Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I'll do the Isles again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

So that means we got a full roster right?

Maybe set a random draft order sometime soon and then start the draft sometime mid next week?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

Well, despite my efforts, I got vacationed again. If we start before next weekend can someone take a list from me for my first couple picks?

yeah you can PM me a shortlist if you won't be around, I'll be following the draft and don't pick until 25th in the first so if you or anyone else won't be around I'm down to help keep things moving

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

eXXon posted:

Anyone want to swap spots? I'm not sure if I want to do #7 again. I did #29 last year and I think #9 the year before.

Also, the first time around I drafted Hedman, Vlasic, Hamilton, Klein, Fayne, Gormley and Orlov as my D. Various people said it was garbage and they would suck. Well Hedman, Vlasic, Klein and Orlov finished #3,9,11, and 12 for 5v5 P/60 by D last season. Hamilton was 42. gently caress y'all. I won't say anything about the other two drafts.

I'm down to swap from #25, provided that sort of thing is allowed

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I have Joel Joel's list that he sent to me a few days ago, I asked him last night if he still wanted me to stick with it but haven't heard from him. I pick after him so I could knock out 2 picks back to back but didn't wanna move forward until I was sure it was kosher still

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

No write-ups since I'm waiting for my car to finish being inspected on 5% battery life, but the highest guy left on Joel's list is Jamie benn

And since my guy is left here I'll go with a homer-y yet solid value pick and take my man John Tavares

I feel like the linemate of a recent pick will go next, and could be argued as a better value than Tavares, but I'll go with my heart and start my team of intangible havers here.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

yeah the pace seems fine, if we stick to the window system and move on after 2 hours have passed we'll still get through the first round in about the same time as last year probably

e: which means furnaceface can pick in 8 minutes if the previous pick isn't made

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Don't think Tavares is much of a homer pick. He's still young and really damned good.

i am the bird posted:

Tavares is on an insanely good contract, too.

Yeah I agree with both of these thoughts. There's just a very similar player to him out there in both skill and contract that some could argue should be picked higher, however we on Long Island value character and intangibles and feel Tavares brings these a bit more than that other guy.

I also have a lot more Tavares gifs than I do of the other fella, here, have some

I don't have any gifs of the series winner against Florida, but don't worry, I do watch this video of it fairly regularly as well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgV2_CLMd1s

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

fbs is up, stab after him

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

the recapitator can pick now too, it's been 3 hours since a pick, unfortunately for thinktank he sent a list to someone who also isn't apparently around

I'm home for the rest of the day and will be checking in at least once an hour, send me your lists any and all people so we keep this thing moving

e: oh whoops I guess thinktank's window is 1 hour still, but my offer still stands for lists for the rest of today

Iodised QQ fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 8, 2016

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

boomer the cannon's up

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I was really shocked Backstrom fell that far, it got to the point where I legitimately thought he was gonna make it back to me and that freaked me out

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

a lot of good picks recently, all guys that I had in mind for this round.

I like a few guys a lot here and just like Tavares/Seguin in round 1 I'm equally torn between 2 similar players this round. I'm gonna go with the younger guy on the ELC so I can overspend like crazy later on and take Nikita Kucherov here.

JoelJoel is up

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Yaya can pick now if he's around

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Brad Marchand, I'll post with more effort when I get home

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

alright so I picked Marchand because he'd be a really good winger for Tavares for a few reasons. Mostly because he's good without the puck and with a puck hog like Tavares that's important.

Dude had 37 goals last year and while his previous best was 28 it doesn't seem too fluky as he actually shot below his career shooting percentage on the season (14.8 vs 15). He just shot the puck a hell of a lot more than he ever has before and that seems easier to repeat going forward. I also appreciate the agitating shithead aspect that he brings to a line.

And then there's the fancies:

so his shot suppression (and generation) would be really really good with Tavares as JT generates shots like few others but can give up quite a few as well.

