Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

First episode was perfect. Glad to know that Sucy is still the best

Was there ever any doubt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I love that Sucy had no plans to actually go to the academy.

It just kind of happened, and now she's rolling with it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, like how as previously mentioned, Diana is less of a popular bully and more a prodigy rival.

There were hints of it in the first version, with Diana being willing to admit her errors and seeming like she was going to offer to help with the parade before Akko went "WE DON'T NEED YOU!" in a preemptive strike, but yeah. She's definitely being shown in a better light. A lot of changes, but the characters still feel reasonably consistent with their first iterations.

Good show, Trigger.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Interesting.

I always kinda assumed that Professor Ursula was, well, the default look. She was a witch who put on this big act to inspire kids into magic as a career (and maybe take care of some problems on the side without raising a fuss), and then put things away once she couldn't hack it any more for one reason or another.

But that picture pretty clearly shows she was the same Shiny Chariot back in her school days. It could just be the magic community being tired of her poo poo and her making a fake identity just to hide away... but I kind of wonder if there's more going on here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

There was a few frames of Inferno Cop in there when Akko flew through someone's living room and you can't sneak it past me, LWA

Inferno Cop is everywhere, Dicktron. But most importantly, he's always in... our hearts.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kibibit posted:

Man, Akko can be such a butt sometimes.

Having finished the episode at the least she's a somewhat repentant butt

Akko is thoughtless.

She just charges into things with no idea why she might cause harm, and keeps going on sheer enthusiasm unless someone specifically points out how what she did hurts someone.

Once she finds out what she did was wrong she's willing to put quite a bit of effort into making things right, but she's not going to notice anything on her own.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Daedalus1134 posted:

GreatBen810 having the cosplay clock hands at 7:15 is blasphemy

Well, maybe to the plebeians who didn't read volume 211.

There, it was a bit of a plot point that the hands pointed to 7:15 at 8:10.

But oh, no. My mistake. It's easy to forget a minor thing like that. It's just how Belle recognized the quaint village she'd spent the last six months hiding in had been an interrogation camp for former British Intelligence agents. Not like it mattered, or set up an eight volume arc.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

But my power levels...

Sucy>>Everyone else.

There. Power levels done. Now back to the story.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sincx posted:

Wow some people really seem to hate Diana.

She's so perfect she makes me want to hurl.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Aurora posted:

Diana seemed more assholish this episode than previous ones

Probably because this time she knew exactly what was going on, and that Akko was just screwing everything up when she could solve it on her own.

There's a difference between "This person is endangering her own academic career" and "This person might ruin my entire life." in most people's books.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

Akko dies after she runs off on her own to fight a troll, Diana has to salvage the Shiny Rod from her corpse and save the school.

And Akko can learn how to ride a broom from Inferno Cop in hell!

He's such a good role model.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

So I guess Sucy's going to be Princess Toadstool now?

Among other things. Sucy contains multitudes.

Including at least one part of her that wants to smooch Akko. Those are the parts she brutally murders.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Something I liked about this episode, while we're on the topic of depth?

Most of the time shows do an episode like this, the moral would be Akko's "They're all the real Sucy!". Here, though, the moral was 'Hey, you know how you aren't crazy? That's because people judge their impulses, encouraging some and burying others. You disrupting Sucy's standard pattern of crushing everything not-Sucy about herself put the whole school in danger. It's who we choose to be, not our random neuron flares, that define us."

And it's the not-Sucy bits that wanted the Akko smooching, while the core Sucy wanted no part of it. If we're evaluating crush status.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

You know, if this anime moved at Kill la Kill speed, they'd be divorced by now.

But if it moved at Luluco speeds, Akko would have become the greatest of a new generation of witches, died, resurrected herself in the past to inspire Shiny Chariot in the first place, before being stopped by Sucy, now revealed as the secret founder of Luna Nova, whose secret plan revolves around turning Andrew into a puppet prime minister, impossible with a public so well aware of magic. The duel between Akko and Sucy would only be stopped by Constanze revealing she built the entire school into a robot just to counter such an event.

