Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Good luck, UK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Outpost22 posted:

john oliver says to stay and he's pretty unfunny so i think they should leave

also no checkbox poll, wtf?

He's more propaganda than comedy now. It's pretty terrible, losing all respect for a guy who was a clown to begin with.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Saga posted:

In theory? We have an actual IRL common market with free movement of goods, services and workers.

The whole situation is bizarre, in that we are basically about to gently caress our economy up because of racism and xenophobia in a small part of the Conservative party, which has lead to a referendum being forced on Cameron, which has actually given credence to the notion that leaving the EU might be a good idea.

There is no actual cogent or pressing argument for leaving the EU at this point other than "we are scared that non-white people or people who speak Foreign will continue coming to Britain". The rest is just magical thinking or plain made-up:

"The EU is undemocratic" (despite the fact that we elect our European parliamentarians, the Council is made up of the delegates of our democratically elected national governments and the fact that we have an incredibly centralised and insular political class in the UK that is only really good at representing rich people in London and the home counties).

"Losing the common market isn't a problem because another one will come along in a minute" (or, alternatively, because we all need to close our eyes and really BELIEVE harder in the UK economy).

Or, "we're giving all our money to the EU!" (a net figure is perhaps £8 billion, out of total public spending of ~£750 billion - so a princely 1% of public spending annually for access to the common market and a significant say in European law and politics).

Yes but don't worry, anti-immigrant hysteria is doing pretty well north of the border as well, so this may not even trigger a new independence referendum.

Wow, they would give all that up, just to ensure they have the freedom of self government in the future. :911: So proud of you lads.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Rutibex posted:

yeah seriously. if they don't vote to leave now they will never be presented with the choice ever again!

as if the UK would never be offered a chance to re-join in the future lol. leaving means they can preserve their sovereignty, and have the option of rejoining if things look better in the EU. if they vote to stay the option will be "put to rest" and political integration will continue to to point where leaving the EU is not an option any more.

I've heard it will take the better part of two decades to finish disentangling themselves from the EU if the vote passes. :shrug:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Imagine having to bribe every aristocrat in Europe just to keep them from voting some new safety measure that will shut down your ports and cost you millions to meet the new requirements.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

isnt this thing non-binding anyway? like the government can just be like "nah... nah"

Also, all the ppl counting the votes want a no.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Revenants Return posted:

What is the alleged association between people who want to exit and racism ?

Well, as you can see here....

e:on the left is "the black" from Operation Black Vote. She is a Hindu lady, wielding an Apple product that was assembled by slaves. She believes in a rigid caste system where the lowest ppl are untouchables that you can just kill or whatever because they're not real people. On the right is a sporting British lad with a tight chop and a no-nonsense attitude. He seems to be watching a soccer game (or handegg, as you might know it,) off in the distance.

Ork of Fiction fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 23, 2016

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Beige posted:

The context is the point of the joke. I was being flippant while pointing out a similarity. Also, I am being tested for autism if that's relevant to anything.

Good luck on your test! :)

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

ilikedirt posted:

did someone make a brexit through the gift shop joke

Nah, man. You got that poo poo.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

a real jerk posted:

you maniacs are really going to leave

fantastic self destruction mates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLCEUpIg8rE

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

spud posted:

It's weird that Scotland is so pro-remain, but if I walk into a bar in Glasgow and say "Alright Lads!" I will probably get stabbed....

Yet my country is connected to Scotland. And I love Scotland.

They probably like seeing the English get exploited by the EU like they get exploited by the English.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Bardeh posted:

Leave 400k votes ahead now. :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLAIAV_2jvg

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

It blows my mind that they would leave something this important to a single majority vote. I think in most places now you need 2/3rds just to raise taxes.

With how close it is, maybe they can vote in or out every other year

Something as important as a non-binding referendum?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Seeing as how it's non-binding and all, this vote is a powerful weapon for negotiation with EU. They could do something like demand that the NHS be left alone, re-nationalize this or that.

Basically, they could demand whatever they wanted from the EU with the threat that if they don't get it, they walk and the EU collapses behind them.
GOOD LUCK BOYS!!!

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

fyallm posted:

Can we give you Trump now? Is that how this works? *takes sword and knights everyone*

He'll be in Scotland tomorrow opening a new golf course. Maybe he'll be killed? :shrug:
That could be fun.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Prettz posted:

Wait wait wait, what was going on with the NHS? The EU was making demands against the NHS?

EU says "privatize everything! unrestricted flow of capital! we are the living embodiment of neoliberalism guided solely by bankers and the aristocracy!"

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
^^Oh no! not the money!!^^ :qq:

The Casualty posted:

Wow I'd forgotten all about The Whitest Kids U Know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D-6zbSf_J4

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Man Whore posted:

Its okay Britain. You can join the North American Union that we are going to form. We can rename it the North Atlantic Union.

I prefer "Uncle Sam's Club"

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Prettz posted:

you guys sat back and allowed American anti-intellectualism infest your country and now you pay the price.

Culture is our greatest weapon. :)

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Why do people keep talking about the EU like it isn't doomed?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

b/c it's not altho it might change form in some way. EU is the best thing that has happened to post war europe. it's mostly right wing populists who dislike it enough not to think it's done loads more good than bad.