I'd probably break up the top line of Marchand - Tavares - Kucherov and put Kucherov on the second line as I think he can carry a line on his own when he's hot but it'd be really cool to see those guys play together for a full season.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I'll take Chris Tanev, there are sexier picks out there and more points available but I figure I'll need someone who can actually play defense with really good fancies on a solid contract

JoelJoel is up

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I'm gonna take Nikolaj Ehlers. No idea how to gauge this guy's value but since dudes like Drouin are starting to go I figured he'd be up soon too.

was torn on him or some more established players but decided to go with him cuz I like really fast dudes with good shots. It also allows me to continue fulfilling my dream of surrounding John Tavares with fast skaters who can gain the zone rather than throw the puck to him in the neutral zone and stand around hugging the boards watching while he gets swarmed by 4 dudes like back in the Matt Moulson days of his youth.

Plus Ehlers actually had a decent rookie year with solid fancy stats (and a low sh%) so I expect him to have a strong second season. It also allows me to bump Kucherov down to the second line and as I watched him carry a line singlehandedly in the postseason I know he's capable of dealing with it

Marchand - Tavares - Ehlers
- - Kucherov

Tanev

tofes and then Furnaceface are up next

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

i'll take Derick Brassard to be my 2C. Put up a 27g 31a 58p line last year with 60 points the year before so he's settling in to be a very solid second line player who would presumably produce even better playing next to nikita kucherov.

JoelJoel is up

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah I'm surprised he made it back to me too, 60ish points in today's nhl is really good second line production so I figured he'd be gone a round or 2 ago

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

i'll take Mike Cammalleri

Guy produces everywhere he goes, even on the Devils. Gets hurt every year but in this fantasy world my owner is willing to spend on top of the line training facilities and smoothies to keep Cammy in the lineup for 70+ games. Maybe.

Good fancies too

that rounds out my top 6 of

Cammalleri - Brassard - Kucherov

Tanev

gently caress defense, my team will be entertaining no matter what

tofes is up

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I can take lists, will be around most of the day and don't have any pick of my own any time soon

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

its been over 2 hours, metapod and/or ginette reno can pick

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

uh I'll take Mike Ribiero because he's still a productive scorer (50 in 81 last year despite shooting 5% under his career average) and apparently he has really great fancies

he should be a really reliable third line center for the squad

JoelJoel is up

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

for the purposes of a potential sim of a season in whatever program people use to do that after this draft is over - digital, computer generated mike ribiero did nothing wrong

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

i'll take Jeff Petry, Montreal fans seem to like him and his fancies are top pairing quality so I feel like even if he's not quite that good he'll be fine on a second pairing for me

Ribiero

- Tanev
- Petry

tofes is up

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

i'll take Ryan Pulock

Only 21 years old and already has shown a really high offensive IQ and has an accurate 105 mph slapper. He should get a lot of time on the PP this year and I expect him to put up a nice point total, Jack Capuano notwithstanding

Also gives my pretend team a powerplay that I really like with a lot of dangerous shooters, could line up something like

Marchand - Tavares - Kucherov
Cammalleri - Pulock

It would probably give up a few shorties but they'd be ripping so many sweet one timers I don't even care

JoelJoel is up

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Love Pulock, but you know he's a defenseman yes?

Uhh yeah, that's why he's playing one of the points

I figured Cammalleri could handle the other one cuz I'd rather maximize offense on the powerplay instead of putting a guy like tanev there

I'm confused, where did I give the indication that I didn't know the position of one of the best prospects the team I follow plays

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I'm not able to check the sheet right now so i'll just pick off a short list of guys who I know for sure are still available and keep another islander player in Anders Lee

good fancies, generates a lot of shots as a good forechecker, has already scored 25 goals, fairly young, big dude, high truculence levels, etc

Lee - Ribiero

Tanev
Petry
Pulock

now tofes is up

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Bummer. Really wanted Lee. Your offense is awesome

thanks, I know my defense is gonna wind up being pretty underwhelming overall but if I can at least build 3 quality forward lines that can control possession plus one guy on each D pair that's trustworthy I feel like the team would be a pretty fun one to watch at the very worst

