Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Suppose I'll Rutherford up the Penguins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
With the 21st overall pick the Pittsburgh Penguins are pleased to select Tyler Johnson

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
He's just so young too and plus the ELC. It's hard to pass that up.

It's not like Ovechkin is way off the board though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Infidel Castro posted:

No time for a write-up since I gotta leave for work, but with the 3rd overall pick the Flyers select Centre Steven Stamkos.

Not sure I get this one given the uh other centers available

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Menamino posted:

No write-ups since I'm waiting for my car to finish being inspected on 5% battery life, but the highest guy left on Joel's list is Jamie benn

And since my guy is left here I'll go with a homer-y yet solid value pick and take my man John Tavares

I feel like the linemate of a recent pick will go next, and could be argued as a better value than Tavares, but I'll go with my heart and start my team of intangible havers here.

Don't think Tavares is much of a homer pick. He's still young and really damned good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I gotta go with Evgeni Malkin. He's been injury prone the last few years but when healthy he's about as dominant a player as there is. He's also shown on numerous occasions that when Crosby goes down he doesn't get any less dominant - hell he actually gets even moreso, so I have no worry about him being the guy running a team.

e: Metapod and Technetium up next

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 7, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Technetium posted:

Thanks for not making me pick Malkin who coincidentally fell out of the Top Ten this year (as he should've last year too because of injuries/age)

Malkin's long history of not playing full seasons concerns me a lot but he's just so good I couldn't pass him up. It's not like he has a history of concussions or anything so I see no reason why he can't turn around his bad injury luck.

e: As for the age well, should still have 4 or 5 more seasons of being elite, maybe longer if I'm lucky

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I found this in the lobby, somebody plz contact the Pens GM and DONT QUOTE

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

The talent deficit is skipped and tbone is up. (Ginette reno has his picks?)

T-Bone wants Toews and Giroux for his picks.

Talent Deficit is up again I guess.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Letang is better than the vast majority of the defensemen taken ahead of him so far so yeah that's a great pick. I think Karlsson is the only d taken ahead of him that is indisputably better. There are others that are pretty much on his level (Subban, Hedman)

Definitely a great pick.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well I'm pretty sure it's been two hours so I'm going to go ahead and pick Evgeny Kuznetsov because he's young and super good. He had a bad playoffs but I have no doubt he's a consistent 70 point player moving forward and him and Malkin could make all the weird faces to each other.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You just guaranteed Don Cherry will never support your team in two easy picks.

I think that means I'm on the right track

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Menamino posted:

I was really shocked Backstrom fell that far, it got to the point where I legitimately thought he was gonna make it back to me and that freaked me out

I thought about taking him but I liked Kuznetsov more since he's younger. Backstrom is damned good though. He's one of the best powerplay qbs in the league.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'll take Gabriel Landeskog. He's young and talented and would probably be pretty good away from that garbage fire team he's on.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pittsburgh takes Matt Murray because he's a good young goalie who has won a cup already and has a strong AHL pedigree and so I'm pretty sure he's going to be at worst a solid starting goalie and he has the potential to be an elite one.

Kuznetsov-Malkin
Landeskog

Murray

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Jesus Matt murray? Out of all the goalies available, even the young ones?

There's other comparable ones but Murray has a Cup which doesn't really mean anything but I could have flipped a coin between him and the other two young goalies I'm thinking of so I might as well take the one I like and know

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Murray is gonna be a very good goalie but I wouldn't pick him over someone else. And young goalies this early seems weird to me.

All the truly elite goalies are gone except for one and Murray is likely to be comparable to the other older ones left.

Anyways Saad. Good pick that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Paulocaust posted:

Give me the real deal James Neal baby

Neal-Getzlaf-Kane

Weber

I like this team. That would be an amusing line to watch. People would get so mad at those three pieces of poo poo running wild on them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

tofes posted:

This was a real hard pick for me. I have a list of about 10 centers and even though there's a winger I really want I don't know if any of the centers will make it back to me and I can't live with myself if I don't have a good second line center.

The Buffalo Sabers select Tyler Johnson

Not sure how a top 10 pick like him dropped this far

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'll take Adam Henrique. I believe he can play some wing, and he's pretty skilled and smart and would probably gel well with Malkin or Kuznetsov. Seems like he thinks the game pretty well. Having him and Kuznetsov gives me some nice flexibility in that both can play C/W so I can always move them around

Landeskog-Malkin
Kuznetsov-Henrique (Kuznetsov at Center, Henrique W)

Matt Murray

Metro supremacy

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 14, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

How good would Matt Murray look behind literally no defense?

Let's find out!

e: Honestly people went nuts on d so me not taking one now is almost a matter of spite. I'm gonna gently caress over all the assholes who went heavy on defense by continuing to scoop up good forwards :colbert:

There's also nobody I particular want on d right now, at least not over the forwards left. BPA imo.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I would say to not play him with Kuz or Malkin, they'll skate circles around him. He's not skilled enough. He's a second-line winger for whoever your 2C winds up being.