And in the second episode...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

skasion posted:

Really not debunking the Akko = Voldemort theory here

Who knew that Sucy stealing Akko's nose would have such drastic consequences?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Apparently in Ursula's day Titania was part of the faculty, which is quite a bit more impressive than say, a fish.

I dunno. Have you read Professor Pisces's dissertation? Something else, that.

Also, Akko continues, in her stumbling and bullheaded way, to make progress. She knows what she wants, and she knows what she will and won't sacrifice to get there, which is a pretty decent foundation, especially since she's willing to put in the hours.

Episode could use more Sucy, but that applies to pretty much everything that isn't episode 8, so it's not a crippling flaw. Good times.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm guessing...whatever hosed up the moon.

Did you notice how the drawing of the moon on the Blue Moon card is unscarred? Maybe between the time of printing and now, it got that big star mark--and maybe that has to do with why Shiny Chariot is lying low.

Personally, I blame Japanese motorcycle gangs and/or vegans.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

G6.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Fuckin' scab got what he had comin' if ya ask me. :argh:

poo poo like this is why I like Akko as the protagonist.

I liked the principle being proud of Akko's quick progress when they were at the negotiating table.

They were just both so happy with how Akko was succeeding at something.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Croix is CGI.

Croix's master plan in action.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Negrostrike posted:

Yeah I'm guessing it's like high school. The girls don't look so young.

I think they said somewhere that Akko's somewhere in the neighborhood of fifteen. Assuming Chariot's got a year on Croix (since they both won the relay race in different years), that would make Professor Ursula 29. Not particularly old, but not so young her being a teacher (especially the junior teacher the rest of the faculty dumps the poo poo jobs on) is at all odd.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Croix is a year older then Chariot it said.

Ah, 27 then. My mistake.

Still. About the right ballpark.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

She was bored. Luna Nova is stuffy and disciplined and Amanda is neither of those things. She explained at the start of the episode.

e: The best witch is Croix, because she wears a cape.

It's also brought up that she's been planning on quitting, off and on, for a long time, possibly her whole academic career.

Amanda finds school boring, and with Akko in study mode rather than living disaster area mode, it gets more boring.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Also maximum Andrew's dad rage.

The benefits just keep piling up!

Besides, if I've learned anything from anime, it's that the most likely pairing is the one prominently featuring variants on the phrase "It's not like I like you or anything".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kibibit posted:

:wrong:

the correct answer is Akko X Sucy, thanks for playing!

Sucy regularly murders the part of her that might want to kiss Akko, burying it alongside any impulse she might have to read Nightfall.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Luluco. You know the series being high fived in the title.

And yes.

It's only 13 episodes, about five minutes each, so it's not much commitment, and it's very fun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Chariot never got all the words so she doesn't know that the person who gains all 7 words and releases the seal dies in the process.

Fortunately, Akko doesn't realize it either, so she just becomes a ghost and continues with her life more or less unbothered, except now she doesn't have to worry about doors.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cryophage posted:

Can an Akko who can't trip over things *truly* be called an Akko?

She can still trip over nothing. And pratfall through floors, even!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Finally started this in earnest. I'm on like episode 5 now.

Went to look up some voice actors out of curiosity.

"Huh, Ursula and Chariot have the same voice actor ..." :downs:

Reminds me of how they tried to save money in Batman Begins by casting Christian Bale twice, but having him do a ridiculous growly voice so you didn't guess the same guy was Bruce Wayne and Batman. Nice try, Nolan.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

The moral here is quite clear. No good ever comes from wanting to blow up the moon. Also your favourite children's entertainer sells drugs to kids, innocence is a lie and hope is dead.

She wasn't selling drugs. She was stealing souls! Entirely different.

Parts of souls, even.

I like the balance they struck, where Shiny Chariot is still clearly the better person of the two (making the world a better place with nasty incidental costs V. starting WWIII over a drat soccer match), but she was involved in enough questionable actions that Croix's whole "Where the hell do you get off criticizing me?" is a legitimate position.

