Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

To be fair, the writing in the entire gravure section revolved around a weird kind of criticism of the gravure industry and creepy fans but it fell completely flat on its face because you got to see the female party members in sexy bikinis so tbh them just excising that entire concept is probably an improvement, especially since it clashed kinda heavily with the mood of the game otherwise.

Did it? I just played through that chapter a couple of weeks ago (in Japanese, of course), and it seemed to be a very straight take on gravure modeling. The entire point of the chapter was for Tsubasa to learn how to pose her body and make facial expressions to "capture the hearts" (or some such nonsense) of gravure consumers, which the game all but explicitly says really means making some middle aged men horny. This is presented as a good thing.

Gravure is perhaps the skeeviest part of Japanese idol culture and the only advantage I can think of for keeping it is to perhaps educate the western audience about that aspect of Japanese pop culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

I did not know that the dual performance things were actually also attacks you can do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Gav2j_DTY&t=59s

It looks really cool.

For what it's worth, dual attacks are a late game feature. I'm about 60 percent into the game and they've yet to appear.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

alright, i'll give one last thing:

The trainer I mentioned? He used to be guitarists for the best bands in the world, but then moved to japan to teach idols how to sing. he also fell in love with anime intended for little girls.

He's inspired by Marty Friedman of Megadeth (though they look nothing alike), who has been living in Japan for a long time and heavily involved with idol jpop.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

living the dream

Here's a sample.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

It's a good song. I like it.

Incidentally, it also has a remixed version featuring Yngwie Malmsteen on guitar, replacing Friedman's part.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

According to HLTB it's 53 hours main story plus extras, but that's according to one guy so far, so it'll take a while for a more solid answer.

I haven't finished the game yet, but this seems about right to me. It also gets pretty drat difficult, even on Normal. There was a mid-boss in a later chapter I had to fight about 10 times before I managed to form a winning strategy, and I still occasionally get wiped out by a random enemy when I have bad luck.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Can you actually get skills back once you've overwritten them?

You gain that ability around mid-game.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Who reads magazines in a convenience store? It's not a library!

That's actually spot on. Every time I go into a convenience store over here (that is, every day because they're an essential part of life here) there are people in front of the magazine rack reading magazines.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

BillmasterCozb posted:

waifu is not a meme

It kind of is. This is not the word used in the Japanese version (and in fact, it's not a word ever used in Japanese).

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

For me, the bigger offence here is that they dropped the "P" from her name.

And in all seriousness, "waifu" is not exactly my favourite western otakuism (it comes from 4chan and it reeks of racism) but it has become the de-facto translation for "ore no yome", even if they're not exactly equivalent in their current usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

("Waifu")

BillmasterCozb posted:

it is used in japan, actually

It is not. In all four years I've lived here, I've only ever heard it once, in this situation: some people, even though they know I understand Japanese perfectly well, feel it necessary to repeat a few random words in every sentence they say in English, just to make sure I understand them (incidentally, they always choose the most easy, everyday words. Which stands to reason, because they probably don't know the more difficult ones). The other day the HR guy in my company, who is one of the main offenders, talked about his wife and glossed the natural Japanese word he used ("okusan") to "waifu" for me.

I've heard plenty of otaku-speak here (some of my coworkers fit the type), and have read plenty of Niconico comments. The only time a Japanese person says "waifu" is when they're trying to say the English word "wife" in situations they feel English is necessary, or as part of larger borrowed idioms (for example, "trophy wife" was brought in wholesale as "torofiiwaifu", and isn't even really a common expression). Look it up on the Japanese web - the only place where "waifu" is mentioned in otaku connotations is as the Western equivalent of "ore no yome", and in non-otaku connotations it's mostly dictionaries and not real use.

• Locked thread