Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh hey, I saw you post the first part on your youtube channel and wondered if you were going to start a thread for this.

This is one of those games that, yeah, I agree just work best as an LP. Because I got to the...third? playable character and his mission infuriated me with its difficulty.

Readers at home who don't know: There's not really anything like checkpoints in this game. You can and will be killed in a heartbeat by some enemies, and that means repeating the whole level, and some of them are much longer than the ones we've seen thus far. If you make a mistake or get surprised by something, you are going to have to do it all over again.

There's something else that baffles and infuriates me about this game, but that is spoiler territory. Despite that, this is really one of the most fascinating games in the world and I wish there were more like them. They made an episodic remake of the original game for the PS3, as I recall, but I don't think they're really doing anything with it these days. It's a franchise that I'd like to see continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My father tells me from his time in the military and the sheriff's department that even really good shots--people who practice every day--can become terrible shots when stressed out, which I'm sure being in the dark with monsters might make you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Takeuchi owns. I've never played this before but I really hope he sticks around.

Keep an eye on his partner in later videos.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Boy I can believe that. I love how crazy these games get but I could never get there myself.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T4-N1jRuQA

tl;dw: He's a satire of knock-off King/Koontz types.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Duel posted:

Never played this one, but after watching SGF's short lp of NightCry this game in comparison looks top-notch graphically, story and gameplay wise. Toyama really nailed the atmosphere in this one as well.

I was going to say, after watching that kludgy jank, it's remarkable to watch a game that makes its awkwardness deliberate.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That's the part that bugs me, personally. There's never a reason for the person to do those things, and in some cases they are even counter productive to the character doing them, but they're super important for someone else they'll never meet! When it's all one character, you can have something approaching rational explanations like "the character figured it out because he bumbled into the earlier thing and remembered it" or even just "the character is a weirdo" but here everyone is a weirdo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

This is the stage that I couldn't beat when I rented the game back in the day. I could get pretty far but couldn't close the deal.

I wonder if an update to a game like this would work with a Dark Souls like death mechanic, where you have checkpoints through the level that revive you, but switches flipped and items collected remain flipped and collected. Sort of bringing the timey-wimey elements of the game more to the fore.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Also there's something that comes up later that, for me, takes that behavior and shifts it from immersion-breaking to immersive.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I like how it's not even the priest's idea. The Kojiro family is important enough they can make the doctor deliver their mail and make the priest conjure up god.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yep. There's a "do things" button that only calls up a really picky menu instead of the look/investigate button having a contextualized command to pick up/push over/etc.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, I didn't have a guide or the manual and hoo boy did I get frustrated. I wish I'd stuck with it, because I love some of the stuff that comes up later, but there's also stuff that comes up that I know I would have hated to actually play.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I forget. Did we play someone who unlocked the custodian shack, or is it just arbitrarily unlocked this time?

Love that face after our new character gets an earful of Akira's crazy grandpa ramblings.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 5, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

the game will develop them plenty, believe me

I think you could kind of think of a game like Siren like being an interactive version of Stephen King's the Stand or something. The cast is huge, but everyone has some kind of purpose even if its not particularly productive.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

davidHalestorm posted:

Also, I know that this is the Siren thread but I just want to give a shout out to SGF's play through of NightCry on his channel, I don't think I've ever seen SGF gets frustrated with a game before and this is a man that regularly trawls the depths of XBLIG.

I have also been following that playthrough with my kids and it is just dire. My daughter loves Jessica, though! Bless her silly little heart.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 5, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, there may be a character who exists solely to get [thing] so another character can have [thing] but goddammit it that was important!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Does the sound from your gunfire attract shibito if they're close enough? That rifle is loud enough that it should attract everything in the level, but they don't seem to take especial notice of it.

Maybe they just think it's one of their own riflemen taking care of business?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'm sympathetic because she appears to have been chewed up by an ugly system of exploitation, but it kind of has made her a miserable person. To say more than that would actually be kind of spoilers.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Xenolalia posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who has to keep re-watching all the previous episodes due to being confused by the timelines.