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

you guys move fast in the morning, sorry

i'll take Leo Komarov

I thought he was a winger but nhl.com says he's a center so that's official enough for me to put him in as my fourth line center. Has fancies are pretty good, borderline first liner at least on shot suppression, and put up a 19g/17a/36p line in 67 games so he should provide some scoring upside while being able to be a plus on the possession side

plus last year my best pick was Lee Stempniak late so I'm hoping the trend of Le- dudes blowing up will continue. If it does, you're welcome, toronto fans

joeljoel is up

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Technetium posted:

He's only played wing in the NHL really. He's better as a winger than a center because of his hard forechecking ways of being a living target seeking missile.

I thought so too, I'll probably wind up playing him at wing too but at least the old center designation gives a little wiggle room if need be

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

tofes posted:

I wasn't going to take him but I like Barzal

i was going to take him and i also like him

I'd say there's better than a 50/50 shot that he makes the opening night roster, he was the second best forward in Isles' training camp last year and would've made the team if he was a little older.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I guess it's about time that I took a goalie before every single one is gone so I'll take Jaroslav Halak

i was counting on Barzal to be my third line RW so he could be sheltered for his first season in the league and round out my top 9 but I still feel pretty good about it overall

Lee - Ribiero -
- Komarov -

Tanev
Petry
Pulock

Halak

tofes is up

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

i'll take Mark Streit and hope his body can avoid crumbling into pieces for a little while longer

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

Is anders Lee taken? If not I'll take him. I seem to remember him putting up like 20 plus a couple years ago. He's I think a centre. I can call him ders. Isles fan, good pick?

as the islander fan who picked him, I do think he was a good pick and I appreciate your interest in him

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

yeah I had ward on my radar too, as said before his possession stats are kinda mediocre though so that made me bump him down a bit. If he lasted a bit longer I wouldn't have had any issue taking him for 4th line duties though, he's a useful guy to have around

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

i'll take Clarke MacArthur

Last season was lost for him because he got concussed early on and by the time he was ready to play Ottawa was basically done. But it seems like he's recovered well and most Ottawa fans I see are fairly confident he'll get back into the lineup to start the year and are penciling him into their top 6.

hey, it's pick #427 so you're basically stuck with mediocre old guys and questionable prospects at this point so I'd rather take the guy who has really good fancies year in and year out and bank on him being healthy enough to put in 60 games of really good play. He'll be on my third line so I can absorb a potential re-hot braining and not have my offense fall apart. I figure I can move Anders Lee to RW because he mostly plays in front of the net anyway and probably wouldn't be affected much by playing on his off wing and have MacArthur play on his natural side.

that leaves the current squad at something like

MacArthur - Ribiero - Lee
Komarov

Streit - Tanev
Petry
Pulock

Halak

the defense is obviously a bit light but I feel like Tanev and Petry are both very reliable in their own zone and Streit can still move the puck well if nothing else. They'll be helped by having three offensive lines that are both really good on the fancies front and at actually scoring, so they basically have to just play soundly in their own end and get the puck into the neutral zone. At least in theory. And Halak is Halak, he won't win a Vezina anytime soon but he's been slightly above average for essentially his whole career so I feel comfortable with him. Although I'd like to get another goalie who could potentially play 30+ games with Halak's injury history.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

i'll take Jordie "the other benn" Benn because while he's not very good, he apparently at least suppresses shots well and that's good enough for me with how few decent defenders are left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

eXXon posted:

Nick Holden, shutdown defenseman :lol: He has the second-highest Fenwick against/60 of defensemen who played more than 1000 minutes in the last two seasons, behind only Ristolainen. Next you're going to tell me that Marcus Kruger has a good contract.

Incidentally, Davidson and Benn are pretty good in that regard.

yeah that was the logic behind my pick of Benn, he's not going to drive offense or be a great player, but he does seem to at least do one thing decently well and that's suppress shots against. I'll probably have to unfortunately play him on my 2nd pairing but at least he brings something to the table.

• Locked thread