

Drouin-McDavid-
Silfverberg-Draisaitl-
Zetterberg-Nielsen-

Muzzin-Niskanen
???-Braun

Infidel Castro is up next.

You jerk

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I like to consider myself more of a young John Chayka

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I don't know what I'm doing

Gaudreau - Couture -?
Kane - Stastny - Nylander

? - Letang
? - Johnson

Stebe

I really like my top six so far, playmakers and snipers and speedy players and I feel like Couture/Stastny is a solid one-two combo for the 30 games they'll both be healthy. Letang is an elite defenseman and puckmover and Johnson is no slouch as a second pair anchor/playmaker. Mason is a top tier goalie who will hopefully pick up the slack next year again. I'm not happy about my RW/LD positions and options coming up though.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Choosing. Wisely.

Please don't.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The RECAPITATOR posted:

I will select Jean-Gabriel Pageau.

I said don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Yeah I kept looking at Ryan and to a lesser extent Ceci for points but holy hell they both seem Not Good. Roll in Ryan's contract that goes til he's 34 and NMC so they can't even expose him in the expansion draft unless he agrees.......

Ceci is at least young enough he could conceivably get better.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Greene really fell off a bit last year. Still a solid pick at this stage but he's about to enter sharp decline

I'm not so sure. He faced his toughest starts in a awhile and suffered for it. If they didn't give him every defensive zone draw he'd probably would've been the same.

e: he was also one of about three defensemen I was considering so thanks for narrowing my options!

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Give me Karl Alzner

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

eXXon posted:

Don't worry they both suck.

I disagree?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

eXXon posted:

dat HERO chart. But really his fancies are not good and he's likely being carried by Niskanen, although he was good at actual defending in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, I picked Dandy Kaiser because his scoring rates are decent and he's a top four defenseman despite having had an off year (like most of the Dead Things). HERO charts say he's bad at possession because his numbers are worse than Mike "Never Seen a Defensive Zone in My Life" Green and his partner. I will ignore that because it's dumb.

Also Jordan is skipped and T-Bone can pick twice.

I specifically wanted a guy who was good at shot suppression to pair with either of Letang or Johnson and Alzner is good at that. He's a left handed shot to pair with the right shot guys, is only 27, hasn't missed a game in half a decade. His numbers barely changed since Niskanen came so I don't know where you drew that conclusion. He got dummied in zone starts relative to his team but was still essentially a neutral possession player relative to his team.

Alzner is cool and should pair well with Letang to let him roam while he limits chances against.

e: also gently caress the guy who took Mikko Rantanen, thought he'd be safe til my next pick because I needed D.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

After much deliberation and staring at the gaping hole on my 1st line right wing the Nashville Predators select the criminally underrated by everyone PA Parenteau,

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Yaya posted:

Parenteau can be very on and off but a potential 20+ goals for that price can't be ignored. He was on my radar for sure.

Much like the rest of my team as long he stays healthy he should be good for 15-20 goals.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The RECAPITATOR posted:

I will take Jacob Slavin to add to my defensive talent pool.
I do not know the guy, but based on the data I could find it seems like he may be decent. That's all I got.

wow someone actually took him too

boo everyone who isn't me

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Holy gently caress Paulocaust has $12 million space left and he's only got a 10 person team.
Those bottom two lines are going to have to be bargain bin as hell

Pro manager

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Paulocaust posted:

The irl Blackhawks and Penguins are paying their top 10 guys as much as I am.

They most be poorly run franchises too. Or maybe it makes sense to pay the big money to your top guys. Idk. Just spitballing here fellas....

Along with similar cup winning powerhouses the Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

That's why you shouldn't have a list and just frantically pick at scraps instead.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

whoa i might be able to pick tomorrow??????? hosed up if true

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

lazerwolf posted:

I'm going to pick and hopefully Tech wasn't going to take Tyler Bozak

Hell no.

Vladislav Namestnikov seems cool and good so give him to me please.

e: there were like ten players/prospects I put here before I settled on this guy let's see if any make it back to my next pick!

Technetium fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 26, 2016

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

eXXon posted:

Im going to go out on a limb and say that Namestnikov is probably a better value pick than Bozak.

He's 23 and his fancies are through the loving roof on a great team which bodes well.

e: his offensive stats seem directly tied to Hedman/Stamkos, which makes sense and is fine for a third line guy but at least he can keep up and helps, but his effects on shot suppression with the big guys and away from them are fantastic. Happy to have him.

Technetium fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 26, 2016

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

the talent deficit posted:

i was gonna take namestikov with my next pick

Please don't take the other players I want!!! Thanks and sorry!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

the talent deficit posted:

pm me them so i know not to take them

I don't have platinum so here's my list

Rob Scuderi
Dan Girardi
Mike Brown