I'm pretty sure I had to watch the original LP twice, once in release order and once in time order, before I was sure I got it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, this is some sharpee and cat-fur-moustache adventure logic.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The second objectives sometimes add to the plot in interesting ways, and sometimes they are boneheaded wastes of time. Not every mission needed a second objective. And a lot of these second objectives could have been substantially more intuitive or interesting. Wet towel is definitely one but not the other, and several secondaries are neither.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

OldMemes posted:

Risa seems like the least developed playable character so far.

What do you mean? We just learned she is a compulsive treasure hunter! "I am about to be murdered by roaming zombie people, but oh my god there might be something under this clump of dirt I MUST HAVE IT EVEN IF IT MEANS MY DEATH!"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Oh those are coming

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

In your defense, Shoeless, I read your post and didn't even register you were hinting at spoilers. Maybe I wasn't really paying attention! But it didn't set off any alarm bells.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Reiko Takato was a goddamn hero.

She was a beast. A pure Momma Bear.

"Oh, here's an undying monster come to hurt me and my baby!" *caves its head in with a crowbar.* *caves in another* *and another.*

"Too many. Crowbar not enough. GET AWAY FROM HER, YOU BITCHES!" *blows them all up.*

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

What happens if - through sheer sgf-inate pro-gaming skill or just using cheats - you disable the 3 shibito near the end? Are they just invincible? Do they wake up immediately or does it spawn 3 new ones? Is there simply no other ending trigger?

From comments on youtube for the last video, it seems Reiko does not have the stamina to actually pull it off, so the game neuters you, essentially. I don't think anyone can confirm what happens if you somehow overcome the limitations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A lot of the second objectives would have been fine if they were optional, but my understanding is they are pretty much all required, and some are just plain dumb.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It's the Miyata clinic, and he was adopted by the Miyatas, as I recall. So perhaps he picked up on something his adoptive father had been up to, and acted on that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Yeah, sorry Ziege, defibrillators don't restart stopped hearts like jumping a dead car battery. They're for correcting some dysrhythmias.

Anyway, I suspect some weird poo poo is up with the red bags like everyone else, since I doubt we're using disappeared hospital blood bags.

Let's be fair: They are used to restart hearts in doctor shows all the time because no one making TV knows what the gently caress.

I like the theory the siren has to sound for someone who is dead at the time for them to turn. That sounds plausible.

My suspicion is most of the shibito we're meeting at the moment are from the disaster in the 70s, and probably most people who lived in Hanuda didn't come for the ride like the characters we've met. There could be a couple of reasons for this, but we know the ritual went wrong late at night, and while a lot of people were present, it didn't quite seem like a whole village's worth. It's possible that anyone who wasn't there was doing the sensible thing and just stayed at home, sleeping. Maybe if you're not awake to hear the siren, it can't whisk you off into the red water dimension?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 14, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Come to think of it, I do believe Akira calls her a stranger. And her behavior when she's forced to wander around suggests that she doesn't really know anything about the place.

People latched onto the "she must be from Hanuda" idea because she turns so readily into a shibito when other characters we know are from out of town seem to have held on so well. But she relinquishes herself to the red water entirely, unlike Yoriko and Kyoya.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

And More posted:

This fanart seems to imply that Kyoya defeats the siren by listening to some kickin' beats. :dance:

Also, why does everyone's hair colour change randomly as soon as they turn into an anime?

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Makes the drawings more interesting at a glance, I guess.

I've also read that there's often a code to things like hair color to hint at a character's personality or role in a story. Like, giving Kyoya and Shiro lighter hair might be saying they're special in some way.

But in this case I think it's more what the artist thought looked good for the character's color palette.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Perhaps "half-shibito" is just an awkward translation for characters that have only recently turned. To this point shibito has meant any kind of baddie, not just the buggified ones, while in this level the Maeda's are still fresh undead and are more concerned about the routines of their family life than building the nest.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I guess I can sort of understand why Reiko would do this, given that she's a local who is probably familiar with the prayer ritual. She goes around lighting the lanterns asking silently for divine intervention, but she doesn't expect to be answered by balls of light that vanish into the night and then don't do anything for two days.