But is it financially solvent?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

if corbyn wins at least he wont have a greater power enforcing horrible policies. Ofc that involves getting corb into power first

Besides that brits wont get much out of this with the current govt. Most of the positives are on the "gently caress you EU" side of things.

If this Brexit vote isn't enough to mobilize the youth to come out for Corbyn while fracturing the olds, then UK should just sink beneath the waves.
Right now the conservative party threw the ball to that nerdy kid that no one guards against, and the kid actually caught it! But he's got no idea what to do next, so he's just kind of squirming around while you close in to force a turnover. (This is a football [American hand soccer] analogy)

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Roylicious posted:

brexit your new MPs haircut because he looks like the worst kind of Boris

At the political formation of the US, they held a vote to determine whether the official language would be English or German because the population of German immigrants was so high.

Obviously they made the right choice. German is not a v. good language.

e: but pre-industrial revolution, the main export from Germany was its people.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

hemophilia posted:

Please let this happen so i can awe and confuse my dumb american family by taking a trip to england to visit the city state of london and go to The City Of London, to hunt for the next recursion

So, like, going to London avenue to find the London house where you can sit in the London room on the Chair of London?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
BTW, if anyone is still looking for stock tips, the answer in every economic downturn is to invest in companies that make liquor.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Applebee123 posted:

Boris Johnson has written in his newspaper column about how brexit "Wasn't about immigration" and Thersea May the 2nd most likely PM launching her bid for leadership has stated that "There is a positive argument for immigration that hasn't been discussed" so it sounds like they are planning an EEA deal with freedom of movement from the eu but no representation of the UK in the european parliament. Basically the status quo now but without any voting power in the eu for the uk. They'd have until 2020 to figure out how to stop UKIP getting into power, I'd guess they are hoping rising national sentiment will get the EU to capitulate just a bit on freedom of movement, perhaps if Marine Le Pen wins the french election.

There is some benefit to disentangling themselves politically from the EU. It makes it easier to :sever: if and when things break down, (and we are heading into a period of intense global crisis,) and it allows the EU to strengthen its own form of central governance without the Brits there to piss and moan.

Best for both parties, honestly. :shrug:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

LGD posted:

Oh no, sorry for the confusion, I meant anyone who doesn't vote in the U.S. state of Oregon (or Washington/Colorado) has basically no excuse.

We have our ballots mailed to us two weeks before the election, and they can be mailed back or returned to an official drop off location at literally any time up to the close of the polls.

I'm still counting the days until some crazy rear end in a top hat dips their ballot into 70% H2O2 before dropping it into the box. 3-5 hours later it starts to smoke and catches fire...

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Prettz posted:

no, you're just mixed up.

edit: if someone says they're "a progressive", you should be suspicious.

IMU, "Progressiveism" is about applying the law differently to different people in order to compensate for different situations. So, like, a progressive tax plan applies higher taxes to ppl who have more income and affirmative action tries to compensate for preferential racism with hiring quotas. So "one rule for me and one for thee" is the basis of progressive politics. Certainly has its place. :shrug:

e: another example of progressive politics would be "separate but equal" style segregation.

Ork of Fiction fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 30, 2016

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Captain Gordon posted:

Hey UK, you want to trade with EU? gently caress YOU.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36678222

Time for the Brits to start issuing letters of marque, impo.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

hemophilia posted:

It's true and thank god for that

Yeah, keep sucking that banker dick.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

whatever7 posted:

Trans-Atlantic Union! It's on!

It's like the opposite Axis of Evil, but awesome!

Someone should jump a rocket cycle over the Atlantic so we could call it the Axis of Evel Knievel.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I mean, when the US Gov bailed out the banks, they acted like they owned them, and as a result passed a bunch of laws that make it so banks can do whatever and make hella money, so I don't see the downside here?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Dubplate Fire posted:

The one really dumb thing about Britain leaving the EU is they are still gonna have to follow EU regulations when it comes to commerce, except now they don't have a vote.

The Brits have had one foot out the door the whole time, and it was dragging down the EU's efforts at political integration. Now EU can do what it do, and the UK can shut down w/e agreement they have if things start going poorly on the mainland (they will.) Sometime divorce is best for everyone.

Moridin920 posted:

Pretty much. London's economy is heavily dependent on real estate and finance though.

An economy that produces nothing but debt should be immediately destroyed.

Ork of Fiction fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 11, 2016

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Yeah. Just gotta acc-cen-tu-ate the positive! Keep calm and carry on! Here's some tunes to keep ur silver linings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwJLQRLP8ec

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

A misanthrope posted:

hey guys i dont want to read theis long thread. anything cool happen? which pages have the meltdowns?

The meltdowns are in D&D. Here in GBS, we try to make the best of every situation.

e: a good motto for GBS might be something like "Hey, look on the bright side!" or "It could always be worse, so why not just kick back and have fun!" or "There's no such thing as a good situation, so w/e!" or maybe "Hey, guy! Pass me that syringe!"

Ork of Fiction fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 13, 2016

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
It's a checks and balances thing. Having Royals around acts as a "check" against the possibility of a casteless society.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I do get the feeling that guns and royals are mutually exclusive tho.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

RobattoJesus posted:

She has a gun in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Having doors on ur house is racist.

• Locked thread