Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really hope not. If the argument is that she's just as annoying in both (which I don't necessarily buy) then what makes her insufferable in OVA2 would be the longer running length - and for the longer still length of a two cour series that would be loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The thing that confuses me right now is *why* the headmaster would make an exception for Akko and admit her to the school.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's sort of surprising that none of the other teams tried to cheat, given how lax the school seems to be on using magic on each other.

Diana seriously needs better friends. Those girls are the worst.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If you are too sniffy to like Harry Potter why the gently caress are you watching Little Witch Academia.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I have a shocking confession.

I'm getting a bit sick of the spell-gun.

The main problem is that it's kinda weedy, isn't it?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I liked the idea that a government minister would still be an earl, but maybe that is where post brexit Britain is going.

Also they shouldn't pick on the poor Japanese kid.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

also the annoying tory boy should bugger off

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The title of the series really alludes to the ending where Luna Nova is converted into an Academy by the Free School programme, after Ofsted placed it in Special Measures.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There will be a 40 year timeskip to Akko being a terrifying magical ecoterrorist who Diana has to take down.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think the 'magic is in decline' bit is certainly a relatively weak part of the worldbuilding, but maybe we aren't meant to believe it yet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, did Akko and company use magic in town during the night fall episode? Because Ursula/Chariot did when she was a young screwup. That may be an indicator of magic fading, as well as part of an explanation of why Ursula's such a shadow of her former self.

She did, for talking to the spirit of the pen.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You're got a goddamn Earl saying witches are the relics of a bygone era.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ironically (since HP was compared to this a lot, and incorrectly) LWA is more like Earthsea than Harry Potter.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, read through this. There's some pretty striking similarities. In particular, the main trio owe a lot more to Mildred, Maud, and Enid than they do to Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Akko is no Mildred. Mildred is simply clumsy, and just wants to be a normal, average witch. Ethel is a genuinely nasty person who is the antagonist in the series.

Like I said, Akko is more like Ged from Earthsea, someone who wants to fast track to Greatest Wizard but is undermined by their childishness.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Akko has shown zero aptitude for magic except for speaking fish.

Being chosen by the Shiny staff is pretty significant. Like Ursula puts it, she mainly falls down because she's being compared to the other students who have been doing this for years and years, but knowing she literally knew no magic a few months ago, being able to throw out repair magic, transformation magic, trigger the cinderella artifact without a hitch, (accidentally) raise the dead... those are significant things.

Darth Walrus posted:

Enid Nightshade, not Ethel Hallow. Diana is a (much) more sympathetic spin on Ethel.

My point is that Diana isn't much like Ethel at all. The Worst Witch books are basically driven by Ethel's emnity.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Anyway, regardless of how we interpret Akko, I think we can probably agree the school is way more The School of Magic at Roke than either Hogwarts or Miss Cackle's Academy for Witches?

quote:

"Roke is no longer where the power is in Earthsea. That's the Court in Havnor, now. Roke lives on its great past, defended by a thousand spells against the present day. And inside those spell-walls, what is there? Quarreling ambitions, fear of anything new, fear of young men who challenge the power of the old. And at the center, nothing. An empty courtyard. The Archmage will never return"

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 15, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Being the chosen one is much more like being Harry than anything else. Harry, in fact was not really terribly good at much magic except for flying a broom. His grades were always below average in most classes and was thrown into the wizarding world at a much later age than all of his classmates. He was only comparable to the rest of the wizards and witches because he had his unusually powerful artifacts like the sword, phoenix wand (comparable to the staff Akko gets) , and a couple of teachers who would surreptitiously bail him out from time to time (Snape/Dumbledore/Ursula).

If we have to get into this, the point I was making is character motivations. Both Harry and Mildred are similar in that they have adventures thrust upon them. Harry can't help but be the chosen one. The connection I draw between Ged and Akko is that both *seek out greatness*. So they tend to be instigators of the adventures they are involved in, instead of stuff happening reactively.

Akko is chosen - but there's no refusal of the call. In a Goblet of Fire situation Akko's name would not be put into the goblet due to shenigans, Akko would certainly put her name in there herself.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Most of the stories so far in LWA have been triggered by Akko's rivalry with Diana. It's just that it's... uhh... coming from the other direction.

A work can be heavily inspired by another work while flipping around some of its key elements, and 'what if the ordinary screw-up was kind of a jerk, and the snooty model student wasn't all that bad underneath it all?' is a pretty obvious reversal of convention. Kind of like how a work can be inspired by Star Wars while making Darth Vader the misunderstood hero. He's clearly still based on Darth Vader, he's just not evil any more.

Sure, you can switch around stuff, but I think the fundamental dynamic of a narrative about whether our character can achieve her ambition (vs one about whether our character can survive her enemy's plot) is more important in the comparison than surface elements like 'is our protagonist competent or not'. Mildred's kind hearted clumsiness is kinda fundamental to her character in the Worst Witch series. I suspect Akko's incompetence is being removed as the series continues - but her *ambition* will remain central to her role in the story.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

LWA would make a fantastic platformer if each of the girls had different abilities.

You haven't played Fortune Summoners?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Never heard of it.

It has its flaws but it's pretty much LWA the platformer.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Fangz posted:

There will be a 40 year timeskip to Akko being a terrifying magical ecoterrorist who Diana has to take down.

Hmmmm

I guess the right comparison is not Harry Potter, but Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 20, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

So you're saying that LWA is a prequel to LWA Fantasy 7 where Akko is Sephiroth?

Wrong game.

Akko
Koka
Keka
Kefka

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Wait for the ending being just a two-episode long John Galt speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Whaaaat, are you serious? Everyone's short and slim and a lot of them, like Lotte and Akko, don't seem to have quite lost that babyfat in the cheeks yet.

Akko has always looked, like, 11, maybe 12 to me.

Trying to guess ages from character designs in anime is always kinda screwy. Then again if Gurren Lagann is a guide Akko is actually 7 years old or something silly.

• Locked thread