It's just a baffling series of event that lead to this having to happen, and I wish they had found a way to make secondary objectives a part of getting an optional ending instead of simply mandatory for regular game progression.

Also, those pictures on those lamps don't really look like anything to me. The "lion" looked like a...dog? The "goat" looked more like a dragon to me. I could not say the "face" looked like anything at all.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Miike's Dead or Alive has a pretty huge swerve at the end where what has been a pretty taut gangster versus cop movie turns into, well, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxNdJ7aC6Is

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I am not sure an ending where you asplode all the baddies in a rockpocalypse can be called the bad end.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Huh, I thought Yoriko had shibito-fied based on that scene where she and Tamon were about to reunite and were interrupted by the prawn god / raging Aunt Flo intervention. All righty then.

I think it's more likely that the strangeness of her voice was from Tamon's perspective, and he was just starting to feel the first effects of turning.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You know, I wonder what happened to Kei's corpse. The clothes being burned makes sense as Shiro abandoning his old identity, but we've seen several people die--one of them in a fiery explosion!--and still come back as a shibito. Was the real Kei the first one to be on the receiving end of the Uryen?

And there is a lot to be said for being the guy who gets what needs to be done done. My understanding of Shinto is that if you do the wrong thing, you are damned regardless of your personal integrity and morals, but conversely, if you do the right thing, you don't have to actually be a good person to get a redemption. Shiro knew that the real Kei didn't have the knowledge or fortitude to do what was required, but he also believed "Shiro" wasn't worthy. Would Kei have given his life to power the cleansing fire? If not, then "Kei" would do what a spiritual leader must and free his flock from suffering.

And something else that might explain why the Onda sisters are here: Mina loved Shiro. He hates himself, and killed her when he found out she was pregnant in part because of his self loathing. We don't see the murder; did he strangle her or just hit her in a fit? No idea. But she still felt something for him. And Risa's connection to her sister means she channels her sisters emotions too. They can feel where "Kei" is going and follow him to the peak.

Still kind of hosed up how he has to put them down. They get a lot of poo poo for being victims in all this. And then they're "happy" to see him in the afterlife? Are they happy to see him because they're understanding and forgiving? Are they that way because they care about him or because they are moving on into the hereafter and so are beyond the petty concerns of who killed who and why? Are they tempting him to kill himself by jumping in the fire as a last act of revenge? Either way, hosed up serial killer man seems to have freed everyone (well not really, but a large number) from being trapped in rotting or mutating corpses and then died. Hooray!

Still have no idea where the uryen really came from and how they ended up in that hospital.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 14, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Grouchy Fish posted:

Why did Shiro kill Mina? I guess she was pregnant with his kid but that's not really an acceptable motive.

Shiro apparently really hates himself, and by extension any part of himself that might linger on, like children. Also, he's batshit. He can't imagine being a father, and seems like he either panicked or went cold psycho when he heard. In any other game, he'd absolutely be the bad guy, but here he's the villain you turn lose on the real big bad, and in the process he finds a kind of redemption.

Shiro's line about not wanting to be a monster sticks out to me, because it can be interpreted two ways. He seems to be saying that he doesn't want to turn into a shibito, but then he assumes Kei's life. So I see it as Shiro being aware that he's absolutely an awful person for what he's done, and becoming a different person gives him a chance to do better. But he still has to kill his brother to do that, but that's okay, because it's really "Shiro" that's dying. "Kei" lives on!

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 18, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Blood Curse is amazing for its conservation and merger of characters. One character become an amalgam of Harumi, Yoriko, Tomoko, and Hisako, which is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

One of the failings with Siren I think is they show you different ways things play out, but all the resolutions are seemingly canonical. We never are shown what would happen to Shiro if Kei didn't wet the towel. We just have to do it because if he didn't he couldn't get an ID that he apparently needed for time to flow correctly. Blood Curse shows the outcome of a failed timeline, which is good in my opinion of you're going to base your gameplay around repeating stages and doing them differently Groundhog Day style. I can't remember if Siren 2 does that or not.

• Locked thread