Kutznesov is probably my 2C. And Henrique would be fine with either, I'm sure. Malkin played with Bryan loving Rust and Chris Kunitz in the playoffs. Henrique is far better currently than both.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

I take Patric Hornqvist a few spots higher than last year despite his being a year older because I need an almost-30 quality possession scoring winger veteran and also there is a serious shortage of good right wingers in the NHL.

I'm a little nervous about his body breaking down at some point because of his style of play. He's solid though and he could play anywhere in a lineup and do well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm going to continue going young as poo poo and take the best goalie not playing in the NHL, 6'4" Connor Hellebucyk. I'll get an older guy for stability later.

Laine - Bjugstad - Gallagher

? - Hamilton
? - Ristolainen

Hellebucyk

Your team is going to have a bright future obviously but yeesh your core is like Leafs level bad for your first year unless Laine is going to be instantly Ovechkin.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Yeah he was definitely the best offensive center left and had to take him.

There's a better guy left who I'm shocked nobody has taken yet. Although Kadri has more potential than the guy I'm thinking of.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I can definitely think of another 60+ point center still available who is quite good but Kadri to me drives possession extremely well and is locked into a great contract.

The guy I'm thinking of actually has lovely fancies it turns out but might be partially his team.

And yeah there are some good young centers left. My next pick gon be a tough decision even though I desperately need defensemen

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's been like 2 and a 1/2 hours. Tech can pick, or Metapod since it's already been that long.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Metapod posted:

Colorado selects Derek Stepan

That was the center I was surprised wasn't taken yet. His fancies aren't that great, but they're not terrible either, and he does produce well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Alright, give me Sean Couturier so that Malkin doesn't have to worry about getting shut down by him, and also because he's a fantastic shutdown center with untapped offensive potential. Fancies are great.

Landeskog-Malkin
Henrique-Kuznetsov
Cooter

Murray

What's a defenseman?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JoelJoel posted:

So you really are going with the hypothetical of literally no one in front of Murray.

My forwards are pretty good defensively :colbert:.

There's a couple guys I want I'm hoping to get at some point. We'll see.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Infidel Castro posted:

I wasn't too optimistic that Cooter would fall to me but I really didn't think you'd pass on a D-man again.

Just felt Cooter was more valuable than any of the d I might have taken. He's a fantastic two-way center already and I think he's got potential to be even better offensively. Could see him being a 50-60 point guy in his prime with the d, so basically a mini Bergeron.

tofes posted:

edit: actually it looks like there's still one more guy I had pegged to be gone by now

Yeah there's one more I'm thinking of who I almost took and is pretty good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Currently in crisis mode at work, so this one's gonna be quick and lovely!

I select Noah Hanifin because he'll fit right in.

Didn't have a great year fancy dancy wise but the talent is pretty obvious. I think he'll be good soon.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

stab posted:

Time for my lovely pick

I honestly did zero research in who to draft

So I went with "oh yeahhhh I remember this guy!"

Hope he's good, maybe not good enough to me my 2D, but if he isn't, oh well, at least he's not that lovely Vancouver D who can not be named

Cam Fowler

His fancies kinda stink but he's got talent so he's weird. He's sorta like a young Jack Johnson I suppose.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sorry I had hockey. Give me Johnny Boychuk. Great fancies, and I need a defenseman.

e:

Landeskog-Malkin
Henrique-Kuznetsov
Couturier

Boychuk

Murray

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

16. Taylor Hall
205. Adam Larsson

but none of us are NHL GMs so what the hell do we know?

Probably too high for Larsson too, lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Give me Radko Gudas. He's a fancy darling and a dirty piece of poo poo, both things I appreciate

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

His fancy stats darlingness has really only been this season, and it wouldn't be shocking if it turned out that was a mirage.

That said, it's fun to watch him play and hit everything all the time.

He wasn't bad the two previous years, he just took a big step up this year.

Can't put a price on that truculence though. My soft forwards need an rear end in a top hat on the backend to keep the other team honest.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I'll take Charlie Coyle

Forgot about him but he's a solid young player

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I keep expecting Jussi to fall off because he's kinda slow and not all that great on the boards or anything and getting older but he just keeps on playin his smarty pants hockey and producing

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Flyinglemur posted:

The Ducks select Defensivemans Brian Dumoulin because he is cheap and is playing with other, good players that should help his development and also I like him.

Good soldier Svejk is up

Dumo owns. Good shot suppressor. He reminds me a bit of a younger [guy who hasn't been taken yet]. They both have limp dick shots but excellent poise and positioning and they never take penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yaya posted:

I realize I just became that GM who overpaid after one good playoff but my options here were dire

Bonino is still on that really good contract for one more year. After that he figures to get a good little raise though.

• Locked thread