Never seriously crossed my mind that the prof would have things to feel legitimately guilty about, and it makes some parts of the show flow much better. Nice touch.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Something that is really inspiring but you get too hook onto it and you can't see how its derivative of the stuff that came before it?

Yeah. It's already been brought up that one of the inspirations for the show was Miyazaki talking about "Panda and the Magic Serpent".

It inspired him. He fell in love with it. It was the reason he went into animation. And when he went back to it...

Turned out it sucked eggs!

As a metaphor, it could also be pointing out how someone's initial desire to get into anime to make more stuff like the anime you liked (even if what you liked was, in and of itself, original and creative) can lead to just making more cookie-cutter imitations of what came before with no voice of your own. It's not fatal, hard work and just watching more stuff can fix it well enough, but the same things that give inspiration can prevent people from actually doing anything worthwhile with that inspiration. I mean, assuming this beat is primarily metaphor rather than something that came in from approaching the story as a story.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zeruel posted:

Yeah I checked there's 25 episodes scheduled, which means I'm worried about Akko's well being after realising what the ED could mean

What's the worst that could happen?

Akko dying?

We've seen what happens to Trigger protagonists when they die. They go to hell and meet Inferno Cop.

I'm sure Akko could get along with Inferno Cop. No need to worry.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Why can she do all of those superhuman things? It's not explained at all.

It's very simple.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sincx posted:

Good show. Here's hoping Netflix throws enough money at them for a season 2, but I'm not counting on it.

I really liked it, but I'm not sure it needs another season. Every major plot hook got wrapped up, the character arcs reached their natural endpoints for the show, all the major characters who could reasonably support an episode got at least one. I mean, Trigger's gotta Trigger, but it feels like we'd be better off with something new and crazy, not just retreading something good but done (and running a significant risk of ruining both traits.).\

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

solid series, and i'm grateful we got it but it could have had like ten times the amount of sucy in it

Yeah. Not enough Sucy is probably LWA's biggest flaw.

To be fair, it still has a much better Sucy percentage than almost any other show. Only Space Patrol Luluco can really compete.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I can't believe Akko would get between Chariot and Croix like that. Shameful.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mimir posted:

There's a lot of noodling and garbage in the back half, as expressed by Ursula getting explanatus interruptus two or three times and not managing to squeak out an "oh, by the way I'm Chariot, go do your thing we'll talk more about it later".

See, even with the backpeddling, I think the reveal managed to explain that pretty well.

She really didn't want to ruin Akko's dreams and confess that she was the architect of all her misfortunes. She knew she'd have to confess everything, but knowing you should do something isn't anywhere close to actually doing it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elfface posted:

Didn't you watch Luluco? It caught fire.

Even REVOCS is no match for BURNING JUSTICE.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hogama posted:

-Sucy is adopted. She was found abandoned with a bottle of poison in her basket. Her infatuation with poisons and mushrooms stems from a secret desire to find her real family by one day reverse-engineering the poison she was found with.
-Amanda is from a rich American family that owns a popular department store chain (Yoshinari's translator said "basically Walmart", but I don't know if those were Yoshinari's actual words). They made their fortune on the predictions of Amanda's grandmother, a fortune-telling witch. She recently passed away, so Amanda is attending Luna Nova to obtain the same fortune-telling powers.
-Constanze was diagnosed with a terrible illness when she was young. In order to save her life, her soul was pulled from her body. This stunted her development and is also why she cannot speak. Her soul now resides in the Stanbot. They did not go into detail about how that works.
-Jasminka eats constantly because she is possessed by a demonic spirit from Soviet-era Ukraine during a famine. If she stops eating, the effects could be literally apocalyptic.

...I think Trigger's taking at least some of the piss.

I mean, that is my default assumption about everything Trigger does, but this seems especially relevant now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Agronox posted:

Robot butlers. Advanced caveman civilizations. Dogs that smoke weed and solve mysteries

Diana kissing a boy.

• Locked thread