Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The only problem with this is that Jasminka isn't throwing candy bars and bags of pretzels and potato chips. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

also i think if sucy touched a bible her hand would start smoking

No, the Bible would. :unsmigghh:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Doki doki no waku waku~!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Brexit didn't happen in this world. :unsmith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

it's a black shiny rod with purple as a secondary color. It's clearly got some conceptual continuity.

That rod is going to turn into Lazengann, isn't it?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nephthys posted:

Jesus.... And Croix was trying to stop Chariots show in the past. She was trying to stop her. Holy poo poo.

Edit: Also before there was a theory that Croix can't use magic anymore because she got hit by the pollen (shes never cast a spell in the show yet). I think theres a much better explanation now that fully justifies her bitterness towards Chariot.

Yeah, wow, I think the part that hit me the hardest was seeing how that fantastic and magical innocent extravaganza at the beginning of the show just took on a whole other level of darker meaning. It's like this beautiful, wonderful little event that enchants the audience (and the viewer) -- the reveal is just shocking! It's kind of like emotional whiplash, a sense of betrayal almost. Really well done episode!

To paraphrase the immortal words of some Paradox Forums poster:

quote:

The level of betrayal I felt when Chariot gave her show tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU&t=10s

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

by the way i forget if this was brought up in the thread but have you guys realized the implications the second ed pointed at all this time? i recall yoshinari saying that he was nervous because the second ed contained massive spoilers for the later episodes, and considering what was revealed in ep 22 it all makes a lot of sense.

Wait, what do you mean exactly I just rewatched the ed. Is it the various shapes that the star and Akko are transforming into?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

She dresses like a steampunk version of Dr. Strange!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

I'm actually kinda disappointed in the flashback of last episode. The twist of the one before - that Chariot turned dreams into magic, robbing people of their magic abilities - was a really dang good one; it turned the entire premise on its head, it's something Ursula could genuinely feel terrible for especially with Akko around, it makes her relationship with Croix more interesting, it sets up how both went about obtaining the final word in a wrong and therefore doomed attempt, and it makes things actually surprisingly ambiguous.

Aaaaand now it's revealed that Chariot was tricked, Croix came up with the whole thing, and it only happened once anyway. Would've seemed much more interesting to me if Chariot had actually come up and perpetuated the scheme herself, before stopping after eventually realizing what it really did. Not sure. I think this is one instance where the more cynical variant is actually better storytelling.

I sure hope the show takes the time to point out Croix' massive hypocrisy. "How can you blame me", indeed.

You're absolutely right. I totally agree with your point and felt the same way. It was poignant before the flashback because Chariot had something to really feel remorseful over, and would set up a clearer redemption arc. Having her just be tricked due to Croix's nefarious scheme takes it down to being pretty juvenile. The idea with Chariot being a hero that made a mistake helps make her much more human. Well, okay, it is a kids' show, but so is Avatar: The Last Airbender and that one totally had heroes making mistakes and having to work to fix them.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I like that they managed to play the old imagery of the dragon that Akko defeats with a bow at the end of the first LWA short into this episode. Nice callback!! That beeping and the missile/space rocket at the end is so ominous though! :ohdear:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

Wow, that was badass!
I bust out laughing as soon as Chariot unsheathed her lightsaber, and again when Croix deployed her AT Field. And what a cliffhanger, drat!

It even makes straight-up Star Wars goddamn lightsaber noises! VVRMM VRRM. I just wish Croix had had her own red one. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

livingfruitvirus posted:

The economics of TV in Japan are different. A lot of shows aimed at younger audiences air at night.

Yeah, doesn't like One Piece air at 8:00 PM primetime or something insane like that?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kibibit posted:

Yeah, we only just got to witness Akko flying on a broom, there's plenty of room to grow.

Expecto Patronum!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I finally got time to watch the final episode, and gosh, it was fun! That :jeb: scene was wonderful -- oh my god, guys did you see the animation there? All of Akko's transformations, and the (of course classic) "Gainax Missile Run", and all the squishy effects and the :) final explosion. Gosh it all looked so fantastic!!

Yeah, they really dilly-dallied in most of the episodes leading up to the last 5 or 6, but for what it was worth, I enjoyed every episode on its own as well. It left me with a light and happy feeling, and caught up in the simple joy of animation. I think the ultimate enjoyment of it is summed up in its motto - "A believing heart is your magic" - in order to really enjoy the show, you have to just believe in it and let yourself get carried away. And isn't that, in the end, the central conceit behind all animation?

I liked it!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

then why aren't they wearing those goofy british police helmets?

That's muggle cops! Of course witches and .... it looks like wizards (!!!) -- have their own cops with their own uniforms!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

SoL or gag anime LWA season when?

Just rewatch the first 16 episodes!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Malloc Voidstar posted:

according to the trigger panel if jasminka stops eating the demon inside her will end the world as revenge for the holodomor

Wait, really? Not kidding here? Because if so... :tviv:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think I know the plot for the third movie!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

And Hannah and Barbara have seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

So Netflix put the rest of the show up and oh my god I love Croix already.

Ah, have you seen the Dub version? How's she in that one? Based on the mixed reactions to the dub, I've been sort of staying away.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I met Akko at Matsuricon!

That's super cute! :swoon:

Now, I know that the nendo exists, but I still want Max Factory to start putting out LWA figmas. I would buy an adorable Akko or Sucy in a heartbeat!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Veritas vos liberabit.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Crossposting from the Surreal Daily Life Manga thread:

Knorth posted:

Are people here reading Witch Hat Atelier? 'Cause you should be

It's about little witches too! And the main character is a girl who loves magic!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

P-Mack posted:

I put this on for my kids and they watched five episodes in a row while I got to take a nap. Then they ran around pretending to cast spells on each other. So in conclusion I guess this is a great show for six year old girls!

Awww :kimchi: I knew that this was a great kids' show! I hope they learn all the magic spell incantations too so they can annoy you by repeating them over and over.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:perfect:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

P-Mack posted:

I'd pick it up if it was half price and/or on Switch.

Yeah, $50 is kind of a lot to shell out for a game these days, especially a side-scrolling beat-em-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Shere posted:

I dont know anything about it, but it got an Arby's ad. https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/996404838043996161?s=19

Wha-what? :psyduck: Why is Arby's so up on anime culture?? Do they just have a social media/marketing team that's inexplicably into anime or something?

• Locked thread